Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Orv posted:

A much better game killed by equally stupid devs.

Hawken was terrible at higher matchmaker tiers (a familiar concept), even more than MWO. Because of terrible decisions by those devs, competitive play consisted of using the lightest fastest robots and throwing a grenade at the other guys in fast robots, then waiting for your grenade cooldown to finish so you can do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
To put a slightly more positive spin on the thread. Pubbies are actually listening today.
Also, I think I managed to get my King Crab perfect.

with this build

and using a 150ms delay on firecontrol

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Scoops posted:

yeah he really should have more respect for the retard talking about making this arena shooter more like a sim

This doesn't have anything to do with what I posted at all. Want to try again?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Sputty posted:

Who cares what lovely players do? People don't deathball now and run LRMs but they're irrelevant. People would shove loads of small lasers and SRMs into XL mechs and run around alphaing. The game has always been about running alpha heavy builds. Whether it was the early high speed huge XL brawl mechs, the poptart snipers, gauss builds and now lasers the builds have never been alpha based.

It's a problem that has a non-trivial solution.

Alpha builds, whether they're long range peek and poke snipers, mid-range peek and poke laser boats, pop tarts, or any other variation of "step out of cover, unload everything, jump back into cover" are advantageous precisely because you're ideally maximizing the ratio of "time spent actually shooting" versus "time spent getting shot". Likewise, damage up front will always have an advantage over more leveled DPS builds.

It's a problem made more complex by the fact that weapons systems are all direct trade offs - small vs medium lasers not only involve more tonnage for more damage, but also cost more heat and more range and burn time. Even when you have some values being similar, there are typically other concerns that make a straight comparison difficult to quantify.

What's the solution? Well, one way to approach the problem would be via copious amounts of data analysis. Comparing performance data of weapons and weapon configurations direct from played matches, in quantity, should give you plenty of information on what weapons players are actually using, what weapons players are ignoring, distribution of engagement ranges the weapon is fired at and the average damage done at those ranges, as well as any other performance data you'd care to capture. Ideally, you'd review this wealth of data and make actual data-driven informed judgments on the impact of tweaking weapon values, as well as be able to view actual data on the impact of your changes.

On the other hand, :pgi:

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
How bout just getting the gently caress away from table top rules because they are video game poison. gently caress Russ forever.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rape Stink posted:

How bout just getting the gently caress away from table top rules because they are video game poison. gently caress Russ forever.

Either commit to tabletop rules (like the HBS/FASA game is) or redo everything to work as a real-time pinpoint-aim shooter.

:pgi:'s problem is that they want to have their cake and eat it too

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Either commit to tabletop rules (like the HBS/FASA game is) or redo everything to work as a real-time pinpoint-aim shooter.

:pgi:'s problem is that they want to have their cake and eat it too

HBS actually said they're changing the rules.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Skoll posted:

HBS actually said they're changing the rules.

Blah, you know what I meant, they're not trying to make a turn-based system work in real-time. Or a random-hit-location one work when you can have pinpoint precision.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Rape Stink posted:

They only barely implemented the tabletop rules, and then all the stuff that actually helps to balance those rules they left out. Stuff like the Battle Value system, the fact that some mechs and weapon systems are specifically for shooting at infantry, tanks, or aerospace fighters. Their ECM implementation was stupid since they added the guardian system that was not even within the timeline that they specified. They totally rewrote the rules for LRM's and didn't implement them as they work in tabletop at all (you can't shoot indirect fire unless a mech does nothing but share targeting data without shooting unless it has tag or narc for example). They deviated so far from the tabletop rules that when they say they are trying to stay close to tabletop it's a complete bullshit line to try to cover for the fact that they were terrible at implementing those systems in the first place. They didn't even implement the close-medium-long range mechanic which is about as essential as the heat system to weapon balance. And the implementation of targeting computers and command computers is practically useless. I can't think of any tabletop system besides hit locations that actually made it into the game intact, tonnage and critical slots too I suppose.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 3, 2016

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Holy poo poo you actually think that tabletop systems can work well in a realtime first person game :magical:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

mashed_penguin posted:

Holy poo poo you actually think that tabletop systems can work well in a realtime first person game :magical:

He's not saying that, it's about the weak-rear end implementation of what they did have to work with.

I'm boomarking his post in Netscape right now. Not just for the forums, but it's own, legit bookmark.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
the Phoenix Hawk has no bundle discount and the heroes cost the same as the Kodiak one even when it's 55 tons lighter? i'm fairly certain both 45 ton hero mechs cost less than $15. PGI is seriously loving stupid

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
in contrast, mech's shouldn't cost more depending on weight they are. PGI is stupid

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

mashed_penguin posted:

No, I'm saying they are a bunch of lovely game designers who can't even cleave to anything they are saying.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of dumb bullshit, have they said anything about Marauders date for not-dollars?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Washout posted:

No, I'm saying they are a bunch of lovely game designers who can't even cleave to anything they are saying.

And yet you guys still give them money and content for the whales :allears:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The phoenix hawk is exactly the IS medium I've been waiting for. I just hope the size is scaled well with the tonnage.

It's probably going to be the IS version of the shadow cat in a brawl though.

I'm going to zombie mine with medium pulses and machineguns :v:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, another incredibly lame looking humanoid mech.

That thing has a gun in his hand, how they gonna model that ingame, cosidering you can change loadouts and stuff?

e: big fat lol for the ultimate bundle, which saves you exactly zero cent.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

DancingShade posted:

The phoenix hawk is exactly the IS medium I've been waiting for. I just hope the size is scaled well with the tonnage.

It's probably going to be the IS version of the shadow cat in a brawl though.

I'm going to zombie mine with medium pulses and machineguns :v:

Sucker

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Greetings fellow mechwarriors online player.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

Holy poo poo you don't even bother reading.

Orv posted:

Speaking of dumb bullshit, have they said anything about Marauders date for not-dollars?

I want to say May, but I could be wrong, and I'm not going to bother to go look.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm not giving them any money and I'm glad I didn't buy the Kodiak

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Stringbean posted:

What's the loving complaint with the 85 dollar package? 8 mechs, 60 days of premium, 3 each of hanging, mounted, standing cockpit items, all the pre-order bonuses. Seems like a fair deal for those who still like the game and plan on giving PGI more money.

lol if you're at a fat retard who wants to give pgi money for an overpriced product before they actually delivery

they have never nerfed or fundamentally changed something once it became available for cbills

they also totally deserve more money for being very competent at running a business

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

That thing has a gun in his hand, how they gonna model that ingame, cosidering you can change loadouts and stuff?

I hope it's just a stick that they bolt the weapon on to, and that all the weapons look like the VCR boxes on the catapult.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hmm, is 4 x Small laser + 2 x smallpulse (with the rest an ECM and heatsinks, obviously) better than 5x small pulse laser on an arctic cheater? I feel the extra heatsink helps a lot and it gives you slightly more alpha than you would otherwise get.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Drythe posted:

lol if you're at a fat retard who wants to give pgi money for an overpriced product before they actually delivery

they have never nerfed or fundamentally changed something once it became available for cbills

they also totally deserve more money for being very competent at running a business

lol if you thought I put any more money down until I know what the future holds. Nor would I ever put 85 bucks down on any one game in any one sitting. (Except Dark Souls 3)

At this point the angry rants and insults aren't contributing to the thread in any way. It's not even constructive in any way. New goons are coming in and probably turned away because of the toxicity. Just give them the old "Game is okay now, changes may or may not make it worse. Save your cash, don't buy mechs with real money."

"I like playing this game" is the equivalent of "lol I'm a big dumb gay baby" in this thread. We loving get it, you all aren't holding your breath waiting for PGI to not gently caress things up. We get that you don't give money to this company because of their track records. But spewing pure vitriol isn't going to make things any better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Remember it's cool and edgy to say [video game] is bad. That's how you get your reddit gold.

Oh wait.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drythe posted:

What nerfs have the resistance mechs received? Or the IIC mechs, for that matter?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

A.o.D. posted:

What nerfs have the resistance mechs received? Or the IIC mechs, for that matter?

The Black Knight went from utter trash to legit one of the best mechs in the game

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Stringbean posted:

New goons are coming in and probably turned away because of the toxicity.

Good, it's time someone finally took a stand against the toxic attitude of this thread. it's so toxic, i can't believe how toxic it is to the community. it's just toxic and killing the proud goon community of mwo and discouraging people from playing a lovely game run by idiots. so toxic. stairs.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Good, it's time someone finally took a stand against the toxic attitude of this thread. it's so toxic, i can't believe how toxic it is to the community. it's just toxic and killing the proud goon community of mwo and discouraging people from playing a lovely game run by idiots. so toxic. stairs.

I know this is like, a ~pErSoNa~ for the purposes of this thread and harvesting goon tears but let me level with you, it's super obvious.

Try doing things like insinuating SRM 4s are better than ASRM6 in certain situations. Advocate the long range meta, offer helpful advice like "shoot the event more than you get shot" and the ever helpful "get good kid".

Furthermore I bought a kodiak because I was craving a pizza and I'm a fat piece of poo poo, so when I crave takeaway I eat a salad and spend the money on something equally as likely to be turned into poo poo as a pizza.

This is why I own marauders as well.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
are you having a stroke or something

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

A Curvy Goonette posted:

:mediocre:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Random Number posted:

I know this is like, a ~pErSoNa~ for the purposes of this thread and harvesting goon tears but let me level with you, it's super obvious.

Try doing things like insinuating SRM 4s are better than ASRM6 in certain situations. Advocate the long range meta, offer helpful advice like "shoot the event more than you get shot" and the ever helpful "get good kid".

Furthermore I bought a kodiak because I was craving a pizza and I'm a fat piece of poo poo, so when I crave takeaway I eat a salad and spend the money on something equally as likely to be turned into poo poo as a pizza.

I perfectly understand the don't give money to :pgi: aspect. It only reinforces their stupidity, but damnit, I need a big stompy bare. Plus, unless you're a shutin goonlord, just skip eating fast food a couple times that week and you've saved enough for a new robot. Plus you might lose a pound or 2.

This thread is like Michigan water :v:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

veedubfreak posted:

I perfectly understand the don't give money to :pgi: aspect. It only reinforces their stupidity, but damnit, I need a big stompy bare. Plus, unless you're a shutin goonlord, just skip eating fast food a couple times that week and you've saved enough for a new robot. Plus you might lose a pound or 2.

This thread is like Michigan water :v:

Lead addled and full of piss?

I occasionally spend money on things that I will spend many hours entertaining myself with. $20 for the Rifleman (shush, I like Riflemen) pack from a Christmas eve gift card? Perfect. I've spent a good 20 hours eliting them out. $1 per hour of entertainment is pretty goddamn cheap.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 3, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Talmonis posted:

Lead addled and full of piss?

And lots of salt.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
you know once the Phoenix Hawk is out for fake money, you can do some interesting things with it.

One theorycraft I saw was this for the energyboat:

PHX-1K
Just endo
XL325 = 125 kph
8 small pulse lasers
Full armor -2 on head
16 double heatsinks

No jets but I think that could be pretty good?

You can also do a gauss/2ML sniper with three tons of ammo on the -1B, and you'd be going 104 with an XL270

not gamebreaking but probably p. viable

the heroes will both likely be bad though

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pattonesque posted:

you know once the Phoenix Hawk is out for fake money, you can do some interesting things with it.

One theorycraft I saw was this for the energyboat:

PHX-1K
Just endo
XL325 = 125 kph
8 small pulse lasers
Full armor -2 on head
16 double heatsinks

No jets but I think that could be pretty good?

You can also do a gauss/2ML sniper with three tons of ammo on the -1B, and you'd be going 104 with an XL270

not gamebreaking but probably p. viable

the heroes will both likely be bad though

Could also drop one or two of the pulse lasers for some jump jets.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Random Number posted:

They're just preparing you for when we inevitably get put into GBS again. No wait... getting put into GBS actually improved the thread last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Talmonis posted:

Could also drop one or two of the pulse lasers for some jump jets.

That variant doesn't have them :(

you coooould do something like that on the PHX-2, with ECM and JJs. Maybe 5 or 6 MPL?

• Locked thread