Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You gotta have pics of the Batman Larp. You gotta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately nah, but I don't think they'd really be useful. To be clear, each player was wearing one actual costume the whole time, and then just swapped in cards on a name badge to represent who they were disguised as. Now, if someone had recorded like a couple minutes of video of it on their phone, that would've been dope.

I did manage to find a somewhat out-of-date website for the game, so folks who want to Batman it up can maybe use that.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That's probably one of the best LARP stories in the thread; unfortunately it does seem really easy for those to turn into horrible flaming trainwrecks, so hearing about something lighthearted and silly that actually worked is always nice.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Was there a whole range of effort in the costumes, from movie wardrobe quality to a grey shirt with BATMAN written on it in pen?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh for sure. Which like, I'm totally fine with it, since the way that convention is structured is that super serious games tend to go on Friday or Saturday, and then Sunday is there for shorter, more lighthearted games with less setup. Which is extra convenient because it means you're not stressing about a million things while also trying to check out of the hotel and get on the road back to New York. So like, if someone wanted to wear their Batman sharpie shirt, this was the exact right time for it.

I just wore some reasonable business attire because I'd put all my costuming energy toward the cyberpunk thing on Friday, where I was playing a faux-visionary megacorp douchebag and I was instructed to go as over the top as I could. So I wore a purple silk scarf, some leather leggings, this top, and these shoes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I love that top.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Feng Shui Part 1.
More!
We had a group changeup, so returning is the Scrappy Kid (Christina Eagles) and the Masked Avenger (Jade Scion). Last time, they got clued into the magical, cosmic battle for history.

The session started with Christina meeting her latest contact, Maverick Cop (Max Graves) at a park. He asked where his informant was and she asked what she always asks new group members:
"Do you know about the Chi War?"

Before she could explain (evil monkeys from the future, computer spirits, etc), a gang of abductors showed up. They wanted to kidnap Christina for her cultist parents.

Jade, Christina and Max made short work of their 24 opponents. Jade had the worst time of it, getting hatcheted up by thugs before blowing their brains out with his auto pistols. Christina ran for the playground, managing to evade 11 goons simultaneously. She was stopped by Johnny Chao, who launched her onto the concrete.

As she stood up, face dripping blood, she stepped over to him and in two motions, tripped him to the ground and launched an axe kick to his trachea. Four triads fled at the sight.

Meanwhile, Max Graves was keeping away from Little Lester, a hulking brute who he eventually launched into a nearby pond. Christina threw in Max's tazer. Max lined up the finishing shot and asked Lester not to be coy.

What followed the fight was amazing. The pistol-touting, mouthy loose cannon maverick met up with the pistol-touting, mouthy, loose cannon vigilante. They each grabbed a crook and played bad cop/bad cop.

The trio knew they had to visit the Rising Lotus temple, but argued about when. Jade Scion preferred a stealthy approach. Max Graves wanted fast action: "They've made me miss lunch. They won't like me when I'm hangry."

They snuck in (Jade cutting the fusebox, Christina climbing the walls...Max shrugging, then Christina diverting the guards.)

Inside, in the basement, was a collection of Kung Fu Masters. Some used magic. Some had swords. One missed repeatedly (and was roundedly taunted).
Most interesting, however, were the 20 spearmen. They emerged from a portal to the netherworld and were shot up by Jade Scion. Then more would come out, and Christina would knock them back in. One of them got slammed sideways while crossing the dimensional barrier, splitting in half horizontally.

Officer Graves ricocheted a bullet off a gong, advising a throat-shot goon that "guarding your neck is sound advice."

Unfortunately, the group wasn't prepared for the final boss: Christina's demonically empowered mother! Christina tried fleeing into the portal (bad news: her demonically empowered dad leading an ARMY of Spearmen!). She fled AGAIN, dragging a bloody, electrocuted Jade and utterly confounded Max with them.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 18, 2023

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Cuchulain posted:

To be Continued in: The Fortress Molly
I LIED

gently caress DRUIDS

Few things to note before this story, the party had leveled quite a few times at this point. They spent almost all their gold on fancy toys or augmentations. Illrisar had a few new spells and gear for Morladim(who still has his Scythe at this point), as well as permanent Deathwatch. Xenos had several new spells, some Metamagic Rings and Rods, perma Arcane Sight and a shitload of coke. The Fighter had a breath weapon from his draconic heritage, and was going for a full flame theme. Flame Burst Falchion, Flaming Aura cloak, ect. The Pirate had a summon-able cannon, and a gun that cast Lightning Bolt when fired. The Half-Ogre had pumped his strength up ridiculously, and had bonuses to throwing and improvised weapons, he hardly ever even drew his fullblade at this point. The Craven Rogue had no weapons, but he had AC as high as three other members of the party put together, DR, and skill boosts out the wazoo; a Ring that let him communicate with animals, speak and understand any language, and cast Sending. Oh, and a pair of goggles that let him Terrify a Shaken creature. The Ninja was working with a pair of kitchen knives: One Vorpal, One that carved CON with each hit.

Prestige classes, homebrew spells, splatbook feats, we had officially reached the point in 3.5 where things get very silly.

It's happening, the supplies are loaded, the caravan is set. The location has been "cleared". The Dwarven council bribed. The Paperwork is all in place. Everything for the first Kitsune Fried Chicken franchise is ready to roll. The Shadowsworn know that those pesky Druids are going to try to sack such a large shipment of supplies, whatever they might be, so they guard it themselves. Three carriages.

Armed to the teeth, a handful of cultists to keep watch for them. Fighter takes point. The Purple Pirate stands atop the first carriage, shouting nautical directions at no-one and playing a lute. Illrisar waits in the back, playing cards with his Necrolyte/Line cook and the Half Ogre Barb, Morladim sealed next to them in his new metal, explosive coffin. In the second, Xenos and the Blue are getting high as balls with a stripper/chicken summoner, the Blue taking this chance to pour some Arcane Blow into THE BOX. The Craven Rogue sits with the Ninja Chef in the last, anxious for a fight for different reasons.

:derp: I hope they don't come right after you while I'm here, Druids can shapeshift. Every beetle crawling off Illrisar could turn into a Bear without notice.
:ninja: I hope they bring something rare like a unicorn if they do. My personal menu could use some new flavor.
:derp: :wtc:

The rest of the party remained at Castle Dave (because they weren't there that night). No healers. They ride through the night, waiting for an ambush.

It finally comes in the form of a cliff ahead of them. A cliff that didn't used to be there. A giant section of the ground simply gone, the road with it. The Shadowsworn look around for the Druids, only at the last moment feeling the tremor. The back cart, containing the Rogue and the Ninja, is reduced to splinters as a trio of Bullettes erupt out of the earth beneath it. The Rogue escapes, scrambling under the middle cart and making GBS threads himself. He immediately begins donning a new pair of pants over the last. He's beginning to resemble a half-opened matryoshka doll. The Ninja and is nowhere to be seen, she rolls a series of saves after failing her reflex. I don't tell anyone what they mean yet.

Each Bullette has a strange, stony being riding them. One stays in place, the other two diving back into the ground. The Pirate rallies the crew(party((crew)), the Fighter leaps from the carriage and is assaulted by a hail of arrows from the nearby trees. Illrisar waits patiently, the Half Ogre grabs the coffin, hoists it overhead, and jumps out.

Xenos takes a turn to grab two fistfulls of coke, rubs it on the Line Cook, and motorboats them. Gender was never established, it never will be. The Blue has passed out, in a drug fulled psychic fit, talking to THE BOX.

Five barbarians run from the cover of the trees, charging at the party and screaming. An unknown number of Rangers fire on them, and a voice rings out through the air.

"For your crimes against nature and all that is good, We, the Druids of-"
:black101: I THROW THE COFFIN AS HARD AS I CAN IN THE DIRECTION OF THE VOICE
:v: It's in the trees, you can't pinpoint exactly.
:zombie:You said these were birch trees right? The outermost ones will be young, thin.
:black101: AS. HARD. AS. I. CAN.

There's a series of rolls. I am at this point in the game convinced one of my players is an actual wizard.

The Half Ogre spins in a circle, hammer tossing the coffin forward at terrifying speed. One Barbarian narrowly sidesteps it, stopping his charge. A tree-clinging monkey-person archer is not so lucky, his bottom half torn away along with his perch. We had a system for momentum since 3.5 lacks one; the Coffin still had plenty of movement left. There's a tremendous BANG and the Druid stops talking.

Xenos emerges from his garish partywagon at this point, like a blue, horned butterfly. The world is in slow motion. He can see the auras of the Rangers, their connection to nature letting his Arcane Sight pinpoint them through the trees. He blows through more then half his spells for the day in an display hedonistic arcane fury. Quickened, Icey bolts of "lightning" explode out of him. Two of the Barbarians are left with frostbitten holes burnt through them, the frozen bodies of all but one of the remaining rangers explode into shards of ice as they fall from the trees. Rolls are failed all around. Xenos collapses, his Overdose finally hitting him down to 2 CON.

The Fighter kills the nearest Barbarian as the ground begins to rumble again. The Purple snaps her fingers, summoning her 108lbs cannon and firing at the Bullette that remained above ground. The Bullette saves, the rider doesn't. He's torn from his mount with a cannonball to the chest. The Ninja rolls a full attack unseen.

Illrisar, hearing the flurry of violence outside, hops off the cart. The lone surviving ranger takes a shot at him. He misses. The Craven Rogue slides up next to him as the second cart explodes with the reemergence of the second Bullette. Illrisar regards the Bullette strangely, the creature looks ill, it's Rider struggling to control it.

The Half Ogre, thinking quickly, runs and grabs the cannon off the first cart, the Pirate seated on top of it. Seconds later, the Third Bullette reemerges, destroying the lead cart. After a moment of consideration, the Half Ogre spins in a circle, slamming the cannon on top of the unfortunate creature's neck and bending it's body into an unpleasant U shape. The Blue, encased in a protective crystal and clutching DA BOX, pops out of the creature's mouth. The Pirate and the Bullette's rider are tossed away be the force of the swing, the stony being slugging the pirate with a clay fist and choking her. They roll to a stop, his hand around her throat, and her custom made "Sparklock" Pistol jammed into his mouth. A crack of purple lightning is the last thing that crosses his mind.

The Fighter drops the remaining Barbarians. Two still live, frozen in place by Xenos' magic. The Ninja rolls again and again. Cooking checks, Attacks, damage rolls. Nobody knows why. The Riderless Bullette, no free of the earthen creature's command attempts to do what Bullettes do: Eat. It charges the nearest Shadowsworn, the Cowardly Rogue.

:v:So there's a hole in the ground to your left, Illrisar right behind you, and about 30 feet to the treeline to your right. Which way do you move?
:zombie: FYI, if that thing hits me, I'm 100% dead.
:smug:Not like Ian's Rogue can stop it.
:derp: Of yeah? Intimidate.
:v:You want to Intimidate a charging Landshark? That-
:derp: 59. I put on the Goggles.

So one failed check and one failed save later, the first Bullette screeched to a halt, spun around, and dove underground, never to be seen again.

The last remaining Bullette lurched towards Illrisar before it's head simply slid away from it's body. Followed by it's limbs and skin, and then the meat neatly falling off the bone. It's Rider falls, terrified and confused, into the neatly separated organ pile. The Ninja shakes the blood off her knives. She's never had to clean and butcher an animal from the inside before, but she rolled exceptionally well.

The last Ranger flees at this point, the fight had only gone for two and a half rounds. Less then 18 seconds after an overwhelming ambush was launched, almost everyone involved was dead.

Almost everyone. A terrible roar came from the trees, followed by the snapping of branches. The Druid came forward, shapeshifted into a giant amalgamation of Dire Beasts. Clutching the battered iron coffin in one hand, growing ever larger. He survived the carnage that had befallen his allies while he was in the dirt.

:zombie: He's holding the coffin?
:v:It looks like he wants to hit you with it.
:ninja:I wonder how Dire WolfGorillaBear tastes.

"A sad loss of life, but they were weak. The world has been at peace for a long time, but I am ageless. None of these poor souls have ever had to face evil like you. But I have seen greater evils still, and I have outlived them all. I will crush you here, and return-"
:zombie: Bored now, MORLADIM, SHUT 'EM UP

So the coffin explodes apart, and out pops this loving skeleton jackass in the box again. Swing, Hit, Crit, Confirm. Damage damage damage, shklurk, off with his head.

:zombie: Suck it, Hippie.

To Be Continued in The Fortress Molly (for real this time)

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 3, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I’m sorry – did your party just invent the necromantic projectile delivery system?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:allears:

That whole story was absolutely delightful and you sound like a very fun DM.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I imagine the shadow triad will be off their backs for not causing enough direct and obvious horrible poo poo after that fight, holy poo poo. :magical:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Playtested Hollyworld, my new Tinseltown RPG.

Playtest 2: The characters are trying desperately to put together "Spore", a superhero vs Kaiju movie. Ellen Page is in if she can write. Nicolas Cage would love to be if he his other project isn't doing so great.
The director they got is fictional Youtube Superstar PEEEETE!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 3, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cuchulain posted:

The last remaining Bullette lurched towards Illrisar before it's head simply slid away from it's body. Followed by it's limbs and skin, and then the meat neatly falling off the bone. It's Rider falls, terrified and confused, into the neatly separated organ pile. The Ninja shakes the blood off her knives. She's never had to clean and butcher an animal from the inside before, but she rolled exceptionally well.

:allears:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zhuangzi posted:

Cook Ting laid down his knife and replied, “What I care about is the Way, which goes beyond skill. When I first began cutting up oxen, all I could see was the ox itself. After three years I no longer saw the whole ox. And now — now I go at it by spirit and don’t look with my eyes. Perception and understanding have come to a stop and spirit moves where it wants. I go along with the natural makeup, strike in the big hollows, guide the knife through the big openings, and following things as they are. So I never touch the smallest ligament or tendon, much less a main joint.

“A good cook changes his knife once a year — because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month — because he hacks. I’ve had this knife of mine for nineteen years and I’ve cut up thousands of oxen with it, and yet the blade is as good as though it had just come from the grindstone. There are spaces between the joints, and the blade of the knife has really no thickness. If you insert what has no thickness into such spaces, then there’s plenty of room — more than enough for the blade to play about it. That’s why after nineteen years the blade of my knife is still as good as when it first came from the grindstone.

“However, whenever I come to a complicated place, I size up the difficulties, tell myself to watch out and be careful, keep my eyes on what I’m doing, work very slowly, and move the knife with the greatest subtlety, until — flop! the whole thing comes apart like a clod of earth crumbling to the ground. I stand there holding the knife and look all around me, completely satisfied and reluctant to move on, and then I wipe off the knife and put it away.”

“Excellent!” said Lord Wen-hui. “Listening to the words of Cook Ting, I have learned from them how to play role-playing games with my friends.”

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Cuchulain posted:

I LIED

To Be Continued in The Fortress Molly (for real this time)

I LIED AGAIN: I keep remembering more as I ask my old players how things went, this game was a lot denser then I thought at first recall. Also, further correction, the Fighter was actually a Blackguard at this point.

CASTLE DAVE 2: DAVE GETS SWOLE

Combat's over, the lone Ranger and last Bullette having escaped, two Barbs are Frozen to the floor, and one Stone guy failing repeatedly to escape a pile of offal. Xenos is on death's door, managing to save against what would be fatal CON damage twice. I'm getting pretty smug about his condition, after warning him for weeks that his powdered angel addiction would have consequences.

:gay:Oh poo poo guys, can we get me back to the Lloth Priestess or the Ur-Priest? I have like sixteen more overdose saves to roll against.
:yarr: We're like 50 miles out from Stonecreek, you're pretty much doomed.
:zombie: Oh, right. Restoration. (I'll note he mimed whacking the prone sorcerer with his staff.)
:bandwagon:What the gently caress? You literally said you would never take a single healing spell when you multiclassed.
:zombie: Not for regular damage, but I'll fix his overdose. My closest ally is a drug addict. I'm a monster, not an idiot.

Xenos gets a shot of Narcan Arcana and bolts up. Everyone is curious about the Stone guys, so the Blackguard goes and pummels him unconscious before he can escape.

:black101: Hey the two Barbarians are alive, just frozen, right? I ask them which of them is stronger, which one is in charge? Ian, come scare them into talking
:v: The larger of the two looks down, avoiding your gaze, the smaller one painfully points a frostbitten finger at his companion.
:black101: I stare the little one down and grab the big guy by the face. I want to lift him off the ground and crush his head with one hand.
:stonk: Well go on and roll Strength then.

What do you know, Success.

:stonk: His head explodes into slushy, half frozen blood. His body shatters as it hits the ground. You stare impassively at the other Barbarian as the blood splashes across your face.
:black101: "I am the strongest. I am in charge. Do you get it? You run home, don't stop running till you find your people. You tell them.. I am the biggest. I am the strongest. I am in charge.
:stonk: He shivers uncontrollably, not from the cold. If he could move, he would be runni-
:zombie: Restoration
:stonkhat: and there he goes.

After a brief cleanup, the party looks over the destroyed caravan and the dead cultists.
:yarr: Blue should fix the carts so we can go home and get more cultists. Where is he?
:geno: In this rock, I'll get him out.
:ninja: I'll have to delay the restaurant opening.
:zombie: I'll have Morladim collect my corpses in the meantime.

Blue's awake and psychically mending the carts, the party collects the various meat they were interested in (the Barb takes the Druid Dire-WolfGorillaBear pelt for a cloak) and they roll back to Stonecreek with the Stone-guy captive. There's an issue the party has to fix now: The only road to Dwarftown now has a giant chasm cutting it in half.

Here's a map of the area as I remember it.

This is about 500 square miles. Only (intended) major locations are marked off, clockwise from the top left: the White City of Ci'quend Shorz, Goldmarket, the Frozen Archive, the Sacred Valley of the Clans, Deepwater Port, Stonecreek, Silverleaf Grove, and Kha'gol(DWARFTOWN). I had stuff planned for each location. Things, as mentioned previously, didn't go as planned.

They discuss what to do about the road for awhile. No road means trade to the west grinds to a halt, and most of their cashflow with it. They can go around the chasm to the south, entering the Druid's Forest, or to the north, entering the Barbarian Steppes. Hard to get wagons across either. So they decide gently caress it, we'll just make a road. And distribute anti-druid propaganda. Get the Dwarves, Merchants and Sailors to think the Druids have declared all out war on them.

:v: what
:zombie: We take half the Skeleton Cops and re-purpose them as Caravan Guards and Road Construction crews. They work around the clock to pave a new road around the northern side of the chasm as we travel, Roman Legion style. I'll forge some official Druidic documents declaring they're reclaiming the Wilds. The Rogue's Spy network will distribute these discreetly along with convincing local authority of the threat. The people will flock to our defense and help with the road project, and act as a human shield against further attacks. Besides, the people need our Chicken.

So the plan was set in motion. The Half Ogre received a gift of an Axe a few days later. It was from the Chieftain of the Wolf clan Barbarians. Apparently he was unhappy that someone smashed his eldest son's head with his hands and declared himself the Baddest Dude. Half-Ogre and Dragon Knight pack up to accept the invitation along with some of their fight-club flunkies. Xenos and Illrisar step up the Alchemy game, making a special surprise for the Druids. The Craven Rogue turns every government against the Druids. The people of the Shantytown outside the walls are paid in Chicken to launch suicidal attacks against the forest. The Shadowsworn spin this as the Druids killing refugees, forced from their homes by food shortages caused by the destroyed roadways.

The Priestess of Lloth is also the only one who recognizes what the Stone guy prisoner is. He's from a rare race of half-elemental beings, similar to Dwarves but able to communicate and move stone and earth at will. The chasm was created by them as a favor to the druids. She leads a few members of the party on an adventure to kidnap/wipe out the rest of the Earth-Movers so they can't destroy the next road. Most are slain, a few dozen dragged back to Stonecreek and brainwashed by the cult. They speed up work on the new road and the improvements to Dave significantly.

They work on infrastructure at this point, fortifying Stonecreek in case of direct attack from the forces of good. The Pirate's insanely gigantic ship is halfway done. The Priestess of Lloth has Blue add a nice Spidery touch to Dave during the upgrades.

The only lose end for the roadwork was attack from the Barbs to the north. As it turned out: not an issue.

The Half Ogre and the Dragon Knight fight their way across the steppes. They demand to see the Chieftain of the Wolf Clan and his strongest men. The Dragon Knight kills half the elite barbaians while the Half-Ogre fights the Chief. Eventually they are both disarmed, the Half-Ogre's fullblade broken and the Chieftain's axe torn from his hands. They grapple for a moment before the Half-Ogre's overwhelming strength wins out. He forces the Chieftain to his knees without releasing his hands, places a foot on his chest, and disarms him again, this time literally.

The remaining Barbarians lose their will to fight, seeing their Chieftain broken and screaming on the ground. The Half-Ogre grabs the Chieftain by the throat, lifting him into the air over his head. He shouts to the Clan as he grabs his helpless enemy's leg with his other hand: "I see my message was unclear before. I am the Strongest. You work for me now."

Then he tore the struggling Chieftain in half.

The Barbarians all kneel before the Half Ogre at the Dragon Knight's command. He asks them again who the Strongest is. This time they answer correctly. So he asks a different question: Which Clan is the strongest. They all stutter for a moment before he sweeps his arms towards the kneeling crowd.

"You are the Strongest Clan, for I am the Strongest. Together, we shall show the other Clans our Strength."

The Dragon Knight and the Half Ogre rode to every single Barbarian Clan in order of hierarchy. Five in-game months later, he was the Lord of the Steppe. He lead his people back to Stonecreek to learn of new spirits. The Cult had just gotten Swole as gently caress.

Edit: I forgot, Juan's Demon Bloodline Barbarian went with the other two. His contributions consisted of "kills things with an axe". He and the DK kinda blend together in my memory, because they both barely ever RP'd.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 4, 2016

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
The only thing resembling a decent story that I have is this one obnoxious guy in an old Pathfinder group I was in, and "I was so funny in this one session", which I might go into in another post. But, let's discuss this guy, who was a total edgelord, who delighted in "offending people", played garbage characters that accomplish nothing in or out of combat, and generally being a pretentious tool.

High(low)lights include:

- Playing a Nightmare/bard/whatever, (the GM let us play monster races if we ran it by him, not sure how the guy sold this one though, it was before I joined the group) who's big tricks at level 15 were flying, and Not-Obscuring Mist that does 3d6 damage, and being a loving horse. No hands.

- Misleading the entire party, while we try to figure out a weird dimensional rift, for shits and giggles, wasting nearly half an hour of real time. I might get into this one in another post, if I can remember the details.

- Scaring NPCs for no reason besides "My character is evil", yes, he played an evil character, again, not sure how he wrangled this.

- Being literally worthless in social situations, because a talking demon horse isn't going to be very good at getting info from the bartender.

- Openly discussing his sex life, despite everyone repeatedly saying that it's super loving creepy.

I lasted a few months in the group because I really wanted to play RPGs, but just couldn't handle it, already knew the rest of the group wouldn't do poo poo about it, and confrontation would only lead to this guy being pissy and refusing to change, so I left. A combination of this guy, and me realizing that I, myself, was slowly becoming cat-pissy by osmosis. I may or may not still be terrible, no guarantees.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Normally a character concept of "is a loving (intelligent) horse" isn't something you'd expect to be all bad.

Unless of course the player was deliberately playing it up to be as obnoxious and useless as possible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or is trying to live out their MLP fanfiction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

Or is trying to live out their MLP fanfiction.

I keep seeing Ponyfinder supplements in DTRPG. Is that really a thing? Like, is there a Ponyfinder Core Rulebook with the Ponyfighter, Equestricleric, Horsecerer and Broncrogues?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep seeing Ponyfinder supplements in DTRPG. Is that really a thing? Like, is there a Ponyfinder Core Rulebook with the Ponyfighter, Equestricleric, Horsecerer and Broncrogues?

Oh you sweet summer child. Of course there isn't, don't let it trouble you. Return to your peaceful dreams, for this terrible world is far too cruel for an innocence such as yours

For the rest of you, it is currently on sale! Yours now for only 17.50 for a pdf! Or the Book+Hero lab bundle for 30!

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 4, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Did a oneshot of World Wide Wrestling RPG.

In a new season of the game now. Nothing makes sense and everything's amazing.

Listen:
Louisiana's medical system had a problem. The prisons were over-full, there were too many nursing students, and no budget for new buildings.

Asylum Loco Wrestling was born. The unfortunate can learn wrestling skills under the watchful eye of The Warden and friendly staff like Gunner Austin. Many considered Austin friendly because he kept a chipper attitude, despite losing his last 50 matches.
Of course, Mexican Army Officer El Commandante and his assistant La Soldada want to take over ALW, claiming it's a former Mexican holding. And Captain Justice wants to bring Justice to the entire operation with a mixture of ultra violence and submission wrestling.

Mr. Black, speaker for Board of Trustees, explained that there was going to be a tournament. The winner would get the keys to the loony bin. And after some really lovely backstage promos (three promos were botched; the only one who didn't was the jobber, who wasn't interviewed) , someone decided jobber Gunner should win over his old tag team partner, The Warden.

Gunner had the match in hand, and the crowd was into him for once, but The Warden cheated and got the 3 count. People backstage weren't pleased.
---
The next match was El Commandante vs Captain Justice. CJ had the hardcore playbook, so he could automatically make any match a hardcore match.
A lot happened in the match: a terrible looking assault with the escrima sticks CJ kept in his cape (which turned the crowd off with its brutality.)
A Mexican Commander battering that superhero with a bandolier of bullets, ripping open the latter's forehead.
A superhero emptying his utility belt, which was filled with thumb tacks, then back body dropping onto the thumbtacks.

A Mexican commander being smuggled tequila, then setting himself on fire ("Tequila Sunrise!"). This led to the superhero catching on fire, then stop-dropping-and-rolling...into a pile of thumbtacks.

CJ finally won the match with a boston crab submission hold, having turned the audience COMPLETELY around (from 0, which is basically fired, to 4, which is "top guy in the promotion").
---

The Warden used his match making powers to put Austin Gunner against Captain Justice, running his problems into each other. Austin was cool with it, completely oblivious to his former friends' manipulation:

quote:

WARDEN: "This'll be good for you. It's what you deserve."
AUSTIN: "Thanks boss!"
The Warden agreed to be at ringside as a special commentator.

Backstage, La Soldada confessed to El Commandante that she wanted to be face (good guy wrestler), because someone had promised her a shot at the cruiser weight title. Commandante reluctantly agreed, sitting down with interviewer Leslie Knuckles and rousing the crowd with his explanation that EL COMMANDANTE! GOES DOWN! ON HIS OWN TERMS!
(This phrase was used about 5 times in the episode and a context was never established.)
He also booked himself into the night's main event, making it a three way hardcore match with Mexican Soldier enforcers...and no villain wrestlers.

Austin started in control, and started kicking rear end. The arena was on its feet. El Commandante threw Justice outside the ring, and when he tried to beat him down with the help of his enforcers...got elbowed in the face, getting injured.

Justice, seeing two other people stealing his good-guy schtick, grabbed a house mic and called out the Warden. The Warden joined the match.
He took the mic from Justice and explained to the people that he wasn't evil...he was needed. He was giving every creep and cretin what they needed, whether it was electroshock, solitary, or a good old rear end whupping! He rolled a 14 out of 2d6+bonuses, triggering a Mythic Moment.

It was like a bomb had gone off. Everyone in the arena, even the vendors and event security, started chanting rear end in a top hat, rear end in a top hat at the Warden.
Outside the ring, El Commandante got ready for his signature spot: The Eagle on a Cactus Eating a Snake. His men picked him up, threw him into the ring...
and ONTO THE WARDEN! YES, TWO MYTHIC MOVES IN A ROW!
The two began fighting, with The Warden running the hell away. El Commandante followed, leaving Austin and Captain Justice.
Despite an impressive technical display, Justice wore Austin down, planting him in the middle of the ring. He climbed to the top rope, reversed his mask, and before going for a moonsault yelled,
"JUSTICE IS BLIND!"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bet the puns in the actual Ponyfinder core book are nowhere near that good.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Currently I've taken up slack for our Wednesday night group by running Adventures on Dungeon Planet, and decided to do things a little differently. Usually Wednesday is our One Shot/Open Invitation nights, and I wanted to make sure that whoever was there that week could drop in and out at will without feeling as though they were throwing off the story. Thus began the saga of Jupiter 9: Adventures! In! Space!

It's been a blast so far, I've enjoyed running every week's grouping of random people through basically ripped-off Original Star Trek plots. We've had them hunt for DiHexium Crystals to repower their ship; fight atomic robo-scorpions under the control of the dread Doctor Morbious, THE THINKING BRAIN; and have the evil space empress fall in love with our Party Leader while swearing revenge against him.

What's best though is not only do I ask for set detail, but I'll occasionally ask what's the DVD Director commentary when things get a bit weird or silly. We've had an argument break out over union breaks & if they had their action figure's package modeled correctly.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

Normally a character concept of "is a loving (intelligent) horse" isn't something you'd expect to be all bad.

Unless of course the player was deliberately playing it up to be as obnoxious and useless as possible.

He seemed entirely unaware of how unhelpful his character is, she mostly sat around having a lovely attitude and wanting to scare the poo poo out of all the townspeople, or nickel-and-dimeing the bad guys, and having nothing to contribute during major encounters. If there was an ounce of self-awareness in this character, I wouldn't be so bothered, like you said "loving (intelligent) horse" could be played for something great, but 90% of the time, you'd forget that this character even is a horse, until he referenced hooves or something.

SpookBus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 5, 2016

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Golden Bee posted:

In a new season of the game now. Nothing makes sense and everything's amazing.

Listen:
Louisiana's medical system had a problem. The prisons were over-full, there were too many nursing students, and no budget for new buildings.

Asylum Loco Wrestling was born. The unfortunate can learn wrestling skills under the watchful eye of The Warden and friendly staff like Gunner Austin. Many considered Austin friendly because he kept a chipper attitude, despite losing his last 50 matches.
Of course, Mexican Army Officer El Commandante and his assistant La Soldada want to take over ALW, claiming it's a former Mexican holding. And Captain Justice wants to bring Justice to the entire operation with a mixture of ultra violence and submission wrestling.

Mr. Black, speaker for Board of Trustees, explained that there was going to be a tournament. The winner would get the keys to the loony bin. And after some really lovely backstage promos (three promos were botched; the only one who didn't was the jobber, who wasn't interviewed) , someone decided jobber Gunner should win over his old tag team partner, The Warden.

Gunner had the match in hand, and the crowd was into him for once, but The Warden cheated and got the 3 count. People backstage weren't pleased.
---
The next match was El Commandante vs Captain Justice. CJ had the hardcore playbook, so he could automatically make any match a hardcore match.
A lot happened in the match: a terrible looking assault with the escrima sticks CJ kept in his cape (which turned the crowd off with its brutality.)
A Mexican Commander battering that superhero with a bandolier of bullets, ripping open the latter's forehead.
A superhero emptying his utility belt, which was filled with thumb tacks, then back body dropping onto the thumbtacks.

A Mexican commander being smuggled tequila, then setting himself on fire ("Tequila Sunrise!"). This led to the superhero catching on fire, then stop-dropping-and-rolling...into a pile of thumbtacks.

CJ finally won the match with a boston crab submission hold, having turned the audience COMPLETELY around (from 0, which is basically fired, to 4, which is "top guy in the promotion").
---

The Warden used his match making powers to put Austin Gunner against Captain Justice, running his problems into each other. Austin was cool with it, completely oblivious to his former friends' manipulation:

The Warden agreed to be at ringside as a special commentator.

Backstage, La Soldada confessed to El Commandante that she wanted to be face (good guy wrestler), because someone had promised her a shot at the cruiser weight title. Commandante reluctantly agreed, sitting down with interviewer Leslie Knuckles and rousing the crowd with his explanation that EL COMMANDANTE! GOES DOWN! ON HIS OWN TERMS!
(This phrase was used about 5 times in the episode and a context was never established.)
He also booked himself into the night's main event, making it a three way hardcore match with Mexican Soldier enforcers...and no villain wrestlers.

Austin started in control, and started kicking rear end. The arena was on its feet. El Commandante threw Justice outside the ring, and when he tried to beat him down with the help of his enforcers...got elbowed in the face, getting injured.

Justice, seeing two other people stealing his good-guy schtick, grabbed a house mic and called out the Warden. The Warden joined the match.
He took the mic from Justice and explained to the people that he wasn't evil...he was needed. He was giving every creep and cretin what they needed, whether it was electroshock, solitary, or a good old rear end whupping! He rolled a 14 out of 2d6+bonuses, triggering a Mythic Moment.

It was like a bomb had gone off. Everyone in the arena, even the vendors and event security, started chanting rear end in a top hat, rear end in a top hat at the Warden.
Outside the ring, El Commandante got ready for his signature spot: The Eagle on a Cactus Eating a Snake. His men picked him up, threw him into the ring...
and ONTO THE WARDEN! YES, TWO MYTHIC MOVES IN A ROW!
The two began fighting, with The Warden running the hell away. El Commandante followed, leaving Austin and Captain Justice.
Despite an impressive technical display, Justice wore Austin down, planting him in the middle of the ring. He climbed to the top rope, reversed his mask, and before going for a moonsault yelled,
"JUSTICE IS BLIND!"

Having played one game of WWW ever that was pretty uninspired, I love the poo poo out of this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

gently caress it, "horsceror" is going to be my next character concept. That's too good a pun to let go to waste because of lovely people and their lovely show.

If it's in 4e, it can even be a dual app thing. TURBODRACULA and his trusty steed, The Horsceror.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 5, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SpookBus posted:

- Playing a Nightmare/bard/whatever, (the GM let us play monster races if we ran it by him, not sure how the guy sold this one though, it was before I joined the group) who's big tricks at level 15 were flying, and Not-Obscuring Mist that does 3d6 damage, and being a loving horse. No hands.

One of these days I'd love to play a Moondog Athiest in a Pathfinder game. Well, as close to an athiest as one can get knowing the gods exist. More like someone who goes around rallying people to the idea that there are no good gods, because what sane and loving god would allow this to exist.

Whoever told the artist to give them human hands deserves to be shot.

I know they looked dumb in 3.5 but that good kind of side of an 80s van dumb not Saruman the Furry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

One of these days I'd love to play a Moondog Athiest in a Pathfinder game. Well, as close to an athiest as one can get knowing the gods exist. More like someone who goes around rallying people to the idea that there are no good gods, because what sane and loving god would allow this to exist.

I know they looked dumb in 3.5 but that good kind of side of an 80s van dumb not Saruman the Furry.
I'm sorry, that's hilarious and amazing. Like, obviously, there's a problem if you're supposed to take it seriously, but it looks like someone just drew a really nice version of the DM pulling poo poo out of his rear end.

:rolldice: The moondog gives you a-
:v: Wait a second, what's he look like?
:rolldice: Uh, like a dog. But... really wise?
:ninja: Bet he's got a beard or something. Like, a wizard beard
:rolldice: Okay, yes, fine, he's a dog with a wizard beard and he hands you-
:v: Wait wait wait. He hands us? Does this dog with a beard have hands now?
:ninja: Holy poo poo I'm commissioning someone to draw this.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I don't know about the hands being bad, it gives a bit of Egyptian pantheon styling with the animal headed deities.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The hands just make me think that this was a dude with a hand fetish being asked to draw something "normal" and he couldn't tone down the hands for a minute.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's supposed to be a normal wolf/dog body with hands or hand-like paws. I'm guessing they went with the long hair to hide the anatomy that the artist wasn't sure about? Otherwise it'd look like those birds with arms joke pictures.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Poison Mushroom posted:

:rolldice: The moondog gives you a-
:v: Wait a second, what's he look like?
:rolldice: Uh, like a dog. But... really wise?
:ninja: Bet he's got a beard or something. Like, a wizard beard
:rolldice: Okay, yes, fine, he's a dog with a wizard beard and he hands you-
:v: Wait wait wait. He hands us? Does this dog with a beard have hands now?
:ninja: Holy poo poo I'm commissioning someone to draw this.
I'm pretty sure this was the exact conversation that led to that image.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It should have stubby little arms and really long fingers

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Not as good as the Senmurv, the monster created by drawing random words from a hat. "Let's see, I got wolf, hawk, and Lisa Frank."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Funny way to spell sparkledog

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Senmurv predates sparkledogs by a decade I think.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's a tiny bit older than that.

Looked a bit different though.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Piell posted:

Not as good as the Senmurv, the monster created by drawing random words from a hat. "Let's see, I got wolf, hawk, and Lisa Frank."

Where'd you find this pic of my fursona

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Splicer posted:

It's a tiny bit older than that.

Looked a bit different though.

I don't see any dog parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The Masks campaign ended and boy did it end.

It all started two sessions ago.

After being directly attacked by the villain they were hunting down, they interrogated her and found out she was Rex King's (Lex Luthor) clone and that Rex was planning on unleashing an army of super clones on the city. Feeling guilty, the Doomed stuck around with the clone and learned her life's story. Feeling pity, she offered to help her get a new life. Meanwhile, the Protege was researching the tech in the superweapon she stole. His mentor interrupted and demanded they give them the villain for their own interrogations. When Rex's clone (named Iconoclaust) kept using her influence to convince the Protege that his mentor brainwashed him into being a hero and didn't respect him, he accepted it. He tried to reject his mentor's influence and failed: he reluctantly agreed to give them the prisoner and got angry.

The Doomed's ritual works and Iconoclaust has a new face and name. The paragon they send to collect her doesn't recognize her and the Doomed convinces him she escaped. The Protege sees through this and called the Doomed out. The Doomed said he had no spine because she knows she called the paragons here. The protege punches the Doomed in the face and walks off.

Next session, the team is in shambles. The Nova, who was missing last session, reveals he was on a mission with a paragon of the city into the syndicate, the first supervillain society that is both the first one and recently formed. The paragon was captured and he lost control of his powers: destroying the base that had vital information. The Doomed decides to go with the Delinquent to talk to the Protege's mentor. Using Adult moves, she convinces not-Batman to stop being hard on his protege and gets him to back off.

While the Protege and the Nova debrief, the Delinquent looks into the superweapon and accidentally causes it to detonate.

Working as a team, they successfully stop the device from going off and taking out a city block: for the first time in the entire campaign, they stopped something without causing any collateral damage. A fact they quickly take note of and feel proud of.

They didn't have time to celebrate, as the Paragon's orbiting watchtower begins to go on a collision course with the city. Working as a team, every member successfully holds it off/ fights off the army of clones / gets their ally up to the watchtower / activates the emergency rocket boosters. In the process, the Delinquent is left outside the city limits and the Doomed is knocked out. The leaders of the Syndicate reveals themselves: Rex King, The Sorceress, and the Clown. Revealing they used the captured paragon's security codes to get into the watchtower, they reveal they have transformed all the paragons into farm animals and have super clones ready to kill the Doomed on command.

With no other option, the team stands down and is captured.

In the final session, the Outsider, who missed the last two sessions, reveals she was undergoing a biological update to enhance her shapeshiting powers and it would be dangerous to wake her up midoperation. The Delinquent begins all the other heroes super tech to arm himself to rescue his team. As he does, he comes across the Outsider in cryosleep and forces her awake: do to his misunderstanding of alien tech, he has made her biologically unstable.

As they bicker, argue, and yell, the protege awakens. Finding himself suspended in a pod alongside a rune sealed Doomed and the Nova being used a battery, he pushes his powers farther than ever (we houseruled it so he could use psychic powers) to completely dominate the guards so they let him out and tie themselves up. As he does this, the Doomed awakens, activates her moment of truth and teleports to Rex King asking to resolve the rest in a later scene. The protege tries to free the Nova from the device draining his powers for fuel, but accidentally trips a fail safe that blows it and severely wounds the Nova. As they discuss brass tacks, the base's alarm goes off.

Back at their homebase, the Delinquent and the Outsider get in a heated argument as the Outsider fears for her life. In the middle of their argument, their joke villain shows up. A golden age villain whose joke is he is a scifi supervillain who is behind on technology and just catching up. Like, he had tech impressive for the 50s in their first battle, but laughable in 2016. He reveals his army of robots that he designed after seeing DARPA show off their new machines. Basically, those new machines that can walk perfectly on four legs.

Entirely a non-threat, they successfully provoke him and tell him they don't have time because they need to save, literally, all the world's heroes. Shocked, the villain -- who reveals he was on vacation in the bahamas as one should enjoy their golden years -- is annoyed that this syndicate is ruinning his favorite hobby. "Those whippersnappers don't get it: heroes are supposed to win and we are supposed to lose. We understood this back in the day: the only reason we fight is to inspire people to be better. Than power hungry idiots took it over in the silver age and eh!" Correctly identifying what idiots would do this, he reveals a note he got to join the syndicate that has an address and pass code to a secret portal in Rex's headquarters.

Back in the villain's base, the Protege and the Nova fight off a legion of smaller villains until the Sorceress appears herself.

Using her psychic powers, the Outsider helps them stay invisible as they walk past the clone controlled steets of Halcyon city to Rex's HQ. As they activate the portal, the Clown appears, shuts off the portal, and sends his henchman after them. A quite fight ensues. The Clown then fills the room with poison case. Throwing acid pies from the dark, the Delinquent fails to take a powerful blow and chooses to flee by reactivating the portal and abandoning his teammate. The Outsider quickly follows while very, very annoyed.

The Protege and Nova do their best against the sorceress. They even manage to remove her foci and weaken her, but she opens a portal to space and tries to suck them out. The protege sacrifices himself to keep the Nova from flying off. The Nova returns the favor and puts the Protege and the unconscious super villains into gravity bubbles. The room is completely devoid of air as the Sorceress hides in her shield.

Rex King reveals himself and does a quick volley: the portal is destroyed in the process. The Protege and Outsider get into an argument that almost costs them their lives. Then, the Doomed shows up. Using her moment of truth, she breaks the runes. As her doom was that she'd be sucked into hell, she grabs Rex and takes him with her: saving her teammates. She once told the Outsider about her doom so she is devastated. The Delinquent doesn't get it until the Outsider explains it and the both remain quiet for a moment. In her anguish, the Outsider sends out a psionic blast that I fiat gave everyone the afraid condition as she broadcasts her despair.

Feeling the hit, the protege and Nova both know what happened, fall to sorrow, but use the knowledge their ally is there to tell them of their predicament. The Outsider, afraid to use her powers due to her instability tries to use it harder than ever before to make a form that can allow her to move/survive in space. Doing something she thought impossible, she shapeshifters into a mystical beast, a dragon, and flies through space to the Sorceress with Delinquent in tow.

As they arrive, the Sorceress throws an arcane blast at them to kill them, but the Delinquent, guilty about abandoning her before especially after seeing the Doomed sacrifice herself, defends her and takes the hit. As his power is power negation, he directly engages her and takes away her shield and portal: knocking her into the wall and on her last legs.

As her last ace in the hold, the Sorceress threatens to kill the captured and transformed heroes by cooking them alive. The Nova uses his moment of truth. Realizing that space and time are intertwined, he goes back to the moments when the heroes were transformed into animals and push them forward to this moment while collecting random animals to replace them in the past. With the paragons in their full glory, they finish off the Sorceress.

The paragons then congratulate the team. The protege's mentor admits that he was wrong for doubting him and says "it seems you were the leader this team needed. That the world needed." The other paragons who mirror/ had a past with the team all honor or apologize for past behavior in their own way. For example, the not-Flash apologizes for getting mad at the Outsider for screwing up his stakeout of Pig God.

As all seems cheery, the not-Spiderman asks where their last member is. They mention she died. There is a moment of silence and the not-Superman says they she lived well and she will be honored and remembered.

As our last scene, the Doomed is reunited with her family in heaven and begins to them the story of her team over tea.

We then did an epilogue where I asked each hero a question about what happened afterwards. The heroes finally decides on a name for their team, something they couldn't do all campaign: the Gatekeepers. The Doomed's name was Gateway. They got Rex's base as their new hideout and used it as a place to teach the super clones to use their powers for good and become heroes.

As the last question to the group, I looked to the Doomed and asked if his character was happy and he said she was.

Honestly, it was a good campaign.