Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

If he needs it to do his job, then he needs it. Just expect to keep shelling out the money to others because there is no free Project viewer.

Well I mean, he came out and asked if there's alternatives before I even said anything, and I'm seeing some stuff like OpenProj that's free and will export to XML... so if i can get him to try something like that and he likes it, I'll dodge a bullet shelling out for a whole bunch of Project licenses. Just wasn't sure if there's anything y'all here recommend, because I've never had anyone ask for that before.

No employee is ever expected to pay for their own security clearance, it's always the DoD or a private employer that sponsors it. It's just that companies know drat well it's going to be cheaper for them to hire people with an active clearance. People who don't have one they might hire in the interim, and then it turns out the person had a DUI or some substantial debt, then you basically have to fire them and start from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Zero VGS posted:

I have one new marketing manager at work asking me if we have Microsoft Project, or if there's anything like it he can use. From what I can see none of our other 500 employees have it, we just have the normal O365 apps. Microsoft Project is $25/user/month or $500-1000-ish for a perpetuity license. What do I tell this guy, is there some kinda freeware that'll do a good enough job or should I just hold my nose and nab the thing?
Install the trial and see if he complains after it expires (Probably won't, what the hell marketing manager ever had project management skills.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not your money. If the guy can justify Project licenses for people and it gets approved then it's not really got much to do with you, other than doing the deployment.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If the guy needs a tool to do his job, you purchase the tool.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But I am Zero VGS and it is my job to pinch every penny while putting my company in a poor position. Help me Enterprise thread!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Internet Explorer posted:

But I am Zero VGS and it is my job to pinch every penny while putting my company in a poor position. Help me Enterprise thread!

When I first started I was all Captain Save the Company Money, but I got burned almost every single time I did it. Now I don't give 2 fucks about money and buy the best poo poo for the job and drat the cost. It's cheaper in the long run when you consider everything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spending huge amounts of money is the best part of my job

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Things cost money. Running a business costs money. One of my biggest pet peeves are those IT guys who feel obligated to save as much money for the company as possible, as if they are going to give you a big fat bonus because of it. Then someone who is actually competent at their job has to come in and say "the previous IT guy was a loving moron and did poo poo with shoestring and bubblegum. You now owe a zillion dollars in technical debt. Sorry."

Spend the money where you have to. Do McGuyver poo poo only when you absolutely have to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but also you gotta put your foot down when employees want the loving world. No we're not buying you an i7 with 32 gigs of RAM and a Quadro card for your lovely accounting software.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but also you gotta put your foot down when employees want the loving world. No we're not buying you an i7 with 32 gigs of RAM and a Quadro card for your lovely accounting software.

Why not? If the budget owner signs off I could give a poo poo. In my company business unit managers are responsible for their BU's budget, including hardware purchases. If they sign off on some 4,000 dollar workstation for their employee, that's on their budget.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Obviously you have to put your foot down somewhere. But someone who is in a role that involves project management wanting MS Project...? Not exactly unheard of, or outrageous.

skipdogg posted:

Why not? If the budget owner signs off I could give a poo poo. In my company business unit managers are responsible for their BU's budget, including hardware purchases. If they sign off on some 4,000 dollar workstation for their employee, that's on their budget.

I think you just answered your own rhetorical question. Not all companies bill back IT spending to their respective departments.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

skipdogg posted:

Budget owner? The gently caress is that? That's IT Department and it's all our budget. Part of my job description is managing frivolous IT expenses. Luckily I'm the decision maker on what is frivolous.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Budget owner? The gently caress is that? That's IT Department and it's all our budget. Part of my job description is managing frivolous IT expenses. Luckily I'm the decision maker on what is frivolous.

In my experience, it's not so much as a decision maker as the person who has to make the first guess about whether something is frivolous, and if you guess wrong then you get chewed out by someone who is closer to the purse strings.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This just in: Not every company handles budgets the same way, loving SHOCKER

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Things cost money. Running a business costs money. One of my biggest pet peeves are those IT guys who feel obligated to save as much money for the company as possible, as if they are going to give you a big fat bonus because of it. Then someone who is actually competent at their job has to come in and say "the previous IT guy was a loving moron and did poo poo with shoestring and bubblegum. You now owe a zillion dollars in technical debt. Sorry."

Spend the money where you have to. Do McGuyver poo poo only when you absolutely have to.

This is me right now. The previous team prided themselves on being scrappy, and I am tasked with moving scrappy startup to enterprise while things are crashing all around me.

Technical debt is a real thing and I am to the point where I quadruple the time estimate to get anything done because I know nothing is in order.

Today's example was: 'Oh hey. Our Splunk indexing servers aren't being monitored. Can you fix that?". 2 hours later and I have to do after hours updates to the OOB firmware and bios because they were literally never updated at install 2.5 years ago, or since, and the current OOB version has an issue with snmp.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 4, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hey rear end in a top hat, I report directly to the CFO and he says it is literally my job to pinch every penny. Sure sometimes I'll MacGuyver stuff, but I'm always acting in the company's best interests. If Joe Manager says "Hey I used to use Microsoft Project, do you have that or maybe there's something else that'll work for me", then for all I know there could be some free clone of it that's actually better in every way, which is why I humbly ask my goon peers. If Microsoft Project is the best value for doing Microsoft Project-like tasks than so be it, but that's not always the case. As an example, free consumer-grade Skype has persistent chat, Skype for Business Online for Office 365 does not. S4B will even mark a message as "received" when it only went to a user's phone and not their PC, or vice versa. Microsoft's free chat is strictly better than their paid chat. Hosting a loving OpenFire server is strictly better than their paid chat.

I've had it with this Technical Debt boogeyman that keeps getting trotted about; it's easy enough to get around if you're thoughtful and design simple systems with solid documentation. Where I'm from we have something called Actual Debt. I've cursed my IT predecessors for whipping out the company card and signing onto a 3-year minimum spend commitment for some bullshit fly-by-night SaaS so many more times than I've encountered a DIY system I couldn't make sense of or at least swiftly rip and replace.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

To somewhat defend zero vgs. I came from an open source background to where everything I implemented was basically free(software). I didn't even look at enterprise stuff. If I found something open source is use it but that was primarily Linux poo poo. Now that I only deal with Fortune 500 companies they all want enterprise grade software because they need the slas and someone to blame.

They're very stuck in their old ways and I have to drag their it department kicking and screaming into the 21st century. It's loving terrible sometimes. Puppet and version control are bad words to these people.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'll also just put it out there that I did get that raise for the ridiculous amount of money saving I've done.

I created a paid position for someone selling our equipment on eBay, and we streamlined it to the point where we polish up and sell 2-year old used laptops and phones, then we buy current, better equipment for less than the proceeds. At this point that we've actually made so much profit performing a full hardware refresh that Finance had IT reclassified as a revenue center.

But what gets me out of bed is that the C-levels have told me my drastic reductions on opex cost-per-head have actually saved some struggling salespeople from the chopping block. I can totally respect it if you don't care for my antics, and in your environment they might be frowned upon, but all I ever get is attaboys and keep-it-ups. I've been hearing this doomsday poo poo for two years now and I did some sincere soul-searching, but the reality is that I'm Rain Man with budgets and I enjoy it for some reason. I suck rear end at a lot of IT stuff, in true Windows admin fashion I can barely work Linux CLI, Cisco IOS, Powershell, or anything else that isn't gift-wrapped in a GUI, but drat if I'm not a resourceful motherfucker.

Anyway, maybe I'm inviting this on myself for asking this stuff here, I offend like half the thread's sensibilities every time I ask if I can save money. I on the other hand am offended when my refurbished iPhone 6 isn't a good enough standard issue for Entitled Sales Dude. Like, oh, you deserve a new 6s? Perhaps, or perhaps you deserve to go work in the factory making them, that might give you some perspective. Maybe I should stick my freeware/opensource inquiries to the shoestring ghetto of Spiceworks, I don't even use it anymore but I feel like they get it.

jaegerx posted:

To somewhat defend zero vgs. I came from an open source background to where everything I implemented was basically free(software). I didn't even look at enterprise stuff. If I found something open source is use it but that was primarily Linux poo poo. Now that I only deal with Fortune 500 companies they all want enterprise grade software because they need the slas and someone to blame.

They're very stuck in their old ways and I have to drag their it department kicking and screaming into the 21st century. It's loving terrible sometimes. Puppet and version control are bad words to these people.

Even my company being more of a startup loves to get everything hosted with SLAs, but one thing that's true as hell is that SLAs are a loving joke. I've dinged Microsoft for a few grand three times now, but you have to chase them down for it and do the needful with Venky for three hours. Verizon's PRI phone system went down for three days (thank god during a three-day weekend) because their server room flooded, they acknowledged the outage in writing then took two months to reply to each of my emails about a credit and are now claiming they can't find our contract to verify the SLA multiplier.

Long story short my current project involves ripping out several Salesforce click-to-call services and the Verizon PRI lines and replacing them all with FreePBX SIP so we can roll our own restful apps and save $500k/year, I have the PBX up and working like a charm, on-site with HA servers, two UPS with dual-input PDUs, two monitored air-conditioning units, three load-balanced ISPs, and my old-school boss still says he doesn't trust that and will only green-light it if I "get it hosted on the cloud". Sigh, as if it's magically not our problem when the PBX hosting has downtime.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

Things like version control and Puppet aren't just an Open Source thing.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

Things like version control and Puppet aren't just an Open Source thing.

Explain skytap. It's built for old enterprises to develop their antiquated app without breaking it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

Explain skytap. It's built for old enterprises to develop their antiquated app without breaking it.

When my brain is in a jar 100 years from now it'll be inventoried with AS/400

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Zero VGS posted:

I've had it with this Technical Debt boogeyman that keeps getting trotted about; it's easy enough to get around if you're thoughtful and design simple systems with solid documentation. Where I'm from we have something called Actual Debt. I've cursed my IT predecessors for whipping out the company card and signing onto a 3-year minimum spend commitment for some bullshit fly-by-night SaaS so many more times than I've encountered a DIY system I couldn't make sense of or at least swiftly rip and replace.

I don't think everyone is saying YOU are creating technical debt, but that it's real.

In fact, an update from my last post from the data center, because the 'simple' iRMC update I started at 7am at home failed and I had to drive out to our colo and do it with a loving usb drive. Oh, and because its a major rev behind, it has to do the active and passive, and its taking over an hour to do update it. And I have to the other node too. All because we were 'scrappy' and bought these lovely Fujitsu servers when literally everything else in this colo is HP, including storage.

So a simple ticket to add the iRMC to Solarwinds for actual hardware monitoring and alerting that should have taken 10-15 minutes via a web interface has turned into 5+ hours and a trip to the DC. If that is not technical debt, I don't know what is.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
We just started bringing our deployment methodology into this decade and I'm still learning the ropes. We bought a Windows volume license and are starting to use MDT/WDS.

From what our vendor told me, if a computer came with an OEM Windows 8 license, I have imaging rights for it with Windows 8, but not 8.1.

Is there a good workaround for this, or am I just doomed to image machines with 8 and manually upgrade them to 8.1?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't think that's the case. I think initially there was a thing where 8.1 wouldn't accept 8 keys so you had to install 8 and then upgrade (and I think even then there were ways around that), but I believe they eventually fixed it so 8.1 would take 8 keys. That was in the home space, not exactly sure how that translates to the Enterprise.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

beepsandboops posted:

We just started bringing our deployment methodology into this decade and I'm still learning the ropes. We bought a Windows volume license and are starting to use MDT/WDS.

From what our vendor told me, if a computer came with an OEM Windows 8 license, I have imaging rights for it with Windows 8, but not 8.1.

Is there a good workaround for this, or am I just doomed to image machines with 8 and manually upgrade them to 8.1?

8/8.1 share the same license.

e: so long as you are upgrading to the same version. Pro -> Pro is fine, Pro -> Enterprise is a new license.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also, jeebus man, it's 2016, don't deploy Windows 8. Windows 10.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

We've run into some compatibility issues with our A/V vendor and I think a few other programs. Don't even get me started on the busted web application that our company develops and uses internally :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I got a GPO question. We have a Group Policy to push down WSUS settings to all the computers in the org. We want to setup a secondary WSUS server at a branch office so the updates aren't being pushed over the MPLS connection. Currently I have all the computer objects in one OU called "Company". Should I move all the branch computer objects to another OU, or create a Group? WMI object to specify subnet? Not sure the easiest way to accomplish.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does this help?

https://4sysops.com/archives/use-active-directory-sites-to-automatically-assign-the-closest-wsus-server/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's interesting. I'll have to see. One negative I see is that we have the same vlan shared between sites. It's a better way to do things though.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

That is like the worst advice. Windows 10 is deep in beta state right now, I'd never roll that out in the Enterprise. Either stay on Windows 7 or if you need the new features, roll out Windows 8.1

GreenNight posted:

I got a GPO question. We have a Group Policy to push down WSUS settings to all the computers in the org. We want to setup a secondary WSUS server at a branch office so the updates aren't being pushed over the MPLS connection. Currently I have all the computer objects in one OU called "Company". Should I move all the branch computer objects to another OU, or create a Group? WMI object to specify subnet? Not sure the easiest way to accomplish.

I'd assign the group policy to the AD site. That way you'll accurately target roaming people to the correct server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

That's interesting. I'll have to see. One negative I see is that we have the same vlan shared between sites. It's a better way to do things though.

Like you've stretched the L2 domain or you have people on one site that can't access services on another because the subnets are the same?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Our book keeper quit last week and a the new starts next week. All the various(STUPID) banking and vendor websites require custom internet security settings and cookies. It is possible the change the name and sign in information on a user account and keep all those settings the windows machine? If I rename the account using Active Directory, can just rename the user folder on the windows work station?

Calidus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 11, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You can rename the account in AD as long as the user is logged out, but you can't (easily) rename the user profile folder.

If you're determined to do so, take a look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. There may be other locations where you'd need to edit the folder path for the user profile.

I'd just rename the user and call it a day.

Alternatively, take the opportunity to document the necessary settings so this isn't an issue in the future, put it into a security group scoped GPO, and you can continue to use clean accounts for every new employee.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Like you've stretched the L2 domain or you have people on one site that can't access services on another because the subnets are the same?

We have wifi at the remote site using the same vlan as local subnet. Same domain. MPLS back home. Only 3 meg though so local WSUS is required.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd readdress that subnet if it's at all possible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Probably the best plan moving forward. We outsource that sort of work so it's always a to do.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

peak debt posted:

That is like the worst advice. Windows 10 is deep in beta state right now, I'd never roll that out in the Enterprise. Either stay on Windows 7 or if you need the new features, roll out Windows 8.1

This is old thinking. If you're worried about the platform look at LTSB Win10. LTSB is windows 7. If you can't even hit that target I don't know what to say.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

You can rename the account in AD as long as the user is logged out, but you can't (easily) rename the user profile folder.

If you're determined to do so, take a look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. There may be other locations where you'd need to edit the folder path for the user profile.

I'd just rename the user and call it a day.

Alternatively, take the opportunity to document the necessary settings so this isn't an issue in the future, put it into a security group scoped GPO, and you can continue to use clean accounts for every new employee.

There's a tool that can do it fairly well. gently caress if I can remember the name of it, someone will probably chime in.

Personally, I would put all this stuff in a GPO in AD. My team knows not to do trusted sites, compatibility, java security, etc. on a local machine. If it is worth changing for one person, it is worth changing for everyone just to save yourself and your users the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ProfWiz