Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

13Pandora13 posted:

Breaking Bad took like two seasons to be engaging instead of just curious. It was good, but kind of dull.

I watched the first season and enjoyed it because it was set in my home town. Then a few years later, a bunch of people were talking about it on Twitter. I had honestly thought it was cancelled after the first season.

Love is on Netflix. I really like Gillian Jacobs and Paul Rust from other stuff so I want to like the series but I haven't gotten to sit down and watch it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

jodai posted:

Love is on Netflix. I really like Gillian Jacobs and Paul Rust from other stuff so I want to like the series but I haven't gotten to sit down and watch it yet.

I'm really digging it. I like those actors, plus there are a ton of other great comedians in there. Kyle Kinane, Milana Vayntrub, Claudia O'Doherty, Brett Gelman, etc, etc. With the cast, I have pretty high expectations, but I'm really enjoying it.

Also Breaking Bad was a super slow burn - save the pilot and some moments with Tuco - the first 2 seasons. Not that that's a terrible thing. Netflix's Bloodline is nothing but a slow burn, but I liked it fine. It's a good, get-ready-for-bed show.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

jodai posted:

I'm like SUPER madly in love with Gillian Jacobs, and this show has managed to supersede my disgusting celebrity crush and be genuinely entertaining.

Watch it if you like awkward comedy - super-watch it if you like awkward comedy and like Gillian Jacobs in a shameful way.

Plus also I like Charlyne Yi and she's in this too. I am sad and lonely.

dumb. has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Feb 20, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Turtlicious posted:

Uhm, yeah no Breaking Bad was boring af until Season 3.

It honestly mostly floated by on the premise alone rather then engaging writing.

This reminds me, I haven't been on IMDB for awhile.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

We get it, you're much smarter than us and have clearly superior taste in television and film.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

13Pandora13 posted:

We get it, you're much smarter than us and have clearly superior taste in television and film.

I thought we were just playing, sorry if things got too rough.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

coyo7e posted:

After Netflix recommending it to me for well over a year, I got bored and checked out Longmire since I'd run out of british crime drams and korean horror action flicks and all the other poo poo I'm usually into... And it's really good.

Maybe it's because the first season of the show is super understated and nothing really hits stride until the second season (then whoa!), or maybe because I eventually have to watch Lou Diamond Phillips in everything he's in eventually (for some reason I really, really love Renegades) because he was a huge part of my 80s/90s action movie options as a kid. I'm not sure why LDP chose to speak like some wampum-trading chieftain from a bad western flick, but his character is solid, and the show is solid, and if you get to S2Ep6, you'll either be in love or never go back.

But yeah, I'd rather watch Longmire than The Shield - if for no other reason than there's (probably) no Kid Rock theme song in the opening credits of every single loving episode... Also most of the cops are likable people with believable conflicts and hangups, instead of just pistol-whipping bangers in the face while taking all their money and drugs.

A good show. I think The Red Road is trying to ape it with an edgier showing and less-likable police. But yeah, Longmire's pretty boss.. Reminds me of my grandpa, and my dad, who were too stupid and close-mouthed to let people know when poo poo was going down so they might totally end up dying on a mountainside from hypothermia, or letting peoepl think they murdered someone because they'd never figured out how to take off their ten-gallon hat and deal with their feelings..

I mean one scene in season 2 involves Longmire dying from hypothermia on a mountainside while a serial killer kicks the hell out of him.. He gets up off the ground, puts his hat back on, and only then gets back into the fight. :clint:

Just wanted to say Longmire is really good. My dad was the first to recommend it so I just ignored it like a lot of stuff he suggests but finally got into it. He also turned me onto Justified which I couldn't get past the guy from European Vacation being the sniper in to loving the show.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Any recommendations for good comedy albums through Amazon Prime?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

Any recommendations for good comedy albums through Amazon Prime?

Like, comedy music or spoken word? What are some comedians you like?

Mitch All Together and Strategic Grill Location are on Prime, but most people are already familiar with Mitch Hedberg. If you're not definitely check those out.

(edit)

I'm not sure what's on there but George Carlin is another one to add. Daniel Tosh's standup is pretty funny too, and if you like him Anthony Jeselnik is the same kind of "funny and also horrible" style.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Feb 21, 2016

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I was thinking stand-up. I've already added what they have of Hannibal Buress, Mitch Hedberg, Jim Gaffigan and a few others. I'll try pretty much anything so I guess what I'm really looking for is some names I may not have heard before.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't know if they're on Amazon Prime or not, but I'm a huge fan of the stand-up of Louis C.K., John Mulaney, Moshe Kasher, Aziz Ansari, Donald Glover, Kyle Kinane, Tig Notaro, Jessi Klein, Nikki Glaser, Amy Schumer, Zach Galifianakis, plus the aforementioned Jim Gaffigan and Hannibal Burress. Most of them are big names, but one or two of them might be pleasant new surprises for you. What about Stephen Wright?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In addition to those, I like Myq Kaplain.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Both of Pete Holmes' specials are pretty great. Video Game Doctor is one of my favorite bits of his.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 4 is by far the best season. Being made to be on Netflix instead of cable means each episode can be longer, and they aren't beholden to a case-of-the-week format. I think there's all of three investigations for the whole season. It's a show that likes to take its time and Netflix let them do that.
Yeah I'm glad I waited to start watching the show until they announced there was going to be a final season coming, because now I desperately gotta know what happens. That last ep in season 4 was crushing in so many ways.. Even the people who got what they wanted, I still felt really bad for them because you just know it's going to still tear all their relationships apart when those close to them find out what they've gotten into..! :ohdear:

Also after seeing some chatter on TV gossip sites etc, it actually exactly sounds like The Red Road really was aping Longmire, while aiming at a younger, edgier audience.. Apparently when Netflix picked up Longmire they got a HUGE bump in middle-aged and older subscribers, and are going to try to keep them by making the last season finally. It woulda been a pretty crushing thing to see that episode, get left on that cliffhanger, and then just assume the show was never coming back.

But the sheriff in The Red Road is basically Branch Connelly, with less access to huge amounts of money.

wormil posted:

The problem with MoaM is the "victim" is a scumbag and I give no shits that law enforcement hates him. The interesting story is if they frame him but I don't know if I can get that far.
So what you're saying is that you really hate poor, uneducated people? I really ended up having a pretty big soft spot for the poor guy. He and his family are obviously not going to ever improve their lot, but the guy really never got into any major trouble that most ignorant redneck guys in podunk towns would get into... Minor burglary and drunk and disordlies,

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

So what you're saying is that you really hate poor, uneducated people? I really ended up having a pretty big soft spot for the poor guy. He and his family are obviously not going to ever improve their lot, but the guy really never got into any major trouble that most ignorant redneck guys in podunk towns would get into... Minor burglary and drunk and disordlies,

setting his cat on fire, running his cousin off the road, pointing a gun at her, while naked -- maybe you need to watch the first episode again. Also, it is ironic that you accuse me of hating poor people but then say most of them get into worse trouble than Avery -- you have it backwards which of us is the bigot. That behavior isn't acceptable regardless of income status; and most poor people do not act that way.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

coyo7e posted:

So what you're saying is that you've completely bought into whatever agenda the documentary producers had?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Basically none of this is true and 5 seconds of googling would tell you as much.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

wormil posted:

setting his cat on fire, running his cousin off the road, pointing a gun at her, while naked -- maybe you need to watch the first episode again. Also, it is ironic that you accuse me of hating poor people but then say most of them get into worse trouble than Avery -- you have it backwards which of us is the bigot. That behavior isn't acceptable regardless of income status; and most poor people do not act that way.

You watched ten hours documenting how corrupt and untrustworthy the cops in that town were and the degrees they were willing to go to frame someone and the thing you took away from it was "the cops said he did a bunch of bad things in the past so he deserved it"

1redflag posted:

So what you're saying is that you've completely bought into whatever agenda the documentary producers had?

I don't know where you get the idea that every investigative piece of media needs to pretend like its completely neutral or give equal time to the opposing view in the name of some Fox New-esque pretense of being Fair and Balanced but it's objectively wrong and also the cancer that is killing journalism.

And everybody trying to refute the doc is even worse about bringing an agenda, like how a pair of fuzzy BDSM handcuffs with a quick-release button built into them that makes them impossible to use as a legitimate restraint is presented as manacles and leg irons which could only be used to restrain an unwilling victim.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

The doucumentarians literally edited the conversation between Massey and his mother to remove the part about him being molested by Steven because they found it "too inflammatory" i.e. didn't fit their victim narrative.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It was pretty obvious that most of the footage was edited to provide a better plot, but I flat-out grew up around people who run over cats for kicks and point guns at each other when they get drunk in the hills partying. It's why I moved to the city and advocate stronger gun control. The small-town cops there were also well-known for being nasty, spiteful POSes who'd cite you for bullshit or follow you around town each day hoping to catch you doing something they could gently caress with you over, small town cops are mean motherfuckers you don't wanna cross.

The incest/abuse stuff was made clear several times, I have absolutely no doubt that many of the branches of that family tree loop back into the trunk, but again, I grew up going to school with kids like that - they were born into it and mainly do not have the facilities to ever get out of it - even if they were aware of just how awful their circumstances are.

I'm probably soft though because my parents are both teachers and they'd regularly pick up filthy, smelly children to bring them to school when they drove me to school. I loving despised those kids when I was young, they would get in fights with me at school, leave my family's vehicles covered in mud, but it really wasn't the fault of those kids, and once they grow up, they're never going to go anywhere - I've literally driven down the highway past someone I went to middle school with, we're both in our mid 30s now, but I'm driving and they're walking a couple bags of empties 10 miles toward town from the trailer park they grew up in (which has been repeatedly fined for having sewage leaking into the water supply which those people use). They're the kind of people who can literally spend their entire life without going more than 40 miles from their hometown... Ever. I mean it used to blow my mind that someone could live and die without even going to the beach once, but they're there, and they're not hateful people, and they're not deserving of hate and disdain. They need help, and nobody gives a poo poo because they're too busy judging how they killed animals for sport as kids, and got abused while a child then repeated the cycle as an adult.

It doesn't excuse terrible behavior however, you can't judge someone from a high horse without seeing how hard their existence actually is. When a kid with IQ of 68 who's growing up in a junkyard/quarry points a gun at someone or lights a cat on fire in his adolescence/teens, he simply doesn't understand that it's wrong. I lost a few cats growing up in the country - you just get used to the fact that you either have an indoor pet, or it'll come home with .177 caliber pellets buried in its neck once in a while.

edit: it's kind of funny how people have no problem dumping on the poor and ignorant, while judges let rich people walk away from killing multiple people while drunk-driving, on the literal excuse that "they were too rich to know right from wrong." Why is "dumber than a bag of rocks and sexually/physically abused their whole life," a weaker defense, and more prone to having one thrown in jail nor prison? I grew up with my uncles and grandfathers all bragging about their drunk-driving exploits, for instance, and when I grew up I realized how dangerous and wrong it was. I have relatives who still live in the hills, and they do it all the time and would be pissed off if you tried to explain how wrong their weekend ritual is.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Feb 26, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

coyo7e posted:

It was pretty obvious that most of the footage was edited to provide a better plot, but I flat-out grew up around people who run over cats for kicks and point guns at each other when they get drunk in the hills partying. It's why I moved to the city and advocate stronger gun control. The small-town cops there were also well-known for being nasty, spiteful POSes who'd cite you for bullshit or follow you around town each day hoping to catch you doing something they could gently caress with you over, small town cops are mean motherfuckers you don't wanna cross.

The incest/abuse stuff was made clear several times, I have absolutely no doubt that many of the branches of that family tree loop back into the trunk, but again, I grew up going to school with kids like that - they were born into it and mainly do not have the facilities to ever get out of it - even if they were aware of just how awful their circumstances are.

I'm probably soft though because my parents are both teachers and they'd regularly pick up filthy, smelly children to bring them to school when they drove me to school. I loving despised those kids when I was young, they would get in fights with me at school, leave my family's vehicles covered in mud, but it really wasn't the fault of those kids, and once they grow up, they're never going to go anywhere - I've literally driven down the highway past someone I went to middle school with, we're both in our mid 30s now, but I'm driving and they're walking a couple bags of empties 10 miles toward town from the trailer park they grew up in (which has been repeatedly fined for having sewage leaking into the water supply which those people use). They're the kind of people who can literally spend their entire life without going more than 40 miles from their hometown... Ever. I mean it used to blow my mind that someone could live and die without even going to the beach once, but they're there, and they're not hateful people, and they're not deserving of hate and disdain. They need help, and nobody gives a poo poo because they're too busy judging how they killed animals for sport as kids, and got abused while a child then repeated the cycle as an adult.

It doesn't excuse terrible behavior however, you can't judge someone from a high horse without seeing how hard their existence actually is. When a kid with IQ of 68 who's growing up in a junkyard/quarry points a gun at someone or lights a cat on fire in his adolescence/teens, he simply doesn't understand that it's wrong. I lost a few cats growing up in the country - you just get used to the fact that you either have an indoor pet, or it'll come home with .177 caliber pellets buried in its neck once in a while.

edit: it's kind of funny how people have no problem dumping on the poor and ignorant, while judges let rich people walk away from killing multiple people while drunk-driving, on the literal excuse that "they were too rich to know right from wrong." Why is "dumber than a bag of rocks and sexually/physically abused their whole life," a weaker defense, and more prone to having one thrown in jail nor prison? I grew up with my uncles and grandfathers all bragging about their drunk-driving exploits, for instance, and when I grew up I realized how dangerous and wrong it was. I have relatives who still live in the hills, and they do it all the time and would be pissed off if you tried to explain how wrong their weekend ritual is.

Oh, okay.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Sleeveless posted:

I don't know where you get the idea that every investigative piece of media needs to pretend like its completely neutral or give equal time to the opposing view in the name of some Fox New-esque pretense of being Fair and Balanced but it's objectively wrong and also the cancer that is killing journalism.

yes, its the lack of yellow journalism that is killing journalism, Its so obvious.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I almost missed it, but for your Blue Mountain State fans, I just saw the movie Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland is up on Netflix.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm not 100% sure but either netflix figured out how to circumvent smartflix, or there's another wave of ddos attacks going on which are loving up my viewing of netflix via proxy. I've been getting "you're using a proxy" for over an hour now.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Mar 3, 2016

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

coyo7e posted:

I'm not 100% sure but either netflix figured out how to circumvent smartflix, or there's another wave of ddos attacks going on which are loving up my viewing of netflix via proxy. I've been getting "you're using a proxy" for over an hour now.

Netflix announced recently that they were seriously going after viewing by proxy. The pressure from the distribution companies has become more vocal and they had to start doing something, even though proxies were actually good for their business. I know I am cancelling my sub if I can't find a working solution (watching from Finland, the selection here sucks).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, I don't want to be a dick about it however, I've simply run out of content to stream. Maybe I'll subscribe like every third month just to see if there's new poo poo worth seeing.. I guess it's a fortunate thing that I'm going to be spending a ton of my time taking classes online in the next few months, maybe netflix can get their poo poo together

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hit up netflix support, they confirmed they're "expanding their global catalog" at the expense of stronger security. Canceled.

If they could manage to keep the US region catalog from stagnating for months at a stretch, it would be worthwhile, but I can just eyeball redbox.com and see what's new.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, if that happens I'm canceling too, some of my favorite shows are only available in the UK and the German Netflix doesn't have English subtitles for most content for some dumb reason and my girlfriend needs those so we were watching stuff from the US, it's not appealing otherwise. All nice things get destroyed by bullshit internet regions.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I got an email from Smartlix:

quote:

Netflix is currently using a new geo-restriction video stream blocking method, which will prevent the use of VPNs, proxies, and other unblocking utilities.

We estimate at this point in time, 30% of our users are blocked (and this unfortunately includes you). We are working on remedying this as fast as we can.

This is part of Netflix's crackdown on VPN's, more information on which can be found here: https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/evolving-proxy-detection-as-a-global-service

If you want to keep up to date, we'll be replying and updating on Reddit all day: https://www.reddit.com/r/smartflix/comments/48r9ho/smartflix_current_ongoing_issues_3rd_march_2016/

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
getflix works

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I never was a comic book person, but I grew up watching the animated Batman and Superman cartoons (because they ruled) and I gotta say that The Flashpoint Paradox was a lot more hosed up than I was expecting. That poo poo is dark. I mean geez.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!

Rolo posted:

I never was a comic book person, but I grew up watching the animated Batman and Superman cartoons (because they ruled) and I gotta say that The Flashpoint Paradox was a lot more hosed up than I was expecting. That poo poo is dark. I mean geez.

The art was awful, but yeah, it was pretty dark.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rolo posted:

I just found out this was on Netflix. The original comic event was great, I can't wait to watch this.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I'm on episode 4 of house of cards season 4 and I feel like it's better than season 3 so far. Season 1 was still the best though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

om nom nom posted:

I'm on episode 4 of house of cards season 4 and I feel like it's better than season 3 so far. Season 1 was still the best though.

Good to hear. S3 was inconsistent

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

om nom nom posted:

Season 4 is way better than 3

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Season 4 is good but it's an amazing series overall. The only thing that kinda peters out in S4 is Dunbar which I was kinda disappointed about as it was clear they had to make way for Conway but they could have really given the conclusion a bit more air time considering the whole build-up.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I'm almost finished with season 1 of Fresh Meat. I've never really liked college shows, but this is pretty drat good. Likeable characters, well written, and it has a story rather than just being a comedy.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So hard not to click that spoiler tag. My lady friend doesn't watch the HoC so I only watch it when she's out or reading. We don't watch too terribly much TV as it is so it's been slow going even though I want to take 10 hours and binge watch that poo poo in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm not sure if The Forbidden Room is brilliant, or if it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Either way, it's something, and it's on Netflix.