Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

jng2058 posted:

If they go the other way and set up for a second season, is there enough material to do that instead?

That would be a Poor decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Okay, fair enough. Then let's buckle up and get ready for a race to the finish!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just started watching this. This might be the most relentlessly depressing, but most uplifting show I've ever seen.

Episode 5

Goddammit not Kayo :smith:

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 27, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Dammit show, that bit where Kayo wakes up and sees breakfast waiting for her hit me harder than it should have.

I spent the entire episode waiting for the other shoe to drop, and now I'm going to be a wreck going into next week.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

madmac posted:

I spent the entire episode waiting for the other shoe to drop, and now I'm going to be a wreck going into next week.

This was me during the breakfast scene. "Oh this is really nice. I guess their house is going to blow up or something now..."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Way to make me cry, you stupid jerk show.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
That breakfast scene was handled perfectly, causing the viewer to really care about Kayo's happiness, rather than feeling a general preference that she not murdered, for the first time in the course of the show.

And yeah, I teared up a bit also.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm starting to wonder if maybe he was hypnotized (subjected to the superpower of another person, maybe Sachiko if weird powers run in the family?) after Hiromi's death to be unable to acknowledge it or something. I mean, this episode he even remembered the third victim but there's been no discussion about the fact that the second victim was one of his buddies.

It makes as much sense as anything else.

Huh? The whole point of letting Hiromi in on the bus plan is to protect him. Hiromi was targetted because his parents stayed out until eight, anytime after that and he'd be safe.

Anyway, busman is totally the teacher. Same clothes, same coat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i never thought i'd ever see such a genuinely heartwarming story about solving a terrifying murder mystery via blue butterfly time travel

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

i never thought i'd ever see such a genuinely heartwarming story about solving a terrifying murder mystery via blue butterfly time travel

Yeah, Life is Strange was pretty good.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

a kitten posted:

Yeah, Life is Strange was pretty good.

I'm not sure I'd consider Life is Strange to be particularly heartwarming. It was good though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Brownieftw posted:

I'm not sure I'd consider Life is Strange to be particularly heartwarming. It was good though.

It's the same butterfly i'm tellin ya. :tinfoil:

Anyway:
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/705133349166125056

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I started watching this show after some coworkers kept talking about it. Was expecting a Haruhi and came out with a Steins Gate.

Don't read the wiki article though :( Don't know why I thought that there wouldn't be ending spoilers in that.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Why would you read any wiki article ever

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Acer Pilot posted:

Don't know why I thought that there wouldn't be ending spoilers in that.

I guess the takeaway here is that a Wiki editor has Revival powers, since the manga hasn't ended yet in our timeline. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It actually has, and some shitstain on 4chan translated the final chapter and put it all over the place when there's still 3 chapters in between that haven't been finished yet.

So I guess be extra special careful now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Invictus posted:

It actually has, and some shitstain on 4chan translated the final chapter and put it all over the place when there's still 3 chapters in between that haven't been finished yet.

So I guess be extra special careful now.

Yeah.......I'm a half spoiled man. Haven't read the whole thing, but enough to be grumpy about it.:smith:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Does it pull a Rokka?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The 'mystery' makes perfect sense and the ending is emotionally pitch perfect.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I didn't read the article, but Crymore had a headline up suggesting that the ending ruined everything coming before it, so I guess it's possible?

As a side note, regarding the latest episode: I have candy, get in vanSUV. "Only kidnappers like you would think to go to a place like that, right? [nervous laugh]".

EDIT: There was an interesting idiom near the end of the episode:

Kenya said something like "ketsu ii" to indicate something translated as "it all worked out in the end" or something similar Does that literally translate to "Pulled it out of your rear end" as 穴尻? Or is it 決 for decision point?

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 3, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Boogaleeboo posted:

The 'mystery' makes perfect sense and the ending is emotionally pitch perfect.

Wow, the legendary 'Anti-Rokka'.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I didn't read the article, but Crymore had a headline up suggesting that the ending ruined everything coming before it, so I guess it's possible?

As a side note, regarding the latest episode: I have candy, get in vanSUV. "Only kidnappers like you would think to go to a place like that, right? [nervous laugh]".

Kenya said something like "ketsu ii" to indicate something translated as "it all worked out in the end" or something similar Does that literally translate to "Pulled it out of your rear end" as 穴尻? Or is it 決 for decision point?

i'm reading the article and the guy just seems salty that it's so popular while having faults. his complaints are basically with the series as a whole, and that the ending arc didn't redeem any of the faults for him. one of which isn't even a fault, and was explained but he seems to have totally forgotten it.

so surprise, a piece of writing on crymore is bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm suddenly very worried about where Kayo and her grandmother ended up going, it was just them and Sensei in the car, right?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm suddenly very worried about where Kayo and her grandmother ended up going, it was just them and Sensei in the car, right?

If he is the murderer, I don't think he would do something as obvious as be the last person to be with two people who then got murdered. He'd probably do something more subtle, like maybe go after a bully who everyone avoids after she was called out in class

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Kytrarewn posted:

To add to what you mentioned: note how all the creepy child abduction gear was taken from the bus after Satoru told the teacher that was their hideout. Also, that same teacher just happened to be driving along Aya's route home at what was noted to be the easiest time to kidnap her. This episode really put a lot of suspicion onto him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Again, the killer is a guy who was scared off by a random woman looking at him when he tried to get his creep on. Going that loud when he was the last person seen with both of them by Child Protective Services seems completely counter to his M.O..

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah you're right, this show just makes me paranoid :tinfoil:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Alpha3KV posted:

To add to what you mentioned: note how all the creepy child abduction gear was taken from the bus after Satoru told the teacher that was their hideout. Also, that same teacher just happened to be driving along Aya's route home at what was noted to be the easiest time to kidnap her. This episode really put a lot of suspicion onto him.

Question for manga readers in that regard, since there have been concerns about the progress of the adaptation: How many chapters was today's episode?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also I still really loving love the ED song

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Kytrarewn posted:

The word he's using is 決意 (ketsui). Means determination/resolve.

Kytrarewn posted:

Question for manga readers in that regard, since there have been concerns about the progress of the adaptation: How many chapters was today's episode?

Ep 9 adapted chapters 24 to 27. The manga ended on chapter 44. Three episodes remain.

They've apparently announced a gaiden for publishing in July or whatever. And a couple of novels about the perp or something.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I suspect that all of the stuff to do with Yashiro is a red herring. The sweets in his car seem weird at first, but this guy is a teacher who the victims all know and trust - he'd have absolutely no need to use them as some sort of bait. Even the idea of a killer using them as bait for kids seems a bit ridiculous really, the kids aren't dumb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assume Japan in the 80's had the same sort of 'Stranger danger' stuff in school we did here too.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I suspect that all of the stuff to do with Yashiro is a red herring. The sweets in his car seem weird at first, but this guy is a teacher who the victims all know and trust - he'd have absolutely no need to use them as some sort of bait. Even the idea of a killer using them as bait for kids seems a bit ridiculous really, the kids aren't dumb

But wasn't one of the kids from a different school? Or at least a different class? Like I agree that candy is the most cliche and unrealistic way to lure a kid into a car, but maybe it was part of a larger plan for luring kids he doesn't know, like he finds kids alone and in distress. Stops to cheer them, offers them candy as part of that, tells them he's a teacher at X school or of X class then offers them a ride.

I dunno, I just can't explain away the fact that he told Satoru not to get the cops or child services involved in Kayo's situation because she would have to move away and they couldn't be friends anymore. That just doesn't at all jive with a teacher who's really concerned about his student's well-being. It seems more like a manipulative way to keep Kayo's only friend from helping her out of a precarious situation.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Teacher is guilty by virtue of being he only young adult male in the whole timeperiod.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Teacher is guilty by virtue of being he only young adult male in the whole timeperiod.

Well, there is Mama Hinazuki's boyfriend, but Yashiro certainly physically resembles the killer more, and has had more screentime and development, letting him become a more personal (and thus more fun) antagonist. Unless they're going for an insane twist where he was the Eighties killer, and the modern killer is one of the kids from Satoru's class who decided to copycat him., or something.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Pavlov posted:

That's what I decided will probably be the case as well. I was saying to my wife that these mysteries have a "rule" of sorts where the guilty person should be shown before the solution and not in the last minute either or else it becomes an unsatisfying ending.

Given that, there's really no one else that seems to make sense (I had wacky theories like how one of the boys was a time warper too and did the killings based on that knowledge but that didn't lead anywhere).

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 3, 2016

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pavlov posted:

I'd be a bit disappointed if that were the case I think. I suppose I'd also be disappointed if it's somebody we haven't even seen, though.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

ChronoReverse posted:

That's what I decided will probably be the case as well. I was saying to my wife that these mysteries have a "rule" of sorts where the guilty person should be shown before the solution and not in the last minute either or else it becomes an unsatisfying ending.
Yeah, I never got around to reading the manga but I'm kind of convinced this story isn't as much a mystery and more of a thriller. At least, it's not a mystery that'll satisfy mystery buffs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hypothesis: Yashiro stuffs his glove compartment with lollipops because he does indeed have a giant sugar addiction that he's kind of ashamed of.

He keeps his child-murdering kit in the trunk instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A glovebox full of candy seems a lot more consistent with a sugar addiction than malicious intent to me. If he were trying to lure children, he'd really only need a couple.

This episode has tried extremely hard to paint him the killer, which is making me think he's a red herring.

I'm certain he isn't the modern killer, since Satoru saw the guy and didn't recognise him.

• Locked thread