Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

In this fantasy scenario of Republican collapse, you'll probably instead see the Libertarians rise on the right rather than the Greens becoming a proper left party. The (former) GOP business wing won't hold for long under the Dems, there's too much conflict and they can't get the control they're after. Swing them to the Libs and they'll be able to easily dominate and a lot of the messages already there play well for their desires anyway. The Greens are a non-starter.

I can see a Republican exodus to the Libertarians, a few election cycles of total chaos where you have Republicans, Libertarians, and Democrats plus a bunch of lefty parties making a big push for national relevance, and an eventual Libertarians vs Democrats realignment with the Republicans dominating at the state level in a few of the most religious states for a while longer.

I mean, that or Dictator-For-Life Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Why the hell are we complaining about Octogenarian led Cuba?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowsbeak posted:

Actually for much the same reason we're complaining about the GOP. We're on the cusp of major change but everyone's impatient.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

showbiz_liz posted:

I can see a Republican exodus to the Libertarians, a few election cycles of total chaos where you have Republicans, Libertarians, and Democrats plus a bunch of lefty parties making a big push for national relevance, and an eventual Libertarians vs Democrats realignment with the Republicans dominating at the state level in a few of the most religious states for a while longer.

I mean, that or Dictator-For-Life Trump

Or Vox is right, we are on the cusp of a Linz crisis, and the constitutional convention of the state's will see the shift to a parliament (plus a bunch of republican poo poo)

I give this low odds mainly because another constitutional convention will be terrible

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cool, Aubrey McClendon is dead less than 24 hours after he was indicted on a conspiracy charge for price fixing oil and natural gas in Oklahoma.

What a shithead.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

Or Vox is right, we are on the cusp of a Linz crisis, and the constitutional convention of the state's will see the shift to a parliament (plus a bunch of republican poo poo)

I give this low odds mainly because another constitutional convention will be terrible

a modern constitutional convention would be insanity

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean even the original one almost devolved into a Civil War (hyperbole, but not by much).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

I mean even the original one almost devolved into a Civil War (hyperbole, but not by much).

You could argue that it did, it just took several decades.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phone posted:

Cool, Aubrey McClendon is dead less than 24 hours after he was indicted on a conspiracy charge for price fixing oil and natural gas in Oklahoma.

What a shithead.

Vehicular Seppuku

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

Considering that the only military force available was almost fanatically loyal to George Washington, the possibility of an actual war was remote. But the delegates loving up and not actually coming up with a workable Constitution? That was definitely a possibility.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They needed a system yesssss an industrial age machine.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah but if everyone perceives the alternative as worse, insanity wins. I think the potential of being out of power for years while the opposition has free rein during realignment could be seen as worse.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Crowsbeak posted:

Someone was complaining about conservative Cuban shitheads like a couple that are running for president. Then someone brought up a sideways "It's not like Cuba is all that horrible." And then a couple of people started South Parking it by saying both Batista and Castro killed a lot of people, which is loving hilarious. Really funny derail.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Phone posted:

What a shithead.
In possibly related news,

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Just read an article about that Robert Morrow character that won the Travis county GOP chairmanship.

Serious question, did he suffer some sort of horrific head injury earlier on in life? He seems to have absolutely no filter and impulsively says whatever jaw-droppingly toxic bullshit crosses his mind at any given moment. It's the sort of behavior I'd expect out of a person with a clinically diagnosed brain injury or at best an extremely immature teenager, not a fully functional adult and certainly not someone capable of holding elected office.

That said, he fits in perfectly with what the current Trump-friendly GOP is rapidly headed towards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phone posted:

What a shithead.

it sounds like he killed himself. he slammed his car fullspeed on high way into a wall. the car caught on fire and blew up. kinda hope he burned alive.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/02/news/chesapeake-ceo-dead-aubrey-mcclendon-car-crash/index.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Sanders just said Phish is one of the country's best bands.

#ImWithHer

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

#ImWithHer

These are neoliberal lies!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hahahah, that phrase ... something about it tickles me. The fact that it's used to describe this scumbag is ... even better.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

I'm very interested in your new Title. What on earth did you do?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

getting arrested for stabbing KKK members is civil disobedience

KKK were the ones getting stabby

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I really like this photo too

from here https://www.facebook.com/daviniphotography/media_set?set=a.1683258705280576.1073741863.100007893880732&type=3

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Should be captioned: "Wait for it..."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Talmonis posted:

who knows. I am not exactly a fan of some parts of the left. plus i have said that stupid youth will vote for trump because of stuff they see at colleges like the havard stuff.( i am not because trump would make everything a million times worse) i am voting for Bernie and if not him probably clinton. yes i have my petty annoyances with parts of the left but they are dwarfed by my dislike of the right in general. I am amused that someone got so "triggered"/ asshurt about one of my statements on GBS/D&D/TV/games, that they spent money to get me an avatar and red text.

FCKGW posted:

KKK were the ones getting stabby

what exactly happend?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am amused that someone got so "triggered"

I'm starting to think you earned it.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
In one of the videos from the KKK rally gone-awry my favorite moment was early when one of the black guys runs up the the Klan and goes "I'M A BLACK MAN!!! HERE I AM!!" and then proceeds to punch one or two Klansman straight in their faces.

Edit- Also at the same time the Klansmen yelling "Don't hurt that gentleman! Don't hurt that gentleman!" Hahaha "Gentleman"

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 2, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what exactly happend?

Here my favorite take
http://www.ocweekly.com/news/kounter-protesters-kick-ku-klux-klan-rear end-in-anaheim-7004844

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Xarthor posted:

In one of the videos from the KKK rally gone-awry my favorite moment was early when one of the black guys runs up the the Klan and goes "I'M A BLACK MAN!!! HERE I AM!!" and then proceeds to punch one or two Klansman straight in their faces.

While technically assault and battery and absolutely against the law, I'm glad that jury nullification exists in such cases.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so a street brawl. good on people loving up Klansman, it doesnt happen enough.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

#ImWithHer

Burlington's finest. :patriot:

Could he be any more Vermont?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
In Iowa is pretty awesome when it comes to letting people vote.

A bill to allow 17 year olds to participate in state primaries if they will be 18 before the general election has been OKed by the Iowa Senate. This is cool and good. Maybe next we will do week long voting for elections.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Mr Hootington posted:

A bill to allow 17 year olds to participate in state primaries if they will be 18 before the general election has been OKed by the Iowa Senate. This is cool and good. Maybe next we will do week long voting for elections.

I thought all states did this? We do it in Oklahoma, at least, and our voting laws are definitely not super open.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

In the right wing populist thread, some people had the sentiment of "The Democrats are focusing too much on minorities identity politics, so I may as well vote with Trump for my identity".

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Kro-Bar posted:

I thought all states did this? We do it in Oklahoma, at least, and our voting laws are definitely not super open.

At least in Iowa, 17 year olds were already allowed to caucus if they turn 18 but election day, and it seems that this new bill extends that to primaries, for Congressional races and such.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

In the right wing populist thread, some people had the sentiment of "The Democrats are focusing too much on minorities identity politics, so I may as well vote with Trump for my identity".

You must surely have the liberal scout badge of "calls people racist the most". If you're white, that's loving hilarious

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

You must surely have the liberal scout badge of "calls people racist the most". If you're white, that's loving hilarious

I mean I didn't buy it either. If I wanted to spend money on titles I would've changed this one by now.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

#ImWithHer

Welcome, Friend. Your Chillary Kozy is the mail.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mr Hootington posted:

Noice. I think that already exists here in WA. I know 17 year olds are allowed to caucus if they will be 18.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Caucusing by minors should be banned on the basis that it will prematurely disillusion them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

thanks these are great

• Locked thread