Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Postal Parcel posted:

There's a book I once "read"(previewed on Amazon, so it's an Amazon book) a long while ago, about some space adventurer or whatever. While that may not be the most descriptive summary about the book, the important part is how the story was written. It's very...simplistic. The sentences are very short, lack flavor, and feel like they were written by someone without the ability to put real emotion in their lines. An example passage might be something like:
"Franklin was an astronaut. He worked in a space ship. He was station in Space Station 5..."

It's not as if it seemed the author was an ESL, but it still read really weird, which added to the humor of what seemed like it was supposed to be a serious scifi book.

You probably read a light novel, i.e. a low-quality YA book from Japan that's supposed to be illustrated. Unless they're incredibly popular like Haruhi, nobody is going to put any serious resources into translating them, so you'll end up with a jilted translation of already jilted text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

dpbjinc posted:

You probably read a light novel, i.e. a low-quality YA book from Japan that's supposed to be illustrated. Unless they're incredibly popular like Haruhi, nobody is going to put any serious resources into translating them, so you'll end up with a jilted translation of already jilted text.

Trust me, it wasn't a light novel, or Japanese. Like I said, it was an Amazon e-Book original, and the author(of which, only one was listed) had a very milquetoast-"English" name

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Postal Parcel posted:

Like I said, it was an Amazon e-Book original

Well there's your trouble!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I bought a self published book from a website that barely bothers to moderate the quality of people's mostly amateurish output, how on earth could it be bad???

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
If you work hard, own an iPhone and have no shame, you too can be an Amazon #1 best-selling author!

(my wife is working quite hard on a non-fiction book intended to be good and useful that will be going up on Amazon. this sort of thing induces despair.)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

divabot posted:

If you work hard, own an iPhone and have no shame, you too can be an Amazon #1 best-selling author!

(my wife is working quite hard on a non-fiction book intended to be good and useful that will be going up on Amazon. this sort of thing induces despair.)

It only induces despair if you don't understand how amazon rankings work. Or indeed any rankings. That article is essentially arguing that those "#1 Dad/Mom" coffee mugs are false advertising because of course your own dad or mom will top the charts, because they are the only ones on it! The guy picked an incredibly niche category and drummed up some sales from his friends. Of course he is going to dominate it. A book of mine once sold three copies on a single day in Australia and moved up into the top 50 of the genre.

I guess that makes me a bestselling author.

Ask me anything.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Are you really going to argue that it's a well-written book? And anyways it's my favorite.

Haven't read the whole thread, but is the full text actually available anywhere? Print or digital, isn't it like 15,000 pages? He's one of my favorite artists but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually read the drat thing. Even if it's awful, it's still notable for being the longest single narrative ever, right? Or am I mis-remembering that?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ArchangeI posted:

It only induces despair if you don't understand how amazon rankings work. Or indeed any rankings. That article is essentially arguing that those "#1 Dad/Mom" coffee mugs are false advertising because of course your own dad or mom will top the charts, because they are the only ones on it! The guy picked an incredibly niche category and drummed up some sales from his friends. Of course he is going to dominate it. A book of mine once sold three copies on a single day in Australia and moved up into the top 50 of the genre.

I guess that makes me a bestselling author.

Ask me anything.

what exactly keeps you from killing yourself each and every day?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Is there a thread for authors who've started publishing fanfic of their own characters? I'm thinking here of Lois McMaster Bujold, who now writes the finest AO3-grade WAFF and gets Baen to publish it. The book in question is Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, the new Vorkosigan. It's perfectly lovely AO3 WAFF! Slice of life, nothing happens (really, nothing happens) and people get laid! I suppose after thirty years you get to like these characters and tire of torturing literary value out of them. But holy poo poo.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

divabot posted:

Is there a thread for authors who've started publishing fanfic of their own characters? I'm thinking here of Lois McMaster Bujold, who now writes the finest AO3-grade WAFF and gets Baen to publish it. The book in question is Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, the new Vorkosigan. It's perfectly lovely AO3 WAFF! Slice of life, nothing happens (really, nothing happens) and people get laid! I suppose after thirty years you get to like these characters and tire of torturing literary value out of them. But holy poo poo.

I'd say respectable authors writing their own lovely fanfic is totally acceptable for this thread. Otherwise Hannibal, my favorite literary hatefuck, wouldn't be acceptable, and what fun would that be?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

divabot posted:

I don't understand most of this post

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

what exactly keeps you from killing yourself each and every day?

Spite, mostly.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't understand most of this post

For those who haven't wasted their lives on (this particular form of) online degeneracy:

AO3 = Archive Of Our Own, one of the main fanfiction sites, home to exactly the sort of subject matter and writing quality you'd expect.

WAFF = "Warm and fuzzy feeling", a genre descriptor used by fanfiction authors to refer to stories with no plot or conflict which are solely constructed to make the reader feel good, basically the same deal as those "like dis if u cry every time" forwards.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

For those who haven't wasted their lives on (this particular form of) online degeneracy:

AO3 = Archive Of Our Own, one of the main fanfiction sites, home to exactly the sort of subject matter and writing quality you'd expect.

WAFF = "Warm and fuzzy feeling", a genre descriptor used by fanfiction authors to refer to stories with no plot or conflict which are solely constructed to make the reader feel good, basically the same deal as those "like dis if u cry every time" forwards.

The Vorkosigan section of AO3 is pretty good! (note: I have no taste or literary standards.) And filled with WAFF! This book would totally fit right in there. The last two books (Cryoburn, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance) were quite thoroughly headed in this direction, this makes it concrete.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Please, go back to TV Tropes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Please, go back to TV Tropes.

2011 called, they want their goon hate target back.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
More slang and acronyms then the goddamned military up in this thread.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I remember those threads. :geno:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Reamde by Neal Stephenson is one of the few books I finished out of spite. I was on page 200, and realized I hated it, but dammit, it wasn't going to beat me! And I had also blown all of my book budget for the week on it.

Anyway, it's 1000+ pages, so that took a lot of hate to power through. It's pretty much the only book I've ever read that makes a multinational terrorist chase boring. The MMO plot was more engaging, even! And it ends with a 150 page or so gunfight in the woods, which is just straight-up one of the dullest action sequences I've ever read. Just a godawful book.

Also, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is pretty terrible. The mystery is pretty easily solved as it's being introduced, but the main character stumbles around for a few hundred pages not considering the obvious possibility (the "murder victim" is alive and the one continuing the tradition of sending flowers every year). It gets infuriating because he doesn't even consider it and explain why he doesn't consider it a possibility, he just bumbles around investigating and explaining sausage sandwiches and Mac tech specs in great detail. gently caress that book.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Reamde by Neal Stephenson is one of the few books I finished out of spite. I was on page 200, and realized I hated it, but dammit, it wasn't going to beat me! And I had also blown all of my book budget for the week on it.

Anyway, it's 1000+ pages, so that took a lot of hate to power through. It's pretty much the only book I've ever read that makes a multinational terrorist chase boring. The MMO plot was more engaging, even! And it ends with a 150 page or so gunfight in the woods, which is just straight-up one of the dullest action sequences I've ever read. Just a godawful book.

Also, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is pretty terrible. The mystery is pretty easily solved as it's being introduced, but the main character stumbles around for a few hundred pages not considering the obvious possibility (the "murder victim" is alive and the one continuing the tradition of sending flowers every year). It gets infuriating because he doesn't even consider it and explain why he doesn't consider it a possibility, he just bumbles around investigating and explaining sausage sandwiches and Mac tech specs in great detail. gently caress that book.

What else could you reasonably expect from a video game genre that has elevated tedium to an art form?

I'm really hoping MMO stands for massively-multiplayer online and not something else.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

What else could you reasonably expect from a video game genre that has elevated tedium to an art form?

I'm really hoping MMO stands for massively-multiplayer online and not something else.

Yeah, the book's plot is split between some goings in in an MMORPG, and a terrorist kidnapping plot. And the MMORPG half is somehow less lovely.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Klaus88 posted:

More slang and acronyms then the goddamned military up in this thread.

I remember those threads. :geno:

I too, am capable of recalling events that happened years ago.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Agreed; I felt like I was reading the begats section of the Bible at times. I also didn't find Lisbeth Salander to be a compelling character at all. Maybe the writing was bette rin Swedish, but it just felt really flat and unengrossing to me.

I Don't Even Own a Television just did Scruples by Judith Krantz, which was one of the most simultaneously revolting and enthralling pieces of "literature" I've ever read. Has anyone else here picked up that turdburger?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

What is wrong with completely justified contempt?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What is wrong with completely justified contempt?

Wow you sound like you just came from Ebaumsworld and voted for H. Ross Perot

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The TVTropes threads got really interestingly insane. They ended up fostering their own tiny culture that occasionally broke off into completely incomprehensible derails about how, to give one memorable example, liking turn-based combat in video games makes you racist

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Don't forget the time they doxxed a child rape victim.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think the first one started out as a sincere Tropes thread :lol:

e: Like I can understand that mock threads go insane

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Mar 3, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Royal bastard is trained as royal assassin in fantasyland, and is bedevilled by two cartoon villains. Characters are called Shrewd, Verity, Patience, and the like. Hobb wants to write about an everyman teenager who just happens to be a ruthless trained killer. How do you reconcile writing about a teenager who's mostly normal with also writing about a profession that requires ruthlessness and extreme control? You don't. So Hobb hems and haws around the actual business of assassination. The main character recounts stuff like "this noble was a abusive rear end in a top hat, I'm glad I used extra poison on him" instead of something dramatic like a scene of actually loving assassinating someone.

The worst part is that the story is still somehow compelling, so I can't just call it mediocre. It's a failure thats worse for its strengths.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Mar 3, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Don't forget the time they doxxed a child rape victim.
haha what I don't remember that. Elaborate? I'm sure I wouldn't have missed it. I actually registered here because I was really bored in lectures, mock threads were really entertaining time passers and the paywall kept going up because of a Let's Play or something, so watching that one go insane in real time was extra entertainment.

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Royal bastard is trained as royal assassin in fantasyland, and is bedevilled by two cartoon villains. Characters are called Shrewd, Verity, Patience, and the like. Hobb wants to write about an everyman teenager who just happens to be a ruthless trained killer. How do you reconcile writing about a teenager who's mostly normal with also writing about a profession that requires ruthlessness and extreme control? You don't. So Hobb hems and haws around the actual business of assassination. The main character recounts stuff like "this noble was a abusive rear end in a top hat, I'm glad I used extra poison on him" instead of something dramatic like a scene of actually loving assassinating someone.

The worst part is that the story is still actually compelling, so I can't just call it mediocre. It's a failure thats worse for its strengths.
urrrgh. I read all three of those. You forgot the homoerotic tension with every single other male character (each of whom fits a gay romance archetype to a T), the relentless, unending misery that gets heaped on and on and on, and the copout ending where the main character can’t figure out how to stop some troublesome Vikings so he wakes up a previously unmentioned army of dragons that kills them all, then he goes to live in a shed forever because he’s sad. Even as a teenager with trashy fantasy taste I knew those books were awful.

Also the one remotely assassiny scene in the series is near the start of book three where he tries to sneak into the main villain's house and kill him, fails and gets shot in the leg and spends the next 300 pages crying about how much it hurts to get shot in the leg.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

haha what I don't remember that. Elaborate? I'm sure I wouldn't have missed it. I actually registered here because I was really bored in lectures, mock threads were really entertaining time passers and the paywall kept going up because of a Let's Play or something, so watching that one go insane in real time was extra entertainment.

Some ex-tropers formed an offsite forum where they talked about their problems with TvTropes. SA came up sometimes, and a few of the ex-tropers talked about posters on the mock thread they liked or disliked.

One of the guys they disliked got so loving mad he accused two of them of being pedophiles on no evidence whatsoever and a lot of evidence to the contrary and posted their real names and faces in the thread. It came out that one of these two people had actually been raped as a child during the fallout.

Those threads got loving disgusting towards the end, and every time people talk about bringing them back, I have to assume they are just remembering the good times where they made fun of people being aroused by teletubbies and not the times when the thread had stopped being about tropers and started being about a bizarre ur-troper strawman goons had formed out of everything they disliked about themselves.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You forgot the homoerotic tension with every single other male character

This sounds like a redeeming feature though.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Jeez-o-Pete, I was just throwing out a random site where people post about fanfiction. Should I have said LiveJournal instead? (Tumblr would be a more current option, but if I can't even mention TV Tropes without being part of the Goon Hivemind...)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This sounds like a redeeming feature though.
well, it was kind of funny, but it included family members and particularly sexy horses iirc

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Some ex-tropers formed an offsite forum where they talked about their problems with TvTropes. SA came up sometimes, and a few of the ex-tropers talked about posters on the mock thread they liked or disliked.

One of the guys they disliked got so loving mad he accused two of them of being pedophiles on no evidence whatsoever and a lot of evidence to the contrary and posted their real names and faces in the thread. It came out that one of these two people had actually been raped as a child during the fallout.

Those threads got loving disgusting towards the end, and every time people talk about bringing them back, I have to assume they are just remembering the good times where they made fun of people being aroused by teletubbies and not the times when the thread had stopped being about tropers and started being about a bizarre ur-troper strawman goons had formed out of everything they disliked about themselves.

I don't remember any of this :o

Also they used to call me the arbiter of acceptability for some reason but it was p funny

On books has anyone read The Girl On the Train. It's not awful but lol its plot is generally

Protagonist : I should not do the wrong thing
Protagonist: I'll do it anyway!!!!
Everyone: wtf !
Protagonist: oh poo poo that was a bad idea
Protagonist: I can either be honest, or do even more wrong things to gently caress up even more
Protagonist: guess I'll do those wrong things!!!!
Everyone: jfc!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Protagonist: somehow doing all those solved the mystery
Everyone: you're still a loving failure
Protagonist: I'm too drunk nvm

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well, it was kind of funny, but it included family members and particularly sexy horses iirc

This is sounding better by the second.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't remember any of this :o

Also they used to call me the arbiter of acceptability for some reason but it was p funny

On books has anyone read The Girl On the Train. It's not awful but lol its plot is generally

Protagonist : I should not do the wrong thing
Protagonist: I'll do it anyway!!!!
Everyone: wtf !
Protagonist: oh poo poo that was a bad idea
Protagonist: I can either be honest, or do even more wrong things to gently caress up even more
Protagonist: guess I'll do those wrong things!!!!
Everyone: jfc!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Protagonist: somehow doing all those solved the mystery
Everyone: you're still a loving failure
Protagonist: I'm too drunk nvm

And you left, so clearly the thread was going to descend into madness, there was no one left to arbite acceptability. :colbert:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Ah, Lisbeth Salander and her Deeply Alternative bisexual hackerpunk autistic-loner lifestyle. Here's Salander, as we first meet her in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; it's hardly the worst book ever, but it certainly has its moments. No-one I've discussed this with -- including some serious Larsson enthusiasts -- has believed that the description can be as dire as this, until they read it again:

Stieg Larsson posted:

Armansky's star researcher was a pale, anorexic young woman who had hair as short as a fuse, and a pierced nose and eyebrows. She had a wasp tattoo about an inch long on her neck, a tattooed loop around the biceps of her left arm and another around her left ankle. On those occasions when she had been wearing a tank top, Armansky also saw that she had a dragon tattoo on her left shoulder blade. She was a natural redhead, but she dyed her hair raven black. She looked as though she had just emerged from a week-long orgy with a gang of hard rockers.

She did not in fact have an eating disorder, Armansky was sure of that. On the contrary, she seemed to consume every kind of junk food. She had simply been born thin, with slender bones that made her look girlish and fine-limbed with small hands, narrow wrists, and childlike breasts. She was twenty-four, but she sometimes looked fourteen.

She had a wide mouth, a small nose, and high cheekbones that gave her an almost Asian look. Her movements were quick and spidery, and when she was working at the computer her fingers flew over the keys. Her extreme slenderness would have made a career in modelling impossible, but with the right make-up her face could have put her on any billboard in the world. Sometimes she wore black lipstick, and in spite of the tattoos and the pierced nose and eyebrows she was... well... attractive. It was inexplicable.

Utterly inexplicable :rolleyes:

At some stage after writing the first book, Larsson must have re-read his early descriptions of Salander, and thought about them a bit more, because by the second book, she's spent some of her hacking cash on breast implants, and had a frankly worrisome holiday fling with a 16-year-old boy (one year over the Swedish age of consent; Salander is about 24 at this stage). I suppose the point was to prove, albeit clumsily, that the appetite of this free spirit is not improbably restricted to cool lesbians and older male journalists, and that she definitely doesn't want to be thought of as physically immature. It doesn't get round the problem that someone who weighs 40kg/88lb is a deadly combatant who repeatedly beats and maims men who are literally twice her size (granted, she's usually armed with something, but I can't recall it ever being anything as odds-levelling as a gun). But most readers seem to love this aspect of Lisbeth, so I'll let it slide.

What I couldn't let slide was that the start of the second book, Salander has become obsessed with a famously elusive mathematical problem; it's no spoiler to reveal that inevitably, it's Fermat's Last Theorem. But spoilers ahead.

And amazingly but inevitably, Lisbeth does indeed manage to come up with the missing proof – not the Andrew Wiles one, but the one that supposedly wouldn't quite fit in the margin.

Upon which, she's almost immediately shot in the head. She survives, but can't remember this sweetest of all proofs, one that had the power to not only make her internationally famous (which is probably pointless to her) but to propel her to a university where she can study all the maths she wants with minds of her own calibre (a possibility she simply must have considered at some stage). Although not particularly taken with Salander, I did feel for her at this point. What a devastating blow; how will she cope?

Answer: Fermat's Last Theorem is never referred to again.

I'm convinced the only reason all this stayed in the books is because of the difficulty of getting someone to revise their work from beyond the grave.

Carnival of Shrews has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Mar 3, 2016

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

The worst part is that the story is still actually compelling, so I can't just call it mediocre. It's a failure thats worse for its strengths.

As I was reading this I found myself wondering which came first -- this book, or Pyramids by Terry Pratchett, where the main running gag is a royal assassin who likes everything about his profession, apart from the bit about killing people.

(Looking on Wikipedia, Pyramids was published in 1989, AA in 1995. I really thought it would be the other way around.)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Don't know if it's been mentioned and I don't care. This book deserves to be dumped on 24/7.

Out of the Dark by David Weber

It starts out as a fairly basic alien invasion book. Then near the very end it's revealed that one of the characters is actually DRACULA. He's been secretly turning into mist and loving up Aliens bases for half the book. Then a bunch of vampires cling to the outside of the Alien ships (because they don't need to breath) and take them over once they're in outer space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

7c Nickel posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned and I don't care. This book deserves to be dumped on 24/7.

Out of the Dark by David Weber

It starts out as a fairly basic alien invasion book. Then near the very end it's revealed that one of the characters is actually DRACULA. He's been secretly turning into mist and loving up Aliens bases for half the book. Then a bunch of vampires cling to the outside of the Alien ships (because they don't need to breath) and take them over once they're in outer space.

I think you accidentally posted this before you got to the part of the book that's terrible, because everything you've said makes it sound awesome.