Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

BlueKingBar posted:

I know this is a thread about pixel art, but it's still retro graphics-related so I'll fire. Are there any good guides on making lo-fi 3D stuff? I'm talking like, Sega Model 2 or 3 era stuff (think a little lower-poly than a Dreamcast game).

You might want to try asking in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877226&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Pixel art and low poly models are like apples and hedgehogs, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Another level... almost done :)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sophism posted:

Pixel art and low poly models are like apples and hedgehogs, really.

They've got more in common than you think.

e: here's some more because I forgot how many of these I did

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 29, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Babe Magnet posted:

They've got more in common than you think.

I'd say that has mostly to do with the texturing style you pick.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They're both a once necessary art style due to technology limitations that's nowadays done mostly as a stylistic choice to appeal to nostalgia or minimalism.

But yeah it's mostly in the texture. 3D Pixel art loving owns.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I think 3D pixel art is kind of the "new wave" of the genre. It's been around for awhile, but seeing major indie successes like Devil Daggers use it is going to propel the medium into the spotlight in the coming years.

It's a hybrid of ultra-low poly and pixel art and I don't see any reason we couldn't discuss at least the texture mapping aspects of it in this thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's why I initially posted just textures I've done. I'm super into texture mapping, especially low resolution/pixel art stuff.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

They're both a once necessary art style due to technology limitations that's nowadays done mostly as a stylistic choice to appeal to nostalgia or minimalism.

But yeah it's mostly in the texture. 3D Pixel art loving owns.

This looks really interesting, probably a dumb question but how would you go abouy making something like that, ensuring the pieces fit, etc?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chipp Zanuff posted:

This looks really interesting, probably a dumb question but how would you go abouy making something like that, ensuring the pieces fit, etc?

It's really just using low-poly models with low-resolution textures (128x128 is tiny in terms of 3D texture mapping). If you know how to do 3D modeling, animating, and texture mapping, you can make something like that fairly easily.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Vermain posted:

It's really just using low-poly models with low-resolution textures (128x128 is tiny in terms of 3D texture mapping). If you know how to do 3D modeling, animating, and texture mapping, you can make something like that fairly easily.

After you fight with your 3D program to turn off all the blur distortions on your textures. :v:

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

SystemLogoff posted:

After you fight with your 3D program to turn off all the blur distortions on your textures. :v:

I'm not a big fan of Unreal Engine 4 otherwise, but I gotta admit I'm pleasantly surprised that they included this option and showcased it in their samples for 2D stuff.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

They also persist because they take less time and money to create than AAA level graphics.

How long does it take to make a pixel art hammer? How long does it take to make a low poly 3D hammer and skin it? Now make the hammer high poly and go for AAA-level visuals.

Pixel art is, last I heard, also pretty big on mobile because the screens are so restrictive in size. When you're working with 300x200 resolution every pixel matters.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Honestly, outside of AAA games, I'm glad that people are finally starting to value aesthetics more than sticking advanced shaders and huge numbers of polygons on everything. Doubly so because I'm poor and I play games on a laptop. Indie gaming, digital platforms like Steam, and mobile development have helped with that a lot from what I can tell.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

SystemLogoff posted:

I'd love to do more 3D texturing and try my hand at doing pixel art texturing. But I've been using Blender mostly and I really hate it especially for texturing. Is there any other free (or inexpensive) 3D program anyone could recommend?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BlueKingBar posted:

Honestly, outside of AAA games, I'm glad that people are finally starting to value aesthetics more than sticking advanced shaders and huge numbers of polygons on everything. Doubly so because I'm poor and I play games on a laptop. Indie gaming, digital platforms like Steam, and mobile development have helped with that a lot from what I can tell.

That ultimately happened because there's only so far you can take "WE USE THE BEST TECHNOLOGY!!!!" marketing. Look at when 3D graphics first came out. Absolutely everything had to be 3D even though a poo poo load of 3D games of that era were unforgivably ugly. Gorgeous, gorgeous pixel art games even happened on the freaking NES which had severe technical limitations.

It also just got continually more expensive to dazzle everybody with fancier 3D graphics than last year. It also turned out that people are willing to pay for games with "meh" 2D graphics so long as the gameplay is fun. Who knew?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pixel art is, last I heard, also pretty big on mobile because the screens are so restrictive in size. When you're working with 300x200 resolution every pixel matters.
It's kind of a double-edged sword because it's much harder to make pixel art scale nice on all the mobile viewports there are out there than high-res art.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

BlueKingBar posted:

I'm not a big fan of Unreal Engine 4 otherwise, but I gotta admit I'm pleasantly surprised that they included this option and showcased it in their samples for 2D stuff.

https://vine.co/v/eBzAZIHJ6tb

;)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Another level... almost done :)

I can hear the earth rumble in that gif, nice job with the juice.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

I am working on "a thing"

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Old Man Mozz posted:

I am working on "a thing"

Those look 100% professional. Awesome work.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someone asked me what my rates are. I never figured em out! :sweatdrop:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Shoehead posted:

Someone asked me what my rates are. I never figured em out! :sweatdrop:

Figure out an hourly wage you'd like to have (like say, $10 an hour) then work out how long it took you to do something (like, as a weird and probably incorrect estimate, a character spritesheet took you a total of 5 hours). Multiply one by the other and you've got a basis for coming up with a good rate: in this case, fifty bucks for making a character spritesheet.

Then basically just extrapolate from there, and remember not to undersell yourself.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Set an hourly rate for commercial/corporate work. If you are offering work to an indie or someone you know can't pay the full rate you can provide a discount, but you should still show what the regular charge is, THEN apply the discount. Personally I don't flatrate anything. Every client wants something custom, every client is going to ask for changes. If they can't pay me hourly then they are probably wasting both my own time and theirs.

I got a new plane done. It's largely inspired by the Super Tucano. I'm not happy with the character standing next to it yet. Her upper torso is wrong and I should probably simplify the hands to leave less pixel noise.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thank you guys!

Someone has me doing test sprites atm

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Scut posted:

Set an hourly rate for commercial/corporate work. If you are offering work to an indie or someone you know can't pay the full rate you can provide a discount, but you should still show what the regular charge is, THEN apply the discount. Personally I don't flatrate anything. Every client wants something custom, every client is going to ask for changes. If they can't pay me hourly then they are probably wasting both my own time and theirs.

I got a new plane done. It's largely inspired by the Super Tucano. I'm not happy with the character standing next to it yet. Her upper torso is wrong and I should probably simplify the hands to leave less pixel noise.

If you ask me, her neck is way too long. Look at where her chin is compared to where her shoulders meet her body.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Scut posted:

Personally I don't flatrate anything. Every client wants something custom, every client is going to ask for changes. If they can't pay me hourly then they are probably wasting both my own time and theirs.

Agreed on not flat rating - flat rate makes it a you vs them situation (you want to get it done as quickly as possible to maximise your profit, they want it done as well as possible to get the most value for their money.)

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Scut posted:

The plane's got nice chunky outlines, but the character has a much softer pastell-ish palette, and few dark outlines, especially against the sky. The plane really pops, the pilot, not so much. Maybe use the plane's color for the flight suit?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Scut posted:

I feel like the propeller's hub cap is shifted left a few pixels (it looks like it's pressed against the starboard side of the plane's nose rather than being centered). Is that on purpose?

Agreed that the character's neck is too long. I feel like her body should be bigger, leaving the head in place so that the body comes up to meet it - I know "big head, little body" is your style, but right now she looks like a bobblehead that's about to tip over.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Been trying super hard to get back into the groove without any kind of caffeine. It's really slow going atm :sweatdrop:

Doing tiles based off the Lego Monster Fighters haunted house, I might actually do some more sets based off Lego buildings because it's really easy to see the line between it's construction and modular tiles. Also its a really loving cool set!

I really need to add some shading later to it to really make it look dark and spooky, but atm I'm just glad to be able to say I worked on something..

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

I got around to doing another devlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzMA9gg8SoU

I feel like I'm getting better at editing myself, though I sometimes do almost trip over my words...

Man, I really feel burned out on solo dev. Would love to do a collab in the future...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Aneurexorcyst posted:

I got around to doing another devlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzMA9gg8SoU

I feel like I'm getting better at editing myself, though I sometimes do almost trip over my words...

Man, I really feel burned out on solo dev. Would love to do a collab in the future...

My, wherever will you find artisttssss?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Aneurexorcyst posted:

I just want to say your game flow is quite solid, it's extremely fluid and your soundwork truly gives your games a lot of strong OMPH. Your screenshots don't really do it justice.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Shoehead posted:

My, wherever will you find artisttssss?

Whenever I see anyone doing awesome work, I just assume that they're too busy...

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I just want to say your game flow is quite solid, it's extremely fluid and your soundwork truly gives your games a lot of strong OMPH. Your screenshots don't really do it justice.

Thanks! And yeah, screenshots really don't do much for the game unfortunately.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I'm trying my hand a bit more seriously at pixel art right now (last time I did anything in that direction seriously beyond some paint doodles was the 90s and I was not exactly good at it) and I'm wondering which programs people here use and why. I've been using the tools I've known from back then (DPaint, Brilliance .. stumbled over grafx2 which I also really like because it feels similar to Brilliance) and they still feel fairly comfortable to me. How wrong am I?

Also am I the only one not putting things pixel by pixel but just sketching them roughly with the mouse and then filling and tweaking the details in? Somehow it feels wrong to do it that way but I can't really imagine doing it differently.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Police Automaton posted:

I'm trying my hand a bit more seriously at pixel art right now (last time I did anything in that direction seriously beyond some paint doodles was the 90s and I was not exactly good at it) and I'm wondering which programs people here use and why. I've been using the tools I've known from back then (DPaint, Brilliance .. stumbled over grafx2 which I also really like because it feels similar to Brilliance) and they still feel fairly comfortable to me. How wrong am I?

Also am I the only one not putting things pixel by pixel but just sketching them roughly with the mouse and then filling and tweaking the details in? Somehow it feels wrong to do it that way but I can't really imagine doing it differently.

You're super wrong and indeed the only one.

Nah, actually whatever tool works for you is cool! I use PhotoShop, not because it's especially good for pixel art but I'm used to working w it. And I don't think anyone actually places EVERY pixel one by one. I mean I'm not gonna put down 64 single pixels to create a tile when I can just draw rectangle, if I'm drawing a sprite I might do a rough sketch of a shape and hack out the edges and go in there to fill out the details, or whatever. It's all good!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Police Automaton posted:

I use GraphicsGale. It's free and gets the job done.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

I have a good gif timelapse of someone making a really nice pixel art that way, I'll hopefully remember to post it when i get home.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I use Aseprite, and I also have swankypaint, which is a Dpaint clone with all the shortcuts that you may remember (or not!)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Tried other programmes, but still use graphics gale here. Can't find any other programme with the same functionality or ease of access (paid version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I use Gimp and a wacom tablet. I'm planning a shift to Aseprite eventually. If you are not fixed on a program I would recommend you try Aseprite. If you plan on doing a lot of tiling work I highly recommend Pyxel Edit.