Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

zoux posted:

No this sounds authentic and human.

if he comes out smart and authentic and human, he will win the presidency in 2016. He can easily counter the Donald's fake glitziness with his actual pedigree, that he actually mostly created by himself, unlike Donald. And then there is the hair. The only thing that Donald could attack him on was labor but then he's a Democrat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
hahahahahahaha marco rubio audio book discs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

What's a brokered convention and how would that hurt Trump's chances of being the nominee?

At it's simplest: no candidate has the 2000ish delegates needed to reach the nomination threshold. State delegates are bound to follow the wishes of the state electorate in most cases only on the first ballot, and can defect on subsequent ballots. So if the first ballot has no winner, then the delegates would be released to vote how they want, and since they are likely to be GOP party apparachiks, they can thwart the will of the electorate.

There's a lot more nuance based on differing state rules and dynamics, but that's basically it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

No this sounds authentic and human.

There is that. I fully believe that Willard Romney does not like Trump.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
every morning I wake up and open palm slam a marco rubio audio book disc into the slot

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What's a brokered convention and how would that hurt Trump's chances of being the nominee?

Imagine 15,000 people jumping into the Cuyahoga river, and then an oily slick of hairspray catches fire

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Here is a quick explainer

http://www.vox.com/a/presidential-primaries-2016-republican-democrat/brokered-convention

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Q-sixtysix posted:

if he comes out smart and authentic and human, he will win the presidency in 2016

yeah I imagine he'll be able to do that, his warmness and relatablity were his strongest aspects in 2012.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Quick ultimate reminder that somebody will cause a 'distraction' to prevent Trump from being hosed over at the convention, someone might feint serious illness, or fire off firecrackers, maybe a pistol will be fired into the air if Ohio has open carry.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A second robot has hit Trump Tower

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

zoux posted:

yeah I imagine he'll be able to do that, his warmness and relatablity were his strongest aspects in 2012.

compared to what we have now he's Morgan loving Freeman

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SarahMMimms/status/705461451717222401

Y'all this is extremely poor message discipline.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
David Frum's twitter right now :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Republicans slowly learning social skills.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Romney's speech isn't going to change anyone's mind and isn't meant to. It's appealing to the pro-business small-government "compassionate conservatives" that actually do still exist, in large numbers. They already don't like Trump. Romney and the RNC are giving these people cover to not vote for him.

I honestly think the RNC would rather Trump lose the GE. If he loses, he's out, and he's no longer an albatross around their necks. They regain control of their party and retrench for 2020. I think they know he takes some voters with him, but these were largely disengaged voters already, so they're no worse off than 2012.

They're so spectacularly incompetent though that I could be giving them too much credit. It should be obvious that trump will be he nominee now, so my feeling is that if they were going to fall in line behind him they would be already. Fox is, but nobody else.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nice going, Shitt Romney.

Any polls from Kentucky? That's the first state coming up, right?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Donald J Trump, the 80s rich guy with funny hair, has single-handily destroyed the Republican Party and Conservatism

they deserve worse

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Homer J. Fong posted:

So let's say the Republican Party stops trump from being the nominee. There is no way trump wouldn't run as a third party candidate, right? Is this strictly a lose the battle win the war thing w/ regards to GE?

Isn't a third party run likely not work out for Trump because of state filing deadlines and what not?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

katlington posted:

*nervously peeks through a crack in the curtain, checking no neighbours are in sight*

*whispers into phone,

"trump"

*gently replaces handset on olde timey cradle, rechecking street for suspicious neighbours*

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There is a certain class of scumbag that would rather burn down the city and salt the earth than hand over power. Assad is a great example of one. Now we find out that the same sort run the modern GOP.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huckabee was on Fox yesterday morning trying to rally the party establishment to Trump and chastising them for not respecting the will of the electorate.

Romney just got done trying to rally the party establishment away from Trump and to blatantly ignore the will of the electorate.

This is all very wonderful chaos.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Schnorkles posted:

David Frum posted:

None of this would be happening if we'd let Al Gore win that blinking recount

You ain't lyin'.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

anyway Trump can't attack Romney for begging for a endorsement when he ended up giving it lol

"Mitt is tough, he's sharp, he's smart," Trump said then. What changed?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Zohar posted:

every morning I wake up and open palm slam a marco rubio audio book disc into the slot

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Isn't a third party run likely not work out for Trump because of state filing deadlines and what not?

Remember how we saw with Jeb that Trump will get revenge for a grudge even if it isn't in his best interests? Imagine that but with the entire GOP

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

What's a brokered convention?

A fairy tale where Millions of voters continue to vote for candidates like Rubio even after they've been mathematically eliminated from winning thereby helping the elites stop Trump.

It's not going to happen.

TRUMP!!!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Q-sixtysix posted:

anyway Trump can't attack Romney for begging for a endorsement when he ended up giving it lol

Obviously he isn't very sharp and smart if he's decided to betray the Trump. One can hardly be faulted for another's betrayal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Q-sixtysix posted:

All he has to say is "well, he's better than Obama and I wanted him to win. But now he's shown himself to be a lightweight with poor judgement."

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Shifty Pony posted:

There is a certain class of scumbag that would rather burn down the city and salt the earth than hand over power. Assad is a great example of one. Now we find out that the same sort run the modern GOP.

lol

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PT6A posted:

All he has to say is "well, he's better than Obama and I wanted him to win. But now he's shown himself to be a lightweight with poor judgement."

This right here. It's easy. This will be a non-issue for the Trump campaign.

With all the hype preceding it, probably even a boon.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Zohar posted:

and now I'm drinking the water right with Marco, working up a sweat, telling my Trump jokes

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Schnorkles posted:

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/705439424495149056

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Romney's speech isn't going to change anyone's mind and isn't meant to. It's appealing to the pro-business small-government "compassionate conservatives" that actually do still exist, in large numbers. They already don't like Trump. Romney and the RNC are giving these people cover to not vote for him.

I honestly think the RNC would rather Trump lose the GE. If he loses, he's out, and he's no longer an albatross around their necks. They regain control of their party and retrench for 2020. I think they know he takes some voters with him, but these were largely disengaged voters already, so they're no worse off than 2012.

They're so spectacularly incompetent though that I could be giving them too much credit. It should be obvious that trump will be he nominee now, so my feeling is that if they were going to fall in line behind him they would be already. Fox is, but nobody else.

Agreed 100%. They're flailing around because they have no strategy and a serious lack of strategic thinking. They've hollowed out their brain trust (assuming you believe they ever had one) and now they're still just unskewing those polls. I mean how the gently caress do you not do opp research against the entire field?

"If literally everything goes right and the attitude of the public remains frozen then we can maybe, maybe, with the grace of God, stop an orange clown man" - the best strategy the GOPe can come up with.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Carson On Romney's Big Anti-Trump Speech: 'I Don't See How That's Helpful'

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/carson-romney-trump-criticism-unhelpful

quote:

Dr. Ben Carson said Thursday that it wasn't "helpful" for former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney to devote an entire speech to criticizing GOP frontrunner Donald Trump.

"I don't think it is the proper place for somebody which is the former standard bearer to be criticizing the leading contender at this time in such a negative way," Carson said in a live interview with Yahoo! News. "I don't see how that's helpful."

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Q-sixtysix posted:

Mitt's firmware has been upgraded over the years and it isn't as sharp or smart. :mitt:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

PT6A posted:

"For the last eight years Ive been (shows his resume which is hopefully full of non racist decent business dealings that havent offended any heads of state or the pope)"

Trump calling someone a lightweight with poor judgment would be the same as him standing in traffic and begging to be hit

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You're probably right but come 2020 the Trump voters will be back and even angrier than before, if they don't find a way to actually address their concerns and instead try throwing Romney-like candidates at them again they're hosed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the republican party is in flames and Ben Carson is just standing there in the middle of the conflagration, smiling kind of vacantly to himself

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Live stream of Trump rally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lybr4EPkZRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

MaxxBot posted:

You're probably right but come 2020 the Trump voters will be back and even angrier than before, if they don't find a way to actually address their concerns and instead try throwing Romney-like candidates at them again they're hosed.

how does one "address their concerns" without promising the system of government from judge dredd

• Locked thread