Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So out of curiosity, what do people think of the Batgirl 49 issue?

For those unaware: there's basically a page that implies The Killing Joke was a fake memory implanted by the villain and everyone is saying this is the creative team's attempt to retcon TKJ from Barbara's history.

I'll be honest - I don't like it. For better or worse, it happened in her history. If you don't want to keep talking about it, then stop bringing it up. Retconning it away as a fake memory, which honestly makes no sense even in the confines of this current run, feels like an inappropriate solution. It would be like Jason's death getting retconned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was under the impression they had already said it hadn't happened to this version of the character. This halfway poo poo makes no sense. What's the point of a reboot if you still have to write in-universe explanations for your retcons?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If it didn't happen, then what was the experimental South African treatment meant to fix? Or are we supposed to think that only happened to Simone Babs and not to Stewart Babs?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That page is a mix of false things and memories, like swinging through Gotham with Robin probably isn't a lie, but the angry/sad wedding would be.
There's also a quote to James Jr from the Black Mirror and he's been established as is with a stabbed out eye (I think? I stopped reading Suicide Squad) so 'nightmare' parts aren't necessarily false.

Doesn't Batgirl #0 or the Zero Year tie-in end with The Joker at her door?
e: Yup.

ee: The new Batgirl page in question, since it just looks cool.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 3, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah that's why I don't like the implication this is carrying. It also makes no sense because then what of all the other characters surrounding Barbara. Do they have fake memories of it too? Did Bruce, Joker and Gordon just hallucinate it? Not to mention even in the first story arc there was a point made of Barbara once being paralyzed and making friends with Frankie at the rehab center.

If people want to have Barbara stop being associated with TKJ, then just stop bringing it up. At this point it's so part of her history that showing her getting shot over and over is as gratuitous as seeing Bruce's parents be killed over and over. Yeah, we get it's important, but it's not the only important thing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A page that beautiful could tell me that my mother never liked me, and I'd deal with it because it's so beautiful.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Guys. The concentric circles from the top are the implanted memories. The concentric circles from the bottom are the real ones. Just read the layout of the page, she's getting the real memories, including TKJ, back.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm sure you're not supposed to assume anything other than the contradictory stuff is a false memory.
When she's got her perfect memory back, she recalls the villain taunting her, mentioning past events and bad guys in the run as they were. Frankie still has her dumb cyber interface which is based on Barb's, which refers back to her treatment, which refers back to her crippling.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lotus circle posted:

Yeah that's why I don't like the implication this is carrying. It also makes no sense because then what of all the other characters surrounding Barbara. Do they have fake memories of it too? Did Bruce, Joker and Gordon just hallucinate it? Not to mention even in the first story arc there was a point made of Barbara once being paralyzed and making friends with Frankie at the rehab center.

If people want to have Barbara stop being associated with TKJ, then just stop bringing it up. At this point it's so part of her history that showing her getting shot over and over is as gratuitous as seeing Bruce's parents be killed over and over. Yeah, we get it's important, but it's not the only important thing.

For god's sake, it would have been so much easier if they'd just retconned TKJ out with the reboot. If they were getting rid of Oracle, might as well get rid of the fridging at the same instant. But noooo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm sure you're not supposed to assume anything other than the contradictory stuff is a false memory.
When she's got her perfect memory back, she recalls the villain taunting her, mentioning past events and bad guys in the run as they were. Frankie still has her dumb cyber interface which is based on Barb's, which refers back to her treatment, which refers back to her crippling.

I liked that this issue had Frankie and Dinah working together to help Babs, felt like a natural lead into the BoP relaunch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TKJ wasn't intended to be canon in the first place but it's like the second most popular story DC has ever printed so it keeps getting referenced endlessly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Yvonmukluk posted:

For god's sake, it would have been so much easier if they'd just retconned TKJ out with the reboot. If they were getting rid of Oracle, might as well get rid of the fridging at the same instant. But noooo.
Yeah they basically lost their window of opportunity there. I think DC heavily regrets erasing Oracle at this point, but they can't undo it without getting a lot of controversy. They are very, very fortunate that the new creative team and costume change was embraced and praised as much as it was, because before then only the uninformed would prefer Barbara at Batgirl over her as Oracle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

ee: The new Batgirl page in question, since it just looks cool.

Reminder that there's people in this very forum who have said comics are best read on a phone screen panel by panel.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It's so fun seeing the internet throwing a fit over Bruce's accepting Jason's methods in the most recent B&R:E

:allears:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait he does? That is like the exact opposite of what batman should do, though I guess this is enough to change your opinion on the comic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait he does? That is like the exact opposite of what batman should do, though I guess this is enough to change your opinion on the comic.

And no, the series is still dogshit. While this is a great scene, is something it should've been done a long time ago on the actual Batman book. And Bruce's accepting Jason's methods is something that has been established since RHATO 17 and then proved again in the Batman Superman Annual.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Teenage Fansub posted:

There are no details on the Relaunch books other than titles. There's a 'Batgirl and The Birds' of Prey comic Spoiler and/or Cass could slot into.

The cover for Batgirl #50 looks like it could be what it'll look like, but it would be nice to get some kind of info on what's going on.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

No, it's not a great scene, it's horseshit and bad writing. I guess you can be all :allears: if you want but it's especially horseshit considering he's spent years telling Damian "We don't kill, ever, at all, under any circumstances" and now oh apparently it's cool if Jason does it. In the same breath he's telling Damian to go on his own path and be his own kind of Robin - he was raised by assassins, he would absolutely be killing people if he went on his own path.

It's fine though, as previously established, any panels with Jason in them are just part of Jason's coma dream where he's loved and accepted by actual, good superheroes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And no, the series is still dogshit. While this is a great scene, is something it should've been done a long time ago on the actual Batman book. And Bruce's accepting Jason's methods is something that has been established since RHATO 17 and then proved again in the Batman Superman Annual.

Jesus Christ it's like that dumb scene where Captain America says " I don't torture people, but this guy does" like you not directly doing it absolves you or something. It's terrible writing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While this is a great scene,

I have read one or two Batman comics over my wasted life, and Bruce Wayne would never ever loving say that some people deserve to be murdered.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 3, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Horseshit. Batman doesn't get down like this.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Norns posted:

That is goddamn terrible even for DC. Jason willing to do what Batman can't is the absolute opposite of the reasoning Batman constantly rides other heros like Huntress for.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
It just goes to show how awkward Jason's character and continued existence in the Bat-world is. Either they have to come up with weird rationales for his actions, or just ignore that his morals run completely counter to Batman's. Either way, it's weird and badly-written.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What if he was just saying that to get Damian to stop being a little bitch? Batman would probably do that.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Norns posted:

Sure he does.

He's just crouching. Batman doesn't sit.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Luchacabra posted:

Sure he does.

He's just crouching. Batman doesn't sit.

He sits all the time in Justice League now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can understand someone like Spider-man wondering if what Punisher does is necessary in the end.

I can also understand Captain America begrudgingly allowing Wolverine on his team because being blind to other perspectives cost the Avengers dearly.

But Batman? The ultimate control freak with the most unbreakable rule?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is Red Hood really selling so well that it's worth it to DC to twist and contrive ways to stick Jason in the BatFam so much? I just don't get it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

But Batman? The ultimate control freak with the most unbreakable rule?

N52 Batman is nowhere the control freak the pre-Flashpoint version was and has a more flexible moral code.

Travis343 posted:

Is Red Hood really selling so well that it's worth it to DC to twist and contrive ways to stick Jason in the BatFam so much? I just don't get it.

Is the opposite actually. Since the start of the N52 Jason has been a lot more subdued about his use of violence, most of the time he tries to talk things out, only killing when is obvious there's nothing he can do to change the other's mind.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You just think that because you mostly read stuff with Jason Todd in it, and he has a reality-bending field that makes Batman and the others ignore or forget that he's a shitbag. Batman's moral code is as inflexible as ever except when Jason Todd is around.

In fact I can't think of a single meaningful difference between pre-Flashpoint Bruce and N52 Bruce.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Norns posted:

He sits all the time in Justice League now.

ty for properly gendering Batchair.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Please, Batchair may no longer have "man" in his name, but he still identifies as male, and a chair.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

most of the time he tries to talk things out, only killing when is obvious there's nothing he can do to change the other's mind.
Sure is a shame that those hundreds of people just haven't been willing to just sit down and discuss the situations they find themselves in. Slaughter is really just the next most reasonable course of action, I get it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

No, it's selling in the low to mid-20s in a good month, and dipped below 20k in November. It's above cancellation-alert status, but that's about the best you can say of its sales.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hnoestly, I think if you were going to have Jason as part of the Batfamily again, the msot obvious way would be for him to akin to the Green Hornet - posing as a criminal, but feeding information to the Batfamily. And not killing people - not every criminal in Gotham needs to rack up a bodycount. Hell, that could be a good rationalistion for his cover - racking up a bodycount just attracts the Bat's attention, so trying to avoid it is just good business sense. He, of all the Batfamily, would be the most comfortable going undercover. He's got a sense of the streets none of the others do.

Also him & Bruce could have therapeutic fistfights every now & again to preserve his cover.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That was the One Year Later plot of Nightwing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No I agree with everyone else. This is possibly the dumbest scene ever in Batman history just for that line.

How I wish I could get a contract with DC to write a book were Jason dies. And I make it part of my contract that he can't be brought back in anyway until I die or 30 years pass whatever is first. I would would do it in an anti climatic way too. Just have Black Mask cap him or something with no fanfare.

Jason should not be tolerated by any hero in the DC universe. That he is endorsed is one of the low points of the entire DC universe for me right now.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 3, 2016

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I've mentally disowned Jason ever since he came back

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I hope this debate dies and never comes back, like Jason Todd should have.

Frank Miller did an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. Some Batman-related quotes

quote:

One of the things that led you to create Dark Knight Returns was a series of muggings. What happened?

There's something demeaning about the first time you're knocked to the ground and punched in the stomach and have a gun waved in your face and realize that you're completely at somebody's mercy. And they can take your life. And at that point, you'll do anything. There's something so humiliating about that. And to me that made me realize that Batman was the most potent symbol DC had in its hands. Sure, Superman can fly, but Batman turns me back into that guy who is scared and at the same time the guy who can come and save him. It's a perfect myth.

What makes him so mythic?

Batman isn't interesting because he has a cool car. It's great that he has a cool car. But he's interesting because he straightens the world out. And he brings order to a very chaotic world. Especially when you're a child. You need somebody, even if it's a fictional character, to tell you that the world makes sense and that the good guys can win. That's what these heroes are for.

Some have said you turned Batman into a fascist. Agree?

Anybody who thinks Batman was fascist should study their politics. The Dark Knight, if anything, would be a libertarian. The fascists tell people how to live. Batman just tells criminals to stop.

You worked with Darren Aronofsky on a Batman movie project that never got made. What happened there?

It was the first time I worked on a Batman project with somebody whose vision of Batman was darker than mine. My Batman was too nice for him. We would argue about it, and I'd say, "Batman wouldn't do that, he wouldn't torture anybody," and so on. We hashed out a screenplay, and we were wonderfully compensated, but then Warner Bros. read it and said, "We don't want to make this movie." The executive wanted to do a Batman he could take his kids to. And this wasn't that. It didn't have the toys in it. The Batmobile was just a tricked-out car. And Batman turned his back on his fortune to live a street life so he could know what people were going through. He built his own Batcave in an abandoned part of the subway. And he created Batman out of whole cloth to fight crime and a corrupt police force.

There's some more there where he talks about Marvel and Daredevil and Elektra.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 4, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd love to see that Aronofsky script adapted for a miniseries. I mean, there's a rumor about letting Joel Schumacher get his unproduced third Batman movie out as a comic.
Though I wanna see that too :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bad movie ideas turned into comics is so great. I love Frank Miller's Robocop 2. It's like a master class in batshit crazy.

• Locked thread