Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not sure what you mean by "sync" if shared albums work, and uploads work, and new photos are downloaded.

Like for example if I edit or delete a photo on my PC, that change isn't reflected back to the iCloud. That's how stuff like Google Drive works.

The only way I can make changes to the iCloud photos (aside from uploading new ones) is to do it on the phone itself. (I double checked and the Shared Albums actually don't 'sync' either, they just download new images the same way)

Like, it's certainly workable, but I much prefer the way the Google Drive can sync up the folders 1:1 between all devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iCloud on Windows is pretty poo poo, like most apple on Windows software they implement the minimum to claim it's supported and move on.

I just use iCloud.com on my Windows machine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Like for example if I edit or delete a photo on my PC, that change isn't reflected back to the iCloud.
Oh, right. I suppose on Windows you have separate upload and download folders, instead of just A Library in OS X.

Wonder what happens if you set the download and upload directories to the same place. Will it suck all the bandwidth out of the universe in a hellish loop of cat picture transmission?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Oh, right. I suppose on Windows you have separate upload and download folders, instead of just A Library in OS X.

Wonder what happens if you set the download and upload directories to the same place. Will it suck all the bandwidth out of the universe in a hellish loop of cat picture transmission?

It actually won't let you set them to be the same place. :v:

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Is it okay to plug my latest app?

I just re-released PopSpotter, which will show you filming locations and pop culture references near you (US only).
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/popspotter/id564557375?mt=8

I made this a few years ago (around iOS 6), but I updated it for modern iOS versions, refreshed the look, and swapped out the backend for a much better one. Now it'll be much easier for me to roll in new content. Right now there are several hundred places in there, but plenty more to come.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

hedgecore posted:

Is it okay to plug my latest app?

I just re-released PopSpotter, which will show you filming locations and pop culture references near you (US only).
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/popspotter/id564557375?mt=8

I made this a few years ago (around iOS 6), but I updated it for modern iOS versions, refreshed the look, and swapped out the backend for a much better one. Now it'll be much easier for me to roll in new content. Right now there are several hundred places in there, but plenty more to come.

Just tried it out and great idea but two comments- first, all the fuchsia is kinda making my eyes bleed, and second it's pulling up locations nowhere near me when I do a "Near You" search. Like, I'm in Austin, TX, so it finding the Office Space locations is great, but why is it also returning the Ferris Bueller locations in Chicago, and Breaking Bad spots in Albuquerque?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What's the best video to animated gif app. I don't mind spending a few bucks on something that's easy to use and full featured.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like 5Seconds Gif Maker.

Free to try, upgrade to full version is a couple bucks.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I like 5Seconds Gif Maker.

Free to try, upgrade to full version is a couple bucks.

Thanks. This is perfect. Instant upgrade.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I'm looking at getting some more furniture and rearranging my apartment a bit. The problem is it is quite small. Is there an app that I could use to measure my place, get dimensions and all that, and then throw in my furniture and arrange it on there? There look to be quite a few similar things on the app store but I was curious if anyone had any recommendations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Search for "room planner" on the App Store. First result does what you're asking for.

E: missed your last sentence. Ignore this.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is there an app that I can search for a torrent on a site, click a magnet link and it will download to a computer I've like, connected or added?

Not files, of course, but like large collections of food photos my friends have uploaded.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I kinda asked before, but I'm still looking for an app that can give me a remote keyboard for windows 10 on my ipad, but can do at least one crucial thing: open the projector selection (windows+p) so I can actually change my PC over to my TV when I'm on the sofa and want to play a game on it. I've tried Intel's remote keyboard thing and Remote Mouse, and in both cases it just opens the start menu as if I hadn't pushed p at all. There are various other problems I have run into but that is kind of key. Is that a thing that is just deliberately impossible in Windows for security reasons, or is there any way around it?

edit: is there any way using Bluetooth rather than the wireless system, for example?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 29, 2016

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is there an app that I can search for a torrent on a site, click a magnet link and it will download to a computer I've like, connected or added?

Not files, of course, but like large collections of food photos my friends have uploaded.

There is kind of a hacky solution using drop box and transmission (maybe utorrent as well)

Basically you save download the torrent to Dropbox and make that a watched folder for Transmission that will automatically add the torrent to itself and started downloading.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

YM "linux ISOs"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I wanted my computer to do something, I'd just use a remote desktop app.

Clicking a torrent link (or any link for that matter) on a phone and having something else start the download is such an obscure feature I can't imagine anyone's put the effort into implementing something like that.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Many torrent clients have web interfaces for the exact purpose of managing downloads/feeding it a torrent from another device

charsiu
Mar 10, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I kinda asked before, but I'm still looking for an app that can give me a remote keyboard for windows 10 on my ipad, but can do at least one crucial thing: open the projector selection (windows+p) so I can actually change my PC over to my TV when I'm on the sofa and want to play a game on it. I've tried Intel's remote keyboard thing and Remote Mouse, and in both cases it just opens the start menu as if I hadn't pushed p at all. There are various other problems I have run into but that is kind of key. Is that a thing that is just deliberately impossible in Windows for security reasons, or is there any way around it?

edit: is there any way using Bluetooth rather than the wireless system, for example?

Check out Unified Remote (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unified-remote/id825534179?mt=8). You might be able to get away with using the free version, but I haven't tested out the keyboard functionality since I mainly use it to power my PC on and off.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

The Gillman posted:

There is kind of a hacky solution using drop box and transmission (maybe utorrent as well)

Basically you save download the torrent to Dropbox and make that a watched folder for Transmission that will automatically add the torrent to itself and started downloading.

I used to do exactly this and it worked perfectly

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

The rear end Stooge posted:

I used to do exactly this and it worked perfectly

Yeah, worked perfectly thank you.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How do you download a torrent to Dropbox on your iPhone?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How do you download a torrent to Dropbox on your iPhone?

Open the torrent file in Safari, tap "Open in...", select "Save to Dropbox." You might have to enable the Dropbox icon in the More menu in the sharing window before it appears.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I miss Qouch. I'm doing the whole dropbox watchfolder thing, which works well enough. Qouch was just prettier.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I think the Dropbox app is pretty :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

charsiu posted:

Check out Unified Remote (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unified-remote/id825534179?mt=8). You might be able to get away with using the free version, but I haven't tested out the keyboard functionality since I mainly use it to power my PC on and off.
That one seems to do it! Thanks.

edit: messing around with it more, I guess I can't hold down keys, it treats that as hitting the key repeatedly. Is it impossible to make a remote keyboard like this that is 1:1 with a real keyboard?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 1, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So hey, Spark updated to an iPad app but now I can't change like any settings (badges, swipe customizations, stuff like that) on either the phone or the iPad, depending on which gets installed first. I've told the dev but so far, nothing. Anyone else have this issue?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Teamviewer will let you do this, just tried it out myself.

Teamviewer in general just works with anything Windows security related, it's invaluable to have around for something like a Steam Link or other remote box that shits itself when an elevated app pops up.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 1, 2016

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

porktree posted:

I miss Qouch. I'm doing the whole dropbox watchfolder thing, which works well enough. Qouch was just prettier.

I still have it, but it's barely functional now. Also I switched off of Sickbeard and barely use CP, so it just works with SAB.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Can anyone recommend a really good flowcharting app? I have a Pro + Pencil, and would ideally have something that lets me sketch what I need and then the app makes it pretty.

Edit: As in I draw stuff freehand and it vectorizes/simplifies it to standard flowchart shapes etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

metztli posted:

Can anyone recommend a really good flowcharting app? I have a Pro + Pencil, and would ideally have something that lets me sketch what I need and then the app makes it pretty.

Edit: As in I draw stuff freehand and it vectorizes/simplifies it to standard flowchart shapes etc.

Most of the decent note-taking apps like Notability and Good Notes will do basic shapes with Pencil support. I'm not sure it will let you sketch it out and then pretty it up. It's more you put them into "shape" mode and sketch a rectangle and it makes a proper rectangle.

As far as "really good" flowcharting app, you won't go better than OmniGraffle. But you definitely want to get work to buy it for you unless you have a lot of disposable income. If you want to manipulate VXD format, you'll need the pro upgrade (additional $49.99). It does have some layout issues with older format VSD files, but I almost never come across those anymore at work. It will also work well with the OS X version. I'm not in a position to test it with the Pencil (I forgot it on my desk at work), but I don't see anything showing it supports it past iOS treating it as just another stylus.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A while back we talked about Tv show tracker apps. I got the recommended one, the app icon is just called "Shows". Not sure if that is the full name or just an icon abbreviation.
Anyhow, I like it, but it keeps getting poo poo wrong. Anyone know why? Last night it takes of me Limitless was on but it is not until next week. Tonight it told me Arrow is on but it took a one month (or whatever) break.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also have the Shows app and see the same thing. I think it's an issue from their source as a number of shows are seeing weird updates or lack of updates.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Hey thread I have some potentially dumb questions.

Firstly, how much of a drain on battery is the citymapper widget?

Second, I've finally given up with the stock mail app. If I'm using gmail what 3rd party app should I be using? I just downloaded Inbox and it seems pretty good.

Finally what's the best swype style keyboard at the moment. I've tried swiftkey and swype and am currently using touch pal which is fine but some suggestions are emojis which is :barf:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Nintype!

...is what I'd say if third party keyboard support wasn't hosed up still.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Keyboard support isn't so bad after 9.2 in my experience, and Nintype is still the best 3rd party keyboard, hands down.

I don't know how the CityMapper widget works, but it'll really depend on how it uses your GPS - filled GPS icon means a pretty sizable drain, empty icon means less but still really noticeable in my experience, so you'll probably need to test-drive it yourself. If you're using it to locate nearby bus stops and their arrival times, I'd suggest checking out Transit if it supports your city - its widget doesn't start using your GPS until you pull down the Notification Center.

I use Inbox personally because it suits my needs, but some people here like Spark and Outlook.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
1Blocker is loving up again and leaving pages even ones like the Google search result page half unrendered/blank and forcing me to hit stop, refresh without content blockers in order to get a drat page loaded. The last time this happened their support suggested I get rid of custom blocking rules of which I only had one (to block The Deck ads) but now I only have the defaults. Before they got back to me on how to fix that issue that last time I used Adamant in the interim and now I'm just deleting 1Blocker and replacing it with Adamant because screw this.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I've definitely noticed a couple different content blockers are having issues with quite a few sites lately. Specifically it seems like the CSS of sites are being blocked more frequently and I'm not sure if sites are doing it intentionally or it's just a weird side effect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Third party keyboard support is terrible and not worth it.

Nintype is interesting if you've ever wanted typing to be like playing a video game, I guess.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

Third party keyboard support is terrible and not worth it.

Nintype is interesting if you've ever wanted typing to be like playing a video game, I guess.

Specifically, Dark Souls, because you'll lose the game every ten seconds and have no clue how or why. Nintype is(was) great on jailbreak, but I'm fairly certain Apple will never allocate a proper amount of device memory to 3rd party keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Any good pencil supported apps that teach you how to draw?