Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hyper Inferno posted:

There's a bit where Alphinaud talks about drawing people from memory and how he'll never forget what Y'shtola looked like when she came out naked out of the lifestream.

That part can be attributed to PHRASING. The real giveaway is Krile outing the fact that his art skills were originally developed for the purpose of impressing girls at school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Volume posted:

You guys can argue about what real content is all you want. All I know is when I was in some zone I ran into some NPC in this weird stone temple that stood out. I figured since it looked so out of place the quest that this NPC have must be fun. Lol no it was another "slay three wolves please" at level 50. So nah I'm good on the side quests

I can't tell if you're being facetious or are just stupid or what.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I play video games to have fun. Why would I waste my time clearing quests that I don't find fun?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Volume posted:

I play video games to have fun. Why would I waste my time clearing quests that I don't find fun?

Why do you play MMOs?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Volume posted:

So running across a map at a much slower speed is more fun for you? Or, alternatively, has every video game you've played been 100% fun with no annoying aspects to them? Get real, man.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

Why do you play MMOs?

I don't play MMOs. I play one because a friend kept pestering me to try it and I found the dungeons fun so I kept going to see more of those.

seiferguy posted:

So running across a map at a much slower speed is more fun for you? Or, alternatively, has every video game you've played been 100% fun with no annoying aspects to them? Get real, man.

It's not that running around is fun its that tracking down every single point on every single zone doesn't sound fun. They could have made a single quest line and at the end of it all you feel in tune with the winds of the world and bam done but I guess that's too easy?

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 3, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Volume posted:

I don't play MMOs. I play one because a friend kept pestering me to try it and I found the dungeons fun so I kept going to see more of those.

Playing an MMO if you hate quests is like watching a comedy if you hate jokes.

quote:

It's not that running around is fun its that tracking down every single point on every single zone doesn't sound fun. They could have made a single quest line and at the end of it all you feel in tune with the winds of the world and bam done but I guess that's too easy?

You're making it sound way worse than it is.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

Playing an MMO if you hate quests is like watching a comedy if you hate jokes.

You're making it sound way worse than it is.

And here I thought I was having fun with dungeons and raids. Sorry for having the wrong kind of fun.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Volume posted:

And here I thought I was having fun with dungeons and raids. Guess I was wrong

Playing a game for 1/4 of its content doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
It's interesting that you like one variety of repetitive content, but you don't like content that isn't repetitive and in-fact forces you to explore parts of zones you might not see otherwise.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sekret posted:

It's interesting that you like one variety of repetitive content, but you don't like content that isn't repetitive and in-fact forces you to explore parts of zones you might not see otherwise.

Yeah it's almost like different people have different ideas on whats fun. Weird huh?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Volume posted:

Yeah it's almost like different people have different ideas on whats fun. Weird huh?

Funny thing is, by refusing to do this, you're limiting yourself from several of the things you supposedly enjoy! You won't be able to unlock 60DR or Void Ark.

I get that you've dug in and can't admit that you're wrong now, but this is getting to the point of absurdity.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I could do without 60dr. As for void ark I'll probably just do the bare minimum needed. If it's actually unlock flying everywhere then I'll just pass.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Volume posted:

I was more put off by the fact that you act like you're somehow smarter than us sheeple for not enjoying such lovely content as side quests.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Volume posted:

You guys can argue about what real content is all you want. All I know is when I was in some zone I ran into some NPC in this weird stone temple that stood out. I figured since it looked so out of place the quest that this NPC have must be fun. Lol no it was another "slay three wolves please" at level 50. So nah I'm good on the side quests

Volume posted:

I could do without 60dr. As for void ark I'll probably just do the bare minimum needed. If it's actually unlock flying everywhere then I'll just pass.

Sorry bud, you are a goddamn retard and really should change your name to "Smelly Ballsack Guy".

E: Are you the same dude who stopped the MSQ at 25 or whatever where you unlocked your Chocobo and then FATE ground to 50 hoping to unlock DRK and continue the MSQ as an Emo Sword Warrior?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 3, 2016

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001

Volume posted:

hahaha I hope you continue posting in this thread. It's almost like having another ffxiv.txt/technogeek.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I did all the sidequests because the alternative of either chain running fates or waiting in dps queues to run the fuckin Aery or whatever over and over again were infinitely less appealing

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

I was more put off by the fact that you act like you're somehow smarter than us sheeple for not enjoying such lovely content as side quests.

Lol I don't actually care or think I'm better than any of you all. I haven't insulted any one here for how they choose to play their game unlike the people here calling me stupid because I want to focus on what I have fun with.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Volume posted:

Lol I don't actually care or think I'm better than any of you all. I haven't insulted any one here for how they choose to play their game unlike the people here calling me stupid because I want to focus on what I have fun with.

No, we're calling you stupid because you're making stupid decisions.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nipponophile posted:

No, we're calling you stupid because you're making stupid decisions.

It's a video game, man.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm mainly just curious how far this rabbit hole goes and how much content and features are still locked for him behind side quests.

Hildibrand? Crystal Tower? Coil? The challenge log? Retainer ventures? Job crystals? Beast tribes? gently caress.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

You're literally a guy who plays fighting games for the single player content.

Which is fine, and I'm more confused by why so many people in this thread seem to be increasingly offended by it, and are making themselves sound like assholes in the process of complaining about it.

If you overheard someone mention that they like pizza, but not tomato sauce, would you launch into an hour long diatribe about how you can't like pizza without liking tomato sauce, and if you order your pizza with half sauce you might as well not even bother?

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Are there Thordan or Sephirot birbs yet? I haven't seen them yet. ISO pics.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

It's a video game, man.

Right but you're bizarrely smug about punching yourself in the dick. I mean OK you like to raid. Except that you literally can't do this or the next tier unless you've unlocked flying. You're limiting your own access to content because you won't expend a television commercial break's worth of time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The correct thing to do is level a DPS class first to get all that sweet main&sidequest xp and clear out all of the quests.

Then it doesn't matter which quests have aether or whatnot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Volume posted:

It's a video game, man.

Have you...actually unlocked any aether currents or are you just working off of what somebody told you it's like? You click the aether compass. It literally tells you exactly where to go. They are usually places in close proximity to where the MSQ takes you as you progress in those zones. You click the thing. That's it. It's completely effortless. There is no valid counter argument here. Just unlock flight or you're kinda retarded. :shrug:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Given how much endgame stuff is gated behind flight, it makes sense just to take twenty minutes of your time just to go around and poke at a few glowy things on each of the HW maps.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah besides Dungeons and Raids locked behind flying, you'll need flying for gathering classes.

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread

Volume posted:

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001

(Sorry for the host, I can't pass imgur's capchas for some reason)

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an extra Heavensward key from the recent Gamestop sale? I missed out and don't want to pay $40 for that crap.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Captain Oblivious posted:

Have you...actually unlocked any aether currents or are you just working off of what somebody told you it's like? You click the aether compass. It literally tells you exactly where to go. They are usually places in close proximity to where the MSQ takes you as you progress in those zones. You click the thing. That's it. It's completely effortless. There is no valid counter argument here. Just unlock flight or you're kinda retarded. :shrug:

That, and people in the thread have offered to use their 2-seat mounts to help speed it up. Hell, I did the aether current thing not knowing that the compass led me in the correct direction!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Sekret posted:

(Sorry for the host, I can't pass imgur's capchas for some reason)

Alex 13 confirmed. :allears:

(Also imgur's having problems I think)

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Klades posted:

You're literally a guy who plays fighting games for the single player content.

Which is fine, and I'm more confused by why so many people in this thread seem to be increasingly offended by it, and are making themselves sound like assholes in the process of complaining about it.

If you overheard someone mention that they like pizza, but not tomato sauce, would you launch into an hour long diatribe about how you can't like pizza without liking tomato sauce, and if you order your pizza with half sauce you might as well not even bother?

It's actually more like hearing someone mention that they like pizza, but they refuse to eat any of the crust or base.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Tildryn posted:

It's actually more like hearing someone mention that they like pizza, but they refuse to eat any of the crust or base.

Which still doesn't warrant telling them that they're eating the pizza wrong over and over again.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Klades posted:

Which still doesn't warrant telling them that they're eating the pizza wrong over and over again.

It does if they're in the pizza eating thread.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Klades posted:

If we're going with a pizza analogy, can it be said that some toppings are more appealing to some people than others. I love anchovies on mine, but I might be an uncommon case. There's certainly other toppings other people might enjoy that I can't stand, but if I'm with friends at a pizza party, someone already ordered cheese, supreme and meat lovers. But dang man, it's pizza and I'll help them eat it.

Now, I've been playing FF XIV for maybe two weeks. I love the atmosphere, I love the polish, and the little bits of character TINY BALTIMORE shows is incredibly endearing and I feel more invested in a potato than other characters I played for years up to and including Ultima Online.

The honeymoon hasn't worn off, but they don't last forever. When they added flying to the latest WoW expansion, I burned out doing the questing prereqs, one of which was gated by a daily. Months later, I still can't fly there. I'd probably care if I logged in wanting to do anything there. It means I can relate to someone who might not want be motivated to do X to get around, even if they like A through Y and Z.

To Volume, I can only recommend doing whatever you can with friends-friends and goons made perfectly unenjoyable games into legendary experiences.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
its more like loving anchovies but refusing to get your anchovies any other way than by ordering personal pizzas from a small italian place in boise, idaho instead of going to the store and buying anchovies

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Am I the only one in here still doing Diadem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tortolia posted:

I'm mainly just curious how far this rabbit hole goes and how much content and features are still locked for him behind side quests.

Hildibrand? Crystal Tower? Coil? The challenge log? Retainer ventures? Job crystals? Beast tribes? gently caress.

Started hildibrand because every one kept raving about it. Kind of went on too long though and it got boring so I just stopped doing it.

Cleared crystal tower

Need to clear t9 still.

Not interested in challenge log l.

Not interested in retainer ventures.

Not interested in beast tribes

I've only been leveling WHM so don't really see a reason to hunt out the other job crystals.

Iron Tusk posted:

Right but you're bizarrely smug about punching yourself in the dick. I mean OK you like to raid. Except that you literally can't do this or the next tier unless you've unlocked flying. You're limiting your own access to content because you won't expend a television commercial break's worth of time.
I'm willing to do side quests and other things if they lead to fun stuff and I even said if it's actually mandatory for some zones I'll do that. I'm willing to do some to get void ark but if it's actually locked behind "fly in every zone" I'll probably pass. If it's one zone sure.

Skaw posted:

Yeah besides Dungeons and Raids locked behind flying, you'll need flying for gathering classes.

I don't have any gathering classes so not really missing out here

This might make sense if 1) I insulted you guys for how you play your game and 2) my lack of doing these some how locked you guys out of doing it much like the second player there can't play tic TAC toe due to the first players lack of cooperation.

• Locked thread