Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I'm waiting until the next DLC or the current DLC to be on sale and CO to be finished with patches that destroy all mods before I get back into this. Waiting for the ol' dust to settle.

\/ With how game breaking each patch/dlc has been I'm really surprised they don't.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
It would be really nice if they'd let players opt in to older versions through the steam beta tab, the way Paradox does for their games

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Fine Road Heights is being looked into right now, hope it gets fixed soon. I was planning to do some Interchanges (tm) today :smith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Most of the major mods seem to get fixed almost same-day as game-breaking patches. It's still a lot of work for them and the moment they burn out, there goes a huge chunk of features a lot of people have come to rely on. Which is why I really think CO needs to take all the best quality of life mods (and some of the better gameplay mods) and just roll them into the game. Just change the height system to move in smaller increments, now no one needs fine road heights. Add some additional tool tips and guides to road building, now we don't need precision engineering. Basic poo poo like that.

Then gut the entire zoning, rci, and growth system and replace it with something like realistic pop and consumption, scrap the entire idea of "levels" and replace it with a sc4 style system where density and wealth are totally decoupled. :burger:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Welp, everything is so broken that I can't even install water pipes. Guess I'll do something else with my sick day.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My game won't even open. Hooray!

E: ok when I reset the game cache after deleting all mods i can get to the main menu but I can't even re-download mods without it crashing. I am quite upset. All I wanted to do was make a strip club commercial building into a landmark/unique building :(

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 2, 2016

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

These are some of the nicest looking trains and highways I've seen. It's really all in the curves and sense of scale. If you keep your track and road geometry nice and gentle things can look so nice.
http://imgur.com/a/dghSN

Check out the whole gallery.

Very nice find!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

quote:

Fixed: Levelcrossing with highway has gravel instead of pavement.
Why would you ever build a level crossing over a highway? I didn't even know that was possible in this game :psyduck:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Icedude posted:

Why would you ever build a level crossing over a highway? I didn't even know that was possible in this game :psyduck:

There is such a crossing in Quebec.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
that just seems like a really bad idea. unless the highway has relatively low amounts of traffic, but even then

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would report it if keeping a Paradox forums account up to date was a sane task, but it looks like elevated "level" crossings still treat trains as a car with a length of the leading engine. I don't know why you would ever by the time you are elevating either road or train, but still.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

OSI bean dip posted:

There is such a crossing in Quebec.

I love the skid marks that lead up to the crossing itself.

Intersections aren't that uncommon on more rural, less heavily trafficed highways as it's a lot cheaper than maintaining bridges and on ramps but it's not something you'd commonly see in large cities. I've seen them across most areas of the US and Canada that I've travelled through.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Level crossings are super common in rural parts of BC Canada, I can't recall seem them on a major separated highway though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A new patch and tram only tracks still have a max speed of 40. This is true meaning of suffering.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any collections of high tech/level 3 industry growables floating around? I miss the nice lawn-having HT industrial parks from SC4.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Avocados posted:

Any collections of high tech/level 3 industry growables floating around? I miss the nice lawn-having HT industrial parks from SC4.

There aren't that many buildings available in the 'Industrial Generic' category (only 172), and a quick glance tells me that you're probably not going to get what you're looking for :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Koesj posted:

There aren't that many buildings available in the 'Industrial Generic' category (only 172), and a quick glance tells me that you're probably not going to get what you're looking for :(

:(

Yeah, it looks more or less the same from when I last checked a week or two ago. I figured some intrepid user would have ported them in at some point. They were real nice to look at.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Which mod is it that's broken down with the patch that's preventing me from laying down any streets in a new city? I want to disable that one.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Avocados posted:

:(

Yeah, it looks more or less the same from when I last checked a week or two ago. I figured some intrepid user would have ported them in at some point. They were real nice to look at.

Ported from where? SC4? That's a 2D game :downs:

Yeah I know, people built those things in 3D and then took screenshots from really elaborate renders. But! Those assets aren't in any way or shape Skylines ready; it's often easier to produce a million-poly model for cool renders than a stripped-down thousand poly one with added texturing headaches.

Ofaloaf posted:

Which mod is it that's broken down with the patch that's preventing me from laying down any streets in a new city? I want to disable that one.

Fine Road Heights. Again. It's truly the hackiest of hacks and one of the other modders should port its functionality through the detours library or something, I don't even know what that means!

Koesj fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 3, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

scrap the entire idea of "levels" and replace it with a sc4 style system where density and wealth are totally decoupled. :burger:

Sadly, this change would be so fundamental I doubt you could do it in expansions. We'll probably have to wait for Skylines 2.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I enjoyed how upset a bunch of simtropolis super stars got all flustered that they couldn't just export their 10 million poly render files into Skylines. Some seemed pretty butt hurt that they couldn't just continue their legacy unchanged in a new game and would actually have to learn totally new and very different methods.

I don't really keep track, but have any of the "big name" sc4 modelers actually created much for skylines, or were they all too unable to adapt to the needs of real time rendering?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I recall seeing things up on the workshop with the 'HAM' name attached, and I could've sworn there was a HAM in the SC4 modding scene, but googling it now I get nothing and I'm starting to wonder if aliens put fake memories in my head or something.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 3, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Aren't SC4 modders mostly still modding SC4?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ofaloaf posted:

I recall seeing things up on the workshop with the 'HAM' name attached, and I could've sworn there was a HAM in the SC4 modding scene, but googling it now I get nothing and I'm starting to wonder if aliens put fake memories in my head or something.

I dunno how it was related in SC4 but I totally remember HAM being something related to modding.

SC4 had some pretty good custom content but the super highly-detailed stuff clashed with Maxis default buildings. It as always hit and miss for me.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Might be thinking of NAM, which was the whole network addon mod or whatever it was called in SC4.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I finally got around to adding in some of the custom music packs floating around in the workshop. I nabbed the SC3000 and SC4 ones to start. I forgot how shockingly good those soundtracks were. C:S, though it's great, has some pretty sterile music.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Seeing huge performance games after the patch. :thumbsup:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Does anybody know how Skylines behaves on integrated graphics? My girlfriend just bought a new laptop that has pretty good specs except for that factor, and we're trying to figure out what she should bother installing from Steam.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Does anybody know how Skylines behaves on integrated graphics? My girlfriend just bought a new laptop that has pretty good specs except for that factor, and we're trying to figure out what she should bother installing from Steam.

I'm playing this on a Macbook Air (Intel HD Graphics 5000), and it's fine, really. I have yet to get a truly huge city, so the laptop might very well run into trouble there, but it's generally fine. Unlike some other games, however, the fans on mine run somewhat fiercely, since Skylines seems to be really good at using a lot of CPU (alongside graphics). You should be alright.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

deadly_pudding posted:

If they're really modern you'll probably be OK below like 20K residents. You won't be able to build a big city on even a modern laptop unless it's bleeding edge.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Eric the Mauve posted:

If they're really modern you'll probably be OK below like 20K residents. You won't be able to build a big city on even a modern laptop unless it's bleeding edge.

It's got 8GB of RAM and a 5th-gen i5 CPU. That puts it about the same as my desktop PC, except my desktop has a GTX 970 and she has whatever came on her motherboard :v:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Got a mid range laptop, i5, 12gb ram (8 added) and intel HD5500.

I run it on lowest so it's really smooth. And it is smooth at that, i can up some graphics here and there with some slightly lowered fps. I haven't made a large city on it though.
Are you figuring whether to buy it or just download it? There's no real harm in just downloading it via your copy. Or use steam family sharing to test it out before purchasing a specific copy for the laptop.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 3, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fishbus posted:

Got a mid range laptop, i5, 12gb ram (8 added) and intel HD5500.

I run it on lowest so it's really smooth. And it is smooth at that, i can up some graphics here and there with some slightly lowered fps. I haven't made a large city on it though.
Are you figuring whether to buy it or just download it? There's no real harm in just downloading it via your copy. Or use steam family sharing to test it out before purchasing a specific copy for the laptop.

Yeah, we'd be family-sharing it. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth taking the time to throw it on there, and it sounds like it probably is.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, we'd be family-sharing it. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth taking the time to throw it on there, and it sounds like it probably is.

I'd say just go for it, and see what you need to tweak graphics-wise. The game isn't that huge as a download, either.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I took the plunge last night and bought the game, after watching it for almost a year. I was hesitant after my experience with SC a few years back and got caught up in other games, but I ended up taking the plunge.

Played around last night just learning the mechanics and I'm very impressed. I can see where some of them can be frustrating, but it's kind of fun to see those early mistakes turn into a giant mess or something you can salvage and turn into something pretty cool.

So what mods are considered to be the "Must Haves" as of right now? I know that there are some issues with patches breaking things, but from what I can gather Rush Hour is pretty good but I'm lost beyond that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Furious Mittens posted:

I took the plunge last night and bought the game, after watching it for almost a year. I was hesitant after my experience with SC a few years back and got caught up in other games, but I ended up taking the plunge.

Played around last night just learning the mechanics and I'm very impressed. I can see where some of them can be frustrating, but it's kind of fun to see those early mistakes turn into a giant mess or something you can salvage and turn into something pretty cool.

So what mods are considered to be the "Must Haves" as of right now? I know that there are some issues with patches breaking things, but from what I can gather Rush Hour is pretty good but I'm lost beyond that.

A lot of the "classic" mods are still pretty useful. AFAIK the only ones that have really been built into the game were the extended road upgrade tool and the Extended Public Transport UI. Check "most subscribed" on the workshop. Some of the important ones are:
All 25 areas purchasable
Tree Brush
Traffic Report Tool 2.0
Mod Achievement Enabler

There are several popular mods that allow you to change and/or manage traffic behavior, but I haven't messed with those so I can't really recommend anything.

The rest pretty much cosmetic stuff. First-person camera, dynamic resolution, various buildings. Building Themes Per District gives you more control over stuff like if you want Euro-style buildings in just neighborhood. You can group buildings from your assets into custom themes for this, too, if you want to make like a nightmarish soviet bloc city. I like No More Purple Pollution, which turns your polluted ground brown, instead.

Some people swear by Realistic Population and Consumption Mod, which makes the number of cims a given building holds/employs based on the building's physical size.

There are also a lot of special super-high capacity utility buildings, which you'll probably end up needing if you take full advantage of the All 25 Areas mod.

There's a lot of pretty awesome re-skins and variants of utility buildings, as well. There's a rural police station that I use quite often, especially in the early game; it contributes to a small town aesthetic, and it's quite inexpensive- this is balanced by the fact that it has a fairly small coverage area and only a couple of police cars. There's also a smaller compact fire station modeled after the Ghostbusters HQ, that I like to use especially in industrial districts because of its tiny footprint.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Furious Mittens posted:

Fish Fry Andy's post a few pages back is a really good summary, pretty much all the must-haves I'd recommend are on the list. I couldn't tell you which ones are currently broken or not with this latest patch though.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

The interchangeitis is spreading. This one turned out huge, but I like it.

Despite (or due to) the size, it's actually quite flat, even the trees around are taller.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I should have said in my conclusion that yes I would and did play the game on the laptop and would again on my next travels. :)

On the subject of Mods, I've made all my useful utilities buildings into one single subscribe area for future use:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631944815

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Really enjoying this new railway metro stuff on the workshop that allows you to have elevated/regular/underground rail stations, but man does it ever result in a maze of tunnels and tracks and bridges and poo poo.

Also that little mod that lets you name roads is really growing on me.

There's something cool about being able to name your major streets and when you're sharing screenshots it makes problems much easier to describe. It's not shown because I fixed it with a timed light, but Statue Rd was a mess of left-turners.