Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Maybe the idiot pointing guns on the overpass got busted too? Seems like another day of arrests.

https://twitter.com/uglyportland1/status/705467831328968705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty confused what exactly was done, and why, to Davey .
The closest I can tell, they arrested him for refusing to disperse on a closed highway and then resisting arrest. I find it very hard to take anything the Bundy family says at face value, particularly when they're claiming he was "exercising his constitutional rights" when we've seen how that can mean anything from threatening to lynch government employees, bulldozing archaeological sites, and fortifying a seized building with firearms and explosives.

quote:

The 37-year-old said heavily armed federal agents roughed him up and arrested him for exercising his constitutional rights on a state highway in northeast Clark County on Sunday.

“They got on their loudspeaker and said that everyone needed to leave,” Dave Bundy said during an impromptu news conference alongside his father outside a 7-Eleven on Las Vegas Boulevard. “I stood there and continued to express my First Amendment right to protest, and they approached me and said that if I didn’t leave, they’d arrest me.”

The younger Bundy said he was taking photographs and protesting peacefully at the time.

Natalie Collins, a spokeswoman for the Nevada U.S. attorney’s office, said Bundy was cited on misdemeanor charges of “refusing to disperse” and resisting arrest.

Earlier, BLM spokeswoman Kirsten Cannon said Bundy was taken into custody to “protect public safety and maintain the peace.”

“The Bureau of Land Management and National Park Service support the public’s right to express opinions peacefully and lawfully. However, if an individual threatens, intimidates or assaults another individual or impedes the impoundment, they may be arrested in accordance with local, state or Federal laws,” Cannon said in a statement.

Cliven Bundy viewed his son’s arrest differently.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/rancher-s-son-describes-arrest-protest-federal-cattle-roundup

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Knight posted:

The closest I can tell, they arrested him for refusing to disperse on a closed highway and then resisting arrest. I find it very hard to take anything the Bundy family says at face value, particularly when they're claiming he was "exercising his constitutional rights" when we've seen how that can mean anything from threatening to lynch government employees, bulldozing archaeological sites, and fortifying a seized building with firearms and explosives.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/rancher-s-son-describes-arrest-protest-federal-cattle-roundup

On the one hand, anyone getting beat for "resisting arrest" is typically bullshit and shouldn't happen. On the other hand, I know it would be super easy to find evidence of Davey saying that if "urban ferals" didn't want to get beat on by cops maybe they should obey the law.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't trust anything the Bundys say. The feds and the BLM are no fans of them so I kind of took that report about his cattle being wild with a grain of salt, but it sounds like if anything it was an understatement about how bad of a rancher he was. Here's a quote from the family in a different article:

quote:

“Our cattle is our livelihood, we take good care of them. They are well-fed and receive plenty or water,” one family member told FoxNews.com, dismissing claims that the herd was destroying government lands and property. “The manure fertilizes the ground, their grazing prevents fires. I would invite anyone to come out here and see for themselves that the cattle is well looked after. The government wants to paint us as inhumane, but we are a God-fearing family. We wouldn’t have a livelihood if we destroyed our own land and cattle.”

I'm no ranching expert, but if you look at the Bundy Ranch on Google maps it's basically a couple farms along the nearby road and then endless desert. I'm sure letting a non-native species poo poo everywhere and forage freely is super awesome for the environment and really contributes to making that dry desert soil fertile for the desert brush.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

On the one hand, anyone getting beat for "resisting arrest" is typically bullshit and shouldn't happen. On the other hand, I know it would be super easy to find evidence of Davey saying that if "urban ferals" didn't want to get beat on by cops maybe they should obey the law.
He got a little shiner, probably from his fat rear end body bouncing off the ground. I don't see anything to suggest a "beating".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BundyRanch/status/705493714299301889

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Bundys should really add something like "unconstitutionally arrested under charges against false corporate personhood" because I'm pretty sure that tweet is going to get a lot of likes.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Another son? Be fruitful and multiply, indeed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Another son? Be fruitful and multiply, indeed.

He has 14 children.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

That image about "Davey" was from his 2014 arrest, as far as I can tell there's no word of charges for his 2016 arrest.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The bundys can field a prison baseball team. I want to see this now. And then they can argue the umpire has no jurisdiction over boats.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I wonder if it's like the olson family outside the twins there's feral bundys running around vents and poo poo

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I would like to see a sovereign citizen try to use the gold fringe clause only to remember that they are on trial for some sort of boat related crimes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"Thank your father kids"
"Thanks dad!"

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Planet Money recently did an interesting podcast called Larry vs. The IRS

Old rich white dude and his old rich white dude lawyer buddy believe they don't have to pay taxes because they declare themselves sovereign citizens and think the Internal in Internal Revenue Service means that only people receiving money from the Federal government can be taxed. Because it's money internal to the Fed. Larry sets up a trust where all his money goes instead of to himself so that he technically has no income (though he is obviously the beneficiary of the trust). He thinks taxes are bad and says we should have toll roads if we want them so badly.

He is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat throughout and still seems angry that he had to pay back taxes even though he knows his arguments were bullshit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"but let me tell you how different gitmo is and how that's the American Way"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

"but let me tell you how different gitmo is and how that's the American Way"

well yeah, non-white non-citizens are literally subhuman so it's fine to torture them. the bill of rights only applies to God's chosen children, which is obviously American rural hicks and not, I don't know, jews or something?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
14 more charged for the 2014 Nevada standoff today

quote:

Melvin D. Bundy, 41, of Round Mountain, Nevada
David H. Bundy, 39, of Delta, Utah

Brian D. Cavalier, 44, of Bunkerville

Blaine Cooper, 36, of Humboldt, Arizona

Gerald A. DeLemus, 61, of Rochester, New Hampshire

Eric J. Parker, 32, of Hailey, Idaho

O. Scott Drexler, 44, of Challis, Idaho

Richard R. Lovelien, 52, of Westville, Oklahoma

Steven A. Stewart, 36, of Hailey

Todd C. Engel, 48, of Boundary County, Idaho

Gregory P. Burleson, 52, of Phoenix

Joseph D. O’Shaughnessy, 43, of Cottonwood, Arizona

Micah L. McGuire, 31, of Chandler, Arizona

Jason D. Woods, 30, of Chandler, Arizona

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81cCV1S2vNpNW1YSEl5VjRnbVE/view

Who's Who

Melvin and David Bundy: Bundy sons, obvs, not previously in custody an did not appear to be directly involved in Malheur

Brian Cavalier: Cliven's "bodyguard" during the 2014 standoff, also charged for Malheur standoff, AKA "fluffy unicorn," currently in pre-trial detention in Oregon for Malheur, stolen valor guy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...redentials.html

Blaine Cooper: also charged for Malheur standoff, currently in pre-trial detention in oregon for Malheur, Arizona border vigilante guy

Gerald DeLemus: involved in Trump campaign, traveled to Oregon for Malheur standoff but has not yet been charged for that, was involved in organizing armed patrols / checkpoints on public roads at Bundy 2014

Eric Parker: the "bridge sniper" guy from Bundy 2014, not charged for malheur as far as i am aware, but was present for the Hammond protest

O. Scott Drexler: another Bundy 2014 Bridge guy, might have gone to Hammond protest in Burns, but unsure of any role in malheur standoff

Steven Stewart: another bridge guy in 2014, associated with Eric Parker but unsure of specific role beyond that

Richard Lovelien: not sure of his exact role, appears to just be some generic dude brandishing a rifle

Todd Engle: not sure, but appears to be associated with Eric Parker's group on the bridge

Gregg Burleson: appears to be a generic dude brandishing a rifle, also makes cool facebook posts: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=577132589049093&id=368813346547686

Joseph O'Shaughnessy: the guy who ran off with the food money and bought booze early on at Malheur, had been approved for pre-trial release a couple weeks agi in Oregon, unsure of role in 2014.

Micah L. McGuire: appears to have been associated with Gregg Burleson and Jason Woods, unsure of specific role

Jason Woods: appears to be associated with Micah McGuire and Gregg Burleson, unsure of specific role

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/watch-ammon-bundy-interview-from-jail/66722905

quote:

Ammon Bundy, the leader of the armed standoff at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, spoke with KGW's Kyle Iboshi during an interview from jail on Thursday, March 3.

He even has his pocket constitution in jail, bless him.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I'm pretty sure they can't legally take away your religious material in jail :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they can't legally take away your religious material in jail :v:

But they don't still have their guns?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I could lie that effortlessly.

inputfailed
Nov 9, 2005
"I know that LaVoy saved many lives that day..."

Yep, with his inability to cross-draw.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dying was the best thing to happen to his slave family

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alan Smithee posted:

Dying was the best thing to happen to his slave family

So LaVoy was DiCaprio and the feds are Django?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Except none of the collateral slaves died so even better

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
LaVoy is driving around spreading freedom one day when he gets domed by an Oregon State Policeman. Because he was a good patriot he wakes up in Heaven and gazes upon the infinite glory of God, who he notices is wearing a robe with gold fringe.

"You can't fool me, Satan!" He shouts as he fumbles for his pistol. God strikes LaVoy down. LaVoy wakes up to find Satan welcoming him to hell.

"You can't fool me, Muhammed!" He shouts as he fumbles for his pistol. Satan strikes LaVoy down. LaVoy wakes up to find Muhammed welcoming him to Muslim heaven.

"You can't fool me, Obama!" He shouts as he fumbles for his pistol.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/706198263200923651

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SassafrasSoup/status/706254580921688064

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I, for one, approve of the tea party evolving into the tarp party.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Malheur Standoff: Poe's Law Is Now Real Life

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/03/people_gather_at_federal_court.html#incart_2box

haha the photo gallery is amazing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

More than 100 people gather in Portland in memory of LaVoy Finicum

More than 100 men and women gathered Saturday in downtown Portland to pay homage to Robert "LaVoy" Finicum, the Oregon wildlife refuge occupier who was shot and killed by state police Jan. 26 as they moved in to arrest him.

The protesters assembled under cloudy skies in front of the Multnomah County jail in downtown Portland. For more than two hours, the park across from the detention center was home to a moving forest of signs and flags as Finicum supporters cheered and shouted. A few dozen counter-protesters kept pace with their own blow-horns and chants.

It was one several rallies planned in at least 35 states for Finicum, whose death has become a rallying point for people who believe the federal government is infringing on people's rights. Rallies were scheduled throughout the day at U.S. courthouses, public parks and capitol buildings, including in Salem, Bend and in Olympia, Washington.

Although on the whole the protest was peaceful, a shouting match began mere minutes after its 11 a.m. start.

"Keep your Bundy hands off our public lands," counter-protesters chanted, referring either to the leader of the refuge occupation, Ammon Bundy, or his father, Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy.

A pro-occupier demonstrator carrying a sign that said "Release God's People" shouted back: "No way, man, it is public land. We own it, we the people."

A central theme of this and other occupation-related protests has been the alleged federal overreach that has infringed on ranchers' rights. The occupiers had demanded that the land in eastern Oregon be handed over to local control, and that two ranchers imprisoned for burning federal land be released.

Finicum was one of dozens of militants who occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in eastern Oregon for almost a month. On Jan. 26, FBI agents and Oregon State Police troopers stopped him as he and other militants were driving to a community meeting in John Day. Finicum was shot after the FBI said he reached twice for a pocket where he had a loaded 9mm pistol.

This rally and the dozens of others around the country are intended to spread awareness of the arrests of 25 refuge occupiers as well as to gather signatures in support of an investigation into Finicum's death, a spokeswoman for the Finicum family said.

A woman who said she was a second cousin to one of the arrested occupiers, Jon Ritzheimer, said she came to Portland from Eagle Point to support him because he "fought for our constitution and is standing up for his rights."

Ritzheimer, along with two dozen others associated with the 41-day occupation, is charged with conspiracy to impede a federal officer through intimidation or force. The sentence carries a maximum sentence of six years, plus fines.

Soon after the Portland rally began, the protesters marched around the park. They then gathered in the middle and organizer Kelli Stewart told them to look toward the window of the Multnomah County jail that she said was the window to Ammon Bundy's cell. In unison, the protesters saluted in that direction, then held a moment of silence, as a horn from the counter-protesters continued to blare.

A woman wearing a blue tarp, which has become a symbol for Finicum, sang the national anthem and Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." Finicum became known as "tarp man" after doing a series of interviews with a blue tarp over his head.

Finicum supporters were urged to not engage with counter-protesters and stuck to their script. Police had braced for the possibility that some participants might openly carry weapons, but an Oregonian/OregonLive reporter did not see any demonstrators with firearms.

Around noon the protest moved to city hall, where someone had set up a small shrine for Finicum. It consisted of a large photograph of him, 11 candles, a tarp on a lawn chair and a straw hat.

Though the two protest camps stayed mostly separated, there was some tension near the end when counter-protesters came too close for some of the Finicum ralliers' comfort.

A woman held a blow-horn as a man stood next to her holding a pole with a Snickers bar and handcuffs hanging from the end. The candy bar was a reference to occupiers' plea for snacks at the beginning of the occupation.

People gathered around the two counter-protesters as the leader of a prominent anti-government group appeared to push the man with the pole from behind. Police intervened and things quickly calmed down, though the counter-protesters did not leave.

By that point the number of protesters had gone down to a few dozen, with people planning to go to Salem for a protest there.

Finicum's death has become a flashpoint for people who see it as part of a pattern of behavior by an unjust government. Many have called his death a murder, saying Finicum was "ambushed" by law enforcement and that his death could have been avoided.

Most of the leaders of the occupation were arrested the same day Finicum died.

Many of the occupiers left voluntarily soon after. The occupation ended Feb. 11 after the last four holdouts surrendered.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:911:

:911:

The black bloc showed up

Goon counterprotestors:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

I, for one, approve of the tea party evolving into the tarp party.

Someone should show up playing the DJ Snake mixtape asking if this is in fact the trap party

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:toot:CROSS DRAW FOR WHAT?:toot:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm in there as a counter protestor looking like a goober

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to go and have a sign that says "Died For Nothing" with the letters written in cut out pieces of tarp but I imagine people would get up in my face and shout at me. They probably have terrible breath so I imagine it would be pretty awful.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

cumshitter posted:

I'd like to go and have a sign that says "Died For Nothing" with the letters written in cut out pieces of tarp but I imagine people would get up in my face and shout at me. They probably have terrible breath so I imagine it would be pretty awful.

Now that's a pretty good way to desecrate a tarp but I prefer camping. By dirtying up a tarp and also disposing of human waste properly, you can insult his memory in two ways simultaneously.

edit: well, not EXACTLY simultaneously, I don't want that dirty of a tarp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

christ what a melty woman