Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My theory is that it really will only take one guy an hour to downgrade the security because it's not as secure as Apple claims but they're terrified of that getting out so they want to appear like it takes a lot of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ornstien and smaugh

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

great hearing. seems like most ppl agree with apple. all the grandstanding was against comey except for trey gowdy.

issa completely dunked comey and cy vance

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
issa is probably legitimately worried about what the fbi can get with a warrant on his phone

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

broken clock opsec posted:

issa is probably legitimately worried about what the fbi can get with a warrant on his phone

yeah like telling the iranians to hold on to americans to make obama look bad

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Larry Parrish posted:

My theory is that it really will only take one guy an hour to downgrade the security because it's not as secure as Apple claims but they're terrified of that getting out so they want to appear like it takes a lot of time

well yeah its probably pretty easy to do if you wrote the original software and know how it works but you have to have apple's private key.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i liked when trey gowdy said "why doesn't apple have its lobbyists draft the legislation and submit it to congress"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i liked it when cremnob was probated

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

fart simpson posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
yesterday's hearing was the only time in my life i think i'll ever applaud issa, the dude's a scumsucking sack of poo poo but he made Comey look like an idiot

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/02/technology/apple-and-fbi-face-off-before-house-judiciary-committee.html

quote:

WASHINGTON — The head of the F.B.I. acknowledged on Tuesday that his agency lost a chance to capture data from the iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers when it ordered that his password to the online storage service iCloud be reset shortly after the rampage.

“There was a mistake made in the 24 hours after the attack,” James B. Comey Jr., the director of the F.B.I., told lawmakers at a hearing on the government’s attempt to force Apple to help “unlock” the iPhone.

F.B.I. personnel apparently believed that by resetting the iCloud password, they could get access to information stored on the iPhone. Instead, the change had the opposite effect — locking them out and eliminating other means of getting in.

:rubshands:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

fart simpson posted:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

sad price is right trombones dot aye eye eff eff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

how does comey walk around when hes always wearing clown shoes

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the iPhone SE could potentially be something much more than we think. it could be a clean break away from the iPhone Followed by a Number lineage. johnny has been saying they want to do something completely different with the iPhone but they're locked in a pattern of making it thinner, improving the camera, making it faster, rinse repeat.

at the very least it could be a testing ground for more daring ideas that would hamper the normal iPhone line. like the Lightning port-only design.

"accidentally" gave the order to reset the password, like called someone and spoke out loud in english "reset the password", but accidentally. again, the FBI saw this case and it was jus the opportunity they were looking for and they changed the password intentionally.

reminder that most of the stuff that happened post-9/11 was already planned, the war in Iraq, the patriot act, etc. there were documents written by the military and intelligence agencies saying "we need to do X and if Y happens, it would help us do X". not saying by any means that Mohammed Atta didn't do 9/11, just that these organizations contingency plan for everything. they have been openly asking for back doors for months, it's not by chance that a high profile terror case is now the legal battle ground for a precedent-setting decision.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I accidentally did the exact wrong thing. Clearly the remedy is to sue the people I told to do the wrong thing.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i think iCloud just hosed up

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

PleasureKevin posted:

i think iCloud just hosed up

they know you know

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I'm deriving much pleasure, zen death robot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
has anyone discovered why mobile safari is such a piece of trash that it will randomly load week old copies of websites when you hit the back button?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

has anyone discovered why mobile safari is such a piece of trash that it will randomly load week old copies of websites when you hit the back button?

and sadly it's the only Adblock

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its because the iphone has tiny ram and ios takes up most of it so slowfari has to unload everything every time you switch away. then when you switch back it loads cached pages cause its poorly written.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it was hilarious, if annoying, when it happened in winpho 7.5sp2(7.8), but i'd honestly expect better of apple in tyool two thousand and sixteen

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's surprising, is that my desktop PC which has the resources to just keep a cached copy of my browser history from 5 minutes ago will reload a fresh page for no reason when I hit back, but my iPhone decides I really wanted to see whatever it wrote into the cache file last week instead of a fresh copy that I looked at 30 seconds ago

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
opera used to have an AMAZING back button

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Mobile browsers are poo poo. The only way they work right is you open a tab, look at whatever, close the tab.

It's pointless to try keeping more than one tab open since they will reload it anyway every time you switch to it.

Glorious pc web browsing master race

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
I just wish Apple would actually let other browsers instead of WebKit clones

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they would just be poo poo in different ways while introducing security vulnerabilities.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

loving lomarf, idiots.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THC posted:

they would just be poo poo in different ways while introducing security vulnerabilities.

Unfortunately we really do live in the Snow Crash universe when it comes to computers and having them connect to any network is an inherently serious security flaw so I don't really think only allowing people to reskin Apple's godawful phone browser is really a significant part of Apple security technology. It's probably unironically a way for them to claim they have lots of market share and know stuff about web browsers, like Microsoft and Edge

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PleasureKevin posted:

the iPhone SE could potentially be something much more than we think. it could be a clean break away from the iPhone Followed by a Number lineage. johnny has been saying they want to do something completely different with the iPhone but they're locked in a pattern of making it thinner, improving the camera, making it faster, rinse repeat.

at the very least it could be a testing ground for more daring ideas that would hamper the normal iPhone line. like the Lightning port-only design.

iPhone Galaxy Nexus Edge gonna be great

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

infernal machines posted:

doesn't happen to me, safari continues to be the best mobile and desktop browser by a large margin

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't really understand people who are doing all this browsing on their phone and are constantly going back to things they looked at awhile before. i only ever browse on my phone when i'm out and need some info right now

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
elcrap breaks the gently caress out of the microsft intellipoint driver

theres a bunch of 3rd party poo poo whats the best one

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
3rd party snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

graph posted:

elcrap breaks the gently caress out of the microsft intellipoint driver

theres a bunch of 3rd party poo poo whats the best one

El Capitan breaks this one?

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29220/microsoft-mouse

I have no idea then, possibly usb overdrive?

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

• Locked thread