Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

D_Smart posted:

I agree.

However, for something like this, believe it or not, your estimates are way off. I have lots of doctor friends and we talk about this poo poo all the time. Something like this is probably over $250K from start to finish; not including physical therapy. Regardless of the insurance type, the average out of pocket cost is usually around 40% after the yearly deductible is met. So my guess is that Mark's family is probably on the hook for around $100K. Which makes sense that he is asking for $50K in crowd-funding.

If you have a car accident and it's not worth repairing you have to write it off.

Sell the child for parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I agree.

However, for something like this, believe it or not, your estimates are way off. I have lots of doctor friends and we talk about this poo poo all the time. Something like this is probably over $250K from start to finish; not including physical therapy. Regardless of the insurance type, the average out of pocket cost is usually around 40% after the yearly deductible is met. So my guess is that Mark's family is probably on the hook for around $100K. Which makes sense that he is asking for $50K in crowd-funding.

You are correct. I haven't had my coffee yet this morning and was trying to go off memory that's five years out of date instead of starting my day by googling medical costs :D

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's to wash down the Tylenol.

sad you guys dont even get Tylenol #1's.
But at least is some places you can have weed - much healthier I bet.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

If you have a car accident and it's not worth repairing you have to write it off.

Sell the child for parts.

Now you're thinking like a libertarian!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ramc posted:

And lord knows how much physical therapy would cost. The US healthcare system is a mess.

And that physical therapy might not even be covered at all, depending on their insurer. Or, more commonly, will only be covered for partial cost and partial duration, E.G. the insurance company will pay for 60% of the cost of physical therapy, but only for 30 days even though the complete course takes 60 or 90 days.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

tooterfish posted:

Don't worry, it'll get depressingly easy to comprehend once Jeremy nickname rhymes like Hunt is finished selling the NHS to the US health insurance industry!

As an unemployable :corsair: with long term health issues, this thought genuinely terrifies me. :/

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

fuctifino posted:

As an unemployable :corsair: with long term health issues, this thought genuinely terrifies me. :/

gofundme... ughhh

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

fuctifino posted:

Sorry for giving you nightmares.

Maybe a junior doctor will give him an involuntary appendectomy before he can finish his evil work, fingers crossed!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Sorry for giving you nightmares.

Maybe a junior doctor will give him an involuntary appendectomy before he can finish his evil work, fingers crossed!

It's fine. They're almost done gutting social housing and next they can focus on removing our employment rights and switching to a US style system where you can be fired for anything anytime. Once that happens you might die on the streets before you have a chance to bankrupt yourself by getting sick.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

alphabettitouretti posted:

But you know where the heat is coming from by the device you're using to grill. It's unnecessary to have different terms for it. If you don't have a bbq (or 'grill') then simply put it in your broiler (aka 'grill') upside down. Problem solved.

But it cooks differently is the point. So grilling vs. baking vs. broiling will produce different results. That's why people say it, not because of device restrictions. My oven bakes and broils, and you can grill on the cook top. If my wife and I want steaks, we decide "how do we want them prepared". Broiled, grilled, or pan fried finished by baking. Those are different steaks. Alternatively, if we put cupcakes in the oven and turn on the broiler, it will not go well for dessert.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.
So, if you get insurance/some sorta cover from your job.. how does it work out if you end up sick for a longer period/suffer an accident that keeps you from getting back to work?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
According to this definition:

http://www.britannica.com/topic/broiling

broiling is cooking by use of direct radiated heat, so both grilling and barbequing would be forms of broiling. It may be just a UK definition though.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lonkface posted:

So, if you get insurance/some sorta cover from your job.. how does it work out if you end up sick for a longer period/suffer an accident that keeps you from getting back to work?

This is a fun one.

Most jobs with good insurance offer some sort of Long-term Disability insurance, to cover exactly that. But there's two types. If you have an awesome employer, they have LTDI benefits baked right into their employment plan, but some don't. THEN there's LTDI in your benefits package that you pay extra for, kind of like an extended warranty, that extends out the time that you'll be paid while out of work. Also you can go to third party companies like AFLAC, who make millions selling standalone LTDI benefits to workers who have insurance plans that don't offer them.

So if you get sick or suffer a longterm issue that keeps you out of work (and isn't workman's comp eligible, or IS workman's comp eligible but the illness or injury outlasts your workman's comp period) you use up all your sick days, then all your vacation days, because most companies won't allow your LTDI to kick in until you're out of comp days, THEN your LTDI kicks in for however long you have it set up to last, and then after if you're still hurt or injured you probably just don't have a job any more.

See? It's all very simple.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man, this is not what I thought I'd be doing when I hopped on to SA this morning.

While I'm at it, anybody wanna hear about Sea Star Wasting Disease? :gary:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/sqCZLGM.webm

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

And that physical therapy might not even be covered at all, depending on their insurer. Or, more commonly, will only be covered for partial cost and partial duration, E.G. the insurance company will pay for 60% of the cost of physical therapy, but only for 30 days even though the complete course takes 60 or 90 days.

Yes. And most insurances only cover chiropractor (which, believe it or not, some don't even consider as physical therapy!) therapy for a few visits.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Oh yeah, by the way pretty soon your health insurance will count as your income, and they'll tax us even more for that.

I work at a job that has a fantastic insurance (Which I don't use for fear of losing all my money over something minor) but pays a little lower to make up for it. Great stuff.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

This is a fun one.

Most jobs with good insurance offer some sort of Long-term Disability insurance, to cover exactly that. But there's two types. If you have an awesome employer, they have LTDI benefits baked right into their employment plan, but some don't. THEN there's LTDI in your benefits package that you pay extra for, kind of like an extended warranty, that extends out the time that you'll be paid while out of work. Also you can go to third party companies like AFLAC, who make millions selling standalone LTDI benefits to workers who have insurance plans that don't offer them.

So if you get sick or suffer a longterm issue that keeps you out of work (and isn't workman's comp eligible, or IS workman's comp eligible but the illness or injury outlasts your workman's comp period) you use up all your sick days, then all your vacation days, because most companies won't allow your LTDI to kick in until you're out of comp days, THEN your LTDI kicks in for however long you have it set up to last, and then after if you're still hurt or injured you probably just don't have a job any more.

That's wonderful. I wonder why the rest of the world hasn't converted to this magnificently and uncomplicated system.

Also yes for sea stars and everything else.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ehhhhhh there are yearly out of pocket maximums that you are responsible for. $10,000 is mine.

I'm assuming this is more to cover the cost of one parent missing work to care for their child because in the US we have no guaranteed vacation or sick time.

I received two weeks vacation and one week of personal time and I've been fighting tooth and nail to use two whole days through the first quarter of this year.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yes. And most insurances only cover chiropractor (which, believe it or not, some don't even consider as physical therapy!) therapy for a few visits.

Yep! I got really lucky, in that my insurance covers not only chiropractors but almost all other forms of physical therapy. So if/when it comes down to getting my knee replaced (I have a decade old injury that I never got treated because I didn't have insurance, shocking, right?) I'll also be covered for any kind of therapy associated with that.

But for all you Europeans, that is NOT the norm over here in the U.S. Like Derek said, most insurance coverage plans will only allow you to see a chiropractor once or twice a year, if at all. And as anybody who has ever been to a chiropractor knows, going once a year is basically like buying a star citizen jpeg - you're better off just burning that money.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Ehhhhhh there are yearly out of pocket maximums that you are responsible for. $10,000 is mine.

I'm assuming this is more to cover the cost of one parent missing work to care for their child because in the US we have no guaranteed vacation or sick time.

I received two weeks vacation and one week of personal time and I've been fighting tooth and nail to use two whole days through the first quarter of this year.

The ACA did a lot to ensure that insurance companies can't weasel out of their Out of Pocket Maximums, but there are still some ways to work around that, especially if the insurance company found a way to grandfather that plan (which doesn't seem likely, given that CIG wasn't even a thing in 2010 but you never know) so actual costs could still be much higher than the maximum, especially if, as Derek and I mentioned, some of the treatments the Skelton girl needs aren't covered by their plan.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

reddit.jpg:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Don't go to a loving chiropractor.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Yep! I got really lucky, in that my insurance covers not only chiropractors but almost all other forms of physical therapy. So if/when it comes down to getting my knee replaced (I have a decade old injury that I never got treated because I didn't have insurance, shocking, right?) I'll also be covered for any kind of therapy associated with that.

But for all you Europeans, that is NOT the norm over here in the U.S. Like Derek said, most insurance coverage plans will only allow you to see a chiropractor once or twice a year, if at all. And as anybody who has ever been to a chiropractor knows, going once a year is basically like buying a star citizen jpeg - you're better off just burning that money.

If it can even be considered to be medicine and/or effective.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Good chiropractors are essentially lovely physical therapists, the bad ones are like Tom Brady's doctor who adjusts his chi and won't let him eat hot food during the summer.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Chiropractors are essentially lovely physical therapists.

This is very true, but trying to get Americans to listen to the medical or scientific community is like trying to teach your cat to play the ukulele. Hell, I'm guilty of seeing a chiropractor myself.

But yeah if your insurance covers seeing a chiropractor and/or seeing a physical therapist, go to the PT. It's mo betta.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

The short answer is: you don't.

Your insurance that you get from work will cover some portion of your expenses, based on a fuckton of criteria that changes from insurance company to insurance company, employer to employer, and risk group to risk group. Whatever is left over is up to you to pay, in whatever ways you can.

Medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US. It's hosed.

Personal verification: Many many years ago, my immediate family suffered a critical illness. Once we were done moving through the US health-care system, both of us with good jobs, and both with good insurance - we owed a quarter of a million dollars. Filed for bankruptcy. A few years later my credit was back to normal. There was literally no other way out, short of changing my name and moving to another country.

I read once that unexpected medical bills in the U.S. are a "financial shark attack" from which nobody except the most rich can ever recover, and if it hadn't been for the bankruptcy laws working in my favor, I'd have had to agree. Living here is great for lots of reasons, but if I had to list only one real honest adult fear about life here, it's what happens to you if you get the wrong medical issue. Whether or not you can be cured literally takes a back seat to, "This will ruin me financially for the rest of my life."

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Bored at work...and about 100 pages behind.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 3, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Chiropractors are quacks hth

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Good chiropractors are essentially lovely physical therapists
Not even the worst physical therapist will ever kill you by accident.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 3, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

That's a lot of money, but I'm pretty sure that falling 40 feet and breaking vertebrae and an arm is well into "you should be dead" territory.

Never heard of it. We have Obamacare.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sea Star Wasting Disease Megapost
(Because literally one guy asked and I'm super bored. Just go ahead and skip this post.)

Where Did All The Starfish Go?

In the late 2013, scientists started receiving reports of a mass die-off of sea stars on the coast of British Columbia. Sunflower stars and morning sun stars were dying at alarming rates. Since then, mass die-offs have been reported up and down the West coast, ranging from Southern California all the way up to the Gulf of Alaska. Close to 40 separate species of sea stars have been affected, and in 2014 the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma, Washington lost more than half of their kept sea stars to the disease. Similar die-offs had been reported sporadically in the seventies and on the Atlantic coast earlier in 2013, but those occurrences were isolated and short in duration.

The sea stars affected show a variety of symptoms, including a deflated appearance, white lesions on the surface of the sea star, and the separation of arms from the central disk. Symptoms can progress quickly, leading to death within a matter of hours or days. The sea stars rapidly transition into a mushy white blob, and have been described as "dissolved" or "melted".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjrp3Eckr-E

What's Killing All Our Sea Stars?

The very short answer to the question is "nobody is really sure", but biologists have been working to try and decipher the mystery of sea star wasting, and have made a number of interesting finds. Here's a brief video about the research being done to try and figure out why so many sea stars are being killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPSFdjvES_Y

Cornell University microbial oceanographer Ian Hewson and his team conducted a study to attempt to isolate a causal agent and found strong evidence to suggest that sea star-associated densovirus is the main culprit behind the mass die-off events. By observing localized events and then analyzing tissue samples, he discovered that SSaDV was the most likely candidate. This raises further questions though - as SSaDV has long been found in sea star populations, but only now has begun to result in these high-mortality events. Below are both the abstract to his study and a link to the pdf version of the full study, published in PNAS - or the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.

Abstract

Populations of at least 20 asteroid species on the Northeast Pacific Coast have recently experienced an extensive outbreak of sea-star (asteroid) wasting disease (SSWD). The disease leads to behavioral changes, lesions, loss of turgor, limb autotomy, and death characterized by rapid degradation (“melting”). Here, we present evidence from experimental challenge studies and field observations that link the mass mortalities to a densovirus (Parvoviridae). Virus-sized material (i.e., <0.2 μm) from symptomatic tissues that was inoculated into asymptomatic asteroids consistently resulted in SSWD signs whereas animals receiving heat-killed (i.e., control) virus-sized inoculum remained asymptomatic. Viral metagenomic investigations revealed the sea star-associated densovirus (SSaDV) as the most likely candidate virus associated with tissues from symptomatic asteroids. Quantification of SSaDV during transmission trials indicated that progression of SSWD paralleled increased SSaDV load. In field surveys, SSaDV loads were more abundant in symptomatic than in asymptomatic asteroids. SSaDV could be detected in plankton, sediments and in nonasteroid echinoderms, providing a possible mechanism for viral spread. SSaDV was detected in museum specimens of asteroids from 1942, suggesting that it has been present on the North American Pacific Coast for at least 72 y. SSaDV is therefore the most promising candidate disease agent responsible for asteroid mass mortality.

PDF LINK
http://www.pnas.org/content/111/48/17278.full.pdf

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 3, 2016

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Risc1911 posted:

Bored at work...and about 100 pages behind.

:five:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

The worst thing is while the unrestrained capitalism that is private healthcare is bad, the UK implementation of said capitalism will be handled with the typical Tory combination of evil and ineptness. So we'll have to pay for healthcare like the US but everything will be even shitter than under the NHS and cost about 10 times as much. I fully envision that we'll have poor healthcare that only 10% of the country can afford.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Illegal Move posted:

Wow, the healthcare system in the US is really strange. How do people normally pay for their health issues? I mean, if you don't have a group of whales who you can turn to for help, what do you do?

Generally, they don't. I pulled this up a few weeks ago when discussing on another forum:

Just for reference: 62% of americans have under $1,000 in savings, 30% don't have $0 in savings.

#1 cause of bankruptcy: Medical Bills
56 million adults in American cannot keep up with their medical expenses at their current incomes (that is, they're going underwater on other bills while paying medical expenses).

Every year, 10 million insured Americans will run up medical bills they cannot pay off in a year. The average cost that triggers this? $5,000.

---
If you're wondering why you see this, even with people who are insured. That's why. It's not a shitizen scam, it's a lovely American for-profit health system.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Personal verification: Many many years ago, my immediate family suffered a critical illness. Once we were done moving through the US health-care system, both of us with good jobs, and both with good insurance - we owed a quarter of a million dollars. Filed for bankruptcy. A few years later my credit was back to normal. There was literally no other way out, short of changing my name and moving to another country.

I read once that unexpected medical bills in the U.S. are a "financial shark attack" from which nobody except the most rich can ever recover, and if it hadn't been for the bankruptcy laws working in my favor, I'd have had to agree. Living here is great for lots of reasons, but if I had to list only one real honest adult fear about life here, it's what happens to you if you get the wrong medical issue. Whether or not you can be cured literally takes a back seat to, "This will ruin me financially for the rest of my life."

250k? Wtf.

I keep saying that if there's two things U.S should try and change, it's healthcare and education. You can't put a massive individual price on either. Everyone deserves a chance to study without going into deep debt and no one should be turned away from something they're interested in simply because they can't afford it when it comes to studying.

And as we know, everyone's gonna need healthcare.

To me it makes more sense, but it certainly comes with it's costs to a nation. Free education, from the first grade to the highest levels is the one thing I still continue to be proud of in my country but bit by bit it seems like we might be shifting away from it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

This is a fun one.

Yep, pretty much this.

You would be amazed how much the industry has changed over 20 years in the US. When I was 20 my employer offered insurance for free. Now it's roughly $235 or so bi-weekly. A lot of folks don't realize how much the employer kicks in. According to my W-2, my employer's portion of the premium is $18,000 for the family plan. Crazy ain't it?

My out of pocket max for the year is $6,250. Given the nature of the plan I'm on hook for most of that for visits outside of say a yearly physical.

Dental is extra. A lot of these will cover 2 cleanings per year and you might get a break on more serious stuff like crowns. But say your kid needs braces or a retainer...they might cover $1,000-$1,500 of the cost. And I can speak with confidence that a kid with braces will set you back $5K.

Vision is extra. (These plans usually suck)

And like he said you can do short term disability and LTD. You can also tack on various other things.

Say you go into the hospital to have a procedure done. Hell, like having your tonsils removed. You will spend months receiving bills from various places (the hospital, the surgeon, the anesthesia guy, the lab, etc.)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

The ACA did a lot to ensure that insurance companies can't weasel out of their Out of Pocket Maximums, but there are still some ways to work around that, especially if the insurance company found a way to grandfather that plan (which doesn't seem likely, given that CIG wasn't even a thing in 2010 but you never know) so actual costs could still be much higher than the maximum, especially if, as Derek and I mentioned, some of the treatments the Skelton girl needs aren't covered by their plan.

The fact that you wrote as much as you did without mentioning OOP maximums leads me to think your (and Derek's) numbers might be full of poo poo.

Regardless, I think donating money to middle class people is pretty hilarious.

How old is this child and how did she fall off a 40' retaining wall?

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Star Citizen Wasting Disease

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

it's when you keep spending money on star citizen till only a white mush is left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lonkface posted:

250k? Wtf.

I keep saying that if there's two things U.S should try and change, it's healthcare and education. You can't put a massive individual price on either. Everyone deserves a chance to study without going into deep debt and no one should be turned away from something they're interested in simply because they can't afford it when it comes to studying.

And as we know, everyone's gonna need healthcare.

To me it makes more sense, but it certainly comes with it's costs to a nation. Free education, from the first grade to the highest levels is the one thing I still continue to be proud of in my country but bit by bit it seems like we might be shifting away from it.

I'm a big capitalism fan, but I always felt if you're gonna bother to build a society, then the whole point is to have a handful of social systems in place, and everything else free market. Defense, education, and health are the big 3 for me. In the US we do a good job (or did until recently) on defense, but not so much on the other 2. So we have a hard crunchy outer shell protecting a soft, sick, ignorant chewy center. My wife and I do OK with more-or-less middle class income, but I'm driving a 13 year old truck, and we live in a tiny little house, just to make sure we have money for emergencies, which tend to be plentiful. My mistake was not investing all my savings into Star Citizen, but with how great the PTU is coming along, I think it's finally time to go for the completionist package.

• Locked thread