Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Divide Texas into five, if you rig it right you'll get +8 for Senate Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Could the problem be that any suggestion they make for a justice is either too liberal for the Tea Party or so Conservative that Obama can laugh it off as not being serious.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Could the problem be that any suggestion they make for a justice is either too liberal for the Tea Party or so Conservative that Obama can laugh it off as not being serious.

No, the problem is that suggesting anyone at all would entail compromising and backing down from the ultimatum of "no one."

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/breakingpol/status/705121603282214912

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trollbama continues to be best Bama:

quote:

In a Senate floor speech in 2013, Mr. Grassley effusively praised Judge Kelly, who has spent her career in Iowa and is well regarded in legal circles there. He quoted from a letter from retired Judge David R. Hansen, a Republican appointee, who called her a “forthright woman of high integrity and honest character” and a person of “exceptionally keen intellect” before voting to confirm her for the appeals court post. “I congratulate Ms. Kelly on her accomplishments and wish her well in her duties,” Mr. Grassley said at the time. “I am pleased to support her confirmation and urge my colleagues to join me.”

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:laffo: Grassley you poo poo

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Trollbama is great and all, but when can we expect to see an actual nominee?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So they've basically trawled through all the transcripts and found every single circuit judge Republicans have effusively praised.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

showbiz_liz posted:

It generally takes a few weeks to vet a nominee. You do a really intrusive and frankly creepy vetting because you know the other side will as well. Someone is busy asking each potential nominee every detail about their sex life, among other things.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

The Atlantic:"Obama offered to seriously consider candidates put forward by Republicans, but neither McConnell nor Grassley would name any."

The majority leader and the judiciary committee chairman couldn't even name one single judge they'd consider for the supreme court when asked. You couldn't even bring a list of right wing nutjobs that you could blame Obama for refusing to nominate?
:ughh: They're not even pretending to give a poo poo about running the country.

Obama made a major tactical mistake in offering to nominate Calipari instead of Pitino. This has just further entrenched Mitch.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

quote:

In 2004, Kelly was attacked while jogging in a park in Cedar Rapids, and was brutally beaten and left barely conscious; her assailant was never identified.

Scalia.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

The day after Trump wins the nomination

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilweasel posted:

It generally takes a few weeks to vet a nominee. You do a really intrusive and frankly creepy vetting because you know the other side will as well. Someone is busy asking each potential nominee every detail about their sex life, among other things.

Of course this round of vetting comes with the added bonus of making sure whoever is nominated is both cool with being trashed for almost a year and won't lash out or in some entirely reasonable way express frustration with month 9 of being widely and publicly labeled a demonic communist sent from hell to destroy America while cackling.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Interesting Twitter Stuff about today's abortion arguments:

https://twitter.com/MikeSacksEsq/status/705099706087690243

https://twitter.com/JoshACLU/status/705112741095325696

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How long until Obama leaks that he's looking at Trump's sister

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FAUXTON posted:

Trollbama continues to be best Bama:

"The American people should decide" gives them what they see as a nice out for any of their previous statements.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DOOP posted:

How long until Obama leaks that he's looking at Trump's sister

He's taking his time to let the leaks get their full troll value before the next one. So probably Friday at the earliest. Maybe wait until the next big primary election day and have someone mention he was looking at her record, see how much chaos that causes.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Gyges posted:

Honestly, making a big show out of holding your breath and shaking your head seems to be the dumbest play. Instead of just yelling NO and refusing to even talk about a nominee it seems like it would be much more platable to the public to just slow everything down to a crawl and simply vote against every single most liberal nominee ever that Obama puts up. He's not going to cave and nominate clone Scalia, so you get to block the President while still at least maintaining the fig leaf of productivity. Oh we want to fill this important seat but mean old Obama just keeps giving us unacceptable candidates.

It seems like it's not only easier to sell but it also makes you look like you're actually blocking Obama. It's like a vote to repeal Obamacare that actually works!

Obama's black and the people who elect McConnell and his ilk love it when their white Senators put him in his place. One of the main reasons Obama's seen so much obstructionism is that the GOP base gets a racist vicarious thrill seeing Obama thwarted at every turn.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Called her.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But then again, you have Kennedy signaling that he wants to just send it back to the lower courts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

Obama's black and the people who elect McConnell and his ilk love it when their white Senators put him in his place. One of the main reasons Obama's seen so much obstructionism is that the GOP base gets a racist vicarious thrill seeing Obama thwarted at every turn.

The nyt is the only msm organ that calls them on this

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Another woman justice and a former public defender would be cool. It'd be nice to see what sort of spotlight gets shined on Grassley if he'd ignore her nomination too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shageletic posted:

But then again, you have Kennedy signaling that he wants to just send it back to the lower courts.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a 4 liberal majority, kennedy concurrence saying it should be sent back down for more info, and alito/roberts/thomas dissent?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jesus alito is a gigantic piece of poo poo. What an rear end in a top hat.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Jesus alito is a gigantic piece of poo poo. What an rear end in a top hat.
No poo poo. He seriously sees no problem in a dozen clinics closing in Texas, as if that number is as insignificant as closing a dozen Best Buys or McDonald's. You can just go to the next town over, right?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its fun how much of the questioning is just rhetorical tap dancing. the guy defending texas put on a great show of "the densest motherfucker on the planet".

:j: "so whats the point of this regulation?"
:downs: "oh, gee, to protect the health of women"
:j: "hmmm but these other things are more dangerous?"
:downs: "well the legistlature can do whatever it wants and they must really care about women's health!"
:j: "you dont think they wanted to, say, stop women getting abortions?"
:downs: "oh heavens no that would be unconstitutional, they really just want your heartless babykilling antics to be safe as possible!"

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Oh hey, Chuck has an update about the nomination.

US Senator Chuck Grassley posted:

However, in his post, President Obama six times states that he “appoints judges to the Supreme Court.” From that fundamental misunderstanding, he reveals that the person he will nominate, not appoint, will be someone whose decisions are not tied to the Constitution’s text.

That is some pro tier mean spirted and deceptive pendancy. It's almost like Scalia never left us.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Doesn't the constitution say the president 'shall nominate' and 'shall appoint' justices? :confused:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ceiling fan posted:

That is some pro tier mean spirted and deceptive pendancy. It's almost like Scalia never left us.

:laffo: that is petty as gently caress

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerkface posted:

Doesn't the constitution say the president 'shall nominate' and 'shall appoint' justices? :confused:

Yes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jerkface posted:

Yes it does.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ceiling fan posted:

All I'm seeing there is a pile of :goonsay: and :qq:. Looks like Trollbama has gone to work after all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Isn't there some hypocrisy in giving full weight to the clause "and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate" in the President's ability to appoint judges while also ignoring "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" in the 2nd Amendment?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jerkface posted:

quote:

He shall have power, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by law: but the Congress may by law vest the appointment of such inferior officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the courts of law, or in the heads of departments.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
From USPOL

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jonathanhsinger/status/705398978787954688

It was dead even two weeks ago. Interested to see if this is just poll disagreement or if public opinion is actually shifting on this.

I hope Obama goes with Jane Kelly, I think she has the best chance.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't there some hypocrisy in giving full weight to the clause "and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate" in the President's ability to appoint judges while also ignoring "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" in the 2nd Amendment?

No?

The equivalent example you'd be looking for is something like:

quote:

he shall nominate, and being that they are in good moral character, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court [...etc]

(emphasis on the changed passage)

In this scenario, there's no explicit call for the Senate (or Congress at all) to be involved. Conversely, the scenario you're imagining with the Second Amendment would be something like:

quote:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except where Congress may deem necessary.

In this scenario, Congress has the ability to set laws, so any anti-gun laws would be fine (except I guess state level laws might still be in conflict, but you get the idea).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tiler Kiwi posted:

its fun how much of the questioning is just rhetorical tap dancing.
The part that kills me is when someone falls into the very obvious trap set by the liberal wing. (Paraphrased)

:bigtran: : isn't making them travel 100 miles terribly inconvenient?
:v: : they can just go over state lines to the nearest state! That's like 20 miles away
:bigtran: : I thought the point of this was to make sure the women in your state were protected medically. Why say they can go somewhere that doesn't set the same standards for medical care
:suicide:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Here's a pretty entertaining, informative, and quick highlight of the Whole Women's Health oral arguments

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mitt Romney posted:

From USPOL

I hope Obama goes with Jane Kelly, I think she has the best chance.

Yup. Plus, I want to see Grassley squirm. I dunno what percentage of Iowans think that the Senate needs to let Obama nominate someone, but I bet that number increases when that nomination would be someone who has worked in Iowa for years, had bi-partisan support from Iowa's senators when she was appointed to the appeals court, and was the fastest from nomination to appointment of any judge in Obama's tenure. gently caress you, Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

FilthyImp posted:

The part that kills me is when someone falls into the very obvious trap set by the liberal wing. (Paraphrased)

:bigtran: : isn't making them travel 100 miles terribly inconvenient?
:v: : they can just go over state lines to the nearest state! That's like 20 miles away
:bigtran: : I thought the point of this was to make sure the women in your state were protected medically. Why say they can go somewhere that doesn't set the same standards for medical care
:suicide:
This seems like an easy trap to step out of "I trust the other states to appropriately regulate their medical facilities, if your concern is convenience why are you pretending other states don't exist?"