Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Does spellcrafting allow fusing other spells like firaga + rain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MohShuvuu posted:

Yep. So once you've got black mage it practically replaces Wizard because of that.

Wizard's a really good class though. Super essential and useful in the early game and quickly unlocks all the elements and then once it gets outclassed in pure power by the other offensive classes, spellcrafting is still really good and it alone is a big incentive to keep using it (at least to level it up). It's very well designed.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 3, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MohShuvuu posted:

No. I don't think it's amazing offensively other than maybe Dart because it gives you another ~25% damage when you use it and maybe Rain on single targets. It's extremely good defensively and allows you to group cast single target spells like Raise or get full heals every turn, raises every turn if you're getting 1HKO'd and such.

e: I mixed up what you were saying, I thought you meant Spirit Magic's Fire move and Firaga. You can Firaga Rain yeah.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 3, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Does Ringabel even make an appearance in this game, or is it boring turd Alternis?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They have better INT than Black Mage/Summoner, yeah, but then you're stuck with Spirit Magic in your primary ability slot which is just weak so you're limited with regards to your second slot. I'd rather have Black Magic or Summon as primary and then slot in anything else in the second, like White Magic, Holy Magic, Exorcism, whatever else really and take Spellcrafting as an ability.

e: I'm not actually sure if Freelancer retains the "better based on how many mastered jobs" from BD 1 and Second's demo actually.

Wizard allows you to hit Earth, Light, and Wind weaknesses that Black Magic can't which can be useful, though I won't deny it drops off. Freeing up those 2 ability slots is well worth sacrificing that command slot, because I've got excellent and more than enough utility elsewhere and the Black Mage and Summoner passives are trash, and if need really be, Mist Amaterasu is just as good as Mist Benediction, plus Charbydis can debuff the enemy. Summoning is a perfectly fine solo Command.

I don't think it's amazing offensively other than maybe Dart because it gives you another ~25% damage when you use it and maybe Rain on single targets.
Hammer is incredibly powerful. Most enemies and bosses in the game have lower P.def than M.def., and it can crit.

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 3, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Isn't Dart a net DPS decrease? You burn an extra brave point for 50% more damage which comes out at two attacks which only have 75% power.

Looking at the classes though, I think you're probably going to have to be reliant on a performer/freelancer for a battery, unless you want to try a haste world strategy since they completely neutered BP recovery. What's inconvenient is that you can't then have your healer sit as your support character the way you could last time. Which means no mass reraise to hedge against disasters.

Means party structure probably has to look like Offensive Physical/Offensive Magical/Healer Support/BP support.

At a guess, Pirate/Swordmaster - Spellcraft Summoner/Time Mage - Spellcraft Bishop/Astrologian - Performer/Freelancer. Astrologian is there because if you can spellcraft 150% magic power on top of performer buffs for example then it's going to be completely bonkers.

With all of that said I assume Valkyrie has the same midgame dominance fading into a lategame dropoff, so I'm probably going to favour Einheria when I meet her just to make the game easy and settle into a lategame strategy when I see Valk beginning to fail.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Does Ringabel even make an appearance in this game, or is it boring turd Alternis?

Alternis is good because he's a loser who's not very smart and the game treats him as such so it's cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terper posted:

Wizard allows you to hit Earth, Light, and Wind weaknesses that Black Magic can't which can be useful, though I won't deny it drops off. Freeing up those 2 ability slots is well worth sacrificing that command slot, because I've got excellent and more than enough utility elsewhere and the Black Mage and Summoner passives are trash, and if need really be, Mist Amaterasu is just as good as Mist Benediction, plus Charbydis can debuff the enemy. Summoning is a perfectly fine solo Command.

Hammer is incredibly powerful. Most enemies and bosses in the game have lower P.def than M.def., and it can crit.

You can generally brute force past Earth, Light and Wind with Black Mage though. The low potency of Wizard attacks doesn't help you much in that sense.

Amaterasu is 60mp before mist while Benediction is 24 before mist. It's not a guaranteed (just very likely) full heal either so it's just inferior. Holy Magic also gives you Stillness from Default. Not that Summoning sucks, it's just not that good for my money, especially considering the higher cost of it for what it does compared to other things that do similar things.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Isn't Dart a net DPS decrease? You burn an extra brave point for 50% more damage which comes out at two attacks which only have 75% power.

Looking at the classes though, I think you're probably going to have to be reliant on a performer/freelancer for a battery, unless you want to try a haste world strategy since they completely neutered BP recovery. What's inconvenient is that you can't then have your healer sit as your support character the way you could last time. Which means no mass reraise to hedge against disasters.

Means party structure probably has to look like Offensive Physical/Offensive Magical/Healer Support/BP support.

At a guess, Pirate/Swordmaster - Spellcraft Summoner/Time Mage - Spellcraft Bishop/Astrologian - Performer/Freelancer. Astrologian is there because if you can spellcraft 150% magic power on top of performer buffs for example then it's going to be completely bonkers.

With all of that said I assume Valkyrie has the same midgame dominance fading into a lategame dropoff, so I'm probably going to favour Einheria when I meet her just to make the game easy and settle into a lategame strategy when I see Valk beginning to fail.

Use Dart like Ninja's Shippu. Snipe kill an enemy mook or monster before it uses something really annoying. There's a lot of enemies who seem to game the system and kill the only person who isn't defaulting on a turn or whatever when they shouldn't rightly know that. Having a Dart/Shippu kill an enemy before they use death for example is good.

Swordmaster's skillset is lovely, other than Free Lunch but you can just use Mimic for the "free" Amped Strikes if you want them. I'd take even something like Halfsies over the rest of the Swordmaster skills. I wouldn't put Swordmaster anywhere near my end game team, especially when I can Undo MP costs.

I'd also reverse the order of Bishop/Astrologian because Astro gets guaranteed first move on buffs as its passive and I'm like 90% sure it applies to Stillness/Calm. With Group-Cast All passives, Astros buffs are full party guaranteed first move too. I'm not saying they're better than performer buffs but they hold up well against it. Good Measure's not an amazing skill and gives you less control over your BP than you'd maybe like, though it can come in handy, I don't think it's worth sacrificing the guaranteed first of Astro.

Exorcism probably has a role to play in endgame strategies too. Undo MP, HP and BP are all extremely good with Undo Trois equipped. Have your main attacker brave from +3 to -4 over two turns and have your Exorcist give them the +3 straight back, while having a performer give the Exorcist some more BP sparsely to keep that going.

Late game asterisk thing:
There's a very specific asterisk (third to last you can get) whose passive ability seems to either not work or is worded poorly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Swordmasters counters are good because they also greatly lessen damage when you use them so if you use it in a chain of other attacks it can save your rear end from an attack that you'd otherwise need default to survive (which would cost your turn in attacking) while also dealing good damage. Not really something you'd use in a game-breaking set up but I used it right through to the endgame of BD and it served me well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't want to spoiler tag in that post because someone might want to quote it and they'd get spoiled, nor want double post, so I was being intentionally vague but what I'm referring to as broken is:

The Kaiser asterisk's Cerberus passive.

"After every battle, your HP, MP, and status will return to their pre-battle states.

*K.O. and other statuses potentially leading to game over will also return."

The way I interpret this is if Yew has 100HP and 10MP before the fight, gets hit for 20HP and uses 5MP leaving him with 80HP and 5MP at the end of the fight, he should have 100HP and 10MP when you're back on the world map, however, he has 80HP and 5MP. This isn't after chaining a fight or anything either. Just seems broken or useless.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, finished this, and I must say..

This game has probably the worst story of any jRPG i've played in my life. The cheese.. the tropes.. the anime... the localization makes it 10 times worse. How many cutscenes are there in the game specifically devoted to how much the characters like food?

Gameplay is similar to the first, which is a plus, but I feel like it's way too easy unless you play on hard. Even then, only certain fights are anything but a pushover. I think the only times I died in the entire game were against the Hunter asterisk wielder due to her multiburst being bullshit, and to Gluttony due to status change spam. Most of the jobs are useless even for combo potential, and some are completely OP, the biggest offender of the latter being Ninja. Overall, the gameplay makes it worth playing, but the first one is superior in every single way, despite having fewer jobs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

How many cutscenes are there in the game specifically devoted to how much the characters like food?

I've not finished it but I'm near the end and while I've played enough lovely forgettable JRPGs to say this isn't the worst of the worst story, this part is definitely something that's too prevalent.

If Second is a sign of things to come, I'd like Edea to sit out of party duties in Bravely Third should it happen. She's not very funny or interesting in this game and is kind of a dick to people for no reason a little too often. Considering Default basically straight up says "Tiz is the player avatar", him being generic is more acceptable than "I mrgrgr a bunch and talk about food".

Naturally, they're never keeping Edea out of a Bravely Third. And I do like Mrgrgr.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I mean, the Bravely games have great stories, they just feature characters with cliched attributes that are either endearing, obnoxious or both.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ungulateman posted:

I mean, the Bravely games have great stories, they just feature characters with cliched attributes that are either endearing, obnoxious or both.

Predictable, contrived, repetitive are all appropriate words in this case, especially with regards to the side quests. Most of the scenarios don't even make a lick of sense, and it feels like the writer(s) are just trying too hard to create a conflict between two characters in almost every instance. There is way too much reliance on sub-optimally executed fourth wall gimmicks, and poor integration of story lines from the first game (eg, the fairy kinship thing). It's really Deus ex Machina the video game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime and tropes are good

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, sometimes. I think the issue I have here is that if I were play a "Tales of" game for example, I would expect the anime and tropes to play out as they usually do. This game tries to emulate that sporadically, and it ends up feeling extra cheesy. For example, the fox/tent scenes, of which there aren't even that many, just appear to be bad attempts at doing skits.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The final boss is a dirty loving cheater :negative:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Terper posted:

The final boss is a dirty loving cheater :negative:

This is a Bravely game.

Be a dirty cheater right back.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

You can generally brute force past Earth, Light and Wind with Black Mage though. The low potency of Wizard attacks doesn't help you much in that sense.

Amaterasu is 60mp before mist while Benediction is 24 before mist. It's not a guaranteed (just very likely) full heal either so it's just inferior. Holy Magic also gives you Stillness from Default. Not that Summoning sucks, it's just not that good for my money, especially considering the higher cost of it for what it does compared to other things that do similar things.

Summoning is /really/ strong for random encounters since you can easily screenwipe a pack in about two summons. If you're packing red or black mage as a the sub job you can gain back a tonne of mana using aspir to make it viable.

quote:

Use Dart like Ninja's Shippu. Snipe kill an enemy mook or monster before it uses something really annoying. There's a lot of enemies who seem to game the system and kill the only person who isn't defaulting on a turn or whatever when they shouldn't rightly know that. Having a Dart/Shippu kill an enemy before they use death for example is good.

Yeah, I was just confused when someone said it was a damage increase

quote:

Swordmaster's skillset is lovely, other than Free Lunch but you can just use Mimic for the "free" Amped Strikes if you want them. I'd take even something like Halfsies over the rest of the Swordmaster skills. I wouldn't put Swordmaster anywhere near my end game team, especially when I can Undo MP costs.

In the original, the calculus was that Mimicing Amped strikes wasn't very good because in two turns you'd guzzle all your MP and need a resupply. This meant basically gorging on turbo ethers during a boss fight or just not doing it. What I've seen of Exorcist is crazy, since Undo MP is basically a targetted free lunch. So yeah, in second I'd agree with you, Pirate/Freelancer is the way to go.

Spoilers for mid chapter 1: Notably pretty useful to know since I just had to choose between Samurai and Summoner

quote:

I'd also reverse the order of Bishop/Astrologian because Astro gets guaranteed first move on buffs as its passive and I'm like 90% sure it applies to Stillness/Calm. With Group-Cast All passives, Astros buffs are full party guaranteed first move too. I'm not saying they're better than performer buffs but they hold up well against it. Good Measure's not an amazing skill and gives you less control over your BP than you'd maybe like, though it can come in handy, I don't think it's worth sacrificing the guaranteed first of Astro.

I'm not really set in stone on what the healer support role even begins to look like. Bishop seems great, but white mage has super arise which looks completely hilarious.

quote:

Exorcism probably has a role to play in endgame strategies too. Undo MP, HP and BP are all extremely good with Undo Trois equipped. Have your main attacker brave from +3 to -4 over two turns and have your Exorcist give them the +3 straight back, while having a performer give the Exorcist some more BP sparsely to keep that going.

Yeah Exorcist seems really stupid. Being able to undo MP costs is huge and basically makes them unstoppable as long as you keep dumping BP into them with a battery.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And that's the game beaten! I loved it, it made me laugh a lot, and I had a huge smile on my face as the credits rolled, which is basically the deciding factor for when I determine if a game is good or not. It's an incredibly silly, cheesy game and I love it for that - that's what Bravely Default did best. The sound quality and the music was worse than BD, and I'm sad that there were no superbosses against all the different Asterisk Holders, so there are no real good fights to test yourself against with different teams. Basically everything else was better than BD though. Yeah, it's basically Bravely Default 1.5, but there were a lot of things in BD I wanted to have expanded and they did that.

Some more spoilery thoughts for the whole game's story:
The Plague, the Orthodoxy, and all that history is my favorite part of BD lore and I love that they went more into its origins, how basically everything comes back to it and Foundar and Griede. Geist was my favorite character precisely because of this. Altair was also really fun and his voice was incredibly charming. I would have liked the love story between Yew and Magnolia to have been more expanded upon - it started off strong, but then it kinda meandered after the scene at Sagitta, and we didn't get any resolution until the credits. That said, I am an absolute sucker for the Power of Love and Friendship and I love that Love was such a big thing in this game for everyone involved. It's very passionate and easy to get involved with people who act out of love, and that's why the antagonists were also such fun; unlike the first game, where they were all basically nice people who just refused to talk it out (and some rotten eggs), all the antagonists here are "bad", but they had their love broken by the Orthodoxy and the Plague and I can buy into their motivations and their resolutions. The antagonists were a much bigger part of the story as well.

Anne and Providence were fine, if a bit... business as usual? They expanded on the Celestial Realm and the more meta-aspects of the first game which was appreciated. I did feel that the Ba'al were really underutilized though. Once again, the developed human antagonists are way better than the last minute demonic villains. Ouroboros was better than Providence, Anne was better than Airy.

Yew was a great protagonist. Really sweet and caring and did everything with gravy gusto, and his voice actor was excellent at being this really rather heroic dweeb. Again, I would have liked to have had more scenes of his growing love for Magnolia in the later parts of the game.

Magnolia, much like the Ba'als, felt underutilized. She had a strong early showing, but she needed something more, a bit more... je ne sais quoi. The poor sound quality was really apparent with her voice which also meant listening to her could hurt a bit, which is a shame.

Edea is great and I love her. All hail the Grand Marshal of Eternia. Just like the first game, she was basically more of a second lead than the second lead was. She finished her arc from the first game and it's nice to see that she really did come to love Ringabel.

Tiz is a lot more chill, and Papenbrook does a good job of bringing that out. Just like the first game, he's a character who sticks to the background for the most part and puts in a nice word or two when people need it. But he's not the protagonist this time around, so it works better. He's just a chill dude making vegetable chili with Altair. Great to see that he and Agnès finally got together.

It's good/10

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh snap another 4 outfits to buy in Chapter 6.

... just under 1 million each. :negative:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

Yeah, sometimes. I think the issue I have here is that if I were play a "Tales of" game for example, I would expect the anime and tropes to play out as they usually do. This game tries to emulate that sporadically, and it ends up feeling extra cheesy. For example, the fox/tent scenes, of which there aren't even that many, just appear to be bad attempts at doing skits.

The Bravely games are at their best when being silly and cheesy, and the main group at least are the best written when they're just doing silly nonsense. Which is why party chat and the tent scenes are really good. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Updated the album I made for the buyable outfits, cost and location to include the 4 new ones I found. I've made the location of these (presumably, hopefully) last ones vague but you won't miss their location when you get there.

http://imgur.com/a/A3Gk1

One of the names is almost certainly a mistranslation or a poor one.
It's an outfit from Default that was called "Edea's Garb" called "Vestal Garb" in this one.

I went back to Default to check that quickly and drat, the UI in that game looks pretty rough compared to Second's. Surprisingly so.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Updated the album I made for the buyable outfits, cost and location to include the 4 new ones I found. I've made the location of these (presumably, hopefully) last ones vague but you won't miss their location when you get there.

It's an outfit from Default that was called "Edea's Garb" called "Vestal Garb" in this one.

I went back to Default to check that quickly and drat, the UI in that game looks pretty rough compared to Second's. Surprisingly so.

So preordering the game on the eShop basically just gave you costumes you unlock eventually anyway. Sometimes I hate Nintendo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well this has the best implementation of Blue Magic ever.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Finally unlocked all the tools in the Chomp minigame. 10k GP for 1 mil CP doesn't seem that great but I guess it's fine for what's basically an idling game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's good to see that resorting to my tried and tested "Withering Ripple and then mash poo poo that hits fire weakness," strategy still has some legs in this game. Catmancer was a goddamn pain to beat.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I don't understand how Cat Mastery works. Edea is catmancer and she's being hit by bone crusher but she's not learning it?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Dastardly posted:

I don't understand how Cat Mastery works. Edea is catmancer and she's being hit by bone crusher but she's not learning it?

You can't learn every enemy skill. Here's a list.

Anyway, any advice on which asterisk to pick in the fourth sidequest? I'm leaning towards Ninja based on Bravely Default, but who knows how it's changed in this game.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Dunban posted:

You can't learn every enemy skill. Here's a list.

Anyway, any advice on which asterisk to pick in the fourth sidequest? I'm leaning towards Ninja based on Bravely Default, but who knows how it's changed in this game.

Bone Crush (Dried Remora, Cat Nip)
Attack all enemies, deals higher damage when target has lower HP. Skull Lancer in Grapp Keep (Before Chapter 5)

Then why is it listed under cat mastery?

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

It's worth noting those 4 outfits are the ones you get from the DLC code thing it gave me when I bought the game from the eshop.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

It's called vestal garb because it was originally worn by the vestal of wind from the phone game.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So, via the Nintendo Direct today the US demo for Bravely Second is coming out March 10th!

Unless you have Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked in which you should receive an email to be able to download it March 7th.

So yay!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The issue with "Vestal Garb" is that it specifically refers only to Agnes' prayer robe in Default.

I wanted it for Magnolia 'cos it's pretty.

I've finished Fort-Lune, so now I wish that I could just have my dudes automatically assign to fixing up my Baal Buster ship. The AI friends it gives you have level 60 ships by Chapter 6 so they're probably a lot better than human ones in that sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh, interesting.

There are 4 outfits in Gathelatio and 4 in Al-Khampis for 1,000,000pg each.
They're the pre-order bonuses.

I'm probably not farming up 8,000,000 for costumes I won't use a lot so I might not update my gallery.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 4, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gravyly Second

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ch.6

Ringabel's back! gently caress yeah. Shame he wasn't Ringabel as himself for 99% of his appearances for seemingly no valid reason given so far but it's good he's back for a little bit.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Is Patissier worth using? I've gotten to the point now where I'm having a really tough time deciding which jobs to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Patissier can wipe enemy buffs, debuff them, and make them weak to whatever element you want. It's nice utility for boss fights.

• Locked thread