Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is it my imagination or is this strip's aesthetic aping Cul de Sac?

Maybe a little bit. The teacher's face does look very Thompsonian.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

This art is really freaking me out and I'm looking forward to the next story where presumably Mark goes on a killing spree with Rusty and Sassy the Retard Dog.

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

This muscular homeless person* sure has a lot of political opinions, and so does the impartial** superhero who just happens to be friends with the king.

* The pose in the middle panel reminds me of the Doom comic.
** "impartial is maintaining the status quo," Old Jungle Saying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Please rename me to Adolf Bonecrusher
_________/

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Oh god the anime eyes :stonk:

Why is everything about these new character's designs just so awful?

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Nm

painynumbs fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 2, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Kumaton posted:

I believe the current thread theory is that Jam Esallen can't actually draw people. It's also not helping that he's making no effort to make new cast members resemble the "classic" Mark Trail copy and paste-friendly style, so you're pretty much forced to dwell on the bad designs even more.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's got the very loose line-style and colouring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think John Glynn missed the memo that Scott Adams wanted him to use NEW characters in his Dilbert fill-ins.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts dabbles in passive resistance. (March 5, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire gives us GINGER FURY. :allears:

Out Our Way (November 12-13, 1928)

Thimble Theater (September 19, 1929)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Kumaton posted:

Deanna Troi sure looks concerned.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes supports another branch of their industry.

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows what lurks in darkness.

Working Daze murders its way to the top.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix memes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tove Jansson will be inducted into the Eisner Hall of Fame at this year's Comic-Con.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is it my imagination or is this strip's aesthetic aping Cul de Sac?

It's certainly inspired by Cul de Sac, even heavily so, but I think "aping" is a bit strong. It's got a much more solid, detailed look to it than Cul-de-Sac's loose, sketchy style. Personally, I quite like Wallace the Brave's art, it's probably one of my favorites (behind CdS and Calvin and Hobbes).

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 7, 1951)

Barnaby (July 15, 1942)

Nancy (March 24, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (December 5, 1928)

Gasoline Alley (January 3, 1923)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

I want to believe that Mr. Gray is pulling all the stings here. He decided Luann was distracting Quill and called in a favor to get him a spring break job that would lead to them breaking up. Meanwhile, Prudence begged him for a job, which he said he would, but she would owe him a favor. It's all coming together for Mr. Gray.

It looks like there are a lot of different shades to this Mr Gray character

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Wanamingo posted:

There's not too many, though. I'd say more than one, but not more than 100, ballpark figure?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Simian_Prime posted:

There's not too many, though. I'd say more than one, but not more than 100, ballpark figure?

About four dozen seems right to me.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Wow, Luann.

Both of the recently introduced characters are Les.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iRend posted:

Wow, Luann.

Both of the recently introduced characters are Les.

I really hope there aren't any Moore.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

I love Calvin's last line in this and Im glad Watterson hated superhero comics

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FunkyAl posted:

I love Calvin's last line in this and Im glad Watterson hated superhero comics

Of course, at the time this was written the speculator craze was pushing comics companies to produce dumber and dumber gimmicks, while making superstars out of artists who couldn't carry Watterson's jockstrap. So the mockery is completely justified.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Wanamingo posted:

Be quiet! Gunthie will hear us!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WindyMan posted:

I really hope there aren't any Moore.

I dunno, a crossover could have benefits, like one of the main cast members of Luann dying of cancer.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

SomeMathGuy posted:

I dunno, a crossover could have benefits, like one of the main cast members of Luann dying of cancer.

Why stop at just one?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Feiffer (click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caryl_Chessman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Act

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

It really seems that Luann and Quill just didn't like each other all that much.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes supports another branch of their industry.

This is so insanely on point.

Also there is a sunday strip he did which so completely nails early nineties comics it isn't funny.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 1-2, 1929)

Peanuts: Year Four (May 20-23, 1954)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Just buy another horse or a few more cargo containers on Rocky's card. Problem solved.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

9 Chickweed Lane

Brooke's readers have the same anger against 20/20 vision after reading his comics.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

LordPants posted:

This is so insanely on point.

Also there is a sunday strip he did which so completely nails early nineties comics it isn't funny.
Nineties superhero comics, to be more specific. I have to wonder what Watterson thought of underground/independent comickers of the time like Roberta Gregory, Jeff Smith, and the Hernandez brothers, or if they were even on his radar.

Also, godspeed to Quill on getting out of Luann's comic strip.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Who the gently caress are these people? Why should we care? It just don't add up.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Howard Beale posted:

Who the gently caress are these people? Why should we care? It just don't add up.
I am not sure, but is it that veterinarian and the big farmboy/Seth-clone or whatever she hooked up with? That's what I thought of. I don't think they've made an appearance since that story arc. I also hate that I remember it.

F Minus

Just look at that pouty bird. :allears:

Mary Worth

"Like maybe a certain bearded hack of a retired actor?"

Rex Morgan MD

James Burke is an awful neighbor.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

lol, cursive

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
scrubs who can't read cursive!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I finally caught up to this thread after tracing my steps through the last one - what happened to the girl, Rosa I think, that Gunther was dating? I started reading again when Tiffany was trying to interrupt him from asking out Bernice, like she had a thing for him or something, which is laughable. And now come to think of it the strip got so caught up with the Prudence poo poo, what happened with Gunther and Bernice? Did he ever do it?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cobweb Heart posted:

I finally caught up to this thread after tracing my steps through the last one - what happened to the girl, Rosa I think, that Gunther was dating? I started reading again when Tiffany was trying to interrupt him from asking out Bernice, like she had a thing for him or something, which is laughable. And now come to think of it the strip got so caught up with the Prudence poo poo, what happened with Gunther and Bernice? Did he ever do it?

Rosa gave up going to Yale to go gather sticks in South America, because the best way for her to help those in need, as a person in her position and with the resources available to her, is to go be another mouth to feed for the people she's trying to help and perform manual labor pretty much anyone there could do themselves. Gunther had gone with her but decided he didn't like it there and left, growing that stupid stubble in the meantime and meticulously maintaining it since (because at this point it would have grown far beyond that if he hadn't been shaving) because it makes him feel like a big boy. No, Gunther and Bernice have done nothing; recent events hint that Bernice might actually be a lesbian or bisexual even, but that's a long shot/wishful thinking on our part. And yes, Tiffany suddenly fell for Gunther out of nowhere, which is terrible and dumb.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Cobweb Heart posted:

Gunther tried to ask Bernice out but she just talked about the homeless dude she wants to bang the whole time.

• Locked thread