Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never played any Souls games but Bloodborne is $24 on PSN, worth it?

I like games with customization and I was a pretty big fan of Ninja Gaiden 1+2 so it seems like a no-brainer, but the most actiony game I've played in the last year or so was Shadows of Mordor which is pretty baby-times in terms of difficulty. Also, is it one of those games where there's a bunch of different weapons/armor/fighting styles but one is clearly way better than everything else, or is there actually a lot of variety to it?

Souls games are the best games probably ever made IMO, so yeah that's a crazy steal.

The only reason not to get it at that price would be if souls' games just really aren't your thing because you don't like the challenge, but if you like ninja gaiden then gently caress it dude pull the trigger already you're gonna love it.

Bloodborne doesn't have nearly the variety of dark souls, but it still has TONS of variety, way more than ninja gaiden. There are like 2-3 weapons which are like, a bit OP compared to the rest, but you can absolutely beat the game with any weapon of your choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So I'm apparently getting a second hand 360 in a couple days and I'm wondering what exclusives (or things that may as well be exclusive due to not working properly on other platforms) I should pick up. I'm already looking at getting Bayonetta, Tales of Versperia, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and possibly Fable 2. What else stands out?

I'm leery of shooters due to general homogenization and not having a mouse and keyboard but I've stuck it out before for some. Horror games, not that I expect any, are straight out. Beyond that I'll play almost anything.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I'm looking for a game to play late-night when I'm stoned and about to head to bed. Ideally looking for something turn-based or that vein - something I can take my time with and not feel rushed. I'd like it to be something I can pick up and play 5-15 minutes at a time. Basically, when I'm too tired/high to play an MMO or Far Cry or whatever, I want to play your recommended game.

Games that previously filled this niche include Hearthstone, Transistor, Jotun, and way back in the past, things like SimTower or SimCity 2000. I still pick up Everyday Shooter every now and then, have had that game forever. I tried more complex games like Spacechem, old-school XCOM, Civ5 etc. and they're great but way too complex for a casual sit-down.

If you don't mind old school graphics and like survival games, Unreal World just got released on Steam and I use it for exactly that purpose. It's an iron-age Finland simulator where you have to survive, craft your stuff, hunt/gather/fish/put out traps for food, wood and pelts, and trade what you can make/gather with villages for those precious things you can't craft like axes or pots, and get better armor and weapons to fight off wild beasts or nasty humans (either bloodthirsty Njerpez warriors that will only settle for your death or simple robbers that will try to get your stuff either by talking or by bludgeoning you over the head).

Winter is harsh, you have to build shelter, possibly a log cabin, and get a decent source of food and a good plan for having enough in those dark, scarce months. You can get hurt, ill, die from hypotermia or get mauled by a bear you woke up by traipsing into a cave for shelter from the cold weather. Oh and if you're evil and hungry enough you can just kill off a whole village, cut children to pieces and eat them raw. This will however most probably incur the wrath of the spirits that will gently caress you over by making an angry lynx sneak next to you when you're asleep.

Being turn-based means you can take your time, but it can get quite frantic especially in combat, or when running away from a wolf pack or desperatly trying to catch a fish with your spear to avoid starving out. The game has been in development since 1992, I started playing it in 2001 I think back when it was version 2.6 and the game sees semi-regular patches that add content, in the past it was about 1-2 per year but in recent times it's more 3-4 patches per year and it doesn't seem they'll be stopping anytime soon!

Best of all, if you're too cheap to get it on Steam, you can get it for free - it's version 3.2 while on Steam it's 3.3, but next week 3.3 should be available for free too and they'll keep maintaining both the free and Steam version afaik (same features too, it's not "lite" or anything). I heartily recommend buying it or making a donation if you enjoy it though, the developers support it non-stop and they clearly love the game so they deserve some money.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 26, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So I'm apparently getting a second hand 360 in a couple days and I'm wondering what exclusives (or things that may as well be exclusive due to not working properly on other platforms) I should pick up. I'm already looking at getting Bayonetta, Tales of Versperia, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and possibly Fable 2. What else stands out?

I'm leery of shooters due to general homogenization and not having a mouse and keyboard but I've stuck it out before for some. Horror games, not that I expect any, are straight out. Beyond that I'll play almost anything.

Vanquish. It's a third person shooter with cover mechanics, but nothing like gears of war or other games of that type.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

TorakFade posted:

If you don't mind old school graphics and like survival games, Unreal World just got released on Steam and I use it for exactly that purpose. It's an iron-age Finland simulator where you have to survive, craft your stuff, hunt/gather/fish/put out traps for food, wood and pelts, and trade what you can make/gather with villages for those precious things you can't craft like axes or pots, and get better armor and weapons to fight off wild beasts or nasty humans (either bloodthirsty Njerpez warriors that will only settle for your death or simple robbers that will try to get your stuff either by talking or by bludgeoning you over the head).

Winter is harsh, you have to build shelter, possibly a log cabin, and get a decent source of food and a good plan for having enough in those dark, scarce months. You can get hurt, ill, die from hypotermia or get mauled by a bear you woke up by traipsing into a cave for shelter from the cold weather. Oh and if you're evil and hungry enough you can just kill off a whole village, cut children to pieces and eat them raw. This will however most probably incur the wrath of the spirits that will gently caress you over by making an angry lynx sneak next to you when you're asleep.

Being turn-based means you can take your time, but it can get quite frantic especially in combat, or when running away from a wolf pack or desperatly trying to catch a fish with your spear to avoid starving out. The game has been in development since 1992, I started playing it in 2001 I think back when it was version 2.6 and the game sees semi-regular patches that add content, in the past it was about 1-2 per year but in recent times it's more 3-4 patches per year and it doesn't seem they'll be stopping anytime soon!

Best of all, if you're too cheap to get it on Steam, you can get it for free - it's version 3.2 while on Steam it's 3.3, but next week 3.3 should be available for free too and they'll keep maintaining both the free and Steam version afaik (same features too, it's not "lite" or anything). I heartily recommend buying it or making a donation if you enjoy it though, the developers support it non-stop and they clearly love the game so they deserve some money.

I like the idea of this game but never got into it because of the interface, does it still take 3-4 button presses to perform one action?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Geektox posted:

I like the idea of this game but never got into it because of the interface, does it still take 3-4 button presses to perform one action?

Sadly yes, there's been a bit of streamlining and rationalizing over time and I personally find it's gotten easier (I think you can actually use the mouse for some things like skill selection and menus now!), but you're still going to press a ton of buttons. Having played it for literally 15 years it's not an issue for me at all but I can see how it might disconcert people, but then again most roguelikes are like this.

Just give another spin to the free version and check out the help menu to see if you can come to terms with the keypresses needed, it's very worth it to learn it if you like the concept of the game, it's one of the very best in its genre imo.

Actually, since the Steam version is out and hopefully the game is going to get some attention, I'll do a new post about it where we can talk about it if anybody is interested. Edit: aaaand done.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 26, 2016

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Looking for something mystery-ish or detective-ish. PC would be the easiest, don't care if it's an older game or not. I've played LA Noire, Murdered Soul Suspect, and Heavy Rain - I really liked all three of them in terms of the investigative parts. I like the idea of solving mysteries. Any thoughts?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What are my options for active multiplayer RTS that is not starcraft 2?

Is COH2 still regarded as trash? I know it was not so great on release, but I've heard Relic has patched and apparently it might not be so bad now. I loved COH1 and played it for like 5 years.
Does COH2 have party matchmaking that actually works easily?

I've been playing a lot of Total War: Arena simply because it is easy/quick to find games with a group of friends. Rome 2 multiplayer seems to be pretty active also, 1v1 matchmaking at least.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

Looking for something mystery-ish or detective-ish. PC would be the easiest, don't care if it's an older game or not. I've played LA Noire, Murdered Soul Suspect, and Heavy Rain - I really liked all three of them in terms of the investigative parts. I like the idea of solving mysteries. Any thoughts?

If you haven't played Her Story that is literally what that is. You have no go into it completely unspoiled on anything in the game though. Other than that... the Witness, kinda?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Capsaicin posted:

The latter Sherlock Holmes games have been decent. Crimes & Punishments is almost 100% investigating crime scenes and interrogating suspects. The Testament of Sherlock Holmes has a bunch of quite hard logic puzzles, which don't really sit well with the game. The older games get progressively worse, with their half-baked 3d engine and general adventure game cruft making them close to incomprehensible at times.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

If you don't mind adventure games Gemini Rue could fit the bill.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Capsaicin posted:

I liked Cthulhu, Dark Corners of the Earth, pretty old game but spot on on the setting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Capsaicin posted:

Contradiction, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, Her Story, and Gone Home.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

What's your tolerance for old games? Because you should track down Westwood's Blade Runner. It's not hard to find the files with some digging and there's a custom installer out there as well if the game doesn't play nice.

Also what's your tolerance for anime? Because Danganronpa is like Battle Royale meets Phoenix Wright where you're investigating murder scenes and then have to piece together whodunnit during a grand trial.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Using that photograph enhancement thingy in blade runner was dope to my younger self

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Yeah, forgot to say I've played a lot of the Phoenix Wright/Dangan/Zero Escape type stuff. Completely okay with older games. I'll check out the Sherlock games; forgot that I had Her Story already. I need ot try that out soon.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Capsaicin posted:

If you don't mind REALLY old games, The Colonel's Bequest is one of the very few games in which you actually need to solve the mystery yourself rather than just keep progressing until the mystery is revealed.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Capsaicin posted:

The Last Express. It's a bit avant-garde, but it has a very neat real-time/reactive storyline gimmick, and it's very much a detective mystery game.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
SuperHot made me feel very powerful, in between moments when I was dying. What's a good game where I can feel very powerful as I take people apart fairly calmly?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

SuperHot made me feel very powerful, in between moments when I was dying. What's a good game where I can feel very powerful as I take people apart fairly calmly?

Surgeon Simulator :v:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Whatever flavor of Koei Tecmo Warriors game appeals to you most.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you like SUPERHOT you'll probably also like Hotline Miami, if you haven't played one of those. I still think the first has the tighter and better designed levels.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Dishonored, Mark of the Ninja or Just Cause 3.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, I was thinking a little bit more actually-slow-paced. SuperHot is a very calming game.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Ronin's similar since it becomes sort of turn based once the action starts

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Vanquish. It's a third person shooter with cover mechanics, but nothing like gears of war or other games of that type.

Everyone should play Vanquish. You can play it as a cover shooter, but it actually rewards you much better to just go balls to the wall. It's fantastic

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Fat Samurai posted:

I liked Cthulhu, Dark Corners of the Earth, pretty old game but spot on on the setting.

I loved Dark Corners, been wanting another Arkham Horror-type setting game like this. That hotel in Innsmouth one of the most memorable moments in gaming history for me. And they did insanity right, most titles now ruin any ambience with constant cheap jumpscares

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Ronin's similar since it becomes sort of turn based once the action starts
yeah play Ronin. More people should, generally.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Sure, I'll look into Ronin, thanks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

The first Gabriel Knight game is definitely worth playing and was one of my favorite old Sierra point and clicks. I think there's a modern remake available as well although I have no clue how good it is.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah play Ronin. More people should, generally.

I got the ability to throw a sword, and to use the grapple, but I can't seem to do either in combat. Anything I should know about the controls?

Edit: Oh, I figured those out. Game doesn't tell you how to play, really. Unless I missed a manual.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 5, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thauros posted:

The first Gabriel Knight game is definitely worth playing and was one of my favorite old Sierra point and clicks. I think there's a modern remake available as well although I have no clue how good it is.

It just ain't the same without Tim Curry

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

A real old but pretty good game in this vein is Realms of the Haunting. I never finished it but it's a pretty charming mix of old FMV/shooter/puzzle-solving. Not sure if it's on Steam but it's definitely on GOG.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ronin is awesome but yes, it does expect you to figure some things out for yourself. I have yet to beat NG+, upgraded machine gun enemies are assholes.

Gobblecoque posted:

A real old but pretty good game in this vein is Realms of the Haunting. I never finished it but it's a pretty charming mix of old FMV/shooter/puzzle-solving. Not sure if it's on Steam but it's definitely on GOG.

Not finishing it is pretty consistent with thinking it is good and charming. It becomes a slog and also obviously rushed toward the end. See This LP for details (and, of course, for some gameplay).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked the old adventure game Still Life, it's about a murder mystery. There's only one puzzle that sucks (baking cookies). I liked it because it's probably the only adventure game I've ever played where I solved all the puzzles myself.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Still Life is an awesome game with fantastic puzzles but the mystery itself is pretty terribly executed especially with the ending

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for a Mahjong client for PC. It needs to have AI players -- I don't know if Mahjong AI is good enough to practice against to improve, but that's okay, because I mostly just want something to help me learn the rules.

Free would be good, sub-$15 would be okay. Working natively on Windows 10 without any tweaks would be a plus.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I need 2 recommendations for different things. Very different things.

First: I played Firewatch and absolutely loved it. What are some other games that will tug at the heart strings and have amazing stories? Don't care if it's First Person or not, but I have already played To The Moon (and sobbed like a little small baby).

Second: I need a FPS that is very fast to get playing. Doesn't have to be Steam. Can be anything, really. I just want to get up and shooting fast, when I've got a few minutes to kill. Right now I've got nothing that scratches that itch.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Second: I need a FPS that is very fast to get playing. Doesn't have to be Steam. Can be anything, really. I just want to get up and shooting fast, when I've got a few minutes to kill. Right now I've got nothing that scratches that itch.

Play some loving Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

dis astranagant posted:

Play some loving Doom.

EDIT: Nevermind. The new one isn't out yet. I've played the old one forever.