Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Drad_Bert posted:

Don't be willfully dense

It took me a lot longer to figure it out at first, too. First thought was totally "spotlight". :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

zoux posted:

White hood.

Ohhhh, thank you. I guess it looked like a beam of light since you can't see the tip.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mister Beeg posted:

Another cartoon on Scalia, done by Terry LaBan

Where where?

(How do people still get that wrong? This is one of those things that's eventually going to be accepted as part of the language, like literally meaning literally the opposite of what it means.)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Xenoveritas posted:

Where where?

(How do people still get that wrong? This is one of those things that's eventually going to be accepted as part of the language, like literally meaning literally the opposite of what it means.)

I thought it was a joke about senators voting "present." :shrug:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure the dude is supposed to be holding a shovel and is getting ready to practice some necromancy. But I'm not sure.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And really, who can blame them? Everyone knows sowing dragon's teeth is supposed to grow a skeleton army. A Ray Harryhausen Cartoon Tweet

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ardeem posted:

I thought it was a joke about senators voting "present." :shrug:

They call it that because voting "present" is a gift to the other side.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Last July, a Palestinian home in the West Bank was set on fire by extremist settlers, killing 3 of the 4 inside. 18 month old Ali, and his parents Saad and Reham. Ali burned alive at the scene. Saad and Reham succumbed to their injuries within a few weeks. The only survivor was his brother, 4 year old Ahmad, who suffered severe burns over 60% of his body. This photo came out a few days ago, which shows Ahmad, who is still in treatment, looking at a picture of his family.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

And really, who can blame them? Everyone knows sowing dragon's teeth is supposed to grow a skeleton army. A Ray Harryhausen Cartoon Tweet

Cheesy movie reference aside, you've kind of got a point. Growing an army from dragon's teeth is an established myth, but who ever heard of growing any creature by planting teeth from the creature? A dragon from dragon's teeth would be a surprise. It's still a good metaphor for Trump, but it doesn't fit with the implication that they should have seen it coming.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

prefect posted:

It took me a lot longer to figure it out at first, too. First thought was totally "spotlight". :shrug:

Oh good it wasn't just me. I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to make the leap from Trump to the Oscars

e: nvm on other edit, it's all good~

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Volkerball posted:

Last July, a Palestinian home in the West Bank was set on fire by extremist settlers, killing 3 of the 4 inside. 18 month old Ali, and his parents Saad and Reham. Ali burned alive at the scene. Saad and Reham succumbed to their injuries within a few weeks. The only survivor was his brother, 4 year old Ahmad, who suffered severe burns over 60% of his body. This photo came out a few days ago, which shows Ahmad, who is still in treatment, looking at a picture of his family.

Israel is basically hitler version 2.0

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

prefect posted:

I thought, "new Pink Floyd album cover looking bad."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm really amazed how entrenched the GOP are in their hatred that being grateful the president was aiding your state after a loving disaster means you are "smitten" with him.

It's worse than that. Sandy happened in October 2012. A lot of them think Romney would have won, and Christie gave the election away by working with Obama and helping him look "presidential." I guess he should have deployed the National Guard to the border and kept the president out, so he couldn't get any photo ops of helping people and saving lives (which he only did for votes anyway).

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xenoveritas posted:

Where where?

God forbid.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Uh huh, the same folks. Yup.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Real Name Grover posted:

Uh huh, the same folks. Yup.

When he was in school, wasn't Nixon president?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

So when Trump wins the nomination I'm assuming you'll be voting Democrat then Lester

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

loquacius posted:

So when Trump wins the nomination I'm assuming you'll be voting Democrat then Lester

I'm surprised that Lester isn't one of Trumps biggest fanboys, truth be told.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I'm sorry but how the gently caress is he still on this.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
He probably does all of them in a day so he can drink himself to sleep the other six

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

eviltastic posted:

Didn't know anything about Tom Lea until today. Thanks for posting that and getting me to reverse-GIS it.
(but you might want to rehost that jpeg)
You're welcome, I actually went to a Tom Lea art gallery that was part of the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg. It was absolutely fascinating seeing the stuff he drew/painted.

The rules for rehosting have been relaxed a little bit, linking from Wikipedia and Tumblr is okay since their bandwidth is loving huge and SA is no longer near as large as it used to be. Non-Wikipedia/Tumblr stuff I always rehost though.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 3, 2016

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm sorry but how the gently caress is he still on this.

Because there is nobody more easily offended than those who complain about the "culture of offense."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As insane as they are, the McCoys, Lesters and Ramirezes of the world know the mainstream Republicans pay their check. I think it's only Branco and Garrison that have come out as full-blown Trump supporters.

I still have no idea if the mainstreams will cover their nose and go all in with Trump or if they'll try to get Rubio in through a split convention. If the former happens, you'll surely start seeing the mainstream cartoonists portraying Trump in a positive light.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

seiferguy posted:

As insane as they are, the McCoys, Lesters and Ramirezes of the world know the mainstream Republicans pay their check. I think it's only Branco and Garrison that have come out as full-blown Trump supporters.

I still have no idea if the mainstreams will cover their nose and go all in with Trump or if they'll try to get Rubio in through a split convention. If the former happens, you'll surely start seeing the mainstream cartoonists portraying Trump in a positive light.

I hope the latter though because it would be amazing and terrible :allears:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
gently caress it, have some more Tom Lea stuff, because god knows this thread needs to see some actual talent once in a while.
http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/news-events/tom-leas-war/
http://joesouthpeleliu.homestead.com/PeleliuArt.html

One of the very interesting things at that gallery was that they had the original sketch for the Two-Thousand Yard Stare painting; it took a little searching but I found it:

Some of Lea's best work is good, but decidedly :nws:, like "The Price":
http://i.imgur.com/HihSsM0.jpg

or "Sundown at Peleliu":
http://i.imgur.com/WEFP4zs.jpg

Then there's spectacular, safe-for-work stuff like "This is Sad Sack Calling Charlie Blue":

All the lovely "cartoonists" like Ramirez, Branco, Lester, Kirschen, Rall, etc should be loving ashamed at their lovely skills compared to a master like this dude, is what I'm saying.

E: And here's an imgur rehost of 2000 Yard Stare, because why not:
http://i.imgur.com/UisnjKh.jpg

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 3, 2016

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

While you're down there, Stantis And Allie Cosplaying As A Girl Of Color, you might want to also ask yourself why exactly Trump's message resonates with so much of the GOP grunting rank-and-file.

"Obama's fault" is not an acceptable answer.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

It took me entirely too long to realize the message of this cartoon is: "Government shouldn't spend the money they collect in taxes."

Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Internet Webguy posted:

It took me entirely too long to realize the message of this cartoon is: "Government shouldn't spend the money they collect in taxes."

I took it more as demanding a sense of discipline. I mean the dog does eventually get the biscuit. It just needs to learn patience.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

SEE!@? the GOVERNMENT SPENDS MONEYYY!!!!! But the poors are still poor checkmate atheists

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I think these posters kind of count as political cartoons.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/presidential-posters

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Webguy posted:

The answer is to keep the tax income, but not spend it and instead use the national debt

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

"If you look at the results of this longitudinal study on three-year-olds you will find that there is strong evidence that a preference for certain "gendered" toys is a result of socialization and societal influence and also that government spending will end poverty in 10 years."

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 3, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

prefect posted:

I think these posters kind of count as political cartoons.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/presidential-posters

The Cruz and Rubio ones, :sbahj:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

1 I love all of these. But especially Cruz.
3 Dog on roof is back! :getin:
5 Um....yes?
7 Outside of Joe Liccar, I can't think of anyone who so consistently turns out such aesthetically ugly work.
8 The Cutest Christie
13 This one is actually pretty great.

The Copper Kaiser
Sep 6, 2010

I am a high-iq mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy that characterizes my species!

It's quite telling that "moderate" conservatives are put off by Trumps awful persona and not his actual insane and racist ideas.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

colonel_korn posted:

1 I love all of these. But especially Cruz.

Man, wtf is going on with Kasich's face? He's kind of a generic looking dude but drat

I love that Rubio though, he looks like a Backyard Football character

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Wait dog treat on nose in two cartoons? Did something happen with that lately?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Birthday principle, there are only so many visual metaphors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

6 Um....yes?

Holy gently caress. Mitt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwLMUkkyXPo

This is why I no longer watch the evening news, I become this: