Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

cheetah7071 posted:

What happens when there's 27 gods? Does every new god from then on have to force an old one out?

Presumably!

Obviously, the 27th god will have to be the "procedurally generated god" spoken of in myth & legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
We move on to naming them after numbers and punctuation obviously.

$oza$

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

We move on to naming them after numbers and punctuation obviously.

$oza$

We've already started; The Shining One has 1, not a letter.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Have to ask a couple of things:

1) What is Xomscumming?

2) I'm seeing people use tornado. Any tips on how best to use it, as far as Class/Skills? (Presuming Air?)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

1) What is Xomscumming?

2) I'm seeing people use tornado. Any tips on how best to use it, as far as Class/Skills? (Presuming Air?)

Xomscumming is starting as a Chaos Knight and intentionally waiting in the earlier levels of the dungeon after you've cleared them in order to get Xom to act a bunch, potentially getting you a lot of strong items/mutations early on. The downsides are that it is unreliable (Xom could just as easily get bored and banish you at any time), it can start to get dangerous (due to OOD spawns, unless you scum in a no-spawn area like Temple or a portal vault), and you usually need to be playing a species that doesn't die from starvation (mummies, vampires) to be able to scum for long enough.

I'll let somebody who knows Tornado better explain that.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Shinino Kage posted:

Class doesn't matter. Obviously AE will be well set-up to use it, but it's not like it's in the starting book; you have to find it and be past the early game anyway, so any background can do it. Note that it's pure Air, no Conjurations, which makes it literally twice as easy to cast as Fire Storm. Other than that, just use it in the open and enjoy automatically winning 99.99% of fights.

Oh, and don't drown yourself.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Shinino Kage posted:

1) What is Xomscumming?

2) It's a level 9 air spell, so you need a lot of air skill and int. That's it.

As far as actually casting it, tornado has some quirks. It starts small, expands to its full aoe, then stops. If there are walls blocking it it has a reduced effect, especially notable if you are in a 1x1 corridor. Everything caught in an active tornado gets flight, takes damage, and gets pushed around the source. The only things that ignore tornado damage are monsters immune to airstrike (wind drakes, air elementals) and tornado casters. The tornado caster effect also makes you fly and gives immunity to airstrikes. Tornados end prematurely if you teleport or blink, but you can walk around with it just fine. Once a tornado stops being active everything in it immediately loses the flight it grants, this plus the way it pushes enemies around can result in sudden fatal deep water/lava baths.

Once your tornado ends there is a slight cooldown before you can restart it.

I think that's about everything wrt tornado.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you get tossed by a giant it ends early, too, or something.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Any tips on using Pakellas? I got a HuGl^P to the Lair and have been doing pretty well so far -- though munching on a sky beast gave me 3 MP per wand charge, gonna have to get rid of that somehow. Most of his abilities seem pretty self-explanatory, and I always loved the Evoker playstyle and am glad that there's actually a god that supports that now. But what should I be keeping an eye out for to supercharge? Which rods are good nowadays? I see a lot of the classic wands have been replaced with more unique versions.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Hard to go wrong with shadows. Iron rod and clouds are good, too.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ya, get rid of that -3 MP per wand charge ASAP, that really, really sucks for Pakellas, though the MP potion gifts mitigate it somewhat.

I've only done 2-3 Pakellas runs that got past Lair. What you use supercharge on really depends on what you have, and how things are going. My personal preferences are to supercharge a Rod of Iron, Wand of Acid, or HW wand. Corroding a high armor target and then shotgunning them with a supercharged rod of iron is absurd.

Rod of Clouds is also very nice.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 3, 2016

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Pakellas seems like you get some fairly predictable power bumps from gifts (every rod has some use) and you don't have any reason to spread your skill points too thinly. He seemed pretty powerful.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PleasingFungus posted:

Presumably!

Obviously, the 27th god will have to be the "procedurally generated god" spoken of in myth & legend.

That'd be interesting. Get all the conducts in a table, pick say 2 or 3 (eliminating contradictory ones), do the same for piety rewards. Get Oka heroism at lvl 1, makhleb blasting, and maybe some Zin thrown in for good measure

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

resistentialism posted:

Pakellas seems like you get some fairly predictable power bumps from gifts (every rod has some use) and you don't have any reason to spread your skill points too thinly. He seemed pretty powerful.

In my experience Pakellas is powerful and predictable. Quick Charge easily competes with Heroism and Berserk for one of the most useful 1* piety skills. Only downside is that he's not as useful early game as you don't want to spend piety until after supercharge.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Scaramouche posted:

That'd be interesting. Get all the conducts in a table, pick say 2 or 3 (eliminating contradictory ones), do the same for piety rewards. Get Oka heroism at lvl 1, makhleb blasting, and maybe some Zin thrown in for good measure

Last I saw, the core idea of the random gods involves mostly new lists of conducts and powers, possibly with a vague theme tying them together, rather than just a list of existing god powers. (Though some of the more generic powers, like MP/HP on kills or damage-dealing blasts, would work.) IIRC, part of the idea is that since the god doesn't have to be 100% coherent flavorwise and any particular power isn't guaranteed to appear in a game, it's okay to have more unusual or powerful powers.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Brannock posted:

Any tips on using Pakellas? I got a HuGl^P to the Lair and have been doing pretty well so far -- though munching on a sky beast gave me 3 MP per wand charge, gonna have to get rid of that somehow. Most of his abilities seem pretty self-explanatory, and I always loved the Evoker playstyle and am glad that there's actually a god that supports that now. But what should I be keeping an eye out for to supercharge? Which rods are good nowadays? I see a lot of the classic wands have been replaced with more unique versions.
Super Charged Iron Rod that uses Surge is amazing for taking out anything with two or less pips of AC.

Three shot Lom Lombon back when Pak was still in trunk surging a shotgun into their face.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

silentsnack posted:

How about if they could constrict with more than one tentacle per target, like how real octopuses attack with all their tentacles at once? Coincidentally it might also make sense to let them constrict large enemies, like wrapping around a yak's neck to strangle it instead of slapping it repeatedly.

Yeah, arbitrarily applying realism to a universe with actual gods and magical elves and sapient antmans and killer klowns is as obtuse as it is gamebreaking.

Completely screwing game balance is only part of the reason why dual-wielding is on the "things we won't do, ever" list. Gonna go with the standard excuse: laziness.

Joking, especially since someone actually did code in the paired-quickblades artifact, which may or may not be entirely unrelated to my suggestion ~1(?) year prior :v:

The only 'sensible' way to do dual-wielding is to have "parrying daggers" that give a small amount of SH and the occasional weak retaliation attack when an enemy misses. But who wants to code that?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why even have that anyway? Bucklers already exist, and "bucklers, but better, more common and using a weapon skill" seems weird and bad

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I really wish someone would build a 0.17 offline tiles version for Android, because it'd be fun to play on the train.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
P - Falyah's Almanac of Dhcmrlchtdj
A book of what now?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Can Of Worms posted:

code:
P - Falyah's Almanac of Dhcmrlchtdj
A book of what now?

It's a reference to The Library of Babel by Borges: "I cannot combine some characters (dhcmrlchtdj) which the divine Library has not foreseen and which in one of its secret tongues do not contain a terrible meaning." There's a couple of them floating around.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IronicDongz posted:

Why even have that anyway? Bucklers already exist, and "bucklers, but better, more common and using a weapon skill" seems weird and bad

I suggested it as a shield ego once: bashing, does a small amount of damage back when it blocks something in melee. It would have been easy to code, too; just use minotaur counter-headbutts except it triggers on blocks instead of dodges. You could even keep it on horns damage: bucklers are like 1, shields 2, large shields 3. (Or just 3 for all sizes, which is what I'd do; it is an ego.)

Obviously it's no resistance, but I'd certainly value it over no ego shield at all, especially if Bash showed up on a nice randart.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think a lot of the time I would prefer that over a resistance, honestly.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IronicDongz posted:

I think a lot of the time I would prefer that over a resistance, honestly.

Really? I'd take rF rC over this, but I'd take this over some other things. I'd rate it like reflection; it doesn't do as much damage in one bounce, but probably bounces more often.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If I'm in depths or Zot, I'd want the resist, but otherwise(or if I already have one pip of whatever resist), I think I'd take shield flavored headbutt.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

megane posted:

It's a reference to The Library of Babel by Borges: "I cannot combine some characters (dhcmrlchtdj) which the divine Library has not foreseen and which in one of its secret tongues do not contain a terrible meaning." There's a couple of them floating around.
Another Borges reference! :argh:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
In other changes, water nymphs can flood doors and stairs now, so I have no idea how you're supposed to fight them effectively without dying.

Any tips? (Yes, I know it says they might be nerfed. I still will need some new strategies.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do you have a good ranged attack? If so, use that. If not then just stand on stairs and go up them if the fight is going poorly.

Nothing changes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Prism posted:

In other changes, water nymphs can flood doors and stairs now, so I have no idea how you're supposed to fight them effectively without dying.

Any tips? (Yes, I know it says they might be nerfed. I still will need some new strategies.)
I think I've always killed the majority of them by standing in shallow water and using melee. :shrug: Not if stairs are right there, but they're often not, and I'm lazy.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I don't think I'll ever tire of the Scroll of Immolation followed by shatter in the V5 entrance.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The most dangerous part about fighting nymphs in water is waterstrike, so uh, keep in mind you might get smacked with undodgable damage. This is slightly different from all the kinda dodgable ranged damage in shoals.

If the water attack penalty is really messing with you, use flight. It's not like those potions are going to do much else, save Cocytus and 1-3 random vaults.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Prism posted:

Snake was holding on for a while with shock serpents and naga sharpshooters, but I think this tips Shoals back into the most hated branch for me.

My strategy for beating it will involve always doing Shoals last (or maybe not at all!) and being over leveled to have more max HP to tank the hits.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 3, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Does amulet of gourmand increase nutrition amount from all sources of food, or just from raw meat? Like will a gozagite receive zero benefit to wearing it?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm pretty sure Gourmand's sole and express purpose is to make chunks more nutritious. It would be interesting (and marginally more useful, in vague theory) if it also softened the severity of herbivore/carnivore diets, though - let Spriggans choke down meat jerky, let Ghouls glumly nibble on bread.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm pretty sure Gourmand's sole and express purpose is to make chunks more nutritious. It would be interesting (and marginally more useful, in vague theory) if it also softened the severity of herbivore/carnivore diets, though - let Spriggans choke down meat jerky, let Ghouls glumly nibble on bread.
That would mean optimal spriggan behavior was to collect meat in case you need to swap to gourmand later, which you can just wear for a while when you're starting to get low on nutrition, eat all your meat permafood in one go, and then swap back. With spriggan hunger rate you can probably even just 5 through the scale up period.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Gourmaud just reducing hunger/increasing satiation from all food across the board could be nice, but also, remove hunger as a mechanic 2k16

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

kaschei posted:

That would mean optimal spriggan behavior was to collect meat in case you need to swap to gourmand later, which you can just wear for a while when you're starting to get low on nutrition, eat all your meat permafood in one go, and then swap back. With spriggan hunger rate you can probably even just 5 through the scale up period.

Once again, the Hypothetical Optimal Man spoils a perfectly good useless feature suggestion. Curses!!

IronicDongz posted:

remove hunger as a mechanic 2k16

B-but without a periodic break to eat some chunks or one of my 60 bread rations, what would keep my Shatternado-slinging megazig demonspawn from being overpowered??

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Angry Diplomat posted:

Allowing Spriggans to eat meat would make them game-breakingly overpowered.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Once again, the Hypothetical Optimal Man spoils a perfectly useless feature suggestion. Curses!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Angry Diplomat posted:

Once again, the Hypothetical Optimal Man spoils a perfectly good useless feature suggestion. Curses!!

Hypothetical Optimal Man would be a very good enemy for the April Fool's branch.

• Locked thread