Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mendrian posted:

-Wait the primary tension in this episode was that Scully didn't do a thorough enough job on a DNA test?

"I have Alien DNA"
"This test says you don't!"
*GASP*
"Wait... this test says you do after all!"
*GASP*

Boy... no wonder the episode sucked. It was full of contrived poo poo that was pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Emetic Hustler posted:

Re-watched the mytharc episodes of the original series and it really fell apart towards the end. Was there a list of the good MOTW episodes per season on this thread or did I imagine it?

S1
Squeeze
Ice
Beyond the Sea
Darkness Falls
Tooms

S2
The Host
Firewalker
Die Hand Die Verletzt
Fearful Symmetry
Humbug
Soft Light
Our Town

S3
DPO
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
War of the Coprophages
Syzygy
Jose Chung's From Outer Space
Pusher
Quagmire

S4
Home
Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man
Paper Hearts
Leonard Betts
Small Potatoes

S5
Post-Modern Prometheus
Kitsunegari
Bad Blood
Folie a Deux

S6
Drive
Dreamland
Dreamland II
How the Ghosts Stole Christmas
The Rain King
Tithonus
Monday
Arcadia
The Unnatural
Filed Trip

S7
Hungry
Rush
The Amazing Maleeni
X-Cops
Hollywood A.D.
Je Souhaite

S8
Roadrunners
Alone

S9
Sunshine Days

It's not a full list by any means, but it's most of what this thread agrees on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I recently watched 'Rush' from season 7 and it addressed something I think should've come up in the show more often: broken spacetime. I know like every other episode of Star Trek explored "temporal/spatial anomalies" but I always liked the X-Files MOTW episodes where the universe just screws up somehow. What are some other episodes in a similar vein? The only ones I can think of are Soft Light and Monday, and technically Dreamland.

Monday?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

That's the one where Mulder pulls a groundhog day and has to figure out how to stop a bank bombing.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

John Doe is considered MOTW, isn't it? It's a really good Doggett-focused episode.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Episode was worth it for Skinner's "hey watch it, you're talking to a scientist" burn on Agent Einstein.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's the one where Mulder pulls a groundhog day and has to figure out how to stop a bank bombing.

Not Mulder, but the bank robber's girlfriend. Mulder is just a weirdo who slowly starts to notice a few things and Pam (the person in the loop) is relived someone is thinking "oh this strange"

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

sticklefifer posted:

I recently watched 'Rush' from season 7 and it addressed something I think should've come up in the show more often: broken spacetime. I know like every other episode of Star Trek explored "temporal/spatial anomalies" but I always liked the X-Files MOTW episodes where the universe just screws up somehow. What are some other episodes in a similar vein? The only ones I can think of are Soft Light and Monday, and technically Dreamland.

Redrum fits this category although it makes no effort to explain the why of what's happening.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Just watched the last episode and booy howdy did this go down the drain in a spectacular way. :magical:

What even happened to the old series' mytharc, btw? Now the aliens were actually benevolent (and the real evil was MAN DUNDUNN) and the supersoldiers etc. didn't happen at all? What? Was the oil a hallucination too?

I mean I get retconning things, but they didn't even try here

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Dod Kalm

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Posted without comment.

https://vimeo.com/116760708

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Midjack posted:

Dod Kalm

I'm watching that one right now, and it's not very good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dos Calm's greatest sin is how boring it is. Total waste of such a great setting.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Man, "Soft Light" is good.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I'm almost done with Season Three now and I think it might be my favorite. Clyde Bruckman, Quagmire, Jose Chung, Hell Money, Corpophages and so on.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Better plotline than all of season 10.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dropbear posted:

Just watched the last episode and booy howdy did this go down the drain in a spectacular way. :magical:

Yep. I will try to erase the entire season from my brain. With alien juice!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I kept wondering why the guy wouldn't just, like, lay down when somebody was going to walk into his shadow.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

Yep. I will try to erase the entire season from my brain. With alien juiceDNA!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

esselfortium posted:

I kept wondering why the guy wouldn't just, like, lay down when somebody was going to walk into his shadow.

Hahahaha.

I like how vague it was. Like, were they zapped into a hell dimension? Were they absorbed into the shadow?

I really like how mean the ending is, too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm watching that one right now, and it's not very good.

Quality wasn't a listed criterion. :v:

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Hahahaha.

I like how vague it was. Like, were they zapped into a hell dimension? Were they absorbed into the shadow?

I really like how mean the ending is, too.

Dark matter, pure annihilation into energy upon contact. At least, that's what the companion book I had said.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

So the season 3 opener has a weird moment about the Smallpox vaccine. I laughed out loud because of the recent nonsense in the finale.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I've been rewatching the original run and I forgot that "Eve" was only a Season 1 episode. It's always been one of my personal favorites for its pacing and its writing, and I forgot just how fully realized this show was nearly right from the beginning. Great stuff.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dos Calm's greatest sin is how boring it is. Total waste of such a great setting.

Aw mannn, I loved Dod Kalm.. Scully's monologe toward the end about the Norse end of the world myth (the world will end "not in a sudden firestorm of damnation as the Bible teaches us but in a slow, covering blanket of snow") coinciding with their imminent demise was marvelously written. :(

Plus it was also an example of one of their "this premise is pretty out there but still within the realm of possibility enough that I can reasonably suspend my disbelief" moments, which to me is when the show was at it's best. As the seasons went on and the quality declined, this aspect of the show diminished along with it. When they just blatantly start showing you alien spaceships and poo poo (as in the first ep of the new run where we got literal crashed flying saucer right off the bat) it kills the mystery.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 2, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So there's a Season 6 episode with a guy that can't die and it's implied he transferred his "gift" on to Scully, for people keeping track of the "Scully is immortal" theory.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Dod Kalm is probably the most badass name for a TV episode ever.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So regarding Babylon: How far along/or at what point in the writing process did Chris Carter realize it should be set in Texas so Mulder can line dance while tripping balls?

Even though I think that episode is garbage overall, the scene is starting to grow on me. The change in tones is still staggering though.

Edit: Here's the best video link I could find if you'd like to watch it again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKWtFOr34d8

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 3, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He looks so goddamn bored. It ruins everything.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I dunno. I liked parts of that episode but not the mushroom bit. First of all it feels entirely for the benefit of the audience. Young Mulder would have found a shaman somewhere who claimed he could talk to the dead to do the whole thing for him; it came off as an abuse of power. I don't understand why Einstein went along with the whole thing and it just seems petty for Mulder. The scene went on for way too long and, of course, it worked or seems to have worked, wrapping everything up in a neat package. It was a punchline to a tone-deaf joke. Meh.

Actually tone-deaf sums up a lot of the season. For instance I don't understand why we had a very special Scully episode in the same 45 minutes I was supposed to be worried about homeless Banksy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Because we treat the homeless like trash. Like we treated our son!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ahh, I knew I forgot one. I was thinking of time fuckery on a ship but only Triangle came to mind (which sort of doesn't count because it may or may not be Mulder's dream).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's one of my favorite episodes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mendrian posted:

Yeah I dunno. I liked parts of that episode but not the mushroom bit. First of all it feels entirely for the benefit of the audience. Young Mulder would have found a shaman somewhere who claimed he could talk to the dead to do the whole thing for him; it came off as an abuse of power. I don't understand why Einstein went along with the whole thing and it just seems petty for Mulder. The scene went on for way too long and, of course, it worked or seems to have worked, wrapping everything up in a neat package. It was a punchline to a tone-deaf joke. Meh.

Actually tone-deaf sums up a lot of the season. For instance I don't understand why we had a very special Scully episode in the same 45 minutes I was supposed to be worried about homeless Banksy.

I don't understand why I'm supposed to care the slightest bit about their stupid son.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't understand why I'm supposed to care the slightest bit about their stupid son.

STEM CELLS

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I really didn't mind the William stuff this season? At least it was a little better handled than in Seasons 8/9.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Stultus Maximus posted:

I guess that they're trying to fill in for the now resolved Mulder's sister emotional hook. It's just not very well developed. Not to mention the fact that the reason Mulder s sister worked was because it explained not only his motivations but also shaped his personality as he grew up.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

"War of the Coprophages" is Amazing.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
A couple weeks removed from it now, and I'm still kinda bummed about this iteration of the X-Files. Not that this is a shocking revelation or anything. The whole final episode felt so schlocky, even by late-season arc episode standards. As has been mentioned before, there's really no coming back from that cliffhanger without some wide-ranging consequences for everyone involved (which is, at last count, EVERYONE).

The subtle beauty of the X-Files of old was that at the end of each episode, there was a certain level of... I don't wanna call it plausibility, but it's the best word I can come up with right now. A sense that somewhere, somehow, this might have actually happened, only to be quietly covered up by a shadowy consortium of people. The clues were there for others to find, but only if you looked really hard and could connect the scattered pieces somehow.

This last episode really leaves no exit strategy--it's the whole drat country (or world) in a huge panic--dying or dead, and staring down the business end of a real, live goddamn UFO. How do you possibly back-pedal this to return to Scully and Mulder chasing boogie-men, same bat-time, same bat-channel? They've kind of always resorted to the ol' "reset switch" for their bigger episodes, but the affected size of the reset was mostly the shadowy elements of the government, and Scully and Mulder, and that was basically it. This would be a reset on a global scale, which really stretches the suspension of disbelief.

And of course, I'll watch the next season because of course I will. And I'm sure I'll groan at whatever explanation they come up with to write themselves out of the corner they've gotten into, and then I'll go back to loving the episodes about the fire-starter cheerleaders, and the mind-altering cable TV experiments. And I will forget about this entire crazy-pants path the series went down that one time. Hopefully.

And...

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"War of the Coprophages" is Amazing.
Look at this correct opinion right here. :nexus::hf::nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
A surprising number of X-files were based on actual government scandals, too. Like even the weirdo stuff about mind control drugs and experimenting on pregnant women and poo poo. It was all part and parcel of the conspiracy theory background of the show.

What the should have done is built off of the new shady stuff the government does or is alleged to have done. Not like silly 9/11 stuff but actual things like using computers to model behavior and even select people for killing, torture, mind control through media, etc. Although then again, the Pilot episode of the Lone Gunmen was about a false flag attack to remote control a plane crash into the World Trade Center - in an episode which came out six months before 9/11.

• Locked thread