Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

DJExile posted:

I drove along the lake erie shore yesterday looking for some good shots and decided to bring the 800mm f/8 along because gently caress you I can :radcat:

This is an image of Perry's Monument on South Bass Island in Lake Erie. It's very blurry because it was hazy and windy as hell that afternoon.

Just jumping in to ensure you realize that this is not a good photo, and if anything it's a damning condemnation of the lens it was taken through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MMD3 posted:

Just jumping in to ensure you realize that this is not a good photo, and if anything it's a damning condemnation of the lens it was taken through.

Oh hell it's an awful photo. The fact that it's even recognizable is wild because it's over 9 1/2 miles away. I posted it more as a "holy poo poo this thing can see far" thing.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the nuance of the haze really made me feel something deep inside

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MeruFM posted:

the nuance of the haze really made me feel something deep inside

that's probably because a blurry lighthouse looks like a dick

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I like my A7S, but I was thinking about what I would replace it with if I lost it. Naturally, I thought about the A7SII, but then I checked the prices and god drat, Sony, the A7SII is nice, but is it really worth twice the price of an A7S?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
No. I'd probably get an a7RII if I were looking to upgrade, or wait until a third gen.

Don't get me wrong, I love my a7S, but a bajillion megapixels > awesome low-light capability + a couple more color profiles. And the a7RII does internal 4K too, just like the a7SII. Same for IBIS.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Dear Thread,

While my M3 is for EF mount backup still, I broke down and bought an Olympus PEN-F and a Voigtlander (Cosina) NOKTON 17.5mm f/.95 after reading several reviews of both.

This is replacing my Nikon 1 V3 toy camera because I am tired of the downsides of it. About the only upside was the pop-up flash, but the EVF is built in on the PEN-F.

I had to order the lens as the camera stores don't seem to have regular stock in Akiba, it gets here tomorrow morning, and I'll post a review sometime next week after a week of shooting it.

Spoiler: Hate the menus on PEN-F already.

Love,
Everyone's favorite EOS M System user.

edit: The focus ring on this lens is so smooth. :swoon:

windex fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 2, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A few examples out of the camera from the 8mm f/1.8 fisheye.

P2280135 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

P2280106 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

P2280226 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

They are not joking about the 180 degree field of view. It's amazing how many of them had an edge of my finger or my feet in the shot without even noticing. It handles the sun fairly well, considering how wide it is. It's definitely a niche lens, but when it works well, it really works well. The splash in the first picture is maybe 2-3" at most from the lens. Focus is super close. Carrot cake owns.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I bought an em10. Love it, everything about it, crazy menus and all. It's so small!

Only downsides so far: the 14-42 kit lens is way less compact when extended for use, and the image resolution is just slightly less detailed than what I am used to working with.. although really pretty close to Fuji & older Canon apsc.

The other m43 body I considered was the Lumix g7. 4K capability along with the Panasonic stabilized tele-zooms would have perhaps opened up a new level of wildlife video possibilities, but I was too put off by the plastic a6000-ish feel and concerned about the reported issues with shutter shock.

Wonder about one thing, though. Conventional wisdom seems to be that Panasonic has the best video quality in m43, and that's obvious, but the converse supremacy of Olympus in still image quality really isn't as clear cut. Disregarding the shutter shock issue with the g7 and the IBIS with the om-d, instead just looking at detail reproduction under ideal conditions, does the om-d's 16mp sensor really do better than that of the lumix's? It's completely anecdotal, but just from putzing around flickr it seems like Panasonic has parity if not a slight edge on oly there. But it's slight, and could just be differences in PP.

And here's a less rhetorical question. Does IBIS still have an effect on supertele lenses? I think oly are putting ILIS in their new 300mm pro lens, right? Would IBIS work with, eg, an adapted 300mm OM-system manual lens? I know it's effective with adapted lenses at shorter focal lengths, but does the effect drastically decrease on lenses greater than ~200mm?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I got Olympus for the ibis which is really good, not sure where you got the idea that it has better image quality. I assume they use the same sensors.

The oly equivalent pro lens may be better than panasonic though, they're certainly more expensive despite having no IS.

Longer focal lengths just don't do as well with ibis, physical limitation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I use a manual focus 300mm f/4.5 with an adapter, and the IBIS does definitely help. It's nothing world-beating but it does well for me

E: and yes the 300mm f/4.0 Pro will have IS in the lens as well.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 2, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cool. The OM 300 4.5 was exactly what I was thinking about with that question.

And I thought that oly sensors in the omd's were made by Sony, while Panasonic manufacturers its own.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Cool. The OM 300 4.5 was exactly what I was thinking about with that question.

And I thought that oly sensors in the omd's were made by Sony, while Panasonic manufacturers its own.

If you can find one, get it. It's a really fun lens. They're on KEH every so often.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just unpacked my Rokinon 8mm and holy poo poo that is a solid feeling lens. Looks great through the EVF on the Xpro1, but now I'm frustrated that I'm going to have to wait a long time to take this out and do astro shots :(

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I picked up a 55-200 Fuji this week from KEH. I don't need anything super fast but I need more reach than my current 12, 24, 35 and old 50mm minolta gave me. Looking forward to using it once my body is done trying to murder me with the flu.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
My Oly 25mm 1.8 just arrived :woop:. Of course it has been raining non-stop for the last two days and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon :smith:.

The few test shots I took from my window are great though. It's really sharp and the AF is just super fast. And it looks just amazing on the E-m10 (I have a silver body and I got the lens in silver too).

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Popelmon posted:

My Oly 25mm 1.8 just arrived :woop:. Of course it has been raining non-stop for the last two days and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon :smith:.

The few test shots I took from my window are great though. It's really sharp and the AF is just super fast. And it looks just amazing on the E-m10 (I have a silver body and I got the lens in silver too).

Congrats! Can't wait to see them pics

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Martytoof posted:

Just unpacked my Rokinon 8mm and holy poo poo that is a solid feeling lens. Looks great through the EVF on the Xpro1, but now I'm frustrated that I'm going to have to wait a long time to take this out and do astro shots :(

Which one did you get?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the lovely placement/flimsy nature of the XT1's card slot cover. It's seriously a liability in any kind of wet/dusty environment because OK it's weather sealed, but just grabbing the camera can pop the drat thing open. Who though placing a latchless cover on a high contact area was a good idea?

I'd had it taped shut so long that I had forgotten about it. The tape fell off last week and it's been a rude reminder how bad it is. Yes I'll re tape it, but it's still a serious design flaw.

X100t still proving to be just a phenomenal camera though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the lovely placement/flimsy nature of the XT1's card slot cover. It's seriously a liability in any kind of wet/dusty environment because OK it's weather sealed, but just grabbing the camera can pop the drat thing open. Who though placing a latchless cover on a high contact area was a good idea?

I'd had it taped shut so long that I had forgotten about it. The tape fell off last week and it's been a rude reminder how bad it is. Yes I'll re tape it, but it's still a serious design flaw.

lol, fuji.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The card cover slot? What about the plug covers? Those are far worse. That rubbery little flap broke off within 2 months of me having my X-T1. To Fuji's credit though, the flaps are improved on the X-T10 and improved again on the X-Pro2, so they are learning and tweaking.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think this varies per person, and the way they grip the camera. Also, I recall the very very early XT1s having lovely-feeling buttons and I think crappy memory card doors. I only bring this up because I lucked out in getting an early XT1 that lacked all of the problems I just talked about. I don't think I've ever opened up my memory card door without intending to.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

LiquidRain posted:

The card cover slot? What about the plug covers? Those are far worse. That rubbery little flap broke off within 2 months of me having my X-T1. To Fuji's credit though, the flaps are improved on the X-T10 and improved again on the X-Pro2, so they are learning and tweaking.

The plug cover on mine bulges, so it's useless as far as actually sealing it from anything.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The plug cover on mine bulges, so it's useless as far as actually sealing it from anything.

Same here, but otherwise on mine none f the latches have any issues. The memory card hatch is very secure

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Animal posted:

Same here, but otherwise on mine none f the latches have any issues. The memory card hatch is very secure

Card slot cover for mine is fine as well. I wish Fuji would do a fix for this very obvious material defect.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I can't speak to the AV ports cover, mine is fine. but the issue I have with the Card reader cover isn't one of "some are fine, some aren't" it's that having a memory card port that doesn't latch shut on a weather sealed camera is a really really bad design decision, period. I'll be really surprised if they don't change it on the X-T2. I'll seriously consider not buying the XT2.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Why did you not immediately return/exchange it?

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 3, 2016

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Fart Car '97 posted:

I can't speak to the AV ports cover, mine is fine. but the issue I have with the Card reader cover isn't one of "some are fine, some aren't" it's that having a memory card port that doesn't latch shut on a weather sealed camera is a really really bad design decision, period. I'll be really surprised if they don't change it on the X-T2. I'll seriously consider not buying the XT2.

Why did you not immediately return/exchange it?

Bought second hand and it didn't start until a bit after I got it, past the Amazon exchange date. Honestly I doubt it will ever cause me real issues, just a complaint.

Edit : Also, I just determined my second hand purchase is probably a gray market as the serial tag is nowhere to be found on the camera. Yay. Oh well, take's good shots for now.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It wasn't raining during my lunch break today so I ran over to our local petting zoo to test out the Oly 25mm (and the Sigma 60mm). I was really impressed how sharp both of those lenses are. The pictures are not that great but I think you can see how sharp they can be.

P3030112 by arne sander, on Flickr

P3030040 by arne sander, on Flickr

P3030041 by arne sander, on Flickr

P3030088 by arne sander, on Flickr

P3030328 by arne sander, on Flickr

I'm not sure if Flickr lets you zoom in far enough to really appreciate how sharp some of the images are but I think you get the idea.
There are also a bunch of pictures taken with the Sigma 60mm 2.8 in this album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/117304732@N02/sets/72157663059620884

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've been looking to drop around $300-350 on a (probably used) camera because I'm tired of my smartphone, I'm going on vacation, and I collect hobbies. My #1 contender so far is the RX100 because it seems like a wildly good bang for your buck at $200 used for the mk.1. However, I'm not opposed to stepping up a bit on price and size. Does the mirrorless world have anything good to offer me if I don't plan on owning more than one or two lenses ever?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I picked up a 55-200 Fuji this week from KEH. I don't need anything super fast but I need more reach than my current 12, 24, 35 and old 50mm minolta gave me. Looking forward to using it once my body is done trying to murder me with the flu.

Would you mind sharing the condition and price of yours?

I've been wanting that lens but I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify buying it new.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Which one did you get?

2.8 II

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've been looking to drop around $300-350 on a (probably used) camera because I'm tired of my smartphone, I'm going on vacation, and I collect hobbies. My #1 contender so far is the RX100 because it seems like a wildly good bang for your buck at $200 used for the mk.1. However, I'm not opposed to stepping up a bit on price and size. Does the mirrorless world have anything good to offer me if I don't plan on owning more than one or two lenses ever?
probably not unless you think you will want to take very specific shots i.e. macro.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

TheEye posted:

Would you mind sharing the condition and price of yours?

I've been wanting that lens but I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify buying it new.

EX @ $400. It's pristine

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

EX @ $400. It's pristine

Ah, okay. Thanks.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
My gf wanted a new point and shoot that had solid low light performance and good zoom. I helped her pick out an RX100 IV. As a fuji guy I knew this would be the best choice for her in a high performance P&S for travel photos and general use.

After a day of playing with it I have to say, the interface is just as confusing and painful as I expected. Here's hoping I can figure it out well enough to show her what's up. It's a very capable camera though for sure.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Mr. Wookums posted:

probably not unless you think you will want to take very specific shots i.e. macro.

I probably wouldn't be doing anything oddly specific but I may get somewhat into it as a hobby. The idea of being able to adapt interesting old lenses onto a mirrorless (like an a5100 or something probably) appeals to me.

My main concern is that a used a5100 with kit lens at $500 doesn't seem to offer any real benefit over a used rx100mk1 at $200 other than the potential for future expansion. I imagine I'd probably stick with the kit lens for a bit and then get a sigma prime of some sort if I went the mirrorless route. I suppose I could also just get the body and the sigma 30mm f2.8 as a decent all-rounder instead of the supposedly god-awful kit zoom.

Any particularly solid arguments in the favor of the mirrorless route? It really shouldn't take much to part me from my tax return but more than doubling the price of my previous option stings a bit.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 4, 2016

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fruit Chewy posted:

I probably wouldn't be doing anything oddly specific but I may get somewhat into it as a hobby. The idea of being able to adapt interesting old lenses onto a mirrorless (like an a5100 or something probably) appeals to me.

My main concern is that a used a5100 with kit lens at $500 doesn't seem to offer any real benefit over a used rx100mk1 at $200 other than the potential for future expansion. I imagine I'd probably stick with the kit lens for a bit and then get a sigma prime of some sort if I went the mirrorless route. I suppose I could also just get the body and the sigma 30mm f2.8 as a decent all-rounder instead of the supposedly god-awful kit zoom.

Any particularly solid arguments in the favor of the mirrorless route? It really shouldn't take much to part me from my tax return but more than doubling the price of my previous option stings a bit.

RX100 1 is really old. It probably won't last more than a year and a few trips.

If you want used, 5R and 5T are about 200-250. I got a new GM1 kit for 270. Shipped from Japan.

Entry level mirrorless depreciate faster than highend P&S

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 4, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ohhh, I was eyeing that on Amazon the other day. Let me know how you like it

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Fruit Chewy posted:

I just got a fuji x-a2 and it's a pretty great camera if you can deal with nit having a viewfinder. The user interface and menus on the fuji are substantially better than some of the other options like sony or the olympus dumpster fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

DuckConference posted:

I just got a fuji x-a2 and it's a pretty great camera if you can deal with nit having a viewfinder. The user interface and menus on the fuji are substantially better than some of the other options like sony or the olympus dumpster fire

That doesn't look like a bad option. I like the design of the Sony a little better, but that's not a deal breaker. How's the kit lens on the fuji?