Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
looking at thin section samples is my poo poo

crossed polar :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Everything was rainbows and earthquakes until this semester, with Earth Systems 2 and Earth Materials 2. Went from 0-100 REAL QUICK.

Thin samples are extremely my poo poo.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
So are there actually geology jobs where I can go camping every once in a while, look at some rocks, and drink some beer?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man my father in law is some sort of geologist/engineer and makes loving bank working with quarries and poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Randy Marsh is a geologist.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mike-o posted:

So are there actually geology jobs where I can go camping every once in a while, look at some rocks, and drink some beer?

poo poo, I hope so

I applied for some internships for this summer with National Parks. Seems fairly competitive, I'm up against 60 or so applicants for each position. Don't know what the hell I'm going to do if I can't find some science to do this summer. I'm really tempted to just gently caress off back to the spanish speaking world for the summer, but I know I'd probably be better off hunting down some research I can do unpaid at that point. My resume sucks.

edit: I know now that I need to get my poo poo together for internships around the new year, though. I missed deadlines for so much cool poo poo, and I didn't even think until this week of looking into internships with the various giant evil resource companies. Lol I am old and wise but I am still a know-nothing freshman student.

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 2, 2016

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

"Kiss my rear end" in response to a froathingly apoplectic instructor who was losing it because nobody (other than me) had done any of the assigned work.

So yeah, she can kiss my rear end. I'm standing by it- their hug box can go gently caress itself if some alpha oval office is allowed to get Full Metal Jacket PG style on me I'm gonna tell that fellow grown rear end adult to kiss my rear end.

She's (more accurately I am) lucky I didn't give her the old "suck my dick from the back" but then I'd probably be arrested and on a registry by now all things considered.

gently caress people who think they can just get in my face and yell at me. I mean what the gently caress.

I'm not cut out for this brand of college poo poo and it's so painfully obvious.

I was good at two things. Being enlisted and doing Intel sperg poo poo. I'm very bad at being a undergrad, or a student for that matter.

I can't quit college to go enlist because I already loving retired.

Just gonna finish this out hating it the whole way. Kinda like an enlistment.

Dude I'd do the same poo poo. I know I've cursed at a teacher or two since getting out for being disrespectful assholes, and plenty of students on campus for being assholes too. It's more of a problem in the lower level and/or remedial classes than the others.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Randy Marsh is a geologist.

Gonna get drunk on private land, when the cops are arresting me I'll be in my underwear shouting I WAS DOING GEOLOGY, I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

you practically want to hang it on your fridge after you manage a C+ on your lab homework.

This is what biochemistry is like too, only your life is terrible and you never go outside. Should have done geoscience, but I really like medicine. :(

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

elite_garbage_man posted:

Dude I'd do the same poo poo. I know I've cursed at a teacher or two since getting out for being disrespectful assholes, and plenty of students on campus for being assholes too. It's more of a problem in the lower level and/or remedial classes than the others.

You guys are giving too many fucks. Who cares what some pearl-clutching undergrads or profs think, as long as you can get your homework done?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DownByTheWooter posted:

poo poo, I hope so

I applied for some internships for this summer with National Parks. Seems fairly competitive, I'm up against 60 or so applicants for each position. Don't know what the hell I'm going to do if I can't find some science to do this summer. I'm really tempted to just gently caress off back to the spanish speaking world for the summer, but I know I'd probably be better off hunting down some research I can do unpaid at that point. My resume sucks.

edit: I know now that I need to get my poo poo together for internships around the new year, though. I missed deadlines for so much cool poo poo, and I didn't even think until this week of looking into internships with the various giant evil resource companies. Lol I am old and wise but I am still a know-nothing freshman student.

State level natural resource jobs exist. National parks are going to be looking more at Forestry nerds than rock hounds, but not a lost cause by any means. Blasting firms, civil engineering firms, natgas and oil jobs are probably slimmed down but that doesn't mean they're not hiring. Hell, I remember reading about jobs a few years back mapping and scouting land in Canada in the summers where they drop you in the woods and pick you up a day or two later in a helicopter. Just walk and make maps, carry a gently caress-all huge rifle to keep wildlife at bay, two or three man teams.

Or just scout a placer claim on BLM land, and go completely monkeyshit insane panning gold from a streambed. That's always an option. Probably a really dumb one though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Getting a B or lower in an advertising class is grounds for embarrassment.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The Rat, what are you studying or what job do you have? Seems like you get out to the wilderness a lot and get to bring guns.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'm an accounting student currently. Done at the end of this year. I just like hiking/shooting a lot and I have almost 0 social life, so I do it a lot.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Weren't you a mercenary for a while, too?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

3 years of contracting, yeah. My first attempt at college didn't take since even though I had good grades, I didn't know what the hell I wanted to major in. Went contracting rather than spin my wheels and burn my GI bill.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
^ probably for the best then

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

State level natural resource jobs exist. National parks are going to be looking more at Forestry nerds than rock hounds, but not a lost cause by any means. Blasting firms, civil engineering firms, natgas and oil jobs are probably slimmed down but that doesn't mean they're not hiring. Hell, I remember reading about jobs a few years back mapping and scouting land in Canada in the summers where they drop you in the woods and pick you up a day or two later in a helicopter. Just walk and make maps, carry a gently caress-all huge rifle to keep wildlife at bay, two or three man teams.

Or just scout a placer claim on BLM land, and go completely monkeyshit insane panning gold from a streambed. That's always an option. Probably a really dumb one though.

I have heard there should be good opportunity in the next decade or whatever to get government jobs as just about any kind of hard scientist, including geologists. The pay is pretty bad compared to going to work for oil, but those companies want graduate degrees. Then again, I get veteran welfare and the field work in the civil servant jobs can be really really cool, so who cares about big bucks

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

The Rat posted:

You guys are giving too many fucks. Who cares what some pearl-clutching undergrads or profs think, as long as you can get your homework done?

I'm pretty sure me calling a teacher a dumb loving bitch to her face is a good example of not giving any fucks

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

^ probably for the best then

I have heard there should be good opportunity in the next decade or whatever to get government jobs as just about any kind of hard scientist, including geologists. The pay is pretty bad compared to going to work for oil, but those companies want graduate degrees. Then again, I get veteran welfare and the field work in the civil servant jobs can be really really cool, so who cares about big bucks
The higher end of the GS scale is honestly plenty of money to have a lot of fun on. Of course I know GS-11s with nice cars and houses, who go on vacations all the time but want to cry about how they could be making more money in the private sector.*

*Well if they had college that is

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's giving a gently caress in a different kind of way. By giving no fucks, I mean expending no mental/emotional energy towards it.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What's the pay look like for gov jobs? I'm of the strong mind that after a certain point, more money won't make me any happier. If I can make $70k/year working for the government, I won't care about making $100k in the private sector.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

App13 posted:

What's the pay look like for gov jobs? I'm of the strong mind that after a certain point, more money won't make me any happier. If I can make $70k/year working for the government, I won't care about making $100k in the private sector.

Terrible, compared to the private sector. It's also absolutely soul crushingly tedious and full of red tape, which eventually will turn your personality into a bright shade of gray.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
GS7 is like 54, 9 is like 65. 11 is what, high 80s and 13 is 105ish?

Most jobs are bracketed 7-9, 9-11 and 11-13.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

elite_garbage_man posted:

I'm pretty sure me calling a teacher a dumb loving bitch to her face is a good example of not giving any fucks

No that sounds like giving a lot of fucks

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

GS7 is like 54, 9 is like 65. 11 is what, high 80s and 13 is 105ish?

Most jobs are bracketed 7-9, 9-11 and 11-13.
Depends on locality. Here 11 is 60 for step 1. Which sounds fair for not having to live in the DC area.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

jfc you blokes need to relax. Just smile and nod. Don't ruin some poor person's day just cos you're a nutjob.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just got to find the right person to take your anger out on, like a VA punching bag or a Republican senator.

You can still be a nutjob, just focus the crazy on something that you don't rely on giving you a passing grade. Just nod, smile, and put loving happy-happy-joy-joy music poo poo on in your head. Bonus points if you start singing a Britney Spears song in class only to argue with yourself that Christina was a way better trash diva back in their hayday.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of the girls on my team was telling us that her sister is on a study abroad down in South America, and keeps petting stray dogs, and not washing her hands afterwards, and stuff like that. So she's sick all the time and now needs to be debugged because she's got a bunch of fleas living on her.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the girls on my team was telling us that her sister is on a study abroad down in South America, and keeps petting stray dogs, and not washing her hands afterwards, and stuff like that. So she's sick all the time and now needs to be debugged because she's got a bunch of fleas living on her.

lol

I mean, I pet strays too, that's what they're there for, but drat. My personal hygiene has never been bad enough that I picked up fleas even when I worked in an animal shelter. Getting sick is what people from first world countries do in South America, though, so I can't really begrudge her that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

at the date posted:

lol

I mean, I pet strays too, that's what they're there for, but drat. My personal hygiene has never been bad enough that I picked up fleas even when I worked in an animal shelter. Getting sick is what people from first world countries do in South America, though, so I can't really begrudge her that.
I'd be tempted to pet strays but I drat well keep myself clean. Also she flew down to visit her sister over winter break, mentioned that she might want to be a little more careful which is apparently not the sort of thing fake-adults want to hear, so she spent the entire two weeks being a complete bitch to her. Now they're not talking anymore.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Ugh I need to get the ball rolling on school. I was originally going to try to go this current semester but it didn't work out. I did the application and was accepted (of course I was its a community college) but didn't follow up on anything after that. Now I'm trying to get in on fall semester. I need to schedule the placement test and get my transcripts turned in for evaluation.

I'm used to just barging into places and being really nice to get what I want so I hope that works in this case. I really don't care for phone calls and all that poo poo. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all. Please encourage me to leave my house and interact with other humans so that I get this done, thanks guys.

Also if you have any "disabled veteran" hot tips please let me know

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wear your old ACU/DCU/BDU cutoffs. Every day, rain, snow or shine.

An old uniform top with cutoff sleeves is also a choice selection. You can finally put stuff in your pockets, may as well jam a pack of black and milds in there.

And a dip can in your pocket. You're going to community college, after all, be yourself.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
my back pocket so I can develop a cool ring from it?????????????????

There were two kids that came in trying to join once that got matching Copenhagen cans tattooed on their but cheeks together

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
One in each, man. One in each.

Bigfoot bless our dumbass servicemen.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I always barge in and am real polite and I get poo poo done, so that will work out.

As far as disabled veteran hot tips, look into vocrehab. I'm on it and it rocks. If you struggle with being around strangers/inside buildings, etc. you might want to schedule yourself little breaks during your classes to go wash your face or drink some water BEFORE you get too worked up.

There's an adjustment period for sure, but never feel ashamed for needing to take a few weeks/months to do so

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

App13 posted:

I always barge in and am real polite and I get poo poo done, so that will work out.

As far as disabled veteran hot tips, look into vocrehab. I'm on it and it rocks. If you struggle with being around strangers/inside buildings, etc. you might want to schedule yourself little breaks during your classes to go wash your face or drink some water BEFORE you get too worked up.

There's an adjustment period for sure, but never feel ashamed for needing to take a few weeks/months to do so

I'm probably gonna do this after my 9/11 GI runs out. I'd make too much more money with the BAH that the 9/11 offers instead of the vocrehab.

Hoping to get an answer back from my college soon. I sent them my unofficial transcripts and they said they'd let me know what they will accept. I've never heard of a college being so up tight about online universities before. I'm not going to Pheonix for gently caress's sake.

Also, not sure how I'd handle being yelled at by my professor. I think I'd just laugh and walk out. I plan on smoking weed with the cool kids in the bathrooms before class.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Voc Rehab BAH is different than GI Bill BAH?

I'm about to switch off the GI Bill and to Voc Rehab in the summer.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
It can be if you don't qualify for post 9/11 BAH. If you don't qualify for the post 9/11 they provide a much more modest housing stipend. Google for the charts, but very few, if any, people here will meet the criteria to even care.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

It can be if you don't qualify for post 9/11 BAH. If you don't qualify for the post 9/11 they provide a much more modest housing stipend. Google for the charts, but very few, if any, people here will meet the criteria to even care.

Yeah but using voc rehab with the 9/11 rates eats up your 9/11 bill right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Voc rehab provides 48 months instead of 36. So yes, plus 12 bonus months.

It really is better. Literally the only out of pocket expense under voc rehab is your school's forced meal plans. Everything goes on a voucher (bookstore poo poo) or you can take in receipts IF you can associate it with your degree.

Example: I had a music appreciation class for gen ed credits, and the instructor required us to go to a classical music concert, so a symphony. VA paid me back for the ticket.

Oh, and they'll flat out give you a new laptop, printer, a tablet if you can justify it.

Forget about post-9/11 if you qualify for VR&E.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 4, 2016

• Locked thread