Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
New replies in the crash thread and I'm disappointed no one fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Looks like you have your work cut out for you Chiche!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Coydog posted:

He doesn't crash, he just blows up motors and leave them on the side of the highway.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Psh, it isn't a crash if a bricked bike tips over in a garage. :rolleyes:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Marxalot posted:

He doesn't crash, he just blows up motors and leave them on the side of the highway.

Yes he does lol. But it was a drz so who cares whether it was blown up crashed or abandoned? or all 3

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Can't wait for bike tech to catch up with cars so the canned response to "my bike crashed :saddowns:" will be "try switching it off and on again"

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

-Inu- posted:

Hospital bills have started coming in from my crash a few weeks ago :getin:

Last bill posted recently.

Really wanted to hit that 6 figure mark, but oh well. At least I can tell people I've done a $170k trackday now.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 3, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Late to the game on this, but I'm really glad you are ok and not going to have to pay all of that, Inu. You've alerted me to the need for having enough coverage if I ever hit the track...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Can't wait for bike tech to catch up with cars so the canned response to "my bike crashed :saddowns:" will be "try switching it off and on again"

That sounds incredibly uncool.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I saw someone crash yesterday while I was riding into work. The guy was heading up an on-ramp in flowing traffic and I think he went to weave in between two cars but I guess overshot or miscalculated something because he ended up in the dirt on the right hand side (closer to the highway itself). He was a car in front of me so all I got to see was his brand new R6 sliding into a cloud of dust.

A couple of us pulled over, he was wearing some of his gear (no boots and regular jeans looked like) and it was at pretty slow speed. We helped him get the bike up and back on the road and he literally hopped back on without even giving it a once over and rode away. The bike looked in decent condition, I noticed a sheered off passenger peg but otherwise nothing else.

I really wish I had of seen what happened properly because I've got no idea how you crash on a straight, uphill section of road with plenty of merging room and only light traffic.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a special riding technique called the mootmoot. Shedding parts of your bike through extreme lateral integration with nearby surfaces helps create weight savings and thus makes you faster.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's funny how many of these accidents could be avoided with ABS. Or proper skill, of course.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
Wrecked the Blackbird today. Railroad tracks, sand, and exuberance. I should have known better. I kinda had a premonition, but that's easy in hindsight since I'm usually pretty paranoid. too fast over the tracks, got unsettled, and couldn't catch it. Bike is totaled since it's 16 years old and I cracked the case which let the oil out all over the road.

I'm OK. ATGAAT (except for pants), so I have a scrape on my butt. I could stand to lose the weight anyway, but I mostly feel ashamed. I should have known better, should have been more careful, and I wrecked a beautiful piece of machinery by not being on top of my game. Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.... but I escaped the last part with gear and some luck. gotta deal with insurance tomorrow. gently caress.

Be careful out there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mungtor posted:

Wrecked the Blackbird today.

Criminal. (goondolences on your loss)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you get compensated properly, though that won't replace such a special bike to you.

Most important thing is that you are ok and were wearing gear. You can buy a lot of bike for the damage you just spared yourself.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do they even make a bike that costs as much as Inu's hospital bill? That's isn't a garage queen custom or a Britten, I mean.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Do they even make a bike that costs as much as Inu's hospital bill? That's isn't a garage queen custom or a Britten, I mean.

EBR.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

A motorcycle, not the company.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

The RC213V-S is like $184,000 USD.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
WELP STATISTICS ARE STATISTICS FOR A REASON

Edit: there is supposed to be more here I just accidentally tabbed to the "Submit Reply" button too soon. TL;DR I lowsisded coming out of the parking lot at work because I am a massively inexperienced rider who gave the bike too much throttle mid-turn while leaned over too far and the bike deposited me on my rear end to teach me a lesson.

I am intensely ashamed of myself. :ughh:

Edit2: Okay so I was making a right out of the office parking lot. Looked left, traffic just cresting the hill about 100yds away, establish some forward momentum up the hill coming out of the lot, push right, apply throttl--WHOOSH I'm watching the bike recede away from me, I'm on my rear end, and three lanes of traffic slow to laugh at the dumb motorcyclist. As a rock-hard shitnugget on top of this steaming poo poo mountain of shame one of the vehicles was an ambulance. First order of action was to clear the travel lane of bike and rider big dummy. The EMTs got out of the bus and asked me if I was okay, I showed them the scuff marks on my gear, told them I was fine, asked them to keep the lights on for a second so I could collect my broken brake lever, and rolled the bike back into the parking lot to survey the damage. Determined I could make it home without a front brake as long as I paid attention and gave myself plenty of riding room, and especially made an effort not to dwell on the error causing me to have no front brake lever.

Bike Casualties:

Snapped front brake lever

Bent rear brake lever

Scuffed waterpump housing

Smashed front right turn signal

Scuffed bar-end

Scuffed lower right fork end

Gear casualties:

Scuffed glove cuff

Scuffed jacket on the right forearm

Scuffed and holed jeans

Rider casualties: quarter-sized spot of rash on outer right thigh. Jeans ain't poo poo, folks. I know you've all heard it before but here's some more proof. I slid about ten feet, if that.

Lessons learned: Easy with the throttle in a low-speed turn in first gear. Buy proper pants, wear proper pants.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 22, 2016

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Beach Bum posted:

WELP STATISTICS ARE STATISTICS FOR A REASON

Edit: there is supposed to be more here I just accidentally tabbed to the "Submit Reply" button too soon. TL;DR I lowsisded coming out of the parking lot at work because I am a massively inexperienced rider who gave the bike too much throttle mid-turn while leaned over too far and the bike deposited me on my rear end to teach me a lesson.

I am intensely ashamed of myself. :ughh:

Eh, don't worry about it too much. These first few weeks if you're riding regularly (like, every day) you're going to learn a ton about how you work with your bike. I dropped mine a couple times on my driveway when I was practicing. Once you've done it, you usually won't do it again, though, so that's good!

Hope you're OK.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lynza posted:

Eh, don't worry about it too much. These first few weeks if you're riding regularly (like, every day) you're going to learn a ton about how you work with your bike. I dropped mine a couple times on my driveway when I was practicing. Once you've done it, you usually won't do it again, though, so that's good!

Hope you're OK.

I'm fine, I'm just pissed at myself. It was a stupid mistake and it's going to make me cagey as hell in low speed turns until I get some more parking lot practice time.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
haven't you been riding for like a year? how is a lowside throwing you on tilt this much, it's no big deal

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Razzled posted:

haven't you been riding for like a year? how is a lowside throwing you on tilt this much, it's no big deal

I've been riding for about a month.

It's tilting me because it was embarrassing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Embarrassing crashes are the good ones. The serious ones never leave you with that feeling.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Glad you're ok. You'll be ok, easy does it and all that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Beach Bum posted:

I'm fine, I'm just pissed at myself. It was a stupid mistake and it's going to make me cagey as hell in low speed turns until I get some more parking lot practice time.
It happens. I had a similar lowside when I first started riding, but it taught me things about myself and my bike. In fact, I crashed a few times on the street when I first started riding, but it was always my fault and there was never another car involved. Every crash I've ever had has taught me something.

Good on you for taking responsibility and not blaming it on other factors. I absolutely hate when people say "where was nothing I could have done" or "it wasn't my fault". There are very few instances where something is completely unavoidable (racing, and to a lesser extent trackdays, aside). Some common things that are preventable: going too fast/too slow, not leaving enough stopping distance in the rain, using the front brake over wet metal grates/painted lines, not anticipating a car to make a dumb move, not having escape routes planned, etc. I mean yeah, no one is perfect all of the time and you can't realistically avoid everything, but everyone should analyze what went wrong during a given crash and take something from it.

Look at it this way: You had a slow speed crash and learned a lot from it (throttling too much while leaned too far (and probably on cold tires), that gear is worth it, that pants will shred in an instant). It's way better to learn the "easy" way than to learn it the hard way in a high speed crash.

This isn't relevant to your crash, and is probably something you already do to some extent, but I want to drive home how important it is. I don't think we have a new rider thread, so I figure it's not a bad idea to post this here. I posted this somewhere else the other day in response to someone advocating "loud pipes save lives":

quote:

When you're on a bike, you have to pretend you're invisible. Always analyze what other drivers are doing, constantly check your mirrors, always predict the dumbest possible thing a car could do and have at LEAST one escape route planned. It sounds like a lot to process and a possible distraction, but it becomes second nature very quick. I rode for so long that I unconsciously do the same thing while driving a car. Same thing - I've avoided MANY accidents in a car because I was prepared to handle the worst.

Ride defensively when needed, but don't be afraid to ride offensively either. If you're on a standard or sportbike, use the acceleration and brakes to your advantage. Practice braking in both dry and wet conditions. Learn what your bike is capable of (it's a lot more than most people think) so that you can use it if need be.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to get hit if you're doing the above, nor that every accident could have been prevented. I'm not saying that I'm some sort of ~superior rider~ because I've rode x street miles without an altercation with another vehicle. I know that it could have happened at any time. I knew the risks when I threw my leg over the seat. And yes, having a louder bike may occasionally alert people of your presence, but it's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

Awareness is just as important as bike comfort level and skill when it comes to safety. Practice it daily. I like to play a game where I guess what stupid thing another random driver is likely to do, and it's funny how often I'm right.

Recent example (I was in a car, but that doesn't matter): I was visiting my dad a few months ago and was driving with him in the car. I was stopped at a red light, and when traffic started moving again, an SUV from the other lane pulled out in front of me. I slowed down before I was in danger of hitting him. My dad said "holy poo poo, you could have almost hit that guy". I just chuckled and explained to him how I knew the SUV was likely to pull out: When I'm bored at a light, I'll unconsciously check out other cars and kind of people watch. I noticed the guy in the SUV move his head left a couple of times, which made me think that he may be planning to pull into the other lane. Once I saw his head moving, I checked his tires and saw that they were angled to the left. Sure enough, once he was able to move, over he went. There are a lot of subtle things other drivers do that can help you :ghost: predict the future :ghost:.

Anyway, don't be too hard on yourself. poo poo happens.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Awareness.

I remember having my awareness of my awareness slap me in the face one time. I was lane-splitting along the motorway and coming up to an 18-wheeler inching along with a sizeable gap in front of him, as they tend to do. Just before I zipped into the gap my spidey sense tingled and I slowed down, stuck to the cars and, sure enough, a retard decides he's going to do the fastest un-indicated 10km/h lane change of all time straight into the gap. I could practically picture the hologram of myself continuing straight into the side of his riced up prelude.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

If it makes you feel better I lowsided my ZX10 coming out my driveway last year. Same thing pretty much - was very early morning, very cold, leaned too much and didn't even get the clutch lever fully out before I felt it loop out under me.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Shimrod posted:

If it makes you feel better I lowsided my ZX10 coming out my driveway last year. Same thing pretty much - was very early morning, very cold, leaned too much and didn't even get the clutch lever fully out before I felt it loop out under me.

I lowsided in my neighborhood in front of a bus stop full of middle schoolers who all laughed at me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Glad you're not hurt and that your lesson was relatively cheap.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Beach Bum posted:

I've been riding for about a month.

It's tilting me because it was embarrassing.

oh my bad, for some reason you and renaissance robot are the same person in my mind

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
They're both British.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shadowlz posted:

I lowsided in my neighborhood in front of a bus stop full of middle schoolers who all laughed at me.

The WORST kind of crash. Wear a face covering helmet and not only save a life. Save an ego.

Beach, that's what first bikes are for. The damage doesn't look bad, and this won't be your first. There is nothing else I can say that wouldn't just mirror all the posts up above.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's often harder on you than it is on the bike. With time, you can move past it and heal.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Coydog posted:

The WORST kind of crash. Wear a face covering helmet and not only save a life. Save an ego.

Beach, that's what first bikes are for.

I never dropped my first bike. But you're making me nervous about my brand new FZ-07!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

They're both British.

Not quite. It's worse, I'm Floridian :haw:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrod posted:

The part of this story left out is you were running takeoffs

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Beach Bum posted:

Not quite. It's worse, I'm Floridian :haw:

oh my bad, for some reason you and renaissance robot are the same person in my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
wow rude

• Locked thread