Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
TRPG's are my favorite RPG's and I'd be sad if I got sick of them. That said, they need decent AI to be fun for me which sort of disqualifies Disgaea and leaves me with SE's stuff, FE (sort of, the AI can be occasionally hit/miss), and most western TRPG's like Shadowrun and the Avernum/Exile games.

There's a lot of shared DNA with other things I love like Civ/Alpha Centauri, XCOM, and table top RPG's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
If we are still on jrpg chat then Bravely Second is real good and I'm excited for all you non European gamers to play it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mak0rz posted:

How do you feel about Super Mario RPG, Naga?

Um...It's got some pretty darn good jokes, the battle system is kind of interesting. I don't think it's super amazing or anything but I think it's alright. I prefer the first two Paper Marios though,

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tiger Millionaire posted:

If we are still on jrpg chat then Bravely Second is real good and I'm excited for all you non European gamers to play it.

I'm super jealous about that. Europe already gets all the best cheese and now BS first. It's a travesty.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not really hard to have better cheese than a country that literally calls something 'American cheese'

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Proclick.

Cardboard Box A posted:

So, it looks like they built an arcade cabinet for Smash...

Nice.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think my favourite kind of video game is the humble platformer. I have way more fun with those than any other type.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think the last platformer I seriously played was They Bleed Pixels.

Are there any good gaming podcasts?

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 3, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I think my favourite kind of video game is the humble platformer. I have way more fun with those than any other type.
Platformers own, but I get why people don't make very many anymore. They're incredibly hard to do well.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Snak posted:

No. It sucks, but Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, and Bloodborne are all we have until Dark Souls III comes out.

Do NOT under any circumstances, buy Lords of the Fallen.

Here's how bad it is: The jump attack, you know, forward+r2? It misses stationary targets that you are locked onto. Because it hits to the side. For like, no reason. It cleaves straight down just to the right of center and misses about 85% of the time. Targets you are locked onto. Even large ones.

Still beats missing with standard rapier attacks on stationary targets you're locked on to in DS2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Healbot posted:

Still beats missing with standard rapier attacks on stationary targets you're locked on to in DS2.

It really doesn't, since that only affects rapiers, and the problem in Lords of the Fallen is basically all strength weapons.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yoshi's Woolly World is an incredibly good platformer and also it is really adorable and cute to look at

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm looking forward to the new Ratchet and Clank game. I've been in the mood for a game like that for a while now.

Edit. Also hi, hello, good morning thread.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I have no idea what I want to play but I know for sure we're going to have to record again today because we haven't in like three/four days and tomorrow's Rosetta's birthday so we're going to be busy with that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Skeezy posted:

I'm looking forward to the new Ratchet and Clank game. I've been in the mood for a game like that for a while now.

Edit. Also hi, hello, good morning thread.

good morning!

is the new ratchet and clank game the one that is both a remake but also a movie tie-in?

Lady Naga posted:

and tomorrow's Rosetta's birthday so we're going to be busy with that.

who?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My life and LP co-star that I constantly talk about in these threads :v:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lady Naga posted:

:geno:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

I only ever remember you talking about super bunnyhop

is that them?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FirstAidKite posted:

I only ever remember you talking about super bunnyhop

is that them?

No I talked about the LP and Rosetta a fair bit in the last thread I guess I just overestimated how much I did.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mistle posted:

This, but any system that has the influence to spawn shovelware.

There's will always be cruft to dredge through, but on every system, it's possible to find a game worth one's time. Might not be the same game for everyone, but that's okay

no it's specifically nintneod consoles because it's not just the shovelware, it's the normal releases as well

Lady Naga posted:

No I talked about the LP and Rosetta a fair bit in the last thread I guess I just overestimated how much I did.

i know what ur talking about dw

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
shovelwiiware

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Can someone help me find the Call of Duty thread.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

Can someone help me find the Call of Duty thread.

wii u tag

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ty.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I love adventure games but drat there are a lot of bad ones. How hard is it to make a Myst?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish Telltale would go back to point and click adventure games instead of Choice-Based Dramatic QTE Thingers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I wish Telltale would go back to point and click adventure games instead of Choice-Based Dramatic QTE Thingers.
I wish Telltale would either hire better animators or give their current animation team more time and money. Nearly every time I see a clip from one of their games the character movement seems kind of stiff and rushed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles/playstation-3-system-160gb-slim/108026

is this good value

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lurdiak posted:

I want them to do a season of Star Trek TNG

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Platformers own, but I get why people don't make very many anymore. They're incredibly hard to do well.

I totally agree. They live and die on the physics of movement and the interesting design of the levels.
SMB is so deceptive in its apparent simplicity but behind the scenes it does so much so well. It's just not as easy to replicate all that and I think a lot of potential designers might fall into that trap.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lady Naga posted:

Um...It's got some pretty darn good jokes, the battle system is kind of interesting. I don't think it's super amazing or anything but I think it's alright. I prefer the first two Paper Marios though,

whew. the JRPG chat had me concerned that you were dead inside but I think you're okay!

VideoGames posted:

How are Yooka-Laylee and Hat in Time coming along? I haven't heard anything about them in a while.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

How are Yooka-Laylee and Hat in Time coming along? I haven't heard anything about them in a while.

This october I'm hoping to play Yooka! I still love listening to the pre release music tracks. I adore videogame music.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

me, writing for my video game zine: A Hat in Time Scores 9

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

good morning!

is the new ratchet and clank game the one that is both a remake but also a movie tie-in?

Yes it is! It looks really good.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im really jazzed the only good platformers from the n64 are getting extended with yooka-laylee and will be multiplat

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
http://www.tribdem.com/news/local_n...d21f38a9b0.html

This happened near me lmao

Why does it keep happening!!!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I can't wait to have more 3d platformers, I hope it improves on the platformers of old

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
its like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_EKHGgWJQ

but replace the car she crashed into with a dollar tree

how does this keep happening!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

I love adventure games but drat there are a lot of bad ones. How hard is it to make a Myst?

Actually super hard.

If you think about, all of Myst's qualities are in the great yet varied aesthetic, and the design of the puzzles. The puzzles in Myst were actual puzzles, requiring logic, basic cryptography, general reasoning, etc. Being able to observe things and apply them elsewhere. Now thing about games in general: how many of them, adventure games or otherwise, manage to pull of those thing? Most games coast on their gameplay being fun, with everything else being a bonus if it's good. Myst is entirely those elements which most games do terribly.

That said, Lighthouse is probably the best Myst clone that I ever played. But still way worse than Riven or Myst 3.

edit: ^ How have they not put concrete pylons in front of the store to stop this from happening?

edit2: Mini Metro is ruining my entire life. Everyone should buy it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love Lighthouse even though I'm not really into point-and-click adventure games, but that's pretty much entirely on the strength of a cool early-CD-era aesthetic. Also it's buggy as hell and I'm not certain it was possible to complete when it came out.

• Locked thread