Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

trash is literally a word that exists bown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

blue squares posted:

That got greenlit years ago. I think it eventually died out of sight, which seems fitting

Nope, they just recommitted on it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

More like the flash-in-the-pan because it was only good for one season.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Flash more like Smash because it was a musical romp for the entire family but could not sustain itself.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Flash more like Flush cause it's got a bunch of cards all in the same suit

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Flash more like Rash because it was a good time for a while but now I have to go get checked out at the clinic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

the flash? more like the gash (gash is british slang for bad, kind of)

...That's not what it's slang for

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

I'm pretty sure it means the same thing over here as it does there too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

muscles like this? posted:

Nope, they just recommitted on it.

I wish someone would adapt Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. Not the final two books though. Not without some major, major rewrites*.

* Except the :black101: FTL ships that kill the passengers and resurrect them once they get to their destination can stay. That was kinda rad.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Still don't feel bad about never watching CW.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I've been watching season 2 of iZombie, it's still pretty great, but that second episode where they go into the Frat house has really awful writing. It's like the writers haven't visited a frat house or college since the late 90's.

At the beginning, Liv calls the detective guy and says "Wasssup" like in the superbowl commercial. The one that first aired before I was six years old (1999). People don't do that anymore. It was funny in the early 2000's, I'd hear it a few times in fifth grade, but people genuinely don't do that anymore, not even ironically.

I mean, I get that it's hard to stay up-to-date with modern slang, I'm just thankful nobody said on fleek, but I mean, it just felt like a bunch of 35 year old dudes pretending to be in a frat. They had a frat part that legit felt like fart party. I don't know how they hosed it up, they had beer pong, they had alcohol (the music was wrong, but whatever). Liv just felt like a parody of a 90's frat dude though the entire time. Ending to the that episode was fantastic though.

They really didn't know how to write frats, they're really out of touch, yo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rarity posted:

Tends to be used both ways, which really doesn't make sense but that's slang for ya.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bad show names:

iZombie
Don't Trust the B*** in Apt 23

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

better off ted, apparently

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mu Zeta posted:

Bad show names:

iZombie

Terriers

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Ian McShane has been cast at Mr. Wednesday in American Gods.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ian-mcshane-star-american-gods-872269

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

muscles like this? posted:

AMC has greenlit an adaptation of The Terror, which is a horror novel about the doomed Franklin expedition to find the Northwest Passage. In real life they ended up dying of starvation after resorting to cannibalism but the book adds in the twist of a giant deadly creature stalking the crew.

I don't know, that actually makes things less horrific. Like I think just getting completely up nature's rear end with no way out and eating each other, then dying slowly and painfully to like 9 different conditions, is pretty bad. I would imagine at that point a monster showing up would be a giant relief.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The Flash literally confuses me because they do jack poo poo with the women on that show but then all of a sudden they go to Earth 2 and their counterparts are actually interesting so they immediately forget about them and bring us back to not-sure-how-I'm-contributing-to-the-plot and I-only-exist-to-propel-male-character-development-at-the-expense-of-my-own.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Flash is a fun show you all just have aspergers and are unable to enjoy fun things

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rarity posted:

Terriers

Crazy Ex-Gilrfriend

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh poo poo, that's a good loving cast right there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Huh, I enjoy Flash. I didn't realize the opinion had turned so, so angrily on it.

Flash HAS been pretty moody this season though. And the show doesn't do poo poo with its female characters, that's true.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Bad show names:

iZombie

Happy Endings
Selfie
Fresh Off the Boat (though I guess that was the book title)
Cougar Town

ABC has a problem.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Fateo McMurray posted:

Flash is a fun show you all just have aspergers and are unable to enjoy fun things

It has fun scenes, but it also has characters do retarded things constantly.

Barry and mask guy were stuck in a transparent non-soundproof glass prison, and their first choice for communicating was using an old POW communication technique? Not even signing letters? All to say a three letter word (jay) that served literally no purpose, didn't get them out of the prison. Dude was just asking how Jay was. And they spent 5 minutes of the show on this.

Meanwhile Barry is stuck behind the glass wall, Zoom phases through to beat the poo poo out of Barry (best part of the episode) after which Barry retorts "Ha, he just gave me a plan to get out of here. :smuggo:"

Fast forward to the next scene where Barry is still in the glass prison because the glass is at a different frequency than he expected and the answer to escape is MORE POWER SPEED (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg). And Barry is depressed because he can't go faster until his Earth 2 counterpart comes in and just says "Believe in yourself, Barry". And suddenly he becomes fast enough to phase through the glass prison. Because of the power of self-confidence.

The Flash is literally a show that would make more sense if it were set in the same universe as Tim the Toolman Taylor, and in fact Tim was secretly the Flash.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Fun things like watching Barry agonize over multiple character deaths and generally be an rear end in a top hat.

Not what I pictured Wednesday as in my head but yeah, he'll be awesome.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 3, 2016

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

This coupled with Lincoln from the 100 (which is a good show, Thursdays on the CW) as Shadow has my given me a massive nerd boner. I could not have possibly picked anyone better for Mr Wednesday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

None of that is unique to season 2 though. Like Flash or not like Flash, I just wish people would quit inventing some massive change in quality for shows that didn't happen. This goes for ALL shows, not just Flash.

These people just need to admit they got bored with the show and move on. Instead it gets turned into some huge diatribe against the direction the show is taking and how it had a gigantic decline in quality. No, it's the same show it anyways was, it just lost the new show smell.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

I wish someone would adapt Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. Not the final two books though. Not without some major, major rewrites*.

* Except the :black101: FTL ships that kill the passengers and resurrect them once they get to their destination can stay. That was kinda rad.

SyFy is adapting hyperion.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaggitz posted:

Crazy Ex-Gilrfriend

thats a sexist term

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

None of that is unique to season 2 though. Like Flash or not like Flash, I just wish people would quit inventing some massive change in quality for shows that didn't happen. This goes for ALL shows, not just Flash.

These people just need to admit they got bored with the show and move on. Instead it gets turned into some huge diatribe against the direction the show is taking and how it had a gigantic decline in quality. No, it's the same show it anyways was, it just lost the new show smell.

Yeah, I don't see a massive change from Season 1. Barry was moody and dealing with poo poo in Season 1 too. His mother's death, his father being in prison, his crush on Iris, the betrayal of his mentor, etc. Barry's a damaged dude. It was tempered in S1 by the wonder and excitement of him discovering his powers and becoming a hero, but in S2 he's basically just got a heroic hangover and is kind of struggling to deal with all the lovely stuff that's added up.

I guess I can see how that would be less appealing but it does seem a little extreme. It still feels like the same basic show to me. As you said, I think some people just get tired of these shows after awhile. Which is fine. Its why I rarely make it beyond a few seasons with a sitcom or a USA show. They're fun but eventually I end up feeling like I've seen it enough and its not giving me anything new.

Either way Barry made a vow in the most recently episode to stop being so whiny and get his poo poo together so I'm guessing the big heroic rise is coming after the break.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Happy Endings
Selfie
Fresh Off the Boat (though I guess that was the book title)
Cougar Town

ABC has a problem.

What's' wrong with Fresh Off the Boat as a title?

cool kids inc. posted:

This coupled with Lincoln from the 100 (which is a good show, Thursdays on the CW) as Shadow has my given me a massive nerd boner. I could not have possibly picked anyone better for Mr Wednesday.

Yeah I guess now I have to watch this show.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

thats a sexist term

It's a little more nuanced than that!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I basically turned on the Flash when the committed to season 2 being a complete retread of season 1. Since Iris found out Barry was the Flash, they had to add a new girl character who didn't know so they could keep doing all that dumb drama, and they had to bring Wells back and have him still doing poo poo behind Barry's back and they have to have another speedster villain with mysterious origins. :barf:

There's lots of things I liked about it, but when they are just paying lip-service to character development without having it ever actually impact the story and just doing bullshit plot driven poo poo for everything, the credit they built up with the good aspects runs out fast.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

One thing that has changed is that Zoom is a completely poo poo villain.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yes, it has always been badly written.

It just became obvious to everyone when they decided to make season 2 the same thing as season 1.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Actually The Flash showed it was crappily written because iZombie started airing beside it and was doing actual good television with good writing, just not flashy (no pun intended) cape stuff.

Like on iZombie the generic love interest opposite the lead also kinda mopes over his fiancee leaving him but actually gets up to his own poo poo and drives his own plot. Meanwhile on The Flash Iris plans to investigate and find out who the Flash is except the writers literally abort her attempts at every turn (remember that picture she took of him when he zipped away from one of their meetings? that went nowhere). Oh and let's not forget how in S2 she basically is the gatekeeper for Wally West which is - let's be honest - the only reason she still has an active role in the plot, and anything affecting her is ancillary to that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why is Rush Hour a TV show now?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is there a website I can search that tells me what's available on different Netflix regions?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

google.com

edit: here I even did it for you. searched "what's available on different Netflix regions" and this was the first link http://netflixable.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

One thing that has changed is that Zoom is a completely poo poo villain.

Tony Todd is really good though :smith:

• Locked thread