Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A/dp/B00V62XBQQ

200gb sandisk 90MB/s RW for a cool $80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

I would use that microSD card. Actually since there's no adoptable storage support in the S7 you don't even need one that fast.

True, no adoptable storage, but if anyone is planning on writing 4k video directly to the SD card, you want a U3 spec, which this one is. So many people go "oh, class 10 - fast enough!" and the write speeds are far too slow for large bandwidth write needs. The $9.99 Best Buy special will be fine for playing saved songs and movies, but if you are writing heavy amounts of data, you gotta step up to a higher spec (U3) one, like this post.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

eightpole posted:

Touchwiz owns and will be remembered fondly by 00s kids in the future

All of pre-2016 will be remembered of fondly after the Trumpocalypse. Adults will reminisce about a time when phones weren't made in America by white Americans and cost $2,000 and fall apart in six months.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
A few years ago I recall there being a couple battery saving technologies rolled out a few years ago that I haven't heard anything about recently. One was panel self-refresh, which was featured in the LG G2. The other was featured in, I think, the N5, and if I recall correctly was supposed have a feature that allowed the phone to stay in low power mode while playing music. Both seemed like features that would become mainstream, but I haven't heard a peep about either since 2013 or so. Did they just get rolled into every phone and aren't worth talking about or did they get dropped for some reason?

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Lol I love this thread :downsgun:

The clearly superior option is on-screen grip tape.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

A few years ago I recall there being a couple battery saving technologies rolled out a few years ago that I haven't heard anything about recently. One was panel self-refresh, which was featured in the LG G2. The other was featured in, I think, the N5, and if I recall correctly was supposed have a feature that allowed the phone to stay in low power mode while playing music. Both seemed like features that would become mainstream, but I haven't heard a peep about either since 2013 or so. Did they just get rolled into every phone and aren't worth talking about or did they get dropped for some reason?

There are always little incremental improvements and tweaks, but mostly they aren't worth talking about. Doze mode is worth talking about and should be in everything running Marshmallow (although not as much benefit if you never set your phone down for a bit).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AT&T and Sprint have joined T-Mobile in shipping out Galaxy S7 orders.

Verizon continues to be Verizon.

plainswalker75 posted:

Is the system partition on the S7 roughly the same as previous versions? E.g. around 6GB?

It's up to 8GB.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This phone is in my dreams, my brain is an rear end in a top hat.

Is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013P1M69I?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1 a good, fast microSD card?

Yes, but is 32 GB enough? (It isn't for me unfortunately. :( ) I ended up getting 128GB Samsung EVO+. I don't plan on recording 4K videos on my phone so the EVO+ is at a good price/performance spot for me (though I have heard that there are fakes... so fingers crossed :ohdear:)

lethial fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 2, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Not in 2016 it isn't. Even if all your stuff's in the butt, apps still take up space and they're getting nice and unwieldy. Which makes adding a 32 GB card to a 32/64 GB phone kind of a 'what's the point' affair.

And yeah, the killer app for UHS3 is recording UHD video without hitting system storage, and UHD video is huge. Really, recording photo/video is actually a decent excuse for an SD card because the system doesn't have to use system storage for both the phone's tasks and whatever you're recording at the same time.

EDIT: Waaaait; none of those offers are from Amazon or Samsung, and in my experience 'fulfilled by' doesn't count. :rip:

Rastor posted:

AT&T and Sprint have joined T-Mobile in shipping out Galaxy S7 orders.

Verizon continues to be Verizon.

Every carrier is iPhone, Nexus or despair, because phones in general are iPhone, Nexus or despair. Verizon is just up-front about it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 2, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
To further confirm the imminent death of the app drawer, apparently you can already turn it off in the Galaxy S7.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

Act before it's too late. Return that POS and get a Nexus phone before it metastasizes!

On a serious note, why should I get a nexus over an s7 edge? I'm looking for real reasons and not "it's cancer"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nobody can answer that question because this thread explodes when someone attempts to.

Some people think the software and UI is better in Nexus phones, and the amount of confidence you can have about getting future updates for the longest period if time is probably higher on the Nexus.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

grimcreaper posted:

On a serious note, why should I get a nexus over an s7 edge? I'm looking for real reasons and not "it's cancer"

Nexus devices are always going to get the fastest updates and have the purest version of Android, and are generally supported the longest out of all Android devices.

More specifically with the Nexus 6P versus the Galaxy S7 Edge, the 6P has front-facing speakers, a slightly larger screen (though not necessarily a better one, though at this level it's all varying degrees of great), and the metal body is almost certainly going to prove more durable than the curved glass back on the S7 Edge.

How much all of this matters is up to you (the camera, expandable storage and relatively small size are all pushing me to the standard S7, personally), but those are generally considered the big advantages.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

grimcreaper posted:

Nexus is Android without OEM dickery.

One of the nice side effects of this is that they actually bother with point upgrades and security updates continue longer than 'keeping people from fleeing the brand' would dictate. They also happen faster because Google doesn't have to figure out how to integrate their mess with Google's latest patches the way an OEM would. And no one's fighting carriers to get a patch approved anymore (we don't talk about the Nexus 6).

Sure you're maybe missing out on a couple of high-vis features that can admittedly be pretty nice, but that's a small price to pay to get a phone whose vendor support extends further than "it's got marshmallow the gently caress else you want"*, and with the modern security landscape and phones increasingly being a one-stop shop to successfully impersonate you if they fall in the wrong hands, I'd take the vendor support every single time.

*LG and Samsung are better-ISH about this, but your S7 is still getting dropped like a rock when the S9 or whatever comes out, and probably just in time for the discovery of the annual security goatse. Most other OEMs (and even LG and Samsung phones that aren't on TV) are literally this though. If they even get Marshmallow.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 2, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Daily Forecast posted:

You're the one talking about how people 'pollute their lives' as if anyone has ever legit suffered or had worse lives from buying a Samsung smartphone. I'm just calling you out on your stupid poo poo, is all.

That commercial is legit hilarious and I think it might have convinced me to get an S7.
Went to a VZW store tonight to switch my 6P to them. They had a couple S7Es on display. Thin, lightweight, nice screen. Didn't spend long playing with it. Available unlocked, with front speakers, stock android, and (an additional) rear fingerprint reader it'd probably be worth the same $500 I spent on the 6P to me. Is it better than a 6P as is? Debatable. But its not 60% better.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

grimcreaper posted:

The Nexus is the Bernie Sanders of phones. The S7 Edge is Hillary Clinton.

E: OPO is Drumpf, Blackberry is Jeb Bush, Apple is Marco Rubio.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Whizbang posted:

E: OPO is Drumpf, Blackberry is Jeb Bush

lmao

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Whizbang posted:

Apple deserves better than that.

OnePlus deserves worse.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Holy poo poo.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
OPO is the fedora of phones

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nova Launcher Prime is on sale for a buck for anyone who doesn't have it yet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Apple deserves better than that.

Declares victory repeatedly despite losing market share, backed by talking head establishment, flagging enthusiasm among supporter base ... it checks out.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

broken clock opsec posted:

Declares victory repeatedly despite losing market share, backed by talking head establishment, flagging enthusiasm among supporter base ... it checks out.

You're going to set off cremnob's spider-sense and I don't think this thread can handle him AND Smythe at the same time.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

The debate on this stuff is so weird. If the Nexus line had a phone that had what I wanted in it, I would buy one. They don't though. The 6p is loving huge and the 5x suffers from serious performance issues from what I'm reading. I don't want a big phone. I also don't want a Samsung, but it seems like they're the only one not making a big loving phone in 2016 so there you go. Maybe that makes me some kind of rube who doesn't know what's best for me but whatever.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

My big draw the S7 edge right now is the VR headset. Yes, i like gimmicky tech. But i also want to get an idea on how the Oculus Rift will feel and if its something i would eventually buy into. Samsung has also kinda hit the right notes on the hardware and aesthetics for me and Touchwiz isnt bad. Ive never understood why people hate it.

I got my Note 3 on its launch day, and it has run smooth up until a few months ago when the digitizer started acting up. It doesnt register some taps and does the same thing with the s-pen. Its not an overly huge issue yet, but it has gotten worse over the last few weeks.

On the other hand, the 2 people i know with Nexus 5x's have both had serious issues with thermal throttling. They look like great phones provided you never need to run the cpu pretty hard. But, why have that power if the the only way to actually use it is to hard-mod your phone?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I get in my car, my phone pairs with it via bluetooth. If I call someone via the car controls, or someone calls me and I answer with them, despite the fact that my phone is in my pocket it gets unlocked. I find myself inadvertently setting alarms, creating blank notes, etc. and so I wondered if anyone knows of a way to mitigate this? Aside from keeping my phone in my pocket - so far I just preemptively press the lock button when I call or answer which is kind of irritating.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The 5x just isn't comparable to the S7 or the 6P. It's in a different, cheaper class.

Without having played with the S7 (so I'm just assuming/speculating), you can probably expect your tradeoffs vs the 6P to work like this: The S7 will have better quality hardware/camera, but negligibly so. You might like the size/shape/aesthetics of one over the other, but if you fall on S7 side on size/shape/aesthetics, you have to weigh that against the higher probability that the 6P will receive more frequent OS updates for a longer period of time. I doubt most people will notice a performance difference between the two, and if you're one of the people who would, you know who you are.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

grimcreaper posted:

My big draw the S7 edge right now is the VR headset. Yes, i like gimmicky tech. But i also want to get an idea on how the Oculus Rift will feel and if its something i would eventually buy into. Samsung has also kinda hit the right notes on the hardware and aesthetics for me and Touchwiz isnt bad. Ive never understood why people hate it.

I got my Note 3 on its launch day, and it has run smooth up until a few months ago when the digitizer started acting up. It doesnt register some taps and does the same thing with the s-pen. Its not an overly huge issue yet, but it has gotten worse over the last few weeks.

On the other hand, the 2 people i know with Nexus 5x's have both had serious issues with thermal throttling. They look like great phones provided you never need to run the cpu pretty hard. But, why have that power if the the only way to actually use it is to hard-mod your phone?

Why would you want a "vr headset" that involves you having to strap your phone to your face

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Valeyard posted:

Why would you want a "vr headset" that involves you having to strap your phone to your face

Because the experience is by all accounts pretty enjoyable and the outlay is $99 (or $0 with S7 preorder) vs. $$$$ for other VR headsets?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

On Terra Firma posted:

The debate on this stuff is so weird. If the Nexus line had a phone that had what I wanted in it, I would buy one. They don't though. The 6p is loving huge and the 5x suffers from serious performance issues from what I'm reading. I don't want a big phone. I also don't want a Samsung, but it seems like they're the only one not making a big loving phone in 2016 so there you go. Maybe that makes me some kind of rube who doesn't know what's best for me but whatever.

FWIW - I have a 5X and while the issues aren't constant, they are frequent and seem to be getting worse with the lag and stuttering and it reboots itself a few times a week. Most of the time, I only have Play Music + 1 Chrome window running.

I bought into all the bullshit in this thread about "Nexus is the best!" and thought, I don't want a hugephone running an 810 that I can bend in half, so 5X it is! A nexus is a nexus right?

Now I have severe buyers remorse, 4 months later. I can't believe I spent my own money on this and frankly, the Nexus line and stock android have no real appeal or benefits from my Z2 on Lollipop, other than as a pure test/dev device for apps ( I'm playing around with the Android SDK ).

Waiting for a local telco to offer the G5 since I can't afford an outright purchase anymore ( thanks 5x ), although maybe I could re-sell it...

The only upside though is that the camera for the 5x is really quite nice and takes great pictures. :unsmith:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TollTheHounds posted:

FWIW - I have a 5X and while the issues aren't constant, they are frequent and seem to be getting worse with the lag and stuttering and it reboots itself a few times a week. Most of the time, I only have Play Music + 1 Chrome window running.

I bought into all the bullshit in this thread about "Nexus is the best!" and thought, I don't want a hugephone running an 810 that I can bend in half, so 5X it is! A nexus is a nexus right?

Now I have severe buyers remorse, 4 months later. I can't believe I spent my own money on this and frankly, the Nexus line and stock android have no real appeal or benefits from my Z2 on Lollipop, other than as a pure test/dev device for apps ( I'm playing around with the Android SDK ).

Waiting for a local telco to offer the G5 since I can't afford an outright purchase anymore ( thanks 5x ), although maybe I could re-sell it...

The only upside though is that the camera for the 5x is really quite nice and takes great pictures. :unsmith:

If your phone is rebooting itself a few times a week its faulty and you should rma it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

If your phone is rebooting itself a few times a week its faulty and you should rma it

No thanks, I'd rather wallow in sorrow and complain to my buddies in the Android Thread. Why won't anyone make a good, affordable phone!?!

Seriously though, Google's support is super easy to use. Use it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I don't think my N5x had ever rebooted on its own and I do a hell of lot more with it then just music and chrome.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not happy to have just one partially supported mobile payment system that uses tech that can generally be included in POS terminals, Google wants to launch a Bluetooth based payment system now complete with visual verification of identity.

http://m.androidcentral.com/google-starts-testing-hands-free-mobile-payments-app

I'm sure this will see a swift rollout and prompt adoption from all the credit card companies.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Skarsnik posted:

Internet Explorer posted:

No thanks, I'd rather wallow in sorrow and complain to my buddies in the Android Thread. Why won't anyone make a good, affordable phone!?!

Seriously though, Google's support is super easy to use. Use it.

I love this thread. I always forget I have to include literally every single thing I've done in my troubleshooting steps before posting a comment to prove myself, leading to making this several paragraph long effort post no one will read anyway.

Here's the thing - I already have an open ticket with Google hardware warranty but to get it RMA'd the issue has to occur when in Safe Mode. Since it is intermittent in nature, over the past 2 weeks where I go into Safe Mode for a 24-48 hours ( as their support requested ) it just conveniently hasn't happened. I can't leave my phone in safe mode 24/7 for a full week or 2, it is my only phone and I would like to use it as such. I could lie and say that it happened but I imagine when they get it they'll do diagnostics on it and be able to prove it didn't happen - now what that might mean for me I don't know, maybe nothing, maybe if I have an actual hardware issue in the future I'll have to pay, but I'm hesitant to find that out just yet. So a few times a week I'll put it into Safe Mode for a few days to see if I can get it to happen again, maybe if I ever go on vacation, or this starts severely impacting me or pissing me off even more ( haven't reached my threshold yet ) I'll put it into Safe Mode for the entire duration.

It's possible it could be 3rd party app related ( whether I'm actively running them in memory or not ) I am fully aware, but it's confusing because I haven't added a single app I didn't have already on my Z2 that ran without issues. Now, that could also be a Lollipop vs. Marshmallow app compatibility issue, and if that is the case then "Nexus" is not really the best is it, if it means unstable apps for a period of months ( or potentially longer )? Then the answer is "don't use those apps" isn't it? So then I have to start checking with developers to see if/when their apps are going to be verified 100% compatible with Marshmallow? Is that honestly something I should have to do, after buying a phone that is supposed to work better than any other due to its pure OS?

My overall point in my original post was that in this thread, the Nexus line is glorified as the be-all end-all ultimate best phone and everything else is garbage by a majority of posters. However, that simply isn't the case, unless you have a 6P apparently. In that case, it is "Nexus 6P is the best" and not "Nexus is the best", as long as you are OK with the caveats included with that phone.

[edit] Amazing - it just rebooted while I was typing this, moments before I was going to put it into Safe Mode.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Please

Please don't go away App Drawer :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TollTheHounds posted:

I love this thread. I always forget I have to include literally every single thing I've done in my troubleshooting steps before posting a comment to prove myself, leading to making this several paragraph long effort post no one will read anyway.

Here's the thing - I already have an open ticket with Google hardware warranty but to get it RMA'd the issue has to occur when in Safe Mode. Since it is intermittent in nature, over the past 2 weeks where I go into Safe Mode for a 24-48 hours ( as their support requested ) it just conveniently hasn't happened. I can't leave my phone in safe mode 24/7 for a full week or 2, it is my only phone and I would like to use it as such. I could lie and say that it happened but I imagine when they get it they'll do diagnostics on it and be able to prove it didn't happen - now what that might mean for me I don't know, maybe nothing, maybe if I have an actual hardware issue in the future I'll have to pay, but I'm hesitant to find that out just yet. So a few times a week I'll put it into Safe Mode for a few days to see if I can get it to happen again, maybe if I ever go on vacation, or this starts severely impacting me or pissing me off even more ( haven't reached my threshold yet ) I'll put it into Safe Mode for the entire duration.

It's possible it could be 3rd party app related ( whether I'm actively running them in memory or not ) I am fully aware, but it's confusing because I haven't added a single app I didn't have already on my Z2 that ran without issues. Now, that could also be a Lollipop vs. Marshmallow app compatibility issue, and if that is the case then "Nexus" is not really the best is it, if it means unstable apps for a period of months ( or potentially longer )? Then the answer is "don't use those apps" isn't it? So then I have to start checking with developers to see if/when their apps are going to be verified 100% compatible with Marshmallow? Is that honestly something I should have to do, after buying a phone that is supposed to work better than any other due to its pure OS?

My overall point in my original post was that in this thread, the Nexus line is glorified as the be-all end-all ultimate best phone and everything else is garbage by a majority of posters. However, that simply isn't the case, unless you have a 6P apparently. In that case, it is "Nexus 6P is the best" and not "Nexus is the best", as long as you are OK with the caveats included with that phone.

[edit] Amazing - it just rebooted while I was typing this, moments before I was going to put it into Safe Mode.

A simple "I've already opened a ticket with Google and they are giving me the run-around" would have probably worked. No one claimed that the Nexus 5x was ever the best phone on the market, period. But it sounds like yours has a hardware defect or you have a buggy app. Personally, I would wipe the thing and install minimal apps for a few weeks. If it still did it, I would tell them it rebooted while in Safe Mode. They aren't going to go through the effort to "catch" you and at that point, it's really on them. They maintain Android and they shouldn't allow apps to be able to crash the phone, and if they do, they should be able to have you get logs that can pinpoint the issue without crippling your phone with Safe Mode for an extended period of time.

P.S. It's not just this thread. Any technical thread is the same way because you have to balance having a discussion without giant walls of text that include every last detail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with "this" thread.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Doctor Butts posted:

Please

Please don't go away App Drawer :(
Nova prime is a dollar right now.

Buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Because the experience is by all accounts pretty enjoyable and the outlay is $99 (or $0 with S7 preorder) vs. $$$$ for other VR headsets?

One minute you are groping virtual titties, and then the snapdragon heater kicks in and blinds you