Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

are you serious :stare:

I mean I shouldn't be surprised but holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Then the defense lawyer pulled out a gun and began murdering the well known people in attendance, explaining that 'your signatures and merchandise will be more more valuable now that you've died in such a world famous fashion'

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

DJExile posted:

are you serious :stare:

I mean I shouldn't be surprised but holy poo poo

Shitheads were tweeting that at links to the story, I never thought it would be used as a legal defense.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

PotatoJudge posted:

Shitheads were tweeting that at links to the story, I never thought it would be used as a legal defense.

Another lawyer pointed out that the collateral source rule bars this defense from working at all so there really was no reason to bring it up

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Sports Illustrated Vault is back! :toot:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Where is:
[x] Stop writing and bring back your podcast

I don't know what Barstool Sports is beyond "it is a website." Will they still send PFT to the political debates?

edit

Is this really a sports website? The first 5 "articles" are "smokeshows of the day" from various places, then an article about Sam Bradford (36m/26m gtd over 2 years good god almighty), then 2 more non sports articles. Even Deadspin has a higher sports to nonsports ratio.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 2, 2016

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

I don't know what Barstool Sports is beyond "it is a website."

It's like gamer gate except for sports instead of video games

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Barstool is possibly the worst sports site on the Internet. It's just guys saying offensive poo poo over stuff they've stolen aggregated or vined off TV to get clicks and any analysis they may offer is just regurgitated garbage churned through a douche auto-translator.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Ribsauce posted:

I don't know what Barstool Sports is beyond "it is a website." Will they still send PFT to the political debates?

Remember the people that got arrested outside NFL offices for protesting the decision to suspend Tom Brady?

Those were some of Barstool's bigwigs.

e: haha I never noticed the new word filter

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 2, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Barstool sports is so bad that they'd probably put dumb word filters on the names of star athletes and think it was hilarious

wait gently caress

I mean they post lots of stupid offensive poo poo and probably laugh about people getting offended by it

wait...damnit!

well, they're not actually funny at all so I guess that's the difference

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh boy now that women writers are calling that place out for being a poo poo hole the BS staff are pulling the "what? We don't do anything, we can't control other people" faux innocence bit again

A friend of mine who has had the wrath of the bartstool idiots set against her on twitter in the past for not even saying anything terrible to them had to make her account private because they did it again yesterday. Great site. Great people.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

leokitty posted:

A friend of mine who has had the wrath of the bartstool idiots set against her on twitter in the past for not even saying anything terrible to them had to make her account private because they did it again yesterday. Great site. Great people.

I unfollowed PFTCommenter. I don't want to waste my time with anything to do with that site. Horrible audience.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Robert Klemko has gone from trusting Shaun King to calling him irresponsible. Shaun King responds to any question of his "reporting" with personal attacks and unrelated facts (his interview by Whitlock was so awful if Shaun King came in soaking wet and said it was raining outside I'd still go to the window and look). I had questions on something Robert Klemko wrote one time and he actually took the time to answer them all even though I am just a nobody loser. Klemko > King

Robert Klemko ‏@RobertKlemko 40m40 minutes ago
I was moved by the @ShaunKing story. I even RT'd it. Then I dug deeper and found how wildly irresponsible it was. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/01/peyton-manning-jamie-naughright-1996-incident-greg-johnson-voicemail

Robert KlemkoVerified account
‏@RobertKlemko
You can't receive a 74-page civil complaint, take it at face value, and write it up without contacting people named in it.

Also, I have gone this far without knowing what Gamer Gate or Barstool Sports are. Hopefully I can get my PFTCommenter fix and avoid everything else.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just don't get why he'd join. Does he think embedding himself with the audience he's making fun of will make him a huge success, like Larry the Cable Guy? Will he stare too far into the abyss and become his persona, also like Larry the Cable Guy?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just don't get why he'd join.

Money, probably

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Robert Klemko has gone from trusting Shaun King to calling him irresponsible. Shaun King responds to any question of his "reporting" with personal attacks and unrelated facts (his interview by Whitlock was so awful if Shaun King came in soaking wet and said it was raining outside I'd still go to the window and look). I had questions on something Robert Klemko wrote one time and he actually took the time to answer them all even though I am just a nobody loser. Klemko > King

I don't know why so many people take that article and the writer so seriously. He's not a journalist, likely a con artist, and writes for a tabloid. Was there just nothing else to talk about during the Super Bowl than this old story which has been extensively covered over a decade ago? It's just such a weird story to get all these real news outlets and writers up in arms over it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just don't get why he'd join. Does he think embedding himself with the audience he's making fun of will make him a huge success, like Larry the Cable Guy? Will he stare too far into the abyss and become his persona, also like Larry the Cable Guy?

The thing is, there's plenty of absurdist stuff at SB Nation, like Breaking Madden. Barstool isn't absurdist, it's just offensive. And it's a site that, despite some idiots investing in it, only has so much room to grow because of the deep crudeness.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There really aren't many outlets that can offer steady work to a guy whose exclusive skill is pretending to be an offensive idiot

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

morestuff posted:

There really aren't many outlets that can offer steady work to a guy whose exclusive skill is pretending to be an offensive idiot

Just Barstool Sports, Fox News and ESPN, really

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just Barstool Sports, Fox News and ESPN, really

Deadspin, Fox Sports, The Blaze, World Net Daily, Info Wars.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I like the idea that BarStool Sports offered him a huge check without 100% understanding the joke.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't know whether this should go in the NBA thread or this thread, so I'll put it in both: Darren Rovell going up against Kristaps Porzingis.

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/705150778944565248

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What a starfucker. Does he still call himself a journalist?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

I don't know whether this should go in the NBA thread or this thread, so I'll put it in both: Darren Rovell going up against Kristaps Porzingis.

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/705150778944565248

https://twitter.com/BunkiePerkins/status/705153111380226048?s=09

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

AsInHowe posted:

Deadspin, Fox Sports, The Blaze, World Net Daily, Info Wars.

why are you trashing the place that published your Michigan Man Manifesto

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rovell plays basketball exactly as you would expect Darren Rovell to play basketball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what a fuckin dink

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

I don't know why so many people take that article and the writer so seriously. He's not a journalist, likely a con artist, and writes for a tabloid. Was there just nothing else to talk about during the Super Bowl than this old story which has been extensively covered over a decade ago? It's just such a weird story to get all these real news outlets and writers up in arms over it.

It's a super gross story that most people did not know about. It most definitely was not covered "extensively", and people just pretended it never happened. I know a ton of people who only learned about it this year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MourningView posted:

It's a super gross story that most people did not know about. It most definitely was not covered "extensively", and people just pretended it never happened. I know a ton of people who only learned about it this year.

Yes it was covered extensively. Maybe young people didn't hear about it since it happened a long time ago or because you have to find it on more traditional media sources. But the stuff in 1996 was reported on and there were even a bunch of rumors about something that happened his Freshman year (which I believe is still sealed). Smoking Gun was one of the places that got the investigative report over a decade ago.

The defamation lawsuit was also covered by just about every major media outlet. You can find articles from ESPN, CNN, USA Today, and so on about it. The Indy Star did a bunch of reporting on it too (since he was playing in Indianapolis at the time). Christine Brennan wrote a big op-ed on it. Not sure what else you can do to cover a story online before social media was big.

Like I agree Peyton gets more favorable coverage in the media than others but the idea that there was some conspiracy to keep this story quiet is just wrong.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

http://deadspin.com/erin-andrews-espn-forced-me-to-go-on-tv-and-talk-about-1762058985

What the gently caress? How did this not leak? She should be suing ESPN.

ESPN put out a garbage statement which didn't deny what she said and claimed they were "supportive".

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1socruc

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I remember hearing about the Peyton thing originally, but it was definitely just 'boys will be boys lol mooned somebody who cares' and obviously now things like that are viewed completely differently.

I'm sure Shaun King could make a living for the rest of his life just bringing up old athlete stories from the 1980s-2000s that would seem reprehensible today and were barely covered at the time

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I can't get mad that he brought back a story that effectively had been buried.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I hate to be a truth is in the middle guy but Peyton doing that stuff is bad and Shaun King is legitimately a conman.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

I hate to be a truth is in the middle guy but Peyton doing that stuff is bad and Shaun King is legitimately a conman.

Yeah I really wish someone else would have written that story so idiots like Whitlock and Clay Travis couldn't just brush it aside with "lol that dude's not even black".

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah I really wish someone else would have written that story so idiots like Whitlock and Clay Travis couldn't just brush it aside with "lol that dude's not even black".
I don't know anything much Clay Travis but from what I can tell he is the Rush Limbaugh of sports. Anyway, Whitlock did way more than say "lol that dude's not even black." He devoted an entire episode of The Herd to the story when Cowherd was out. He had two journalists who wrote about the story in 2003, including word for word about Peyton sitting on the trainer's face (which King still thinks no one ever reported on even though Whitlock told him what paragraph in the 2003 story it was mentioned) and Shaun King. Honestly, the entire episode is really good except when Chris Kluwe comes on because holy poo poo is that guy a moron.

He did not even clown Shaun King, he let Shaun King clown himself, which was an easy task. I'll never believe anything that dude writes again. I posted about it a few pages back, but the highlight of the entire show was Shaun King proving he was black by talking about being with a rapper when he was 14 or so and the "soul food"* restaurant they were in getting shot up. He swore it was true, said "ask the rapper, he will tell you...I stake my life on this story." In a tweet that has apparently been deleted, the rapper said he didn't even know who Shaun King was. Apparently King told this story at his Undefeated interview and ESPN tried to vet it, decided it was a lie, and did not offer him a job.

*King's emphasis

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Wait, is this a different Shaun King from the former Tampa QB? I've been so confused this entire time.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Groucho Marxist posted:

Oh yeah, he's not a 'journalist' at all, but it doesn't take a journalist to point out that Peyton Manning put his cock and balls on someone's face

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Oh yeah, he's not a 'journalist' at all, but it doesn't take a journalist to point out that Peyton Manning put his cock and balls on someone's face

Yeah this is where I'm at on it too

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Not according to Peyton's buddy, who hasn't bothered to say anything about this until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm more talking about that he's held multiple fundraisers online where the money seems to mysteriously vanish.