Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I lost track of Batman about when Barbara Gordon was Batgirl/woman? I'm not even sure. I know about the Robins that turned into Red Robin [I think], Red Hood and Nightwing and the Flashpoint thing where Bruce's dad became Batman and his mom was Joker instead and that's about it. Can anyone fill me in on the rest of the family and anything really notable about them/ accomplishments? I don't really know anything about any of the other Robins to differentiate them from each other for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sporklift posted:

So when does Owl turn into this crazy gangster badass? Read some Daredevil and Superior Foes and I just don't remember him being like that back in the day or am I mis-remembering?

I don't know much about the Owl's history, but I the impression I got from Bendis' Daredevil is he really wasn't, he was just sort of pushed into a vacuum when Kingpin got deposed and he could provide a source for MGH and was crazy and strong enough to be the face (beyond all the machinations Kingpin also was a physical threat). It really seemed like he was pushed into taking over organized crime.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It kind of blows my mind that the Owl was originally supposed to be the villain in the X-Factor arc that ended up introducing Apcolypse instead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RareAcumen posted:

I lost track of Batman about when Barbara Gordon was Batgirl/woman? I'm not even sure. I know about the Robins that turned into Red Robin [I think], Red Hood and Nightwing and the Flashpoint thing where Bruce's dad became Batman and his mom was Joker instead and that's about it. Can anyone fill me in on the rest of the family and anything really notable about them/ accomplishments? I don't really know anything about any of the other Robins to differentiate them from each other for example.

Damien Damian Wayne is the current Robin. He's the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia al Ghul, and was introduced in (and a major part of) Morrison's Batman run. He died a few years ago, and was resurrected recently. He's several years younger than the other Robins were, and is more of a child than a teenager. He spent a lot of his life with his mum and her family's crazy assassin cult, and really needs to lighten up a bit.

He also pops up in various (alt) futures as Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't buy Red Robin as a distinct identity the same way Nightwing or even Red Hood is. You'd think Tim could try something a bit more original.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel towards Damian the way everyone else here feels about Jason.

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't buy Red Robin as a distinct identity the same way Nightwing or even Red Hood is. You'd think Tim could try something a bit more original.

Red Robin is bullshit and comes from DC not giving a poo poo about Tim.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's the worst thing. His costumes have been awful but the true culprit is that Goddamn name. Especially in the official new 52 canon he was never actually Robin, and went immediately to Red Robin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think he didn't have an obvious niche (which pretty much all of the other Robins have), and without a writer who loves the character he's been bouncing around.

In my version of the DC Universe he'd have stayed as Robin to the globe-trotting Bruce Wayne Batman while Damian and Dick were the B&R of Gotham, but that's years dead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I feel towards Damian the way everyone else here feels about Jason.

Red Robin is bullshit and comes from DC not giving a poo poo about Tim.
More likely the fact they did batman was active for 5 years and therefore having 4 robins is impossible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

More likely the fact they did batman was active for 5 years and therefore having 4 robins is impossible.

Yeah, but calling Tim "Red Robin" instead of "Robin" doesn't fix that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Didio hates Dick and Tim equally. He's wanted to kill Dick for years and he wants to strip Tim of his time as Robin.

And somehow Jason keeps a monthly book.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

He's the shittiest Robin so obviously DC loves him best.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tim does machines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh poo poo, that means Barbara is that horrible female turtle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

But there's 2 Robins that are Rude and Crude and 0 that are Party Dudes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
As long as we're on the topic

1) Batgirl is still Barbra Gordon, but she's a teenager now instead of being about Dick's age, right?

2) Stephanie Brown doesn't exist/Does Exist/Never Existed? Or in typical DC fashion all of the above?

3) Batman is surfing the galaxy in a god's space chair for Justice League (specifically Darkseid War), but is an amnesiac in the regular Bat-books?

4) Tied to 3, Lex Luthor is now Darkseid? Is that just JL too, or is that going to be a thing for at least a little while?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CzarChasm posted:

1) Batgirl is still Barbra Gordon, but she's a teenager now instead of being about Dick's age, right?
She's in grad school, she's like 22-23.

CzarChasm posted:

2) Stephanie Brown doesn't exist/Does Exist/Never Existed? Or in typical DC fashion all of the above?
Stephanie Brown exists again. She debuted as Spoiler in Batman Eternal and has since popped up in Batgirl and Batman & Robin Eternal. She's very likely going to be in the new Batgirl and the Birds of Prey book that's coming out in June or whatever.

CzarChasm posted:

3) Batman is surfing the galaxy in a god's space chair for Justice League (specifically Darkseid War), but is an amnesiac in the regular Bat-books?

4) Tied to 3, Lex Luthor is now Darkseid? Is that just JL too, or is that going to be a thing for at least a little while?
The Justice League thing where the JL got the powers of various New Gods is its own little canon as far as I know and isn't with the rest of the comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

1) she is mid to late 20s
2) introduced in Batman & robin eternal
3) JL takes place after
4) JL storyline

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What are people's thought on Ultimate Human, that's coming up next? After that is Ultmates 3 which I have read several times in this thread is the greatest thing in the Ultimate universe second only to Ultimatum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

What are people's thought on Ultimate Human, that's coming up next? After that is Ultmates 3 which I have read several times in this thread is the greatest thing in the Ultimate universe second only to Ultimatum.

That's Warren Ellis' Iron Man/Hulk thing, right? it's decent. You'll probably enjoy it the same amount as you enjoyed any of his other Ultimate stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ultragonk posted:

Dumb but inconsequential.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That sounds alright, I liked Ultimate War and Nightmare and the others. The Fantastic Four/Thanos stuff wasn't great but I've started in on the story with The Seven , strong start so far.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ultragonk posted:

Which comic book character has died the most and not in a Deadpool dies but heals type way or a Resurrection Man deal but dead then comes back then dies again Jean Grey type way, including other universe versions of the same character?

It might actually be James Hudson, the Guardian/Vindicator from Alpha Flight. That guy dies non-stop.

Lurdiak posted:

Red Robin is part of DC's constant jerk-off sesh over Kingdom Come. It's also a burger joint that gives you free birthday burgers.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 4, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

But there's 2 Robins that are Rude and Crude and 0 that are Party Dudes.

Excuse you

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Grayson is the best.

Stupid phone always autocorrects that.*

Norns fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 5, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Opopanax posted:

Excuse you

So I guess I should be reading this.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RandallODim posted:

So I guess I should be reading this.

God yes. Grayson is fantastic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't get past the premise but I'll probably be able to go back and read it when Dick is safely Nightwing again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think he didn't have an obvious niche (which pretty much all of the other Robins have), and without a writer who loves the character he's been bouncing around.

I remember reading a breakdown of it where Dick is the martial artist and natural leader, Jason is the brawler and loner, while Tim is the detective and the one who will one day succeed Bruce as Batman. Don't really remember when that was; pre-N52, certainly. I haven't read enough Batman to comment on its accuracy but I've read enough Teen Titans to think it seems like it would have been a reasonable assessment before the reboot. :shrug:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

X-O posted:

Don't forget JMS who around this time disappeared never to be seen again and was replaced by a terrible clone.

JMS has always been the clone. Babylon 5 is the ponderous, boring, overly serious cousin of DS9. Rising Stars has some cool art but is mostly horseshit, a dry run of the warmed over Alan Moore lite ideas he'd hone in Supreme Power.

My friends say Sense8 is good and I like some of the creative decisions I've read about in terms of the characters and casting, but I hate JMS' writing so much that I dunno man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

JMS has always been the clone. Babylon 5 is the ponderous, boring, overly serious cousin of DS9. Rising Stars has some cool art but is mostly horseshit, a dry run of the warmed over Alan Moore lite ideas he'd hone in Supreme Power.

My friends say Sense8 is good and I like some of the creative decisions I've read about in terms of the characters and casting, but I hate JMS' writing so much that I dunno man.

To be fair, most of what I hear good about Sense8 sounds like Andy and Lana, not JMS.

Totally disagree about B5, though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Damian is cool but rude, and Jason is a party dude. Reasoning: Jason isn't cool, ergo not the former; and he hangs out with an adventuring party (Arsenal, Scott Lobdell, 1⅓ Face Lass) all the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jason is so lame he's Metalhead.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

I can't get past the premise but I'll probably be able to go back and read it when Dick is safely Nightwing again.

I rag on you and your bad opinions a lot but real talk, in all seriousness, you are denying yourself some Really Good Dick by not reading this series. I was put off by the premise at first too but it's seriously the best the character has been in years.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

I rag on you and your bad opinions a lot but real talk, in all seriousness, you are denying yourself some Really Good Dick by not reading this series. I was put off by the premise at first too but it's seriously the best the character has been in years.

I love Dick, Dick is the best, but the betrayal of his character arc is hard to swallow. Besides, if it's really that good it'll be great delayed gratification going over the trades later.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

I love Dick, Dick is the best, but the betrayal of his character arc is hard to swallow. Besides, if it's really that good it'll be great delayed gratification going over the trades later.

Im a little confused, I gave up reading Nightwing in N52 because it was bad, but how is his arc betrayed by going undercover as a superspy?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The whole unmasking and everything that followed is just really dumb, but I guess it fits in with the rest of the New 52 universe. I wish we just got a good Nightwing writer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thats really the thing with the New 52, there's so many awful and dumb decisions that were made, I just try to appreciate good stories when they happen, even if it's as a result of those dumb decisions. I should mention I also didn't read whatever big crossover event resulted in Dick's 'death', I just went into Grayson knowing that happened.

They've sowed the seeds for Nightwing's return and Dick's secret identity being restored in B&RE, and there's a new Nightwing book with Rebirth. Fingers crossed it gets a good creative team.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And that's when I'll happily read Grayson and enjoy it for what it is. But limited resources and all, there's better stuff to spend my time on right this moment.

I just hope Nightwing comes back blue again :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Travis343 posted:

They've sowed the seeds for Nightwing's return and Dick's secret identity being restored in B&RE, and there's a new Nightwing book with Rebirth. Fingers crossed it gets a good creative team.

What, did Starfire make a deal with the devil so everyone would forget Nightwing's identity in exchange for their marriage?
E: Right, they never married. So, in exchange for their gently caress Buddy Status?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 5, 2016