Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.
The only thing about the Black Prince that would make me cry is if I had to somehow play it again. That said, the Conqueror is worth every second of misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
One nice thing about playing on console, the Mutant 6 is being sold on the 4th.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

frood posted:

The only thing about the Black Prince that would make me cry is if I had to somehow play it again. That said, the Conqueror is worth every second of misery.

The Caern has effectively zero turret armor right now on the top turret since its designed like the lovely Cent AX turret. If the stock turret is like the Black Prince's HD model, it too effectively has no armor. I have no idea why they significantly nerfed the Churchill 7 (a very bad tank), the Black Prince (a bad tank apparently enchanted by a winrate faerie) and the Caern (an adequate tank that only me and Primelaw liked) unless they think that makes up for them buffing the gently caress out of the Conq.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The caern is/was my favorite tank, haven't played it since they changed it yet. Big, slowish, no side armor but amazing, had some BP fairy dust sprinkled on it.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I wouldn't say I liked the caern but it felt relatively painless grinding through it. Right now the only "kill myself" tanks I'm grinding through are the t30 (without 120mm), su-85, the t-34-2 and the tier 8 french arty.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the Caern was never good and the turret never had armor

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Prav posted:

the Caern was never good and the turret never had armor

Please don't disrespect her majesty with your lies.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you know what else sucks balls? the Centurions.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The Caern, like most UK heavies, is bad until the right map shows up. Are you hull down with a good field of fire and no Spgs with someone spotting? Today is your day. Anything else will be a miserable time since you have a slow, poorly armored tank with a bad gun for a heavy. Just like the BP was only good part if you have a close map with a lot of people confused about weak spots.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

you know what else sucks balls? the Centurions.

they are so loving bad

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Hellsau posted:

The Caern has effectively zero turret armor right now on the top turret since its designed like the lovely Cent AX turret. If the stock turret is like the Black Prince's HD model, it too effectively has no armor. I have no idea why they significantly nerfed the Churchill 7 (a very bad tank), the Black Prince (a bad tank apparently enchanted by a winrate faerie) and the Caern (an adequate tank that only me and Primelaw liked) unless they think that makes up for them buffing the gently caress out of the Conq.

I liked the Caern. I managed a 65% mostly-solo win rate in that thing and had way too much fun using that fast firing gun to punish peek-a-boo morons who needed a lesson in being tracked.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The caern is really fun when you catch another heavy like an IS3 by the track and just whittle away until they're dead. Other than that...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

The batchat on-track reward is a type 3 chi-nu kai.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

The batchat on-track reward is a type 3 chi-nu kai.

The Chi-Nu-Kai is a better Chi-Nu. The Chi-Nu is loving garbage so that's not great. The Chi-Nu-Kai isn't even a good crew trainer because there aren't any keepable Japanese mediums - I might have liked the STA-2 more than the Pershing, but with the Pershing getting actual AP pen there's no reason to keep an STA-2 around, and the rest vary between 'technically competent when everything goes right' and 'worthless'.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The Chi-Nu-Kai is a better Chi-Nu. The Chi-Nu is loving garbage so that's not great. The Chi-Nu-Kai isn't even a good crew trainer because there aren't any keepable Japanese mediums - I might have liked the STA-2 more than the Pershing, but with the Pershing getting actual AP pen there's no reason to keep an STA-2 around, and the rest vary between 'technically competent when everything goes right' and 'worthless'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpic_EWq57c

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Getting the Bat-Chat 25t is its own reward and no :gifttank: is actually required.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm just seeing someone get repeatedly, deservedly punished for not being aggressive. Push the gently caress in! They have high tier artillery, you're the only possible target, don't just sit there jerking yourself off.

Push into that loving TD! What's it going to do, minorly damage you at the end of a match that you're going to win? Those two artillery will do a fuckton more than that one TD will.

You just killed their second to last tank? Press W or at least get behind the house right next to you, don't just waffle between the two options and get dunked!

There's a loving 212A looking down the lane at you - push the loving 34-3 so you're not getting shot by both of them! If the 212A was shooting HE and just splashed, the 34-3 could peek and finish you - push the 34-3, accept the one hit and kill it, then you and your platoonmate get to 2v1 the 212A and avoid further damage!

Full HP against a 2/3 HP Obj 140? Go brawl that poo poo - even if the artillery did not dunk you, and just splashed, or hell if it just missed, backing off in that situation just puts you at a massive disadvantage because you allowed their 140 to get defensive terrain on you.

okay this one on Himmels is horseshit since you have teammates that should be spotting the 1 line (the PTA) and those two dudes hiding from one RBWT. RIP.

It's Redshire, you're camping the center hill poorly, fighting an E100 and Type 61 who can spot you and the E100 is platooned with an artillery. Don't try to win a 3v1, just back away and let them overextend themselves.

Pretty much any tier 9 or 8 is going to get oneshot by the 183 there, your team is super trash and that Leo 1 is making zero attempts to spot or be useful.

lol 183 cupola snipes. I hate playing that area in a medium, I much prefer to go further north because of that lovely TD camping zone. Even if it was just an ISU you're still eating a shot, and then they wouldn't even have needed the clutch hit above the wall.

Why would you ever try to hulldown fight there on Abbey when there's an enemy artillery? Smart arti players are going to be there to get dunking shots down that way, down the enemy side river road, and onto 2 line. Wait why are you trying to hulldown fight in a Type 61?!

Yeah most of those were the Type 61 player's fault.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Whats your take on the STB-1? It's probably my favorite solopubbing TierX

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
You (should) learn pretty quick to never try and hulldown in a type 61, under literally any circumstances.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NA people: new tournament system is up - tonight there are 1v1 tier 1 Stand-To tournaments going on with not totally insulting gold payouts. Tomorrow are 2v2 tier 3 tournaments. Next week's Skirmish is a 3v3 (with 3 reserve players) tier 6 on Murovanka. If you need gold, might as well do some silly 1v1s tonight. Registration for the 8pm eastern tourney ends in 1 hour, 10pm eastern registration ends in 3 hours.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/tournaments/

Animal posted:

Whats your take on the STB-1? It's probably my favorite solopubbing TierX

The gun throws shots everywhere (even with #snapshotmeta) and if I were to solopub a tier ten I'd prefer something with a bunch of armor or the ability to just mercilessly punish someone who makes a mistake using a high alpha gun or an autoloader. I haven't taken the crew off of mine but it's merely okay. The whole rest of the line has zero keepers, which is incredibly unusual.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I like it because it's fast, maneuverable, great for hull down and has fantastic DPM. It does throw off shots.

And it looks cool.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Hellsau posted:

I'm just seeing someone get repeatedly, deservedly punished for not being aggressive. Push the gently caress in! They have high tier artillery, you're the only possible target, don't just sit there jerking yourself off.

Push into that loving TD! What's it going to do, minorly damage you at the end of a match that you're going to win? Those two artillery will do a fuckton more than that one TD will.

You just killed their second to last tank? Press W or at least get behind the house right next to you, don't just waffle between the two options and get dunked!

There's a loving 212A looking down the lane at you - push the loving 34-3 so you're not getting shot by both of them! If the 212A was shooting HE and just splashed, the 34-3 could peek and finish you - push the 34-3, accept the one hit and kill it, then you and your platoonmate get to 2v1 the 212A and avoid further damage!

Full HP against a 2/3 HP Obj 140? Go brawl that poo poo - even if the artillery did not dunk you, and just splashed, or hell if it just missed, backing off in that situation just puts you at a massive disadvantage because you allowed their 140 to get defensive terrain on you.

okay this one on Himmels is horseshit since you have teammates that should be spotting the 1 line (the PTA) and those two dudes hiding from one RBWT. RIP.

It's Redshire, you're camping the center hill poorly, fighting an E100 and Type 61 who can spot you and the E100 is platooned with an artillery. Don't try to win a 3v1, just back away and let them overextend themselves.

Pretty much any tier 9 or 8 is going to get oneshot by the 183 there, your team is super trash and that Leo 1 is making zero attempts to spot or be useful.

lol 183 cupola snipes. I hate playing that area in a medium, I much prefer to go further north because of that lovely TD camping zone. Even if it was just an ISU you're still eating a shot, and then they wouldn't even have needed the clutch hit above the wall.

Why would you ever try to hulldown fight there on Abbey when there's an enemy artillery? Smart arti players are going to be there to get dunking shots down that way, down the enemy side river road, and onto 2 line. Wait why are you trying to hulldown fight in a Type 61?!

Yeah most of those were the Type 61 player's fault.

hellsau is a very effective counter to self-pity

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Animal posted:

And it looks cool.

stephenfry posted:

hellsau is a very effective counter to self-pity

These are both true.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Tonight there are 1v1 tier 1 Stand-To tournaments going on.

Map is Mittengard, so a Leichtraktor with binocs, camo net, and the 3.7 cm? Or has the meta shifted to autocannons? The Renault Otsu should do alright against autocannons if they aren't shooting gold.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Map is Mittengard, so a Leichtraktor with binocs, camo net, and the 3.7 cm? Or has the meta shifted to autocannons? The Renault Otsu should do alright against autocannons if they aren't shooting gold.

99% of the time they'll be shooting gold if they're trying at all, and if they aren't you'll beat them no matter what you do. Mittengard is a brawling map - you're probably going to need a T1 Cunningham with the 20mm, and just clip people out.

comedy option - Medium 1 with the machine gun. Just hold left click on enemy tank and hope they don't hit 100% of their 20mm shots.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Babby 183 option: Medium 1 with the 57 mm firing HE. If the dice come up your way it can one-shot anything but the Leichttrakor and other Medium 1s.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

Babby 183 option: Medium 1 with the 57 mm firing HE. If the dice come up your way it can one-shot anything but the Leichttrakor and other Medium 1s.

95 alpha is asking quite a lot of RNG - hit with .52 accuracy, pen with HE (29 pen is fine but HE is really trash) and then roll high. Also, as the shell is in the air, you might die to a T1 Cunningham clip. I mean I love draws more than most people (just ask Exia) but that's poor strategy in a tournament.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

STB-1 owns but its gun handling will make you want to smash your teeth into your balls.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Playing a light tank and trying to spot for your team is the loving worst without sixth sense. I'm on the amx 13 75, leopard and t37 none of which have it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

99% of the time they'll be shooting gold if they're trying at all, and if they aren't you'll beat them no matter what you do. Mittengard is a brawling map - you're probably going to need a T1 Cunningham with the 20mm, and just clip people out.

comedy option - Medium 1 with the machine gun. Just hold left click on enemy tank and hope they don't hit 100% of their 20mm shots.

Between the T1 Cunningham and Leichttraktor, I'd go with the Leichttraktor with the Breda. The T1 has a higher damage per clip, but the Leichttraktor has better view range, more HP, and a faster reload. If the T1 doesn't get you in one clip, you win.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ramsus posted:

Playing a light tank and trying to spot for your team is the loving worst without sixth sense. I'm on the amx 13 75, leopard and t37 none of which have it.

Spoiler alert, do not try to spot for your team. You're lowering your chances to win if you spot enemy tanks. Most pubbies will not under any circumstances attempt to move out and shoot a spotted enemy. That enemy is spotted after all - if the pubbie pulls out to shoot the enemy, obviously the enemy will spot back! It isn't like that stupid camping light tank sitting in a bush 300 meters away from that enemy tanks is actually spotting anything, they're not scouting at all!

See also my winrate in the T71, which was how I learned this fact.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Hellsau posted:

Spoiler alert, do not try to spot for your team. You're lowering your chances to win if you spot enemy tanks. Most pubbies will not under any circumstances attempt to move out and shoot a spotted enemy. That enemy is spotted after all - if the pubbie pulls out to shoot the enemy, obviously the enemy will spot back! It isn't like that stupid camping light tank sitting in a bush 300 meters away from that enemy tanks is actually spotting anything, they're not scouting at all!

See also my winrate in the T71, which was how I learned this fact.

Yeah, problem is I'm trying to do the 4k damage mission and I can't do 4k damage in those lights without getting spotting damage from my team. I tried through tracking but the guns on the lights I have currently are so lovely weak that it's difficult.

I might have to wait until I get a tier 8.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ramsus posted:

Yeah, problem is I'm trying to do the 4k damage mission and I can't do 4k damage in those lights without getting spotting damage from my team. I tried through tracking but the guns on the lights I have currently are so lovely weak that it's difficult.

I might have to wait until I get a tier 8.

Out of the 13-75, Leopard, and T37, the only one with even a slight chance of getting that mission done is the T37 with the high pen 76mm, because you're going to have to do at least 2k damage yourself.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Oops, forgot I have a LTTB as well. That's probably my best bet for now.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

95 alpha is asking quite a lot of RNG - hit with .52 accuracy, pen with HE (29 pen is fine but HE is really trash) and then roll high. Also, as the shell is in the air, you might die to a T1 Cunningham clip. I mean I love draws more than most people (just ask Exia) but that's poor strategy in a tournament.

counterpoint: it'll be really funny when it works out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

counterpoint: it'll be really funny when it works out.

Worth it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

What should I know about the AMX 12t? I'll be done with the ELC pretty soon.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Debating trying internet tanks again. It's been maybe 2 or 3 years or so since I've played with you guys (DeviantCelt). I tried getting in the goon channel last night but the one listed in the private server page didn't exist.

Anyway, I'm loving lost again. I just installed it and can barely remember anything. I wanted to start at the bottom again to get the hang of it so I don't gently caress up my (terrible) record with my high tier poo poo. If you guys remember I was mostly the arty guy in SGLE. I can't remember anything about mods or who or what to upgrade first. All I know is that I still have over 4,000 loving gold and should probably play the game to at least use up that depressing (one of many) purchase.

I see there is a Czech line so I'll probably start with that to get back into the swing of things and learn from you guys what I should do again. I'll check out the OP (if it's updated, haven't checked) to check for essential info.

Just saying that might life must be going miserably downhill to get back into this game, so hello again guys! :buddy:

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
^just get the omc modpack and accept the defaults if you can't make sense of the options. it's easy to switch mods in and out as needed. these days XVM requires you register and activate on their website, but it's worth it. if you have a church 3 it's as dependable as ever, so long as you can find the sides of an o-i

the czech line starts at tier 6, do not play the tanks prior to that

Tsurupettan posted:

What should I know about the AMX 12t? I'll be done with the ELC pretty soon.
completely outclassed by the US equivalent. can't accelerate. the official wiki covers it pretty well. If you don't have sixth sense and a T25-haver to platoon with, just fit it for passive scouting near hard cover and don't take risks until endgame. You will learn to love prokhorovka and malinovka. welcome to prenerfed tanks.

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

9.14 is rumored to be arriving on the 8th, so you'll probably have to reinstall all your mods in a week.