Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Most likely, but I'm of the opinion that that's for the courts to decide.

But am I wrong in believing that there is a betrayal of fiduciary duty if my own attorney is trying to collect on a debt in the case he's supposedly representing me for? Either he should forgive the debt or excuse himself from my case.

Yes, obviously. ASSUMING THESE HYPOTHETICAL FACTS ARE ACCURATE AND TRUE

Though it's not fiduciary duty but a violation of attorney ethics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If we let the courts decide every small dispute, and 149 dollars is loving tiny, then we'd never have time to sentence innocent black men to death.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

Really? I was pretty sure attorneys can try to convince clients to pay their attorney fees before the case is done.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

Ok, ethics, fair enough.
I don't think he's knowingly trying to collect from me, like I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He probably just buys debt in bulk or whatever. But I know I've brought this up to him before.

And I'm fairly certain that this other outfit won't sue me over $120, so I feel like jerking them around is a decent enough strategy to get out of paying. Worst case is I ignore them and they sell the debt to someone else.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Really? I was pretty sure attorneys can try to convince clients to pay their attorney fees before the case is done.

This isn't for an attorney fee though. It's a medical debt that he's representing me for.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It will be reported on your credit report though. If you owe the money, why don't you want to pay? Are you too poor to pay?

This is a serious question.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Is this a legitmate medical bill or a bullshit one?
Did you attorney present this bill to get you paid?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Most likely, but I'm of the opinion that that's for the courts to decide.

LOL

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Let's be clear, no lawyer working on contigency is going to court over 120 bucks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
It would cost you $68.75 for me to field that phone call, dude.

ghost edit:haha, i cant even calculate my own rate in my head.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It will be reported on your credit report though. If you owe the money, why don't you want to pay? Are you too poor to pay?

This is a serious question.

Nah, actually I think it's the opposite in my case. I'm well off enough that my credit score has so little effect on me that I can choose to pay if I want to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

It would cost you $68.25 for me to field that phone call, dude.

Yes, of you pay hourly with cash up front a lawyer will fight over 120 bux all day.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

blarzgh posted:

It would cost you $68.75 for me to field that phone call, dude.

ghost edit:haha, i cant even calculate my own rate in my head.

He doesn't bill me since he took a way bigger cut than that of my settlement.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There isn't a JD in america that cares about the $29 you owe.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Yes, of you pay hourly with cash up front a lawyer will fight over 120 bux all day.

fastest way to get grieved. We call it "entrepreneurial litigation."

second fastest is to keep working after the client keeps paying.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Nah, actually I think it's the opposite in my case. I'm well off enough that my credit score has so little effect on me that I can choose to pay if I want to.

I don't think that's true at all, actually.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

There isn't a JD in america that cares about the $29 you owe.

Just the one collecting it. :rolleyes:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If we let the courts decide every small dispute, and 149 dollars is loving tiny, then we'd never have time to sentence innocent black men to death.

The police have been cutting out the pesky middleman of the court system lately. It's more efficient and clears up the space for this dude to fight over $150!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

HookShot posted:

The police have been cutting out the pesky middleman of the court system lately. It's more efficient and clears up the space for this dude to fight over $150!

I never said that I was taking it to court.

Also I've left out the part where I spent 10 weeks in a hospital, half of that was in a coma.
God Bless my health insurance company, they've paid probably close to $1 million on my behalf after adjustments and so forth. I'm fortunate to have such piddly bills, honestly.

I'd be happy to pay my doctors and nurses many times the $150, but I don't feel a moral obligation to a debt collector.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just having fun imagining some ultra-wealthy, bored lawyer who spends his days in court fighting pro-bono for $20 charges.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dude, it is not worth your time or anyone else's to go to court over $150. Just pay it and put it behind you. I dunno if you're part of the idle rich or a debt collector killed your childhood dog or something, but this is not the hill that most people would choose to die on.

Also, just because you're in a good position financially does not make you immune to bad credit. This:

Ludwig van Halen posted:

is not correct. If you don't pay your stupid tiny fine in good faith, it could seriously affect any kind of background check you might want to pass.

IANAL, not legal advice, etc

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Haha at this thread

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I want to know how that lawyer ended up in personal injury and debt collection.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Dude, it is not worth your time or anyone else's to go to court over $150. Just pay it and put it behind you. I dunno if you're part of the idle rich or a debt collector killed your childhood dog or something, but this is not the hill that most people would choose to die on.

As I've said, I have no intention of going to court over this, and it's doubtful I'm going to be sued, so I'm dragging my feet.

quote:

is not correct. If you don't pay your stupid tiny fine in good faith, it could seriously affect any kind of background check you might want to pass.

IANAL, not legal advice, etc

Could you clarify this?
I'm not sure what you mean by background check. I'm aware that this affects credit checks, but when I think of background checks I think of criminal background checks. And when you call it a fine it sounds like you're suggesting that a court has awarded judgement against me, which this debt is not. This debt is only at the point where they've sent me a notice of the debt.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 3, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I spent $200 on dinner the other night. I guess what I mean is just pay your bill so that poor lawyer doesn't starve.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

In all fairness this issue could soon be moot in that the criminal case regarding my injury is still pending. At the very least I've been advised to not pay until after the criminal trial is settled. The trial might be this month, but it's already been pushed back several times, so who knows.

The state's attorney is seeking restitution (or rather compensation?). The guy is charged with an aggravated DUI, so it's a fairly open and shut case. But the guy who hit me has no money, so unless his family chooses to pay me I probably won't get anything. After my conduct in the thread I'm not going to act like his family is obligated to pay me because they certainly are not. Or they might be better people than me and pay voluntarily?

I'd be content offloading my debts onto this guy if I'm awarded court ordered compensation, but I don't think it works like that unfortunately. The debt technically would remain in my name, correct?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Just pay the $150 or whatever it is, dude. You're wasting time and energy worth way more than that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ah yes, the old "I know I owe you $50, but Broke Dave also owes me $50. Why don't you get it from Broke Dave?"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ah yes, the old "I know I owe you $50, but Broke Dave also owes me $50. Why don't you get it from Broke Dave?"

"Well that'll never work, because I owe Broke Dave $50!"

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Whatever guys. The dudes a full time alcoholic who lives on social security so I looked into how restitution is enforced and in cases like this and they can garnish his social security benefits since he doesn't have a job or any assets. So this situation will work itself out. :toot:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks for teaching us lawyers about the law.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

The dudes a full time alcoholic

euphronius posted:

Thanks for teaching us lawyers about the law.

I, too, assumed he was talking about the lawyer :v:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

"Well that'll never work, because I owe Broke Dave $50!"

If that is the case then everyone's debts should be extinguished assuming they are liquidated and presently due through the Napoleonic principle of compensation.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/NVWanBeh.jpg][/timg]

Unless you are a common law brute then I don't know what to tell you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a process in America for suspending collection of debts contingent to the settlement of related litigation

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Whatever guys. The dudes a full time alcoholic who lives on social security so I looked into how restitution is enforced and in cases like this and they can garnish his social security benefits since he doesn't have a job or any assets. So this situation will work itself out. :toot:

You're gonna get like 40 bucks a week

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

You're gonna get like 40 bucks a week

Great now he can plan to pay his stupid $150 debt including that to the collectors working for the lawyer that already settled his $1000000 case but apparently should be conflicted out now over $25.

Christ.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sorry I'm confused. Can anyone explain why he doesn't just pay the small sum?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
are his debts going to be discharged if he dies from his alcoholism

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

LeschNyhan posted:

Great now he can plan to pay his stupid $150 debt including that to the collectors working for the lawyer that already settled his $1000000 case but apparently should be conflicted out now over $25.

Christ.

If by settled my case you mean sat on the sidelines while my health insurance paid everything, then yes.

I don't really get the sympathy for the hard working debt collectors in this thread. Unless the lawyers here are running collection businesses on the side.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
yeah, you're right, people shouldn't have to pay for things if they don't feel like it.

loving jackass.