Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Imapanda posted:

My wooden outdoor fortress is doomed..

Don't worry, I'm fairly sure the marvels of Dwarven wall engineering are still immune to all forms of burning and destruction, regardless of their building material. Your wooden walls should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Were magma crab? Also your only hope is to dig out a moat.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Shbobdb posted:

Did some traders bring a bagful of magma that spontaneously combusted when they entered your area?

Just in case someone thinks this is a joke, no, that's a recently introduced bug that hasn't been fixed yet and may be the cause of spontaneous above ground fires coinciding with the arrival of traders.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i told my mayor to start crafting iron leggings and he dropped all his clothes?

e: you know what, no, this doesn't match up to bagged lava. sorry i posted

e2: oh poo poo a dwarf just strange mood claimed a forge here we go!!!

Aug 24, 2011

you piece of poo poo

he's now a legendary metalcrafter

Aug 24, 2011

my temple is chock full of dwarves, are there any reasons not to delete it and make it bigger

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dreggon posted:

you piece of poo poo

he's now a legendary metalcrafter

Nah, it's great because you can place it for dwarves to admire. Way better than a scepter or earring or some poo poo.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

Nah, it's great because you can place it for dwarves to admire. Way better than a scepter or earring or some poo poo.

Specifically, place it in a noble's room, on top of a magma pipe. Be careful you don't attach it to a lever, lest somebody accidentally flood the room.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

darthbob88 posted:

Specifically, place it in a noble's room, on top of a magma pipe. Be careful you don't attach it to a lever, lest somebody accidentally flood the room.

And definitely do not give said lever inside the room only to the noble's room and then tell them to use it if they give you a bad mandate or order.

You don't want an unfortunate accident to occur.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hatch covers are the single most overpowered construction in the game. Properly built your fortress will be unassailable with one.

Aug 24, 2011

i have two artifact hatch covers now, and am using them as a front door

is this good for mood increasing or should i stick them in the dining hall? not that anybody uses it, they all hang out at the temple :(

e: ....why don't i put them in the temple.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
now you're thinking with dorf

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Man can't wait for the next starter pack to come out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's just waiting on mifki to compile a new version of TWBT, honestly. DFHack is rolling just fine.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Dreggon posted:

i have two artifact hatch covers now, and am using them as a front door

is this good for mood increasing or should i stick them in the dining hall? not that anybody uses it, they all hang out at the temple :(

e: ....why don't i put them in the temple.

Artifact constructions are invulnerable, so if you kept them at your primary entrance then nothing would ever be able to get through them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

scamtank posted:

It's just waiting on mifki to compile a new version of TWBT, honestly. DFHack is rolling just fine.

pretty much what I want it for. I loving love multi level rendering and tilesets without loving stuff for numbers everywhere else.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Disappointed that the three four-pointed stars are not screaming.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
So uh, can tree branches count as connections when checking for cave ins? I can't find anything else linking solid ground to the chunk of surface I dug around/under.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

it might indeed

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Do trees have a cap in certain biomes? I want as few trees as possible so in my last embark I found a 3x3 that only had sparse tiles. In the beginning I chopped them all down but a few years later I had a treesplosion and 2-3x as many grew back then I hard originally started with. I'm really trying to remove as many possible FPS sinks as I can and I noticed a decent dip when they all started to grow back. I'm about to embark in a desert that only has 15 trees in it and a little wood would be nice but I'll leave them alone if twice as many are just going to grow back.

Edit: Well what do you know. While I was browsing bay12forums someone posted a similar thread. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156672.0 Its a shame the extirpate command stopped working.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 2, 2016

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

FalloutGod posted:

Do trees have a cap in certain biomes? I want as few trees as possible so in my last embark I found a 3x3 that only had sparse tiles. In the beginning I chopped them all down but a few years later I had a treesplosion and 2-3x as many grew back then I hard originally started with. I'm really trying to remove as many possible FPS sinks as I can and I noticed a decent dip when they all started to grow back. I'm about to embark in a desert that only has 15 trees in it and a little wood would be nice but I'll leave them alone if twice as many are just going to grow back.

Embark on a glacier with some logs to start with (mostly for beds). Dig down to the caverns ASAP so you can start an indoor tree farm and limit the size of it.

It may be possible to gather all the fruit/leaves/seeds and they won't grow later? Never tried or thought about it.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I thought about doing a glacier embark but most the sites I find have very few neighbors and I like having all my neighbors. Maybe I could try finding some savanna and doing a really sweet top level yearly burn to take care of all the trees/vegetation. :black101: All the grass grows back pretty quick right?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Maybe when TWBT finally comes out, I'll dip my hand into the pool of insanity again and start a new bloodline fort. Just need to figure out how to weed out guys who get a turn then do nothing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

Disappointed that the three four-pointed stars are not screaming.

I won't be satisfied until the screaming is also screaming.

And that screaming is screaming as well.

All is screaming.

SCREAM.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
What's the best way to start a surface fire short of spawning magma with df hack? Cart it up by hand from the sea?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Gibbo posted:

What's the best way to start a surface fire short of spawning magma with df hack? Cart it up by hand from the sea?

Become an adventurer and use the 'light thing on fire command'?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

Do trees have a cap in certain biomes? I want as few trees as possible so in my last embark I found a 3x3 that only had sparse tiles.

I think you'd be better off embarking so only a small corner of your map had ANY trees if that's what you're going for.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I won't be satisfied until the screaming is also screaming.

And that screaming is screaming as well.

All is screaming.

SCREAM.

This would require Toady to implement scream elements, which would require atmospheric vibration, which would require aerodynamics...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

This would require Toady to implement scream elements, which would require atmospheric vibration, which would require aerodynamics...

So I just need to wait around a few months until he just randomly implements it.

Got it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Muscle Tracer posted:

That would result in a pressure rework, so I could finally make my water elevators.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gibbo posted:

That would result in a pressure rework, so I could finally make my water elevators.

God I've been wanting this since the first time I tried to build a pump stack. Why have 300 pumps when you could just have one pump with 400 power spouting a magma geyser up into the overworld?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Well, DFHack finally got a proper alpha-1 for version 06. Peridexis has already gone off to shake mifki awake, so the LNP probably isn't far behind.

e: well now, here it is: https://build.mifki.com/

scamtank fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 5, 2016

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Starterpack is updated: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If anyone here is going to be at GDC, you can swing by the talk "Practices in Procedural Generation" on Monday and listen to Tarn speak about the upcoming implementation of myth and magic into Dwarf Fortress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyA4QD_6-2A

quote:

Tanya Short | Creative Director, Kitfox Games
Tarn Adams | Toady One, Bay 12 Games
Date: Monday, March 14
Time: 3:00pm - 3:30pm
Format: Session
Track: Independent Games Summit
Pass Type: All Access Pass, Independent Games Summit Pass, Summits, Tutorials & Bootcamps Pass

More details: http://ubm.io/1QJSNuT

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

If anyone here is going to be at GDC, you can swing by the talk "Practices in Procedural Generation" on Monday and listen to Tarn speak about the upcoming implementation of myth and magic into Dwarf Fortress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyA4QD_6-2A

No. Way.

I honestly didn't think I'd see this in 20 years.

Given that Tarn will be the first to be uploaded to the cloud to code (only for a single processor of course) in perpetuity :allears:.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Thank goodness that the starter pack has been updated. TWBT makes things much more enjoyable.

Also that the graphics packs have been updated, I assume, to 42.06 as well.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Helical Nightmares posted:

No. Way.

I honestly didn't think I'd see this in 20 years.

Given that Tarn will be the first to be uploaded to the cloud to code (only for a single processor of course) in perpetuity :allears:.

I'm really excited about it (as I am with pretty much everything DF, but... you know :iit:). Even just this brief video is great with its tidbits:

:frog: posted:

It's pretty rough right now, so you get magic effects like create a bucket of water at the cost of your own life, or the ability to confuse somebody by screaming at them. But there's something new every time!

:psydwarf: posted:

In the beginning, there was only fire in which
lay the cosmic egg. The great Tafukite hatched
from the cosmic egg. Tafukite mated with the
fire
bearing the great Gumus. Gumus thought
into being the great Cinus. Tafukite dreamed
into being the land. Gumus forged The Glass
of Kycadeus
that all might be seen. Cinus
breathed into being the great Nuzikon. Nuzikon
created the dwarves using The Glass of Kycadeus.
Gumus created Pania the rat using the dwarves.
Cinus created the moon using the dwarves. The
dwarves
destroyed The Glass of Kycadeus.
Kygedon pronounced The Gift of Death to punish
the rebellion of the dwarves.

Dwarves age and eventually die, and they can
perish from accidents, violence and disease. They
have immortal souls. Their souls are a microcosm
of the universe, and enlightenment can be obtained
through self-reflection. With perfect conduct, the
soul lingers on after the body dies. Death is
followed by a distinct sound. With proper
conduct and physical fitness, the soul merges with
The Spirit of Hunger after the body dies.
Otherwise, the soul travels to The Wild World
after the body dies. Their fates are completely
predetermined.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I love it. I am screaming.