Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Lowen posted:

I've just started a new game with the scarab starting option, it's really good... In case you were wondering, the temporal shell ship ability really is bullet time.

it's really funny firing like 3 annihilator volleys before the first one hits.

Network Pesci posted:

Bombing Run

Rapid Fire

:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I've played some more scarab, soloing bounty fleets. So far the best I've done is either two 20k bounties at once or a 50k bounty.

Now all the fighter groups, frigates, and destroyers I've found are my bitch, and I can take on entire fleets because stopping time makes it super easy to isolate what I want to kill.

How did it get that damaged? Same way it was finished off.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Turin Turambar posted:

Please post your sickest Starsector.gifs, I want them for a post in another forum.

(original credit to Sy on the FSW forums here http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9278.msg169784#msg169784 )

Tanith fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 27, 2016

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

Please post your sickest Starsector.gifs, I want them for a post in another forum.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/78yflWU.webm

http://i.imgur.com/RJADI0s.webm

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I am having no luck finding a Conquest to buy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kersch posted:

I am having no luck finding a Conquest to buy

In the mod‐less game, I had success at the Independent military market on Nortia (Askonia system).

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Platystemon posted:

In the mod‐less game, I had success at the Independent military market on Nortia (Askonia system).

I'll give that a shot, thanks

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The worst part of a new update: Waiting for all of the mods to update.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

By your command (I only have the one though):

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Despite the youtube walkthru, I've had 0 luck getting any of the mods to run and ~80% of the time everytime I touch ANYTHING in the installation folder, the game won't start.

Vanilla until I get a new PC I guess :iiam:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Are you playing 0.7.2a or what? Nobody has updated their mods yet.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Are you playing 0.7.2a or what? Nobody has updated their mods yet.

I tried modding it a couple days ago too, pretty much the same problem. Even pumping up the RAM allocation the vmparams file locks me out.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Did you properly replace your jre folder in the Starsector directory, and are you trying to run any outdated mods? Not that you'll have any luck until people start patching their stuff, as of right now.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I don't have a 64bit OS, so I can't get the 64bit Java, which is probably the issue.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah, bumping up the memory allocation isn't gonna work for you if you aren't on a 64-bit OS and can't use 64-bit Java.

Most mods should work fine without that fix, it's just that you'll be limited in the number of mods you can run at once.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

MShadowy posted:

This always makes me cackle maniacally.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

robotsinmyhead posted:

I don't have a 64bit OS, so I can't get the 64bit Java, which is probably the issue.

:wtc:

How do you not have a 64 bit OS in 2016?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Gwaihir posted:

My school's laptop store only offered 32-bit Windows for whatever reason. :v: Maybe he had the same problem.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Unless they've changed something you can get the 64 bit upgrade for free.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MShadowy posted:

"bonk!"

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Gwaihir posted:

I've been putting off an upgrade for... ever.

edit: upgrade put in. your gentle ribbing put me over the edge.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 29, 2016

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Can someone more talented than I make a mod that starts playing yakkety sax whenever I have a phase cloak engaged?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
on that note, how's mod rebalancing all those now obscenely overpowered phase destroyers and cruisers coming along

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

yaay posted:

on that note, how's mod rebalancing all those now obscenely overpowered phase destroyers and cruisers coming along

I wouldn't really call them overpowered so much as really, really annoying.

I'm sick of having my entire fleet chase a single shade around the map until it runs out of Cr and explodes on its own.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

I'm sick of having my entire fleet chase a single shade around the map until it runs out of Cr and explodes on its own.

Haven't played the new update yet but if this is true then it sounds like it didn't actually fix the problem with phasing. Like, at all.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Haven't played the new update yet but if this is true then it sounds like it didn't actually fix the problem with phasing. Like, at all.

So far the only thing I've noticed that lets you kill a shade without having to spend days following it around is an AI quirk which seems to make it ignore point defence weapons and not phase if they're only in the firing arc of PD weapons and no other weapon types. So currently what I do is fly an Enforcer with 2 heavy machine guns on the back at the shade rear end first and hope it decides that those aren't real bullets and just sits there and takes them.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Turin Turambar posted:

Although this isn't a gif, it's a pretty good vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNcyzVTVMT4

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Hammer ship with accidentally recorded Coast to Coast AM audio:
http://youtu.be/-AiI4TnAdWg

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Combat Chatter has been updated for 0.7.2a and there's a jar you can download for Nexellerin that makes it work with 0.7.2a. I'm playing a vanilla Nexellerin game as Tri-tachyon and it seems to work fine.

I made a video of me shooting a very large Ludd fleet with lasers. I'm pretty happy with the music synchronization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_3_28JrEo

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Got the new Blackrock update out

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4018.msg183274#msg183274

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FFFffffuck yes!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The new phase frigate mechanics are damned fun to play with, especially when you have Helmsmanship 10 and can keep the turbo boost going even with a bit of flux buildup.

E: A phase fleet is still stupidly expensive to run, but I've had some success with carting around a bunch of captured Cerberus(D)s as pack mules that can occasionally shoot back.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I was recommended this game and various gifs, videos and descriptions made it sound cool so I bought it.

Does it get any better? I've restarted about five times because if I try to do anything at all I almost immediately have some big fleet of ships attacking me out of no where and I can't escape, get blown up and so on. About the most I can do is dock with the station that you start next to, if I do anything else I just get attacked and die right away. poo poo, I don't even know if I like the game at all because I can't see any of it. :(

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
When starting out you'll want to join in on battles between larger fleets rather than going it alone. Stay closer to the Hegemony fleets (orange) and follow them around as they hunt pirates. Especially look for fleets that say "hunting/searching for Pirate X" because those fleets have sighted pirates. When you see two fleets in contact with each other, click on one of them to join the battle.

Your starting ship should usually be fast enough to run away from everything if need be, but you'll have to use the Emergency Thrusters ability on your hotbar at the bottom of the screen, because enemy fleets can and will use that ability to boost themselves while chasing you.

Try to avoid going to other systems until you've earned a bit of cash and maybe an extra ship or two, but when you enter Hyperspace, turn your transponder off to avoid showing up on pirate sensors. Turn it back on once you enter a system, because the local authorities don't like you running dark.

Edit: also don't be too afraid of dying or running away early in the game. Early on you should be able to just hit "attempt to disengage" and fly off the top of the screen in the pursuit battle practically unmolested, and if you do end up dying you just get respawned in a new frigate and lose some money.

If you somehow chose starting options that made you hostile to the Hegemony, god help you.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 4, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I was recommended this game and various gifs, videos and descriptions made it sound cool so I bought it.

Does it get any better? I've restarted about five times because if I try to do anything at all I almost immediately have some big fleet of ships attacking me out of no where and I can't escape, get blown up and so on. About the most I can do is dock with the station that you start next to, if I do anything else I just get attacked and die right away. poo poo, I don't even know if I like the game at all because I can't see any of it. :(

What ship are you starting with btw?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, the game is super easy and fun once you actually learn how to play. But it's a complicated game, that's what I like about it. Tarezax has some good tips.

In order to help you better could we ask what ship did you start with, and what factions are you hostile with?
(You can see your ship on either the fleet (f) or refit (r) screens)
(You can see factions on the intel screen (e) under factions (2) )

In addition to what they said I'd like to add, try to save the game just before you commit to a battle and then replay it a few times if you don't win to see if you can win it. If you can't, avoid that battle and find an easier one. I've been playing the game for a long time and I still get into battles that turn out to be too much for me, or that I can only win after a bunch of tries.

If you die (that is, lose ALL your ships) you start with a random ship. That's not very good when you're new, it's better to learn one ship first. They're all pretty different. (Plus I think it can randomly give you some dumb things, like a shuttle, or a tanker)

Plus once you get better at the game you'll eventually have a fleet of ships you won't want to lose, and saving the game at the right moment is a good habit to be in.

Also consider playing the missions. They're the exact same thing as the battles in the campaign map, but with a preset fleet for you and your opponent. If you die or don't do as well as you'd like, you can just try again.
You might not be able to win all of them right away (or ever), but it's a great way to get to know all the different ships and weapons you'll be using and facing.

On a related note, on the ship refit screen you can run a simulation. This allows you to test pilot your current ship configuration, and you can spawn in one or more enemies. That's another opportunity to practice your piloting skills and find out exactly what your ship can do.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 4, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The game has regressive difficulty, meaning gets easier the longer you survive. Personally I usually pursue contacts to get a few hundred thousand to equip an initial fighting fleet. Try starting with a wayfarer smuggler, that gets you 10 harvested organs which go for 20k which gets you enough capital to by drugs and lobsters at Hybrasil. When buying new ships try to stick to ones with max burn of 10, that should be enough to outrun anything bigger than you. Wayfarers are great btw, well armed, cheap, fast and 100 units of cargo space. Don't neglet strategic use of transponders when outside civilized systems in hyperspace. Deep hyperspace also lowers your detection range and while going dark inside a nebula you're practically impossible to detect.

Good luck! You're gonna have a bad time!

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
There are some issues with the early-game balance. Many enemy fleets have Wolf (D)s, which are faster than all the starting options, have a good range, a teleporter and good shields- they can take all damage as flux and readily disengage to vent. When you could start in a Wolf yourself it wasn't such a problem. All you can do is run, but they're fast enough on the system map that they can catch you easily too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless