Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

badpinions on guns and cash, is this he yospos prepper thread now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's cool that you can buy a bunch of guns, fill out all the proper paperwork, then go sell them to people in a gun-free-city and even after the people you sell them to get arrested the source of their guns are never followed up on.

You can use chip+pin to buy them I bet.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
They should put the chip in the gun so we can find these fucktards and blow them to smithereens.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

It's cool that you can buy a bunch of guns, fill out all the proper paperwork, then go sell them to people in a gun-free-city and even after the people you sell them to get arrested the source of their guns are never followed up on.

hosed up if true

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powercrazy posted:

I agree, guns should be banned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
guns = legal

lsd = illegal

one kills people and one sets them free

I guess it makes sense though coz one of the original listed problem effects of lsd was "challenging authority" whereas guns keep the populace fearful so yeah

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Smythe posted:

They should put the chip in the gun so we can find these fucktards and blow them to smithereens.

imagine if the chip could be exploded remotely

on both guns and credit cards

enter your pin wrong more than 3 times and get your hand blown off :getin:

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

enter your firing pin wrong more than 3 times and get your hand blown off :getin:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

guns = legal

lsd = illegal

one kills people and one sets them free

I guess it makes sense though coz one of the original listed problem effects of lsd was "challenging authority" whereas guns keep the populace fearful so yeah

arguably both set you free

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

now that i have a chip card its p funny to notice just how many pos poses have a "chip reader inactive" sticker or just a big bundle of scotch tape over the slot

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do ATMs in the USA just make you swipe your card or do you need to insert kt?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

Valeyard posted:

there are both variants. Usually you have to insert them (like at a branch) but some ghetto lite atms that charge $3.00 or something in a bodega or taco shack are just swipe.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

there are both variants. Usually you have to insert them (like at a branch) but some ghetto lite atms that charge $3.00 or something in a bodega or taco shack are just swipe.

Cool, I've seen loads of those "independsnt" machines and they are always skeevy as gently caress

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Valeyard posted:

most skeevy atms in chicago have switched to dip as well. you can tell a few of the new ones are starting to get chip readers added because they grab your card for a moment and then tell you to rip it out.

getting the cadence of those things takes some practice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

chip ATMs are cool + good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

some early implementations of chip ATMs had lovely software that would prompt you for the "Application" you need to chose off the chip, which no one is going to know what to do with

i've been presented with "VISA DEBIT" and "US DEBIT" because there is specific poo poo they had to do with US debit cards per the durban amendment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or just use cash. cash rarely confuses peoeple

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mishaq posted:

chip ATMs are cool + good

no

echinopsis posted:

no

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

checking in from my local/favorite cash only bar in Chicago

I'm sure I've floated a couple boat payments in atm fees to WAMI

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
just got a new debit card and made my first chip and sig transaction

it was slow as baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalls

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

actually, they are.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

just got a new debit card and made my first chip and sig transaction

it was slow as baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalls

your POS is a POS

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

mishaq posted:

your POS is a POS

not my pos but i hope it is not representative of chipped cards in general

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

not my pos but i hope it is not representative of chipped cards in general

it's definitely a little slower than swiping, but the terminals vary wildly in how they function, some are really bad

stick the card in while the cashier is ringing poo poo up

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
this one was cashier operated so i didnt ahve much choice

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
why are they slower than swiping>?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

why are they slower than swiping>?

because its an actual computer chip on the card that has to be interacted with by the terminal

it has to be powered on, boot up, and some back and forth information exchange occurs before even the authorization request/response goes out to the bank

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

mishaq posted:

because its an actual computer chip on the card that has to be interacted with by the terminal

it has to be powered on, boot up, and some back and forth information exchange occurs before even the authorization request/response goes out to the bank

:eyepop:

fuckin crazy, i guess i can understand and appreciate that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean it doesn't actually take that long to talk to the chip, it "boots" nearly instantly. generally the time is it connecting to the server and validating the transaction, or it's lovely weak hardware in the reader or something like that. i have a smart card that (this thread taught me!) uses the same technology that can do a signature in under a second so there's no real hardware limit on that end that's making them take a while, yet some of them manage to take 45 loving seconds (but others do it in like 2 seconds) :iiam:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mishaq posted:

Sounds like computers ruin everything. Can't wiat until I get malware on my chip. Also what is the advantage to me?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i mean it doesn't actually take that long to talk to the chip, it "boots" nearly instantly. generally the time is it connecting to the server and validating the transaction, or it's lovely weak hardware in the reader or something like that. i have a smart card that (this thread taught me!) uses the same technology that can do a signature in under a second so there's no real hardware limit on that end that's making them take a while, yet some of them manage to take 45 loving seconds (but others do it in like 2 seconds) :iiam:

yep

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

all my chip+signature transactions outside the US are pretty drat quick because they've had chip terminals for a decade and they're all p. deecee

poland got on the using cards for everything bandwagon a bit late so almost every terminal there has contactless payment, you can apple pay at no-name tiny rear end shops in the middle of nowhere

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

all my chip+signature transactions outside the US are pretty drat quick because they've had chip terminals for a decade and they're all p. deecee

poland got on the using cards for everything bandwagon a bit late so almost every terminal there has contactless payment, you can apple pay at no-name tiny rear end shops in the middle of nowhere

I used one the other day that looked ancient as gently caress, and sure enough the whole thing took 30+ seconds. Which is crazy long. Normally will be done in 10 - 15 from card in to card out. Contactless is even better, like 3 seconds.

I noticed something weird in an ATM recently though. After putting my 4 digit pin in they usually spin wheels while authenticating. I found one that took the pin and instantly returned control to me to withdraw, view balance etc. I tried to withdraw and then it told me I had put the wrong pin in, so it must just avoid doing the auth until you actually pick a specific action or it does it asynchronously

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Valeyard posted:

I used one the other day that looked ancient as gently caress, and sure enough the whole thing took 30+ seconds. Which is crazy long. Normally will be done in 10 - 15 from card in to card out. Contactless is even better, like 3 seconds.

I noticed something weird in an ATM recently though. After putting my 4 digit pin in they usually spin wheels while authenticating. I found one that took the pin and instantly returned control to me to withdraw, view balance etc. I tried to withdraw and then it told me I had put the wrong pin in, so it must just avoid doing the auth until you actually pick a specific action or it does it asynchronously

thats probably online vs offline authentication

all us atms are online auth since we don't have chip+pin, so they behave like that, they don't check your pin until after you specify how much money you want etc

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlhWhuYCnH4

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Valeyard posted:

10 seconds seems way longer than it normally takes for me. try counting next time you do it, it's quicker than you think

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

but enough about my sex life

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

echinopsis posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Powercrazy posted:

Also what is the advantage to me?

when the retailer inevitably gets their information owned by bitcoin ransomers in the ukraine your credit card details don't get leaked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
new idea for a skimmer: insert card and it punches a hole in it and steals your chip

• Locked thread