Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Vib Rib posted:

Starbound's bad but Signs of Life is kind of poo poo
Much like your posting

I've legit had more fun with Signs of life than starbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've had more fun doing a lot of things than playing Starbound.

Signs of Life is kind of bad though, yeah

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

Much like your posting

Rrussom'd again. Just doesn't have the same ring to it. But I agree with you, signs of life is a tad better than starbound in some ways.

Starbound has much better aesthetics though. A lot of the artwork is very nice.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Except for the low-contrast characters, or the ugly items someone shat out, or

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
This feature sounds suspiciously similar to how certain item collectors work in new hit game Stardew Valley.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LordZoric posted:

This feature sounds suspiciously similar to how certain item collectors work in new hit game Stardew Valley.

In all fairness, its pretty nice for a game to have cameos or utilize cool mechanics from the publisher's other games.

The only real hitch is that this is another case where having a 2:1 ratio of artists to programmers means its easier to add shallow gimmicks than to fix significant problems in the game.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

BillmasterCozb posted:

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/704355304063016960

oh boy they're making the matter manipulator potentially worse

actually im certain it's gonna gently caress the MM over more because now instead of doing dumb poo poo for your spaceship now you prolly have to do dumb crafting poo poo to upgrade it

If that's basic crafting I dread to see advanced. :stonk:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LordZoric posted:

lol website is dead again

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

I think the rush onto the official Stardew Valley wiki keeps killing everything Chucklefish related. People like me need to know how to min-max their Harvest Moon PC game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LordZoric posted:

Honestly I think it's good for games to crib nice features from each other all the time. i ain't gonna be salty about this, just about all the other stuff

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
stardew valley is good where starbound is bad

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i'm not quite sure i'd call "catching a critter that produces a resource" a Stardew valley thing but okay.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Afraid of Audio posted:

stardew valley is good where starbound is bad

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
star...bound valley?!

:stonk:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Gotta visit the Planet/Asteroid belt that was a Planet of the Dwarves.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
I bought a 4 pack of Starbound in 2013. I still have 2 copies in my inventory. This describes no other game I've purchased.

Am I correctly understanding the thread that this game is less fun now than it was in 2013?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/704355304063016960

oh boy they're making the matter manipulator potentially worse

actually im certain it's gonna gently caress the MM over more because now instead of doing dumb poo poo for your spaceship now you prolly have to do dumb crafting poo poo to upgrade it

I guess, but it makes it easier to mod the MM to be less terrible and more interesting at the same time.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

this thread has never been better

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Grogquock posted:

I bought a 4 pack of Starbound in 2013. I still have 2 copies in my inventory. This describes no other game I've purchased.

Am I correctly understanding the thread that this game is less fun now than it was in 2013?

Yep.

Also you really should have dumped/sold the rest of that pack to unsuspecting suckers while the game was still worth something.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kly posted:

this thread has never been better

to be fair, it has also never been worse

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Grogquock posted:

It's really not. It's incredibly improved.

I had a friend who hadn't played since release talk me into a multiplayer run the other night and after about 4 hours of messing around and extensive mining we'd beaten the Erchius Facility. Digging around is not nearly as boring and tedious as it once was. Upgrades come quicker. The cave systems generate better and there's a lot of neat things to find along the way. Challenge rooms, for one, are pretty neat. Loot feels more worth getting, because weapons act differently and offer different abilities, plus there's valuable treasure you actually might want. Also loot seems more common, despite being more valuable than it used to be (previously, I eventually stopped pursuing chests because there was never anything worth finding). Secondary attacks on weapons rule -- I found a giant sword whose special is turning into an even bigger laser sword that can kill most anything in one hit. Guns are actually pretty fun now? Like a lot of them are still weak but the energy consumption is way more balanced, I found a little rapidfire dart-gun thing that set enemies on fire and it was great for long distance. NPCs are much improved in combat, including ranged combat, in which enemies seem to have a habit of lining up a shot, then firing, rather than just firing nonstop at your exact dead-center location. There are loads of handmade monsters now that actually have good attack patterns you have to dip in and out of, and even the random ones are a LITTLE easier to manage, with their preset modes. Climbing ropes are rad. The first boss and mission were all we got through but they were sleek and actually enjoyable and if not actually cinematic they at least felt pretty engaging. The inventory system is improved with more space and better sorting. There's a whole lot of convenience and quality of life stuff going on.
Outpost is better than ever, and a lot of the new spritework is fun. The banner/marquee system is neat even if it doesn't interest me much personally. Teleporters are super handy and the much-maligned cores you need to establish them are not as rare as I was led to believe, which makes them feel valuable but not impossible to find. Being able to sell poo poo is long overdue, and it's good because pixels buy poo poo that's worthwhile now. Also there's a deed system I haven't messed with but you can totally populate the rooms/bases/towns you make and even charge rent and attract inhabitants based on the decor.
I'd personally say a lot of the music, landscapes, set pieces, decor, weather, and general atmosphere and look of the game are beautiful, but a lot of that was in at release so it's not so much a point of change. Though the weather has improved, I guess.

Farming kinda sucks (manual watering is poo poo but plants grow way faster) and food is still a crapshoot of "what the gently caress does this even do?" but bandages are as good as they've ever been and heal way faster than at release. I still hate walking backwards slow but overall the game feels at least a little more predictable in terms of how your character will move or jump. Crafting is a mess as always because there's no one singular recipe list you can ever refer to, meaning you sometimes have to hop between crafting tables searching for something you're trying to make, or struggling to remember what rare/blueprint recipes you picked up, plus the sorting/categories on any given crafting table are terrible.

Bottom line is I don't think it's nearly as lovely as this thread (myself included) makes it out to be, and as it stands now, at least so far, it's a pretty enjoyable experience. The problem isn't that it's still clunky and disorganized, as in the crafting and quest/codex systems, or even the absolutely out of place stuff like the 3D Printer (that's still a thing??). The problem isn't even that there's still areas that feature big lovely design decisions -- many of which are overblown, like teleporter cores, or dumb but tolerable like manual watering.
The problem is that it's taken them loving years to get to this point, and it's still not what they hyped it up to be. If it had come out with minimal fanfare, and it had been in this current form on release, I think it would have been a pretty big hit, and people would view it much more favorably all around. But the combination of living in the shadow of what could have been and the glacial pace of development that's only recently reached this level cripples Starbound's image and reception.

If someone's coming in blind, now, they might have a pretty fun time. And maybe when the next big update hits in 2018, they can come back to it for a second run.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Source your quotes.

But in all seriousness, this thread is mostly bitter at all the wasted potential. This game could have been so much more than it is now, especially this long into development, and it's just a drat shame to see it hampered by really questionable design decisions and the glacial pace of meaningful updates.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Wayward Tide development is halted until Starbound is finished. :bravo:

RIP poor haskell pirate game, you never had a chance at life. To be fair, you looked like you were going to suck anyway. While Starbound isn't the total trainwreck we make it out to be, "Chucklefish is a poorly managed company" is a statement that's hard to refute.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think anyone would deny that chucklefish is insanely clueless to the point where it sticks out in a field that's already choked up with people of that sort

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbound is better, definitely, but not nearly in the ways it should be at this point, or even to the degree in my option. If the game was managed better and everyone knew what they wanted to actually do with it, it could be loads of fun, something I could actually recommend to my friends to buy, and also probably would have released a year ago to boot.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
the 'three years in early access' is largely what made me stop giving a poo poo

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So I started reading the Stardew Valley thread and man, seeing people on the first page, which is from 2013, mention Tiy and Chucklefish with something other than blatant disdain is hilarious

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

So I started reading the Stardew Valley thread and man, seeing people on the first page, which is from 2013, mention Tiy and Chucklefish with something other than blatant disdain is hilarious

The game had one brief moment in the sun where people thought the development team would actually do stuff and then it quickly turned into crud. Just like Red Orchestra, incidentally.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Oh sure, I was there for it too. I just had mostly forgotten about those days. There were people in that thread hoping that the Stardew Valley guys would team up with Tiy for a sequel or whatever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Stardew is just one guy I think. And Chucklefish basically has nothing to do with the game besides publishing. Hell, they barely did what a publisher's supposed to do and promote the game. I know a lot of people that didn't know the game existed, and others who were super excited for the game back in the day and they didn't even know it was still being developed, much less actually released.

unless you're talking about Starbound, then agreed

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rrussom posted:

Much like your posting

Signs of Life is a Good Game, and all the features work. Unlike starbound.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

The original Starbound thread was nothing but mocking 4channers and redditors who hated Chucklefish and Tiy. That was a time when Chucklefish devs still posted here.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tiy tried to post here but Rrussom chased him off like a big ol' ding-dong

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
starboundDevelopment.gif, featuring a much better game

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
grenade rolling down hill, are you playing far cry 2?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Babe Magnet posted:

Tiy tried to post here but Rrussom chased him off like a big ol' ding-dong

what a shame and by that I mean good

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Got probated for [rightly] calling them out on their poo poo early on

I will accept your apologies now

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 5, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jackard posted:

I got probated for [rightly] calling them out on their poo poo early on

The cops never believe the spunky teens about the monster until it's too late

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I called them out when they were trying to hype Starbound in the terraria thread, they had cool gifs of mecha walkers and a ton of ideas and nothing else. Remember those mecha walkers they were hyping? Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

I called them out when they were trying to hype Starbound in the terraria thread, they had cool gifs of mecha walkers and a ton of ideas and nothing else. Remember those mecha walkers they were hyping? Good times.

I thought that was a fan mod

• Locked thread