Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Niton posted:

It feels like I say this almost every cycle, but Investigate might be the dumbest.. ability? ability word? whatever the gently caress they call it that i've ever seen.

"Investigate" is a keyword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As long as there's a card which says "Destroy target creature. Its controller investigates" it's a good mechanic.

e: I'm curious what sorcery they're so scared of in standard that they need two extraction effects aimed at it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Would there be a big uproar if future sets were no longer redeemable, but mtgo prices went down?

I imagine the people receiving the absurd amounts of money that people spend on mtgo would be quite upset.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Puzzle room card:

Abberant Researcher
3U
3/2 flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, put the top card of your library into your graveyard, if it is an instant or sorcery, transform Abberant Researcher.
5/4 flyer on the other side.

Would be a lot funnier if it had three sides and the first side was a 1/1 for U.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 4, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

"Sequels" to flip cards is a kindof cute idea.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Niton posted:

It feels like I say this almost every cycle, but Investigate might be the dumbest.. ability? ability word? whatever the gently caress they call it that i've ever seen.

Somehow I'm embracing the cheesiness with this one. I just can't bring myself to hate the Scooby-Dooness of it all.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

As long as there's a card which says "Destroy target creature. Its controller investigates" it's a good mechanic.

That's so perfect that now I'm going to be really angry if they don't do it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Investigate is actually a keyword by the way. Ability words are different effects with a common trigger/theme, keywords are a single set effect.

On the new cards:
Aberrant researcher is actually a cool/good limited card, unlike delver. Won't break other formats either.
Bygone Bishop has good french vanilla stats, so the delay on the card draw is a lot easier to stomach.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Investigate seems sort of bad but I feel like it's better than I'm giving it credit. It's a nice mana dump and the fact that they're artifacts doesn't seem like something to really take for granted.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think this got handed out at GP Melbourne too.
http://imgur.com/gallery/jTHu3Yx

the answer is canine

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm :spergin: so:

The art on that "Stitchers Lab" page is Laboratory Maniac (a card I love), Amass the Components(a card I like), and Stitcher's Apprentice (ehh).

Maybe reprints? I'm gonna be kinda sad when they turn out to just be there for flavor. :(

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ghirapur Aether-Grid will be in Standard alongside Investigate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bunch of good 2/3s for 3 recently (constructed and limited), though I'm not sure if it's actually a trend or if I just started paying attention.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chamale posted:

Meh, you're not gonna be able to make enough of them. Thopters have been a thing in standard for year too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chamale posted:

And Whirler Rogue and the Helicopter Parents, too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thopters are a lot easier to kill than clue artifacts. I do think a decent investigate card or two could revive the Thopter Spy Network deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Sure it has some synergy but I think it's mostly just to be a flavorful cantrip variant

or heralding the return to new phyrexia with affinity for artifacts coming back!!!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You'd need one or two more good repeatable effects. And it depends what colors investigate is in. If I had to guess I'd say it's WU with maybe a token card or two in other colors.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoth posted:

So it's a less good Lobotomy but costs 1 less.

More like Coercion with a potential bonus Extraction effect. I'm a sucker for those so I probably like this card a little more than I should.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Well that's a cool Madness enabler. If Bx Madness is a deck in limited this seems like a high pick. Turn 2 Heir, Turn 3 discard Fiery Temper to flip it and kill their 2- or 3-drop seems pretty legit.

I wonder how quickly they realized it needed the "only once" clause in a Madness set?

And I like the little story the flavour text on both sides tells. Everything about this set is looking cool so far.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rabidsquid posted:

The cheaper version is Magic Duels, which is not really Magic at all but that's what's happening so.

Rinkles posted:

Would there be a big uproar if future sets were no longer redeemable, but mtgo prices went down?

Sickening posted:

If they got rid of redemption and made mtgo cost competitive to hearthstone they might even make more money than they do now while growing interest in the paper side of things.

Of course that would be change that makes sense and not something WOTC likes to do.

Also gotta remember they'd be worried about obsoleting their own product in paper Magic.

Would still totally draft this in a Madness limited environment. Only once kinda sucks but hey I get a 3/2 flyer AND a Madness trigger out of 1B? Sign me up baby.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A 3/2 flyer for 2 is a good deal and that's basically what you're getting if you have a reasonably costed madness effect to activate the turn after you play it. Pretty cool.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
As much as I want to see some really really good madness cards, if any of them are free for any reason they could blow out formats. We've learned that free spells will always see play.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'd be surprised if we see a card with Madness {0}.

If they wanted to be really crazy and confuse people they'd print a card with a Madness cost of "discard a card".

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Balon posted:

As much as I want to see some really really good madness cards, if any of them are free for any reason they could blow out formats. We've learned that free spells will always see play.

RIP Basking Rootwalla reprint

On the other hand we could see a Big Game Hunter functional reprint (I don't think an actual reprint because Human Rebel Assassin seems out of place in an Innistrad set), Dark Withering, we know Fiery Temper is on the way and perhaps Grave Scrabbler or Brain Gorgers as they rather fits the theme.

Turn 2 Heir of Falkenrath into turn 3 Brain Gorgers is a pretty OK agro play in my book. Or even turn 4 Heir hold up 1 and a B so you can Brain Gorgers sacing your Grave Crawler or having the option to pitch Dark Withering for their 4/5 drop is also pretty hot.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think that heir is a card that has a chance of seeing standard play, although it is bad against removal and reflector mage

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is quite good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I think that heir is a card that has a chance of seeing standard play, although it is bad against removal and reflector mage

You can build your deck around Madness effects much easier in constructed though.

I wonder about Vampire tribal support as well given that we've got two mythic vampires already.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Angry Grimace posted:

You can build your deck around Madness effects much easier in constructed though.

I wonder about Vampire tribal support as well given that we've got two mythic vampires already.

Guess what is making a comeback in Randy Buhlers cube build post Shadows release :can:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Elyv posted:

It's not so bad against reflector mage since you can still recast it the next turn if it was flipped, and you're only going to put it in your deck if you can take advantage of the discard in some way.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The uncommons look pretty pushed so far.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Investigate is the coolest keyword and anyone who doesn't like it should get a clue.

Bygone Bishop is an interesting twist on Mentor of the Meek, not working with tokens, but being a casting trigger and delaying the mana cost to drawing so it isn't a use-it-or-lose-it situation.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Entropic posted:

Somehow I'm embracing the cheesiness with this one. I just can't bring myself to hate the Scooby-Dooness of it all.

The whole thing makes me want to bring along little toy magnifying glasses to use as clue tokens.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Niton posted:

A keyword action.

e: Also this isn't the dumbest keyword action. That's monstrosity.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 4, 2016

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

The whole thing makes me want to bring along little toy magnifying glasses to use as clue tokens.

You gotta use the weapons from clue, there is no other real option.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Cactrot posted:

You gotta use the weapons from clue, there is no other real option.

I don't own a copy of Clue so I can't really use those. :(

I will, however, pull out my pile of Clue Tokens from Arkham Horror for Pre-release. :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

The clue tokens from most Call of Cthulhu inspired board games are exactly this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Has Basking Rootwalla ever "blown out" a format where the real culprit wasn't Survival of the Fittest

nb: Being a strong card is not the same thing as blowing out a format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

I'm :spergin: so:

The art on that "Stitchers Lab" page is Laboratory Maniac (a card I love), Amass the Components(a card I like), and Stitcher's Apprentice (ehh).

Maybe reprints? I'm gonna be kinda sad when they turn out to just be there for flavor. :(

Lab Man with Inverter of Truth = ???????

• Locked thread