Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Given that they barely seem to test new sets for Modern, let alone Legacy, you can be pretty sure Pauper is not remotely on their radar.

I guess it could show up if they needed a three mana black removal spell for limited, but it seems like there's got to be better options out there that don't require two miles of oracle text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is it true that the "Challenge Events" at GPs that you get to enter with the Infinite Passes don't provide Planeswalker Points?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
All existence is a lie. Why should we truly care about anything? The card frame on my playset of $40 Oubliettes is as black as my soul.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's a very niche card in exactly one pauper deck. I don't know, this would be like expecting Hydroblast to be in Eternal Masters because it's expensive on MODO.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

GoutPatrol posted:

9/16/2007: If the targeted creature is a token, it will cease to exist after being exiled. Any Auras that were attached to it will remain exiled forever.

Read gatherer dude

I know exactly what it does. The problem is the huge number of players who will assume "this Oubliette was O-ringing my Rancor, so it comes back and I get it back, right?"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I just looked up what 93/94 is

Holy poo poo I hate magic players

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'd like to invite you all to join my new format: Standard Foils Only. It's exactly the same as standard, except you can only play with foils. This makes decks more expensive, which is an important feature that makes the format better. Please get in so I can make a profit on the 200 foil siege rhinos I bought

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oubliette is also now very much a white effect. I'm not sure what their stance on color pie bending in supplemental products is.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Oubliette is also now very much a white effect. I'm not sure what their stance on color pie bending in supplemental products is.

Maro said Commander isn't real magic anymore because one of the precons gave green a Banishing Light that also has the Path to Exile drawback.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Maro said Commander isn't real magic anymore

Best Maro quote ever.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mcmagic posted:

Best Maro quote ever.

He didn't say that, just that the card does something green shouldn't.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

BizarroAzrael posted:

He didn't say that, just that the card does something green shouldn't.

profoundstatement-buffering asked: Why does Song of the Dryads make you sad?

It means that Commander drifts farther and farther away from being Magic.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Maro said Commander isn't real magic anymore because one of the precons gave green a Banishing Light that also has the Path to Exile drawback.

but that's not even what Song of Dryads is, loving Magic players

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I like this discussion because I like saying the word "Oubliette", I think it's cool.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bonus posted:

I like this discussion because I like saying the word "Oubliette", I think it's cool.

Then you'll like this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tziQcj4XIYw

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

profoundstatement-buffering asked: Why does Song of the Dryads make you sad?

It means that Commander drifts farther and farther away from being Magic.

still a funny quote

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I just looked up what 93/94 is

Holy poo poo I hate magic players

I don't know. Aside from the stupid "anything after unlimited is a proxy" is loving dumb I kind of like the idea of the format. Play decks I played in Highschool again,

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yes but "only own the original printings" is integral to the format. So it actually is loving dumb.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't know. Aside from the stupid "anything after unlimited is a proxy" is loving dumb I kind of like the idea of the format. Play decks I played in Highschool again,

if you're playing without mana burn and with the stack you're just frontin'

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

rabidsquid posted:

Yes but "only own the original printings" is integral to the format. So it actually is loving dumb.

Right that's loving dumb. But I like the concept of just the early cards. Going to have to make my old deck again.

My earliest control deck was esper that used hypnotic specter for card advantage, preacher to steal creatures, hell's caretaker to sac those creatures to bring mine back and Serra angels and sengir vampires to close it out backed up with counter magic and time elementals.

It was fun as hell.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 3, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Also Fallen Empires is not allowed, even though it clearly falls within the time period, because it is too easy to get ahold of Fallen Empires cards.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

These guys had better not be using sleeves, otherwise they're just posers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sure, but I don't think they're even playing it that way. From what I know of it, it just looks like a dumb "choose your own standard" format. If it was really 93/94, they'd revert back from the rules improvements over the years. The game would be the way Richard intended it, with the rules mess that it was. Batches and ante cards. Tapping artifacts and creatures made them not work.That gigantic rat's rear end maze flowchart. It doesn't capture what I imagine 93/94 magic must've been like, since there's nothing suggesting any of that aside from a time limit on what cards were allowed.

Also Fallen Empires is not allowed, even though it clearly falls within the time period, because it is too easy to get ahold of Fallen Empires cards.
:lol:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

If I can't play pump knights in my grognard format then what's the point

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Newb question:

Tap card, gain 1 mana. Spend one mana and tap card, gain 1 life. Does tapping the card in the second case still provide 1 mana? If something other than this card causes it to tap, does the player still get 1 mana?

VVVVVV thanks

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 3, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Newb question:

Tap card, gain 1 mana. Spend one mana and tap card, gain 1 life. Does tapping the card in the second case still provide 1 mana? If something other than this card causes it to tap, does the player still get 1 mana?

No. You have to tap the card as a cost to gain the one green mana. Tapping it for any other reason is not tapping to gain the 1 green mana.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some players also want to ban Unlimited for the same reason.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Takes opponent's black lotus while they are busy looking up the order of effects, in the 93/94 era of wizard poker:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I'd like to invite you all to join my new format: Standard Foils Only. It's exactly the same as standard, except you can only play with foils. This makes decks more expensive, which is an important feature that makes the format better. Please get in so I can make a profit on the 200 foil siege rhinos I bought

In my format you're only allowed to use intentional miscuts from foil sheets.

Regular accidental miscuts are not allowed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Some players also want to ban Unlimited for the same reason.

I was going to make a joke about this but apparently the funniest joke is reality.

Ban Beta. They're not true Magic cards anyway. Volcanic Island isn't real Magic. :colbert:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Four Score posted:

if you're playing without mana burn and with the stack you're just frontin'

The stack? Please, if you're playing without a damage prevention window and batches I don't even know what you're doing with your life

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Play Demonic Attorney, opponent flips a Black Lotus :smug:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I still can't loving believe they called it a batch, in the 90's no less

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I never actually looked at the rat's maze before - only to laugh at it. But does it seriously have nested flowcharts? Is that what the little circles with letters are for? :eyepop:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Four Score posted:

I still can't loving believe they called it a batch, in the 90's no less

I love that they invoked computer terminology for batches and interrupts but somehow didn't think to use a stack.

I kinda get what Garfield was going for with Interrupts and "faster-than-fast" effects but it ended up being kind of a mess. It didn't help that the templating and rulebook text were such a goddamn mess in the beginning, so not only were the rules more complicated than they needed to be, they were badly explained.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is Brain in a Jar going to make Restore Balance a tier one modern deck ???

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

Just as much as Goblin Dark-Dwellers did.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Brain in a Jar actually can't cast 0 mana spells.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

No, because you can't ever cast a zero-cost spell off it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah it doesn't have trickery with suspend cards, but does let you have shenanigans with split cards if what I've read is correct.

• Locked thread