Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Speaking of Descent, Volition did a livestream last week where they played it with some old-hands dispensing trivia as they went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVow-ttSh8o

Full stream
Freespace 3 confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mordja posted:

Freespace 3 confirmed.

Dont you go tugging on my heartstrings like that. :arghfist::mad:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Woolie Wool posted:

I actually kind of like the PC conversion of Descent Maximum for that reason--it's Descent II condensed into bite-sized chunks.

I need to look into this. Are they free to download or do you need to own an original copy of Descent Maximum? I've not had much of a foray into custom stuff in Descent despite playing it tons.

The Kins posted:

Speaking of Descent, Volition did a livestream last week where they played it with some old-hands dispensing trivia as they went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVow-ttSh8o

Full stream

This is an awesome watch :allears:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
There's already a complete set of Wolfenstein the New Order AND the Old Blood sprite resources on the Zdoom forums. :dogbutton:

They work very fast over there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Klaus88 posted:

There's already a complete set of Wolfenstein the New Order AND the Old Blood sprite resources on the Zdoom forums. :dogbutton:

They work very fast over there.

Did we ever get any for Wolfenstein 2009, cause if not then someone needs to do it

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Xenaero posted:

I need to look into this. Are they free to download or do you need to own an original copy of Descent Maximum? I've not had much of a foray into custom stuff in Descent despite playing it tons.

This is an awesome watch :allears:

"Community manager Mike Watson" wouldn't be Cyb, would he? That would really be a small world.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

"Community manager Mike Watson" wouldn't be Cyb, would he? That would really be a small world.
Nah, it's Idolninja, a goon and prominent Saints Row modder.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I love how one of the promised Kickstarter rewards for Overload is "no thief bot". Or so the Volition guys from the stream said.

I played Descent II with a custom HXM file that removed thief bots

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 2, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

I love how one of the promised Kickstarter rewards for Overload is "no thief bot". Or so the Volition guys from the stream said.

I played Descent II with a custom HXM file that removed thief bots

They probably aren't going to make it to 300k, but you reminded me they're still going, so I backed them anyway.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm not scared of the Medium Lifters anymore, but there's a deep terror of hearing the Thief's sound nearby still

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Drillers have the scariest sound. They scream at you.

E: I really wish Descent had an equivalent to ZDoom that would allow me to make a gameplay rebalancing mod. HXM is too limited and none of the tools work in 64-bit operating systems.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 2, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm sort of surprised Overload isn't getting more love on Kickstarter. I guess Descent wasn't as popular as I thought?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well Gunscape is out on PS4 and man it still feels pretty incomplete(also I can't figure out how to do anything involving properties or scripting in this game), kinda neat to mess around with, although it probably won't be till another year or two before it's complete enough to do anything truly substantial with

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

victrix posted:

I'm sort of surprised Overload isn't getting more love on Kickstarter. I guess Descent wasn't as popular as I thought?

It's probably because Descent Underground already launched a campaign using the familiar IP, the proceeded to piss off everybody.

Anyway, threw caution to the wind and blew through my large stock of lives in D1, and then moved on to the sequel. I managed to get three, four more levels in.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

victrix posted:

Everyone is sick of kickstarter. The well is poisoned

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drrockso20 posted:

Well Gunscape is out on PS4 and man it still feels pretty incomplete(also I can't figure out how to do anything involving properties or scripting in this game), kinda neat to mess around with, although it probably won't be till another year or two before it's complete enough to do anything truly substantial with

I get Gunscape and Guncraft mixed up, and have to check every time to see what's what. Gunscape is the 'it seems slightly better' game, apparently.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Moop Moop posted:

Everyone is sick of kickstarter. The well is poisoned

I haven't touched any kickstarter campaign, but you only ever hear bad press about how these things always end up late or just never deliver. :shrug:

Poisoned indeed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mogomra posted:

I haven't touched any kickstarter campaign, but you only ever hear bad press about how these things always end up late or just never deliver. :shrug:

Poisoned indeed.

Every single one of my kickstarters has delivered a game, some of them really good :shrug:

Caveat Emptor

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

victrix posted:

Caveat Emptor

the emptor caveated a while ago and kickstarter is a shithole that constantly gets bad press

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Devolver is going to be publishing STRAFE, which I'm pretty sure is a surprise to no one. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H0dV69ISlU

I hope we actually get to play this soon. :v:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

the emptor caveated a while ago and kickstarter is a shithole that constantly gets bad press

It's cool to have a platform that handles the money for a project.
Too bad if people constantly throw their dollars at the most retarted things.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's cool to have a platform that handles the money for a project.
Too bad if people constantly throw their dollars at the most retarted things.

Shut up, Barkley 2 will be great when it releases in 2249

In all seriousness, Pillars of Eternity turned out really well and I'm glad I backed it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Lemon-Lime posted:

Devolver is going to be publishing STRAFE, which I'm pretty sure is a surprise to no one. Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H0dV69ISlU

Finally, an recent FPS about shooting stuff that makes shooting stuff look fun.

Look, the market has been poo poo recently. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I get Gunscape and Guncraft mixed up, and have to check every time to see what's what. Gunscape is the 'it seems slightly better' game, apparently.

I'm pretty sure gunscape is being made by some goons, too. I had fun with it on PC and its seems like its come a long way, but I haven't played it in forever either. And I was really bummed that their kickstarter failed, although seems they got by without it.

Guncraft is definitely the shittier one. Guncraft is minecraft with guns.

Gunscape is more like quake's graphics and doom's level editor simplicity put together. Gunscape also has lots of wolf3d inspired textures :3:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

victrix posted:

Every single one of my kickstarters has delivered a game, some of them really good :shrug:

Caveat Emptor

Yah. Checking my listed of backed games-things (that had a successful campaign) it looks like:

they won't deliver: 1
major disappointment: 1
it's fine: 7
quite good: 7
still unknown: 1

Obviously we're just slinging personal anecdotes around here though. :shrug:

I've contributed to the Overload campaign and I hope they make it, but I'm not surprised they're struggling. The general KS well may or may not be poisoned, but Descent-a-likes have already tapped that particular (pretty niche) nostalgia vein a few times now. The initial buzz of OMG GIVE 6DOF SO OLDSCHOOL has had its day maybe. Also, while Overload's KS pitch is an honest one, it doesn't seem to have an immediate superhook -- generic name, no flashy concept art or amazing mockup video, no crazy gimmick.

The fact that it has more Descent DNA on the development side is nice, although I waffle about how much that actually means. Games are made by entire teams of people and are a product of specific situations. If id software had gotten Carmack and Romero back for the new Doom, it would be a great story, but I'm not sure they'd be in any better position to make a good game.

Anyway... the developer cred thing is interesting but Kulas & Toschlog aren't superstar names to most people, so it's kind of an academic bullet point rather than a KS money fountain. It would be a good part of a better story if they did have the Descent name on their game, as dumb and superficial as that is.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Overload is gonna fail probably and I'm very sad. Descent Underground is loving garbage, but apparently nobody wants an actual Descent from the original devs. gently caress This Gay Earth.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Lemon-Lime posted:

Early 2017? Seriously? But I wants it now!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

victrix posted:

They made half their goal in two weeks, seems pretty respectable to me.

Lemon-Lime posted:

"Procedural generation" and "roguelike progression" mean you can't be bothered to make your own levels. Pass.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 3, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Johnny Law posted:

Anyway... the developer cred thing is interesting but Kulas & Toschlog aren't superstar names to most people, so it's kind of an academic bullet point rather than a KS money fountain. It would be a good part of a better story if they did have the Descent name on their game, as dumb and superficial as that is.

Yeah I should be clear, I didn't back either one :v: Nor whatever that 'MATSUNO SRPG' game was (very much not a Matsuno srpg).

I'm very picky about what I back. It's an investment, however small, so if you want to reap :neckbeard: instead of :saddowns:, you can spend an hour reading up on the team and the concept before you drop :10bux:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Are YOU into, or want to, making doom maps? Do YOU want to take part in the next DUMP? Do YOU want to win internet fame, fortune and the respect of your peers?

WELL HOT drat SWEETHEART, HERES A LINK TO DO SO.

And if nothing else, its upto 47 people already. Raising that number raises TerminusEst13's suffering. :unsmigghh:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Raising that number raises TerminusEst13's suffering. :unsmigghh:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

This looks fun as hell but jesus christ 2017? :psyduck:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Thyrork posted:

Are YOU into, or want to, making doom maps? Do YOU want to take part in the next DUMP? Do YOU want to win internet fame, fortune and the respect of your peers?

And if nothing else, its upto 47 people already. Raising that number raises TerminusEst13's suffering. :unsmigghh:
Y'know, if I can do 32in24 three years in a row (even if my maps aren't really that great), I can probably do this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/705424052358418432?lang=en

So much better

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As a GAF buddy of mine put it (wrt cover B):

https://twitter.com/ColdmanHot/status/705423692562571264

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Its been proven that man holding gun = greater mainstream success.

So I've read.

Read on the internet.

The online internet.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like how the first one looks sinister. I like how the second one looks to be referencing the original while at the same time putting its own take on it. I could take either, to be honest.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I like the first one better to be honest. The second one is nice and would be great if it were fanart, but it being official just makes me think of how Doom 2016 is trying really hard to emulate Doom 1993 while being modern at the same time instead of being its own thing. Honestly I wouldn't even be that upset with the Call of Doomty whatever id was working on before they mothballed it.

Really I'd love a new Doom game, but I want it to be a good game on its own merits (or at the very least, do the actual things Doom did that made it fun) instead of trying to remind me of the Doom I already played. As a friend of mine put it, "Doom's a great game, but it's already out."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wouldn't mind getting choice b wallpaper sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thyrork posted:

I'm doing this, but figure posting there is meaningless until the deadline and having a finished product.