Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

That graphic makes me realize how badly I wasted the $70 Custom Heritage 912 sale that Grack (pbuh) found. I really, really wished I had gotten a WA or another specialty nib instead of a F. God, I'm so boring.

Oh well, time to hit up Ratuken or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-traveling pen case? I just need a good way to store them so they don't get lost or anything like that. I was looking at this but I'm wondering if I can get something that looks nice for a little less.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I just bought this a few days ago. A lot of the collector nerds love these giant wallet things.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I made a couple of those portfolio cases from a pair of cheap tablet cases with soft inner linings and a roll of velcro tape. Cost me less than $10 all in.

Also, my 912 has become my defacto work pen. The nib is incredibly reliable and the softness makes it easy to write at weird angles. It's also a pen I don't mind co-workers trying because the nib is pretty resistant to damage from being pressed down too hard.

grack fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 22, 2016

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Man, both of my super discounted nice pilots came with some unfortunate issues.

The VP is so dry it's unusable (even with pr tanzanite) due to a combination of baby's bottom and tone spacing. And the 912 came super misaligned.

Still, even after nib meister fees, these two pens will be a great deal.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

Anyways, in funnier news Hero/Wing Sung got around to copying the Pilot 78G - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Fresh-...AAAAOSw5IJWgU~0
Hey, thanks for this. I'd had a Kaigelu 317 sitting in my cart forever on eBay, but wanted something to go along with it, so I ordered one of these in teal to go with it. The package arrived today.

The Wing Sun 659 is an impressively smooth writer, straight out of the box. For $9, complete with a spare nib, I think I might have to get one or two more...

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I'm having a hard time thinking of any European brands that make really great products. They're often expensive to be sure but hardly notable for anything other than the logo. Most of the big luxury brands like Montblanc, Gucci, and Vuitton produce such shoddy goods its almost impossible to see how they made their name in the first place. Even Leica and BMW, which used to be bywords for quality have gotten in the habit of putting out lazily made or just plain unremarkable cars/cameras for exorbitant prices. As far as pens go Lamy is the only one I can think of that is on the same level as the stuff made in Japan in terms of price, durability, and design.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 23, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Nokia?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of any European brands that make really great products. As far as pens go Lamy is the only one I can think of that is on the same level as the stuff made in Japan in terms of price, durability, and design.

Pelikan? If nothing else their piston fillers are impeccable.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Been staring down this list of Iroshizuku ink colors or a while now and still can't decide which to get. Can't decide whether to go with my usual dark blue or try something a little more fun like purple or pine green. The writing samples with all of them look really good so its hard to eliminate any for not looking good on paper.

Now I'm considering getting a bottle of Heart of Darkness with the free pen. I can fill my Metro with the HoD and put a weird Iro color in the freebie pen.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 23, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Get the purple, live a little.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Pelikan? If nothing else their piston fillers are impeccable.

I agree in general, though my M600 showed up looking like the nib was installed by a drunk, and not a high-functioning one at that.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Never not Yama-budo.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Remora posted:

Never not Yama-budo.

I've been putting down pages and pages of YB lately and yeah.

Never not Yama-budo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Been staring down this list of Iroshizuku ink colors or a while now and still can't decide which to get. Can't decide whether to go with my usual dark blue or try something a little more fun like purple or pine green. The writing samples with all of them look really good so its hard to eliminate any for not looking good on paper.

Now I'm considering getting a bottle of Heart of Darkness with the free pen. I can fill my Metro with the HoD and put a weird Iro color in the freebie pen.

I have the kon-peki and I adore it. It's a really nice mid-blue. It feathers a bit more than I would like in my campus notebooks, but other than that it's great.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Ku-Jaku is a nice tone. I haven't used it but from what I've seen it's very similar to Sailor Yamadori but a tiny bit greener. I've been loving Yamadori recently and it works quite well on bad paper.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Picking a color was made easier by finding a set of three 15ml bottles of Iro for 20 dollars shipped. Yama budo, Shin kai, and Asa gao. Good timing too. My last cartridge just ran out.

I gotta say, Pilot has their bottle making game on lock. The Iro and Namiki lines both have the snazziest designs I've seen.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Edelstein reigns King of Bottles and I will entertain no other opinions on this topic. :colbert:

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

grack posted:

The only archival quality fountain pen inks on the market without serious caveats attached (besides Noodler's) are Rorher and Klingner Documentis inks and they're pretty expensive.

Otherwise, all the other waterproof/permanent inks on the market are way, way WAY more problematic than whatever difficulties you imagine Noodler's Bulletproof inks will cause. Both iron gall and pigment inks are very dry flowing and can be an absolute pain in the rear end to clean. Parker's current inks are awful and should be avoided unless you're desperate, and a lot of their "permanent" inks have some shellac in them which will absolutely destroy your pens.

Problems with De Atramentis Document or Archival inks? Haven't heard of any.

And I place serious caveats on Noodler's Black, which is something I call highly water resistant, but not water proof. For check signing purposes, maybe, but for art purposes (as in a watercolor wash on top of it without some of the black lifting) no.

Kataphract fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 25, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Remora posted:

Edelstein reigns King of Bottles and I will entertain no other opinions on this topic. :colbert:

:20bux:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

RIP cool Bungbox bottles :(

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Iroshizoku and Lamy have the best bottles.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This thing: http://www.goldspot.com/products/rohrer-klingner-erka-rapid-ink-reservoir

...is motherfucking awesome. You know how some bottles of ink have little built in resevoirs like Lamy and Sailor? Well Rohrer and Klingner are selling a re-usable reservoir that you can add to bottles. They're made for R&K bottles but they also fit Waterman, Pelikan (1 + 2 oz) and Noodler's 3oz glass bottles as well. Probably more but I don't have any more full size bottles on hand.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

grack posted:

This thing: http://www.goldspot.com/products/rohrer-klingner-erka-rapid-ink-reservoir

...is motherfucking awesome. You know how some bottles of ink have little built in resevoirs like Lamy and Sailor? Well Rohrer and Klingner are selling a re-usable reservoir that you can add to bottles. They're made for R&K bottles but they also fit Waterman, Pelikan (1 + 2 oz) and Noodler's 3oz glass bottles as well. Probably more but I don't have any more full size bottles on hand.

Oh that's awesome! I actually emailed goulet suggesting something similar once.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ahhh somebody stop me from looking at pens on ebay

I'd been doing really well but I decided to look at vintage Pilot Elites because I kinda have been wanting one with a 18k nib -- already have a steel nib one and a new 95s so I already know I really like that style of pen -- but I was just going to watch them for a while and check prices and I did manage to hold myself back for like 2 weeks but finally caved and put a bid on one tonight.

Oh well if I end up winning at least it's in working order unlike my last ebay impulse buy that I still haven't sent off to be fixed. Also it'll end when I'm asleep so I can't zip in at the last minute to raise my bid :downs:
e: outbid

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 27, 2016

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Never not order broken vintage pens on ebay.

I really need a few dozen more pens with Triumph nibs, I think.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am about finished toying with some Diamine Salamander Green because that was the closest I could get for a sample of Noodler's Burma Road Brown as possible some weeks ago. I don't really like it. It's a really dark green that comes off as a really cheap black ink. It writes really well, so it's just some misfortune in the ink's color.

Does anybody other than Noodler's have cyan-magenta-yellow kits? I think I do get flow issues with Noodler's after all, but they were the only ones I saw that had raw colors for coming up with whatever you wanted.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Platinum's mix-free line would be right up your alley.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

pienipple posted:

Platinum's mix-free line would be right up your alley.

Almost. I think I saw that before. I was hoping for something pretty close to CMY so I could theoretically calibrate my monitor and hash out the proportions before doing the mixing. Is that unrealistic?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am about finished toying with some Diamine Salamander Green because that was the closest I could get for a sample of Noodler's Burma Road Brown as possible some weeks ago. I don't really like it. It's a really dark green that comes off as a really cheap black ink. It writes really well, so it's just some misfortune in the ink's color.

Um, Salamander Green is a muted green-black ink, Burma Road Brown is a very plain and boring brown ink. How was Salamander Green the closest you could get to a sample of Burma Road Brown?

If you're looking for a good brown ink then you can't beat Iroshizuku Yama-Guri. It's a fantastic deep brown with excellent shading, especially with an italic or stub nib. Iroshizuku Tsukushi is a lighter brown without the depth of shading that Yama-Guri has. Both behave perfectly, like all Iroshizuku inks.

If you want a good green-black that leans more towards the green then maybe try Noodler's Air Corp Blue-Black. Despite the name it's actually a green-black that has very deep and rich green shading.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Almost. I think I saw that before. I was hoping for something pretty close to CMY so I could theoretically calibrate my monitor and hash out the proportions before doing the mixing. Is that unrealistic?

Yeah I don't think that would work very well. Mixing small samples and writing down the proportions is going to be way easier.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

kim jong-illin posted:

Um, Salamander Green is a muted green-black ink, Burma Road Brown is a very plain and boring brown ink. How was Salamander Green the closest you could get to a sample of Burma Road Brown?
Burma Road looked kind of brown-olive, which I liked. I think I have one or two browns to try still, but I don't think they'll quite take me there. They decided to counterweight it with a green to see if I lean that way.

Maybe I should just blend the green with the lighter brown of the two and call it a day.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Sorry, completely unrealistic. Inks almost always have multiple dyes to produce a single colour, and unless you're mixing really similar colours the results are going to be all over the place.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Just buy a calibrator.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Inks don't work that way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought an Ohto Tasche without realizing that no converter would fit in it :( I saw it would take an international short cartridge and just assumed a standard converter would fit.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

"short" cartridge is the key word there. I think Monteverde makes a tiny standard converter that you *may* have luck with.

\/\/\/edit: Well gently caress

Remora fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 4, 2016

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Remora posted:

"short" cartridge is the key word there. I think Monteverde makes a tiny standard converter that you *may* have luck with.

Nope! I ordered the Monteverde converter with it and it doesn't fit. The chamber is really, really small.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I'm having really bad luck buying ink on Amazon. The pen that came with a bottle of noodlers(which shipped late) was cracked. I had two day shipping on some Iro inks and it's been over a week and they have yet to even leave the warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just refill the cartridges with a syringe like everyone else.