Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Power Ambient posted:

since i'm the only dev left on my team i get to do hiring and i'm scared but i'm sure it will also be funny and depressing

you will basically experience this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3kP2A80KIw

except like 10 times more people than that, and 75% of them wont be able to write fizzbuzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

yo I flaked out about the jobs I mentioned before, mainly because when I asked for more details about the positions i was getting slightly...cagey replies

Come to London, work for a Fintech startup in Scala, be my junior bitch. The team is good, the practices are good and the pay is not bad.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

Come to London, work for a Fintech startup in Scala, be my junior bitch. The team is good, the practices are good and the pay is not bad.

would they hire from the us?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh i forgot valeyard is in the uk so it's not really a foreign hire

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

I was thinking about this recently, I interned at the place I work now and started here straight after finishing uni. So I've only worked for 1 company, and it is on the opposite extreme from most startups. I don't know if it would have been good to try some startups first to see what it is like

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Arcsech posted:

you will basically experience this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3kP2A80KIw

except like 10 times more people than that, and 75% of them wont be able to write fizzbuzz

i can only write fizzbuzz in javascript so i guess that's why i'm the boss now

would hire the cyborg tho, he seems alright

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Power Ambient posted:

i can only write fizzbuzz in javascript so i guess that's why i'm the boss now

would hire the cyborg tho, he seems alright

they tried, he used their offer for leverage for more money elsewhere lol

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

lancemantis posted:

they tried, he used their offer for leverage for more money elsewhere lol

yeah this happens a ton. from the hiring side its really annoying but i would have no reservations whatsoever about doing that when looking for a job so i deffo cant blame anyone that does it

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

gonadic io posted:

i wouldn't work in london, especially in finance, for less than a deece six figgies (gbp)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
why is Microsoft piss at loving dependency management

why

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i wouldn't work in london, especially in finance, for less than a deece six figgies (gbp)

you cant have a deece figgy when you get paid in pounds

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

On the other hand, you could move to Japan and make seven figures, easy.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

which is why all the talent flees to america :q:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if a london finance company can't deliver the figgies then why the gently caress would i ever work for it

i mean, unless i'm straight out of compton^Wgrad school and just happy to have a job

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
google says:

quote:

1 Great British Pounding equals
1.41 US Dollar

$140k is absolutely attainable in a major usa metro area (nyc, sf, la, etc) just working at a normal company outside of the financial sector. not google or facebook or amazon or any poo poo like that. not even particularly late in your career, maybe a few years experience.

so yeah, if the entire purpose of your super exciting "fintech" startup is to generate money, and you want me to live/work in london, i expect quite a bit more than that

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

JewKiller 3000 posted:

google says:

$140k is absolutely attainable in a major usa metro area (nyc, sf, la, etc) just working at a normal company outside of the financial sector. not google or facebook or amazon or any poo poo like that. not even particularly late in your career, maybe a few years experience.

so yeah, if the entire purpose of your super exciting "fintech" startup is to generate money, and you want me to live/work in london, i expect quite a bit more than that

how the gently caress do you think they're supposed to make money if they just give it away like that :rolleyes:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think in general the big financial corps are trying to downsize tech presence in London, but for the fintech startups it's still the only place to be

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I don't know what the senior people get paid, but it's my first job, I'm fresh out of dropping out of my phd and I get £37.5k. Make of that what you will.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gonadic io posted:

I don't know what the senior people get paid, but it's my first job, I'm fresh out of dropping out of my phd and I get £37.5k. Make of that what you will.

what's it like living on a park bench?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

gonadic io posted:

That's better than I did, after finishing a science masters. Started of at 30k at a tiny london fintech-ish shop, got a raise to 35k after one year. I'm looking for a new job though as I think I can do better, and have been a product owner here for over a year now.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Soricidus posted:

My apartment is 45sqm so not much bigger than a park bench. And that's sharing the rent with a gf!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

My commute is like 70 mins each way because I live south of London, but at least that means that I get a whole bench to myself!

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

JewKiller 3000 posted:

google says:

Jesus. I need a new job. anyone hiring terrible JavaScript programmers? I can do fizz buzz!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

To give you an idea, let's say that if you took 69, divided it by 2.19, multiplied by a thousand and round-up. A completely random number of course

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

can't wait for all the Americans to wake up and laugh at us

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pointsofdata posted:

can't wait for all the Americans to wake up and laugh at us

:cawg:

now, what am i laughing at?

return0
Apr 11, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

That's better than I did, after finishing a science masters. Started of at 30k at a tiny london fintech-ish shop, got a raise to 35k after one year. I'm looking for a new job though as I think I can do better, and have been a product owner here for over a year now.

your getting mugged off mate

there are regular tech startups, outside finance, in *scotland* that pay 45k (more if senior)

*scotland!*

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lol 35k with a phd jesus

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Neither me, Valeyard, nor Pointsofdata have a PhD.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I almost did a PhD but it looked like hard work

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I started one but it was hard work.

that wasn't interesting, with basically no pay, huge hours expected of me and wouldn't even be that rewarding if I completed.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
nobody gets a PhD because of the improved wages afterwards

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh well your work history has the letters phd in it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I forget how the only tech companies that don't give you trash wages in Europe are American.

I bet investment banks would run all their tech out of Eastern Europe if they could.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
s/investment banks/every company/g btw

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
if we're having figgie chat again, i want to link to these posts i made in the itt you post your cj/tech/whateversalary thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755601&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post453792787
and
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755601&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post453872419

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i majored in poetry composition with minors and philosophy and photography and i get paid more than u guyz to write terribble mumps and vb6 all day. and i get to live some where where a 1600sqft house costs me <500 a month to own. if that's the best you can do, pls leave england immediately u r getting hosed.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mi5 are advertising for what I presume must be IPB related stuff:

quote:

From a technology perspective, this operational section is the most advanced and most exciting area of our software development to work in. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work on next generation digital intelligence processing platforms, integrate the latest big data technologies and open source products when appropriate and have an opportunity to learn about big data and modern technologies as part of a wider development community. 
http://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=779630c4f741657b&from=serp

45k in Manchester, not too bad for 2years experience.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i live and work in milton keynes and make £26k straight out of uni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

thats better than a lot of my friends, in some cases £10k better

• Locked thread