Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farg
Nov 19, 2013
some things locked behind flying

the final boss of heavensward
all of the ex primal except 2
the raids
the other raid
alexander normal
exploratory missions
the respect of your peers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Volume posted:

Started hildibrand because every one kept raving about it. Kind of went on too long though and it got boring so I just stopped doing it.

Cleared crystal tower

Need to clear t9 still.

Not interested in challenge log l.

Not interested in retainer ventures.

Not interested in beast tribes

I've only been leveling WHM so don't really see a reason to hunt out the other job crystals.

I'm willing to do side quests and other things if they lead to fun stuff and I even said if it's actually mandatory for some zones I'll do that. I'm willing to do some to get void ark but if it's actually locked behind "fly in every zone" I'll probably pass. If it's one zone sure.

I don't have any gathering classes so not really missing out here

This might make sense if 1) I insulted you guys for how you play your game and 2) my lack of doing these some how locked you guys out of doing it much like the second player there can't play tic TAC toe due to the first players lack of cooperation.

Please tell me you have Swiftcast. If you don't have Swiftcast you are cancer as a healer and I wish many painful (ingame) deaths upon you.

E: If you don't have swiftcast you are a terrible healer and you will be pretty much directly responsible for many of your party's wipes in content.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I don't like quests, fates, and dungeons. I want to grind mobs like Tanaka wanted.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Except that's not quite Tanaka's true vision. In his vision of the game, gaining XP at all was a random chance every time you used a skill.

Not a joke. That's how leveling worked in 1.0.

Oh, and there was a separate "leveling" system for earning bonus points that was entirely unrelated to the class level. You also gained points to that as a random chance.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I finally got gear with a materia slot on it. I'm a filthy casual so I was not prepared for this day. What is my melding stat priority as a WAR?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GlitchThief posted:

I finally got gear with a materia slot on it. I'm a filthy casual so I was not prepared for this day. What is my melding stat priority as a WAR?

(acc) > STR > crit > det > SkS

Acc if you're using materia as part of capping only, STR in all accessories.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Niton posted:

(acc) > STR > crit > det > SkS

Acc if you're using materia as part of capping only, STR in all accessories.

Yep, don't feel bad about melding Accuracy if you need it. You can remove materia from slots at Mutamix's camp in Central Thanalan, so you can always replace it later.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Or, if you're a healer, melding accuracy into every slot and never taking it out :qq:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Praise Tanaka! Deliver us from Yoshi the Deceiver!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Please tell me you have Swiftcast. If you don't have Swiftcast you are cancer as a healer and I wish many painful (ingame) deaths upon you.

E: If you don't have swiftcast you are a terrible healer and you will be pretty much directly responsible for many of your party's wipes in content.

Yeah, swiftcast is super important for healers even at 50.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vOv posted:

Yeah, swiftcast is super important for healers even at 50.

I ran a vault yesterday with a WHM who did not have THM even unlocked, we wiped 4 times to the final boss, each time due to the healer stopping to raise a DPS who died due to the healer not managing their MP properly. They didn't even have Assize apparently because I never saw it used.

The other two bosses were a painful slog from 20% to 0 due to the above mentioned issue, with just myself and the healer remaining alive and the healer completely bottomed out on MP.

We eventually cleared it when the DPS stopped taking any chances to get extra damage in at risk to their HP, and when I taught the WHM what Shroud of Saints does. :negative:

The only reason we stuck it out was one of the DPS was new and needed the clear for the MSQ.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hi, I think sidequests are, 90% of the time, extremely uninteresting, too.

I like the MSQ and cool dungeons and cool raids, which is why I play(well, played, but I'm probably gonna resubscribe at the end of the month) FFXIV, cuz it has a lot of that.

With that said, IIRC it's relatively quick to unlock flying even with the necessary sidequests and you're only making things much, much harder on yourself not doing it.

EDIT: Also Hildy. I like Hildy.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 4, 2016

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
Got the Vanu Vanu Sanuwa mount today. Kinda disappointed it doesn't have a nondamaging version of the Air Buffet ability that they had during dailies.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Sekret posted:

Got the Vanu Vanu Sanuwa mount today. Kinda disappointed it doesn't have a nondamaging version of the Air Buffet ability that they had during dailies.

I'm still sad that the Witch's Broom doesn't have the Cantrip ability attached to it.

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Skaw posted:

I don't like quests, fates, and dungeons. I want to grind mobs like Tanaka wanted.

You kid, but I have actually known someone who refused to do anything other than grind world mobs. Wouldn't do the MSQ, or dungeons.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

With that said, IIRC it's relatively quick to unlock flying even with the necessary sidequests and you're only making things much, much harder on yourself not doing it.

It's incredibly quick/easy, and the game practically shuttles you to each point as the story progresses. This guy is going to drop by the thread in like a week moaning about how he's going to quit because it takes him forever to get anywhere while adamantly refusing to perform the arduous task of clicking like 8 things that are on the side of the road anyway.

and it's going to be hilarious

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sekret posted:

There's a good reason for that, they want you to stay mounted when you do the quests that require you to use it. Probably because of the level syncing.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Yeah OK forgot that I levels THM for swiftcast and it sucked. Not swiftcast, the grinding out levels.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Honestly they just need to make it so you literally can't progress in the MSQ past maybe 40 or 50 without your job stone equipped.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

vOv posted:

Honestly they just need to make it so you literally can't progress in the MSQ past maybe 40 or 50 without your job stone equipped.

They need to make it so you can't gain exp past 30 without your job stone equipped and have it permanently equipped whenever you're in a class that you've gotten it for, because some people are dumbasses who try to go into end game content as basic jobs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

vOv posted:

Or hell, 30 because c'mon.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

There's a good reason for that, they want you to stay mounted when you do the quests that require you to use it. Probably because of the level syncing.

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. I just want an animation on button press like the Goobbue's sneeze or the MagiTek's guns/lolsplosion. I had expected that the Sanuwa would have the Wind Buffet ability in similar fashion.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sekret posted:

I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. I just want an animation on button press like the Goobbue's sneeze or the MagiTek's guns/lolsplosion. I had expected that the Sanuwa would have the Wind Buffet ability in similar fashion.

If it had Wind Buffet then people would be able to use their own mounts doing those dailies instead of the one the NPC gives you.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

If it had Wind Buffet then people would be able to use their own mounts doing those dailies instead of the one the NPC gives you.

...Can you use the Goobbue mount's Sneeze to do the sylph dailies?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kwyndig posted:

Pretty sure he just wants a vanity ability like the other mounts have, not one that replaces the one the daily mount has.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sekret posted:

I'm not sure anyone has ever tried, because gently caress sylph tribe.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Sekret posted:

The fire breath mount doesn't work for the Amalj'aa dailies so I doubt that works.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001

Saucer Crab posted:

The fire breath mount doesn't work for the Amalj'aa dailies so I doubt that works.

You answered my second question, which was whether or not the Amaljaa Drake had fire breath.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Sekret posted:

You answered my second question, which was whether or not the Amaljaa Drake had fire breath.

Sahagin one has water breath, too.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001

Verranicus posted:

So that means the Ixali Direwolf (I'm assuming; I don't have this) and the Kobold Bombchair are the only two ARR rep mounts that don't have a vanity move. Has Vath been out long enough for anyone to get that mount yet?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Sekret posted:

So that means the Ixali Direwolf (I'm assuming; I don't have this) and the Kobold Bombchair are the only two ARR rep mounts that don't have a vanity move. Has Vath been out long enough for anyone to get that mount yet?

Vath haven't been out long enough, but the Bomb Palaquin does at least fly instead. Direwolf doesn't do anything except look like a wolf.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sekret posted:

Bomb chair can fly and also it's a goddamn metal lawn chair that flies due to creatures who are literal explosives jesus Christ we all should win darwin awards for using this thing

But yeah, the dire wolf is just gangly and ugly looking. It's a neat mount but generic land mounts without vanity abilities or special music are boring.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Elbst mobs have water breath, but the Elbst mount does not have it as a emote.

Tortolia posted:

Bomb chair can fly and also it's a goddamn metal lawn chair that flies due to creatures who are literal explosives jesus Christ we all should win darwin awards for using this thing

That's how Bo Bu did it. That's how O'Ghomoro does it. And it's worked out pretty well so far.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 4, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm gonna fly cause it sounds neat, but I gotta admit that beast tribes and crafting are also on my "Not interested at all" list.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The bomb palanquin can only be rode as a machinist, so that you can shoot the bombs when you need to come down.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SonicRulez posted:

I'm gonna fly cause it sounds neat, but I gotta admit that beast tribes and crafting are also on my "Not interested at all" list.

FF14 crafting is neat in that there's nothing else quite like it and that it has a fair amount of depth. I recommend at least trying it to see how it works, because I can't really think of anything to even compare it to.

But the barrier to entry for serious crafting...hoo boy. It is not for the faint of heart.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Definitely try crafting, even if it's just five minutes of messing around with it. The fact that they made the DoH guilds into actual classes with skills and abilities that have to be intelligently used is pretty drat novel.

Gathering too though that's much more on autopilot. Fishing is fun at least.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I knew Hildibrand wouldn't be quite as great as people said, but I can't hate on a quest where a guy gets German Suplexed.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Volume posted:

Not interested in challenge log l.

The challenge log is just tons of free exp for doing things you were going to do anyway. And it takes like 2 minutes to unlock, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SonicRulez posted:

I knew Hildibrand wouldn't be quite as great as people said, but I can't hate on a quest where a guy gets German Suplexed.

Hildibrand is overhyped, it's true, but it's still immensely charming and fun.

You gotta have an appreciation for slapstick though I suppose.

• Locked thread