Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Frobbe posted:

Bravely led by Captain Disapproving Scowl
(Bonus points to those that recognize the technological relic he's standing on)

Ah, I see the Cadians are bravely holding the Socket 8 objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Game 2- A Rivalry Rekindled involves both players. This one I took photos of. Basically the whole game takes place in a narrow canyon, with Space Wolves and Dark Angels attempting to break through Daemon lines and escape. The game is played on a 24"x72" length of table, and every other turn starting at the end of turn 2, you remove the westernmost tile and add a new tile on the eastern side. Units on this westernmost tile are put back into reserves. The Imperial players win if they can get one or more units off the Westernmost tile on turn 9 or 10.

I have to plug ANAmal's awesome-looking Ravenwing fighter:

This scenario definitely owned, even though I was completely tabled two thirds of the way through it and the company master I spent the afternoon working on never even hit the table. Really like the scenario though, and it's cool to see GW doing more things with the missions than "set up a 4x6 table, place X objectives". I wouldn't mind trying the other mission in the book that runs on 2 2x6 tables, or the one on 6 2x2 boards, next time.

Also I just realized that I blatantly cheated at least once during the game, by rapid-firing bolters and then charging after. For some reason I still gently caress that rule up from time to time (the reason is that I'm an idiot). :frogbon:

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 3, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Frobbe posted:

Bravely led by Captain Disapproving Scowl

For a moment I thought that was General Sturnn. Did he ever get a model? Or any mention after he got canonically murdered by the Eldar?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ineptmule posted:

No lie, I really like the Big Shas and Gunslinger veterans. The exposed cleavage on the female minis is a bit much for me but otherwise I kind of dig those sculpts too. Will definitely get the male ones at some point to use as unit leaders for my Fire Warriors.

Women don't need armor, you horrid racist. I'm reporting you to Tumblr right now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MrSlam posted:

For a moment I thought that was General Sturnn. Did he ever get a model? Or any mention after he got canonically murdered by the Eldar?
Unfortunately he didn't, but I remember there were (bogus) rumors at the time that the command squad from DoW was gonna get a plastic kit. That Cadian officer is one of my favorite minis though, up there with the Kommando Nob and metal Sternguard sergeant.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Post 9-11 User posted:

Women don't need armor, you horrid racist. I'm reporting you to Tumblr right now.

Maybe I'll get the female ones as well and impose a more demure standard of dress on them. How hard can it be??

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

This scenario definitely owned, even though I was completely tabled two thirds of the way through it and the company master I spent the afternoon working on never even hit the table. Really like the scenario though, and it's cool to see GW doing more things with the missions than "set up a 4x6 table, place X objectives". I wouldn't mind trying the other mission in the book that runs on 2 2x6 tables, or the one on 6 2x2 boards, next time.

Also I just realized that I blatantly cheated at least once during the game, by rapid-firing bolters and then charging after. For some reason I still gently caress that rule up from time to time (the reason is that I'm an idiot). :frogbon:

I'm down for that.

I also completely forgot to roll on the Warp Storm table each turn. Could have been a big advantage. Not a big deal though.

Too many rules

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

ANAmal.net posted:

Everyone makes mistakes in just about every game I play in. I swear to God it's embarrassing when I realize I have screwed up. Depending on the mistake I feel like I invalidate my win in some cases.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Snollygoster posted:

Meanwhile, GW's twitter feed, @VoxCaster, has not updated in years. I'm guessing the employee who handled it quit and walked away with the password. God forbid you interact with the dev studio unless GW can monetize it somehow with a Games Day seminar. Is Games Day still a thing?

They stopped using everything because they'd turn up to work with 10,000 notifications and all of them were walls of whiny text, outright threats and variations of 'gently caress GW'. No point to it anymore. Forge world kind of weathered the storm until GW shut everything down and then it shifted to them too.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyone have the Crimson Fists Command upgrade kit and have a spare banner? I need two or three of them, and I have no need for that many shoulderpads

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

serious gaylord posted:

They stopped using everything because they'd turn up to work with 10,000 notifications and all of them were walls of whiny text, outright threats and variations of 'gently caress GW'. No point to it anymore. Forge world kind of weathered the storm until GW shut everything down and then it shifted to them too.

From what I heard the previous CEO literally walked downstairs and was like "Shut it all down now." And they closed everything that moment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Big baby. Should of just used it for announcement and disable posting.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

serious gaylord posted:

This is normal at most game companies and it is the worst.

The only thing that makes up for it are letters from kids telling you how awesome you are :unsmith:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Customer outreach is otiose in a niche market.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

BULBASAUR posted:

This is normal at most game companies and it is the worst.

The only thing that makes up for it are letters from kids telling you how awesome you are :unsmith:

If you're a big corporation on Twitter, you have to expect people are going to throw elbows at you. GW could pay for a community management team with thick skin and support them. Strong community management would go so far to fix a lot of what's wrong with 40k's user base and defuse the bitterness that's built up over more than a decade of corporate silence. When was the last time GW had official forums? I started about 10 years ago, and I think the forums were already gone by then.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's exactly what most game companies do- they have a community management team. I pitty them because of how awful the job can be sometimes, but it's part of what you get working with a creative product. People get attached to the things they connect with and people connect really well with things like media + games.

The best companies act as single face when it comes to customer focus. GW isn't a customer focused company though, so you get a siloed experience where the customer service team is great, but the product, design, B2B, and marketing silos are not at all focused on your experience.

Biz :words: here in the 40k thread

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ghost Hand posted:

Everyone makes mistakes in just about every game I play in. I swear to God it's embarrassing when I realize I have screwed up. Depending on the mistake I feel like I invalidate my win in some cases.

Myself and the folks I play with have all been warhams since 2E. Literally every game we forget something. Sometimes it's just because we don't use a specific unit very often but mostly it's because we're accidentally using a rule from one or two editions ago that is worded very similarly to the most current one.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Finished some Goon Celeb Squats. Huge thanks to ineptmule for the Elysian arms, SRM for the servo-skull, and super mega thanks to Hixson for the fantastic minis. I hope you all think your bits went to good use - will get them on the battlefield as soon as possible! I'm thinking I'll try them as Veterans in tomorrow night's Kill Team.

All of them had conversions, mostly the arms. Lots of fun working on these characterful old sculpts.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
That's it. We've reached the end of Warhammer guys. Close the thread. Squats are back.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God dang those Squat pirates own.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

That's it. We've reached the end of Warhammer guys. Close the thread. Squats are back.

Someone clearly hasn't seen Buffalo Chicken's previous posts. :colbert:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

BuffaloChicken posted:

Finished some Goon Celeb Squats. Huge thanks to ineptmule for the Elysian arms, SRM for the servo-skull, and super mega thanks to Hixson for the fantastic minis. I hope you all think your bits went to good use - will get them on the battlefield as soon as possible! I'm thinking I'll try them as Veterans in tomorrow night's Kill Team.

All of them had conversions, mostly the arms. Lots of fun working on these characterful old sculpts.

Those all kick rear end and I like the bottom guy especially, but you've called the wrath of Exterminatus upon us

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Thanks guys, glad you like!

Safety Factor posted:

Someone clearly hasn't seen Buffalo Chicken's previous posts. :colbert:
In case you haven't seen, here's a few more.

Techpriest Enginseer:

Veterans with Grenadier Doctrine:

Grey Knight Terminators:

Grey Knight Venerable Dreadnought:

I have a few units more, but no photos uploaded.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I sincerely believe if GW stopped doing stuff like removing Tomb Kings and selling codexes only to invalidate them within a few months they wouldn't get the level of vitriol they experienced. I've seen nothing but good community stuff on a lot of local store pages.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
BuffChix those are better than I could have hoped! So awesome. You are a fine Ham.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
PURGE THE FOUL XENOS

Gotta love stuff arriving before release!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Frobbe posted:

PURGE THE FOUL XENOS

Gotta love stuff arriving before release!

Yeah, I think I need to sneak by the store and see if I can get mine today so I can start hammering the models out. I want to have the full Formation painted and ready for play by the 17th, which shouldn't be all that hard but we'll see.

Strongly considering fielding the Ghosar Quintus Broodkin Formation and a CAD of Flying Hive Tyrant w/ Wings, 2x TL-Dev, and ESG, and two units of 5x Genestealers with Broodlord for my 1000pt Ally list. It's not super competitive, but if we get first turn 760pts of the army is infiltrated 18" or less from the enemy and there's enough Psychic power to shut down units and allow the Genestealer Patriach and Princelings to assault without danger of Overwatch. :unsmigghh:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Those really do look amazing! It makes me sad I'm never going to see an official Squat rulebook in my lifetime.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

MrSlam posted:

Those really do look amazing! It makes me sad I'm never going to see an official Squat rulebook in my lifetime.
Between Imperial Guard, Inquisition and Space Marines, you can find perfect rules equivalents for any Squat unit. If you like Squats, go for it!

My Genestealer Cult army just shipped, and I'm pumped for Squat vs Cult battles. So retro.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Clearly we need to see someone explore the results of a squat gene cult.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

DeadGame posted:

Wouldn't those just be scrunts?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

DeadGame posted:

According to the fluff, as well as the storefront, Games Workshop already did that.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey 40k thread, long time no see. A few old timers might recognize me and my Salamanders. I think it's time for me to bite the bullet and find them a new home, where they will be used and appreciated. :unsmith:

I have no idea what modern point values would be, but IIRC I had ~3500-4000 points worth of stuff using 5th edition codex costs. I'm not interested in splitting it up. If you're interested in some decently painted Salamanders feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here for my email address. I have a spreadsheet with everything listed, and a lot more pics I can provide. There's a Battlefoam 1520 bag they come in, as well as some other cool stuff like FW brass etch and 3 unused sets of the OOP Salamanders decals that came out a couple years ago.

There's probably still a few old school posters around here who can vouch for me, and I can provide Bartertown references and such as well.

Here's some example pics:

Hopefully this post is kosher. If not just consider it a collection of sweet pics I guess? Thanks for looking!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
I played an incredibly game with my wifes Eldar last night against a friends beautifully painted AdMech army. (He does commission painting).

The game really boiled down to the movement phase for the most part, with both armies doing a lot of feinting and such. It's the first time I have really played a game like it. The AdMech Rules are quite interesting - but in some cases more complex than the Tau. (which for me is saying something).

By the end of the game we were both mentally exhausted though. It wasn't the largest game I have played, but it was such an interesting balance and fight that it wiped us both out. Ultimately the mobility of the Eldar (and Scatter laser bikes...) were able to overcome. I had 9 Warpspiders with an Exarch who didn't even make it into the game until Turn 4 (stupid reserve) but actually controlled how my opponent moved about the board because he was so concerned about them. In the end they killed nothing but scored an objective in the backfield.

Thought I would share some of the pictures with you guys though as the whole battle was quite nice to look at...

This last one is probably my favorite picture of the game...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Blue Admech are so fuckin cool.

Sad to see your Sallies go, Fyrbrand :( They've always been one of my favorite goon armies.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Those salamanders were one of my favorite things to see on the games forums. It's sad you have to let them go. I wouldn't want to parse them out either; it wouldn't be right.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BuffaloChicken posted:

Looks great man. They certainly went to a good home!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Fyrbrand posted:

Hey 40k thread, long time no see. A few old timers might recognize me and my Salamanders. I think it's time for me to bite the bullet and find them a new home, where they will be used and appreciated. :unsmith:

Fyrbrand is an excellent painter and an all-round high class honourable dude. You should totally buy his Salamanders.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks 40k chums. :unsmith:

Sanford my orks found a new home 6 months ago or so, but I kept Big Mek Buzzgob and his grot buddies because he owns too hard to get rid of. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I didn't know that Space Wolves have no successor chapters. Is there a lore justification for that? Gene seed too messed up to be re-used?

• Locked thread