Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Berke Negri posted:

i think you need to willfully insert personal feelings to think that jesus did not think of himself as divine, as there is no proof he didn't

okay, i get that.

I still think you should read him btw, i really enjoyed "Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth" a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Berke Negri posted:

he still is really defensive about having a tiny dick though

and tiny fingers

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sinnlos posted:

Yes. Ehrman's assertion that Jesus was merely a apocalyptic cult leader who expected to die in the apocalypse himself, has no real ground to stand on.

Yeah, there's a lot of revisionism that smacks of, even from an atheist stand point, trying to rehabilitate jesus or the gospels and i think that's kind of wrong but i can get the politics behind it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Isn't revising Jesus to just be some guy just basically trying to poo poo on Christianity.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

it's very interesting reading about jesus mythicists b/c the loops they tie themselves into can get very intellectually dishonest in a very complex way

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Rollofthedice posted:

okay, i get that.

I still think you should read him btw, i really enjoyed "Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth" a lot

i mean it isn't really my scene anymore, but i've been reading this all for awhile

instead of getting laid i spent a lot of high school reading pagels et al

the question of did jesus exist is typically a non-starter as "yes" outside of a very dedicated fringe though

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rollofthedice posted:

so does every lonely teenager on the face of the goddamn earth, venom snake

either be the change you want to be or shut the gently caress up

hey i didn't bring it up

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Berke Negri posted:

getting real mad about paul as well, comes off as revisionist to me towards some kind of imagined good times before things went bad kind of thinking

the good times is before christianity was an established church and part of the imperial power structure and thus did exist, from a certain point of view

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Rollofthedice posted:

it's very interesting reading about jesus mythicists b/c the loops they tie themselves into can get very intellectually dishonest in a very complex way

Same with the writings of Ehrman. How Jesus Became God is, quite frankly, a load of crock, that willfully ignores what we know about the Levant in the early Common Era.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

we need more jesus scholars imo

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

hey i didn't bring it up

yes you did

Venom Snake posted:

i wish i had dates

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

site posted:

Isn't revising Jesus to just be some guy just basically trying to poo poo on Christianity.

it depends how you're framing this but a lot of people involved in bible criticism and studies can be former very devout christians so you can sometimes get this like feedback loop where they still try to rehabilitate Christ while trying to parcel out all the religion/mythology around him

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

UberJew posted:

the good times is before christianity was an established church and part of the imperial power structure and thus did exist, from a certain point of view

also wrong i think

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

he meant the fruit of the date palm

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Berke Negri posted:

it depends how you're framing this but a lot of people involved in bible criticism and studies can be former very devout christians so you can sometimes get this like feedback loop where they still try to rehabilitate Christ while trying to parcel out all the religion/mythology around him

Well okay, I guess my question is what is the end goal of making him just a loony but charismatic guy?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

"everything going wrong once the church was institutionalized apart of rome" is another big red flag of mine

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

UberJew posted:

Getting brutally tortured and executed: good times. :yikes:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so this was my internal monologue for the past 7 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3utP44UWmY

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

"everything going wrong once the church was institutionalized apart of rome" is another big red flag of mine

i didn't know many people still followed the edward gibbon way of looking at things

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

site posted:

Well okay, I guess my question is what is the end goal of making him just a loony but charismatic guy?

i mean politely you generally leave the interpretation open to "maybe he was right" but otherwise i mean how else do you parse it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Berke Negri posted:

no im saying it became bad because rome was unjust and awful in specific and established churches are bad in general

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the baptist approach

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Rollofthedice posted:

i didn't know many people still followed the edward gibbon way of looking at things

my man have you read an SA thread on religion, or anywhere, ever

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

my man have you read an SA thread on religion, or anywhere, ever

actually i try not to, but okay, let me rephrase that

i didn't know many people who wrote books about christianity still followed the edward gibbon way of looking at things

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Am I going to watch this debate or play video games

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Berke Negri posted:

i mean politely you generally leave the interpretation open to "maybe he was right" but otherwise i mean how else do you parse it

Sorry, I need to start closing down at work but I mean, does that kind of revisionism "help" his message or the church somehow in the eyes of the people doing the revising?

What are they trying to accomplish by saying ”look he wasn't really divine, but...”?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Am I going to watch this debate or play video games

play video games, the debates have all been really boring outside of a handful of soundbites you can watch the next day

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ehrman: Jesus Christ

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

UberJew posted:

no im saying it became bad because rome was unjust and awful in specific and established churches are bad in general

i mean yeah sure

though the thing is even before constantine the church was already very integrated and woven through roman society

there's a reason why it became the state religion, in a way, and it wasn't like throwing poo poo at dart boards

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Berke Negri posted:

i mean yeah sure

though the thing is even before constantine the church was already very integrated and woven through roman society

there's a reason why it became the state religion, in a way, and it wasn't like throwing poo poo at dart boards

or maybe Constantine did witness a divine miracle

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

site posted:

Sorry, I need to start closing down at work but I mean, does that kind of revisionism "help" his message or the church somehow in the eyes of the people doing the revising?

What are they trying to accomplish by saying ”look he wasn't really divine, but...”?

i don't think biblical criticism should be generally concerned with "helping" jesus and his message

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

play video games, the debates have all been really boring outside of a handful of soundbites you can watch the next day
I think the last one was amazing and this one is ripe for hilarity

My thing is that my sinuses make me want to die right now and I'm not sure I can concentrate on games, but I'm also not sure that I can stand to watch the debate

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Avshalom posted:

are you going to keep throwing babby tantrums every single time i'm mentioned for the next twenty years because i once insulted you in ladythread

Avshalom posted:

but yes what this forum needs is less jokes, more:

and posts about foot surgery and your modern history phd in a thread meant specifically for women

Avshalom posted:

in closing, no woman will ever love you as much as i love ariel sharon, and no woman will ever even love you as much as i love bibi

lol

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Berke Negri posted:

i mean yeah sure

yeah for obvious reasons I do not actually have strong opinions or significant knowledge of the early church so I wouldn't make any claim more specific than I just did

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jagchosis posted:

does trump consider himself divine

no thats a word he'd use to describe his daughter

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
bill oreilly and dana perino arzying it up on the pre-debate show

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

sinnlos is there a halfway decent general history of christianity out there

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

UberJew posted:

yeah for obvious reasons I do not actually have strong opinions or significant knowledge of the early church so I wouldn't make any claim more specific than I just did

i mean the early church definitely existed differently for two and a half centuries prior to i guess you could say recognition but generally i lean on the side of when it did become official it wasnt like "actual" christianity was being tarnished but just finally codified

though there were deffo disputes left and right what that christianity "was" before

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

dana perino

that's a name that takes me back