Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Whose dream is it to sell things for yelp by phone. What does yelp even sell? Ads? Some millennial please explain this to me.

It has long been surmised Yelp sells reputation protection for people whose pages have been dinged by bad reviews. I don't know if anyone has ever caught them, but it's not really more dishonest than credit bureaus asking you to pay them to protect the credit report they hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

I'm pretty far from a goldbug, but civilization doesn't necessarily mean national government (certainly not necessarily on the scale of the US). If there were towns and city-states that were functional but no national economy, gold would theoretically be more valuable than paper currency because there will be a few people who will like to have gold poo poo, whereas you can't really do anything practical with paper money without burning it.

That being said, gold would still not be worth very much. Just more than paper currency.

Exactly. Civilization just means people peacefully co-existing with one another. If they eat people, then at least they're from other villages.

And yeah, gold would be worth a lot less in that kind of world. A barn full of wheat might be more valuable than a bar of gold, but the barn might catch fire or insects could eat all the wheat. Gold doesn't have that problem, which is why it's a good store of value in a world where there are no banks or fiat currency. It's a terrible store of value in a world where you do have those things.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When Pablo Escobar was on the run, he was at one point literally burning bundles of cash for heat

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

It has long been surmised Yelp sells reputation protection for people whose pages have been dinged by bad reviews. I don't know if anyone has ever caught them, but it's not really more dishonest than credit bureaus asking you to pay them to protect the credit report they hosed up.

They absolutely do sell this, and they are incredibly pushy and obnoxious about it. So of course they use telemarketers to speak directly to businesses so it won't be all over the net.

They also sell ads.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Lawsuit against Yelp

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This, right here. If you use Yelp, please don't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yelp is unusably awful where I live, reviews in the 3/4 range have no correlation with how much I'll like a place. Now combine that with the fact that it gives one hundreds of results for any search, sorted randomly. That puts it at "not even once" tier, business practices notwithstanding.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Just about every place I love around me is 4.5/5 on Yelp. Idk if this means I have good taste or bad taste.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Urbanspoon was the most reliable site for restaurant ratings - Zomato and Yelp are unusable

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had a great meal and fantastic time at this dive bar by my house, but when I mentioned I was a Yelper they did not give me a discount. 1/5 Stars. Yelpers don''t bother going here.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's good enough for seeing customer's photos of food and to bookmark places you want to try later.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BraveUlysses posted:

It's good enough for seeing customer's photos of food and to bookmark places you want to try later.

Also a good place to find menu photos for places without websites

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I had a great meal and fantastic time at this dive bar by my house, but when I mentioned I was a Yelper they did not give me a discount. 1/5 Stars. Yelpers don''t bother going here.

Is this a thing that actually happens, or was it just the dumb episode of South Park that did that?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pretty sure it's real, but very uncommon. Some restaurants end up having special events for 'elite yelpers' :laffo:

It's practically impossible to find a review of a downtown restaurant in Seattle that this fuckin retard has captioned his photos with "xx chau time xx"

https://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=hesGaU1cfQinyauBQpuZrg

4000+ photos and 66 reviews? probably qualifies for bad with money

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure it's real, but very uncommon. Some restaurants end up having special events for 'elite yelpers' :laffo:

It's practically impossible to find a review of a downtown restaurant in Seattle that this fuckin retard has captioned his photos with "xx chau time xx"

https://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=hesGaU1cfQinyauBQpuZrg

4000+ photos and 66 reviews? probably qualifies for bad with money

Bad with lyfe yo...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

But he is a foodie... A foodie...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

spwrozek posted:

But he is a foodie... A foodie...

fauxdie. see what I did there?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

It's me, I'm the bad with money. Earlier last year I bought some stocks on a taxable account and realized I bought the wrong ones, so I sold them back and bought the right ones. I triggered a capital gain and now I owe the government that money for the tax return. An expensive lesson learned. :cripes:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Olive Branch posted:

It's me, I'm the bad with money. Earlier last year I bought some stocks on a taxable account and realized I bought the wrong ones, so I sold them back and bought the right ones. I triggered a capital gain and now I owe the government that money for the tax return. An expensive lesson learned. :cripes:

Did you also refuse a raise because it would put you into a new tax bracket

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

r0ck0 posted:

fauxdie. see what I did there?

get away from me with that syringe, naomi

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Olive Branch posted:

So you're upset that you made money? Did you quit your job when you found out income is taxed?

e: beaten, should refresh tabs before posting.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Horses really are a special kind of madness.

[AB] Horse training client is refusing to move her horses out of my facility, they were supposed to be gone by the first - what are my options?

quote:

I have had this client for 3 months. The contract is month to month. Every single month I have had to chase her down for payment, often having to chase her for partial payments, and after she took two weeks last month I finally told her that this was the last month that I would be working with her animals, and they need to be gone by the first of March. She said she understood and they would be gone.

She has 5 horses on this property, which I do not own - I board out of there.

She informed me (over text) that she would not be able to move her horses until this coming weekend (tomorrow) and I said that I would have to charge her for board and feed for every day they were here. She said okay. She said they would be gone this weekend.

Yesterday she messaged me that her arrangements weren't working out and it would be a couple of weeks until she could move them. I told her that was unacceptable and that I needed the field space, she needed to get them GONE. She said she was "sorting things out."

eta this paragraph: she is also irritated that I am "only giving her two days' notice," even though I gave her four weeks... which has turned into five. Serious lack of planning on her part.

I need these animals gone. They are hurting my business. After 15 days if she hasn't paid anything on them, if I understand properly, I take over ownership and can sell them - but I don't have the money to care for 5 horses for 15 days (it costs $30 a day to feed them, and another $30 a day to board them - that's $900 plus the time it takes to sell them...) and I cannot deal with the fallout and crazy that would follow.

I need these horses off my property in the next 2 days as promised, as I'd arranged for another client to come in and they're being detrimental to the care of other animals and causing a lot of stress.

What are my options here?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Getting taxed on short term capital gains instead of LTCG, for the reasons given, is a little annoying. That is, if he had bought the right stocks he might be in the same position returns wise at this point but without the tax hit because he'd hold them for longer.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mantle posted:

Did you also refuse a raise because it would put you into a new tax bracket

Funny story, this is a real problem in Japan with non-marginal spousal tax deductions and benefits, leading to the current situation of millions of women trying to stay under roughly 9000 USD a year in income. Going over is pretty disastrous, and you'd need to make around 14000 USD just to break even. Considering a full time entry level job is like 15k-20k USD and you can see why many women prefer to work a part time job, stay under the magical number, and save a ton of money on daycare etc.

Japanese government is BWM.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

Getting taxed on short term capital gains instead of LTCG, for the reasons given, is a little annoying. That is, if he had bought the right stocks he might be in the same position returns wise at this point but without the tax hit because he'd hold them for longer.

This plus he's gotta come up with cash right now for tax on gains that he reinvested. The bad with money part (that I'm sure Olive Branch knows now) was that he didn't set aside a portion of the gain in cash to hold onto.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/48yfjb/ab_horse_training_client_is_refusing_to_move_her/][AB]

Do never horse.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

slap me silly posted:

Do never horse.

I was just reviewing an appraisal of a property that has some light equestrian use going on and this stood out to me:

7 out of 10 horse owners earn less than $100K a year? Oof.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Can the guy not just release the horses out into the wild? This is a terrible idea but it would get the owners attention. "Hey your horses are in Suburb Z, go get them".

The guy on Reddit also talks about euthanising the horses, which costs $350 per horse + disposal. Can he just shotgun the heads off?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Holy poo poo. That's about my salary and I would never never horse.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

slap me silly posted:

It's probably swayed by rural people. If you're not paying for boarding, and you have pasture to let a horse graze and a kid to take care of it, a horse sounds a lot more reasonable.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

I was just reviewing an appraisal of a property that has some light equestrian use going on and this stood out to me:

There are 4.6 million horses, 2 million people own horses, and somehow the average horse owner owns 5 horses. Hmmm.

Also good to know all 50 states have horses.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

That's not much different than household income for average Americans, actually. Also FYI there are horses in all 50 states.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Saeku posted:

you have pasture to let a horse graze and a kid to take care of it

Horses AND goats?? How is this helping?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My mom does accounting for a woman who owns a horse ranch and is a level 5 Parelli trainer, whatever the gently caress that is. She is terrible at finances and is slowly losing control, especially to expenses incurred by her four twentysomething children. She has a beautiful Hill Country property well within commuting distance from Austin, but has built so much horse poo poo (training areas, plus a giant 6000sqft covered steel arena) on the property that she can't sell it to get out of the biz. She owns a goddamn valley on 9 acres with an amazing mansion and a river but nobody will pay more than $550,000 because it has become so specialized in the last five years.

I did some manual labor there last year and made the mistake of negotiating before showing up. I busted my rear end and she lowballed me, paying me minimum wage for the most back-breaking poo poo I've ever done. She's not bad with money, it's me.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 7, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ohgodwhat posted:

There are 4.6 million horses, 2 million people own horses, and somehow the average horse owner owns 5 horses. Hmmm.

You expect the United States Equestrian Federation to be good at math?

e: lol

slap me silly posted:

Horses AND goats?? How is this helping?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ohgodwhat posted:

Joint ownership?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

slap me silly posted:

I think the key there is that 70% live in communities of <50,000 people, so basically they're not talking exclusively about race horses.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pig slut lisa posted:

1.4 million full time jobs. drat near 1% of the U.S. workforce has a full time horse job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shoot the horses.

Alternately, either open a LOC at the bank, or just go under already if you can't afford that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My new employer automatically put me into their 401k, how much can I sue them for?

Automatic enrollment into 401k plans (with an automatic deduction selected) is the recommended way to get Americans to save for retirement. The DOL suggests them and says they can cut the number of employes not saving for retirement by half: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/automaticenrollment401kplans.html

Of course this BWM wants to sue his (brand new) employer because it takes longer than 24 hours to reverse the contribution that was made YESTERDAY.

• Locked thread