Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Talkie Toaster posted:

There are some issues with the early-game balance. Many enemy fleets have Wolf (D)s, which are faster than all the starting options, have a good range, a teleporter and good shields- they can take all damage as flux and readily disengage to vent. When you could start in a Wolf yourself it wasn't such a problem. All you can do is run, but they're fast enough on the system map that they can catch you easily too.

Man, Wolves are my current favourite enemy to fight, especially if you start with a Lasher. They tend to blow half of their flux on the approach, overload at the slightest bit of pressure, and get immediately slagged thanks to their pitiful armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Talkie Toaster posted:

There are some issues with the early-game balance. Many enemy fleets have Wolf (D)s, which are faster than all the starting options, have a good range, a teleporter and good shields- they can take all damage as flux and readily disengage to vent. When you could start in a Wolf yourself it wasn't such a problem. All you can do is run, but they're fast enough on the system map that they can catch you easily too.

Not really true. the Wolf (D) is slower on the strategic map, with a burn speed of 9 to the players burn speed of 10 (The Lasher, Centurion, Scarab, Wayfarer and Hound all have this burn speed). The only way you'll be slower is if you start as a trader and pick the Tarsus, then you're stuck with burn 8.

In combat, the Wolf (D) has a top speed of 113, which is just slightly slower than a Lasher or Centurion (both 120). In reality, it'll be a bit faster in bursts due to using the phase skimmer, but none of the Wolf (D) variants have unstable injectors, augmented engines, or safety overrides, so you can easily modify your ships to go faster.

If you pick privateer, you can start with a Scarab at the cost of being hostile to Tri-tachyon. That has a speed of 130 and effectively goes even faster due to the effects of Temporal Shell.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Thanks for the advice all, I was trying to start off as the non-combat freighter and always getting caught out in fights but I restarted as the bounty hunter and now I've won some fights, am up to level four and have about 40k in the bank. BTW, where do I get supplies? Are they only a drop from enemies? I tried buying them at the station and planet I started near but they don't sell them and I'm starting to run low.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Thanks for the advice all, I was trying to start off as the non-combat freighter and always getting caught out in fights but I restarted as the bounty hunter and now I've won some fights, am up to level four and have about 40k in the bank. BTW, where do I get supplies? Are they only a drop from enemies? I tried buying them at the station and planet I started near but they don't sell them and I'm starting to run low.

Pretty much everywhere sells supplies unless there is a mission to deliver supplies to that place available.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I just wanted to say that as someone who loves evolution/ancient poo poo, I appreciate someone finally naming something after the noble eurypterid.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Smaller and shittier places may not have many supplies on hand, depending on what troubles their economy might be going through at the time. In a pinch, hit up the black market, they always have 50 supplies available as a stop-gap.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

BadOptics posted:

I just wanted to say that as someone who loves evolution/ancient poo poo, I appreciate someone finally naming something after the noble eurypterid.

Aw yeah. Would kill to see them just swimming around in the ancient sea.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Whats with the weird purple STAR guys in the Starsector+ mod? Are their ships meant to be super annoying to solo? Because the Blitz Destroyer is a oval office and a half.

Is there a trick to killing them? They eat lasers with no flux issues apparent, and dodge kinetic weapons.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 5, 2016

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
You guys weren't making GBS threads: this game is wildly different with SS+.

I ended up starting a new game and pulled the Centurion Class with the wide-set main guns - who's loving idea was that? I can't hit poo poo :downs:

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
There seems to be a problem with prices in my latest game. Some things cost significantly less to buy than to sell. I can sit in a station and generate infinite money buying and selling over and over again.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Do you have the latest latest version? .7.2a RC2 had that problem but RC3 supposedly fixed it.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Network Pesci posted:

Do you have the latest latest version? .7.2a RC2 had that problem but RC3 supposedly fixed it.

nope, thanks

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

I ended up starting a new game and pulled the Centurion Class with the wide-set main guns - who's loving idea was that? I can't hit poo poo :downs:

That's a vanilla ship

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
man, those ATFI point defense fighter wings are no joke. I was like, "oh point defense fighters, I will take them apart with my lasher no problem". 10 seconds later my lasher was dead.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

robotsinmyhead posted:

The Centurion seems to be meant to be more of a support ship, spraying fire at multiple targets and drawing fire. Basically a sort of inverse of the Brawler in terms of firepower. It would probably be useful in fleet actions but it's not something that would seem an ideal starting choice, especially when you can grab the Scarab and go Neo on some rear end.

BTW the Scarab is great fun and I love what was done to the Atropos torpedoes.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I'm on a giffing spree lately so here's a gif of the raddest moment from my latest Starsector youtube video:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Little guy at the end all "Don't worry buddy help has arri- oh uh jeeze oops ow christ"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

code:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.fs.starfarer.settings.B.getTextureId(Unknown Source)
	at org.dark.shaders.util.ShaderLib.renderForeground(ShaderLib.java:1098)
	at org.dark.shaders.util.ShaderLib.isForegroundEmpty(ShaderLib.java:634)
	at org.dark.shaders.light.LightShader.drawLights(LightShader.java:948)
	at org.dark.shaders.light.LightShader.renderInWorldCoords(LightShader.java:943)
	at org.dark.shaders.util.ShaderHook.renderInWorldCoords(ShaderHook.java:135)
	at com.fs.starfarer.title.C.o0oO$Oo.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.combat.A.new.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
	at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
316814 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [steel_rain.ogg]
316814 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [steel_rain.ogg]
I keep getting this error in a certain IBB bounty battle. I assume its the ShaderLib mod causing a problem. Does that seem likely? Should I make a thread over on their forum?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Is there a mod to disable the hacking weapons? That poo poo is way overpowered. It is like having a "gently caress you, I win" button hidden in every 15th frigate.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

wolfman101 posted:

Is there a mod to disable the hacking weapons? That poo poo is way overpowered. It is like having a "gently caress you, I win" button hidden in every 15th frigate.

Hacking weapons? You can manually tweak all weapons by going into the starsector core/data/weapons folder and edit the weapons data file. For mod weapons the same can be applied but you look in the individual mod folders instead.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Do you mean Ion guns and their EMP damage? Unless you're playing some mod I'm at a loss as to what else you might mean.

If so, yeah you can go into the weapon_data file in the folder mentioned above and remove all EMP damage from the guns if you want, I guess.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
it's the hacking beams from the SCY mod. they work kind of like an EMP weapon that can go through shields, but they work as point defence too.
they're probably a bit too strong in their role but they cost like 8 OP iirc so any frigate stacking them isn't going to have a lot of room for dealing damage.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Feels good man.

I basically ran train through Samarra, taking down four patrols and a full detachment, all one after another, in a fleet with mostly only BRDY destroyers.

Edit:

Why can't I take all of my ships with me when facing up against a gigantic fleet? Does the AI cheat or something, because it seems perfectly okay with taking every single ship in its fleet when fighting me.

fishception fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 7, 2016

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Why can't I take all of my ships with me when facing up against a gigantic fleet? Does the AI cheat or something, because it seems perfectly okay with taking every single ship in its fleet when fighting me.

I think if there's a mismatch between the overall size of opposing fleets, they'll get proportional deployment points. So if the AI fleet is twice as big as yours, you might have to fight at a 2:1 disadvantage (or vice versa).

You also know that both you and the AI can call in more ships as ships get destroyed or withdraw, right?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Always keep some fast as poo poo interceptors around to grab the strategic points early in a big fleet fight, both to starve them of deployment points and let you get the battle line out there.

Take this too far though and they'll retreat before fielding most of their heavies. :doh:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
New PC - went bananas with the mods and drat this is a whole different game. It's considerably harder, but it feels like there's more to work for.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Is it possible to increase the attitude between the different factions? I want to make Tri Tach and Blackrock friends, but they're starting at -50 and doing missions tends to incur a penalty with the other

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Salean posted:

Is it possible to increase the attitude between the different factions? I want to make Tri Tach and Blackrock friends, but they're starting at -50 and doing missions tends to incur a penalty with the other

Not unless you're playing a mod that adds that sort of thing. If you're playing Nexerelin you can use agents or prisoners. I think that's the only one.

e: you might be able to use savegame editing or the console commands mod.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

yaay posted:

it's the hacking beams from the SCY mod. they work kind of like an EMP weapon that can go through shields, but they work as point defence too.
they're probably a bit too strong in their role but they cost like 8 OP iirc so any frigate stacking them isn't going to have a lot of room for dealing damage.

You would think that.

Edit: I found the csvs. It is 6 OP, and 150 flux per second. I am going to try upping that to 8 OP and 1000 flux per second because holy poo poo.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 8, 2016

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Does Starsector+ work with 0.7.2a RC3? I downloaded the newest version (3.3.0) but the game still can't find the luddic path buffalo resources. From a brief read on the forums it seems like this was a problem with 7.1a due to some name changes, but I've made sure that both the game and mod are fresh installs. Anyone else get this? Is Starsector+ even a must have due to all the recent additions to the game?

Edit: I've also tested all my other mods; everything runs fine unless I enable Starsector+ in the mod menu.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

BadOptics posted:

Does Starsector+ work with 0.7.2a RC3? I downloaded the newest version (3.3.0) but the game still can't find the luddic path buffalo resources. From a brief read on the forums it seems like this was a problem with 7.1a due to some name changes, but I've made sure that both the game and mod are fresh installs.

Anyone else get this? Is Starsector+ even a must have due to all the recent additions to the game?
Edit: I've also tested all my other mods; everything runs fine unless I enable Starsector+ in the mod menu.

I just started a new game with just SS+, lazylib and shaderlib and can confirm it works fine running version 0.7.2a RC3. I believe SS+ also requires shaderlib and lazylib though, so make sure you have those updated and selected.

If it still doesn't work and you're NOT on windows it might be a file path issue where something is capitalized or the slashes are the wrong way around (Windows does not give a gently caress how files or folders are capitalized or which way your slashes go, Linux and Mac very much do).

Starsector+ is never a must have, it's strictly an "I want more ships/weapons/factions/stuff" mod.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lowen posted:

I just started a new game with just SS+, lazylib and shaderlib and can confirm it works fine running version 0.7.2a RC3. I believe SS+ also requires shaderlib and lazylib though, so make sure you have those updated and selected.

If it still doesn't work and you're NOT on windows it might be a file path issue where something is capitalized or the slashes are the wrong way around (Windows does not give a gently caress how files or folders are capitalized or which way your slashes go, Linux and Mac very much do).

Starsector+ is never a must have, it's strictly an "I want more ships/weapons/factions/stuff" mod.

I downloaded all the mods I wanted tonight (along with all the lib "mods"), so they should be up to date. I'm also running Win10 so it's not a OS issue. I guess I'll keep looking while playing vanilla; it's probably some small thing I'm overlooking.

Thank you for the help!

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

wolfman101 posted:

You would think that.

Edit: I found the csvs. It is 6 OP, and 150 flux per second. I am going to try upping that to 8 OP and 1000 flux per second because holy poo poo.

I think you're overreacting slightly

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah I've never had a problem with that weapon. Maybe spec into Resistant Flux Conduits if you hate EMP so much.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
What the gently caress is up with these phase ships? I like the idea, but it seems WAY overpowered considering how brokenly fast they are.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

robotsinmyhead posted:

What the gently caress is up with these phase ships? I like the idea, but it seems WAY overpowered considering how brokenly fast they are.

They do burn CR amazingly fast and the ship AI is tuned to handle them but I haven't seen enough of them on the opponent side to tell if that's enough.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

DatonKallandor posted:

They do burn CR amazingly fast and the ship AI is tuned to handle them but I haven't seen enough of them on the opponent side to tell if that's enough.

I had only run into 1 or 2 in the entirety of my new game, but last night I had a bounty where two of the larger ones (I forget the name, but I think they were Harbingers) showed up in the same fight with some random frigate.

The thing would Phase Cloak, jump thru me, shoot my engines, then by the time I'd turned around, it'd be back to 0-Flux and repeat ad naus. I had to save scum through the fight cause the first time I tried it, one of them had aced all 4 of my frigates without taking any damage.

I got the jist of how to handle them later but it was loving frustrating.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Trying to do missions for blackrock is really difficult since they don't seem to spawn very often.

With all the factions hating each other it's really hard to get bigger ships without just getting a commission, and that seems to make everyone else in space hate me

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

There's always boarding if you dont wanna commit to anything. Either way making enemies is inevitable if you want to get your hands on good stuff (SS+ has the Prism Freeport though, but thass expensive)

Adding more brdy markets in the future should increase their mission frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Wait, Prism Freeport? Is that SS+ or Nexerelin?

I'm awful at this game!!

edit: I'm willing to be spoiled on the location of the freeport

Salean fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 11, 2016