Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I replayed the HD one recently and the way I described the experience was "it's a bad good game"

Like you know how a "good bad" game or movie or w/e is something that's clearly objectively flawed and stupid but extremely fun or funny or interesting? FFX is a game that's really well-made in all technical aspects, probably has the tightest and most well-balanced combat/bosses of any Final Fantasy, and has some good story beats, but also has some awful story beats, a ton of unskippable bad cutscenes, and some of the most repulsively awful minigames ever designed which are a big part of the otherwise-anemic endgame and optional content; it felt like a "good game" on some level but I was basically never enjoying it

:agreed:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm so dumb and the video capture card that I ordered might not get here until APRIL 22 WHAT THE gently caress. But it's already shipped so it's too late to upgrade shipping.

That is not in time for Dark Souls 3. My dream of doing a blind let's-play is rapidly dying.

It's not like I was going to be able to do a good one anyway, I've got no streaming experience. I just thought it would be fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wish I could photoshop so I could do a thread where we put Crash Bandicoot in other games.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm not sure if I want to buy Lightning Returns or the new Hitman with the sale going on.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do you have a PS3?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you have a PS3?

Yes but I'm not spending real money on either game just the stuff I get from card selling.

Snak posted:

I'm so dumb and the video capture card that I ordered might not get here until APRIL 22 WHAT THE gently caress. But it's already shipped so it's too late to upgrade shipping.

That is not in time for Dark Souls 3. My dream of doing a blind let's-play is rapidly dying.

It's not like I was going to be able to do a good one anyway, I've got no streaming experience. I just thought it would be fun.

Do you have an Xbone or something?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, then get Lightning Returns.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snak posted:

every platform it's releasing on has native streaming and recording what are you doing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

every platform it's releasing on has native streaming and recording what are you doing

Does Xbone have native streaming I thought you could just record short clips

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Does Xbone have native streaming I thought you could just record short clips

yes, they even had "exclusivity" with twitch at launch (although got twitch streaming after the ps4 somehow)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

yes, they even had "exclusivity" with twitch at launch (although got twitch streaming after the ps4 somehow)

Ha ha jesus what a dummy.

Snak posted:

You're a dummy!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
But the Xbox One Twitch integration doesn't let you cover the screen in all sorts of dumb bullshit notifications, soundbites and overlays! How will anyone know how pro you are?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lady Naga posted:

You're a dummy!

And you are implying that going towards the xbone is a better alternative.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/BadLayouts/status/703099015118741506

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

xbox one: clip recording up to 5 minutes, twitch streaming

ps4: clip recording of up to 15 minutes, twitch, ustream and youtube streaming

pc: whatever the gently caress u want i guess

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

limaCAT posted:

And you are implying that going towards the xbone is a better alternative.

What? Since when?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I couldn't sleep last night so I gave hyrule warriors a play. Holy moly that is a really good game!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I bought Lightning Returns with my ill-gotten gains and it is currently installing.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You should've gotten the new Hitman. To be fair, I've only ever played like half of one FF game when I was ten.

Edit: Chances are that possibly the full version of Hitman may disappoint, so maybe it won't be amazing?

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 4, 2016

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I feel like the combat in mana khemia is such a huge upgrade over the combat of every ff game I played (1, a bit of 6, 7, 12) I have to wonder why people never talk about this, maybe it's because other jrpgs like earthbound already had invented the cool elements of it so mana khemia never actually breaks new ground but it's by far the best rpg combat I've played that is similar to classic dragon quest

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hahahaha

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Joe Gillian posted:

You should've gotten the new Hitman. To be fair, I've only ever played like half of one FF game when I was ten.

Edit: Chances are that possibly the full version of Hitman may disappoint, so maybe it won't be amazing?

It's not on sale anyway so by the time it comes out I'll probably be able to afford it as well.

I feel really dirty for playing into Squeenix's philosophy of "if we charge people a fraction of retail price for part of the game now and then release the rest later, people are more likely to buy it even if it sucks" but drat it 17 dollars is right in that sweet spot of not caring.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 4, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Re: Hunters vs Federation Force. Isn't it a bit silly to compare the graphics? I don't think anyone has ever been under the impression that the 3DS is some kind of powerhouse compared to the original DS, and most of the additional processing power goes towards making the 3D not run like garbage. A slightly prettier Hunters in 3D is about what I expected.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

It's not on sale anyway so by the time it comes out I'll probably be able to afford it as well.

I feel really dirty for playing into Squeenix's philosophy of "if we charge people a fraction of retail price for part of the game now and then release the rest later, people are more likely to buy it even if it sucks" but drat it 17 dollars is right in that sweet spot of not caring.

It probably won't be too long before it goes on sale after release anyway.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
fed force looks like it could be fun, and it is by devs who have a good track record, but they keep trying to push that this is a metroid game and it deserves the metroid name and stuff when they'd be better off imo just explaining that it's a fun metroid spinoff instead of trying to convince people that this is totally a metroid game

:shrug:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

Re: Hunters vs Federation Force. Isn't it a bit silly to compare the graphics? I don't think anyone has ever been under the impression that the 3DS is some kind of powerhouse compared to the original DS, and most of the additional processing power goes towards making the 3D not run like garbage. A slightly prettier Hunters in 3D is about what I expected.

RE Revelations looks like gangbusters and I'm sure it's hardly the only 3DS game that looks really good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I am excited to play SNES games on my New Nintendo 3DS!

Especially Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country, neither of which I have played.

Lady Naga posted:

RE Revelations looks like gangbusters and I'm sure it's hardly the only 3DS game that looks really good.

I haven't played it but looking at pictures, yeah it does look good. But I also noticed that most of the environments are confined and indoors. I dunno, frankly I still can't think of another 3DS game I've played that looks that good.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

I am excited to play SNES games on my New Nintendo 3DS!

Especially Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country, neither of which I have played.

I haven't played it but looking at pictures, yeah it does look good. But I also noticed that most of the environments are confined and indoors. I dunno, frankly I still can't think of another 3DS game I've played that looks that good.

MGS3DS is also really good looking but it's hard to think of games that are visually impressive in the traditional sense because most of the 3DS games I've played are extremely stylized.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wish I could photoshop so I could do a thread where we put Crash Bandicoot in other games.

First need in a photoshop thread is source material. Get enough source material to work with, and wizards will appear to conjure the funny stuff.

Lady Naga posted:

I think perhaps the strategy is twofold:
One, you get people who don't want to go 60 in on a game, they get their toes wet with an under-20 cost, and test their system with one particular level/scenario/whatever, but it uses the full volume of the physics, graphics, mechanics, and so on. And if you feel ripped off, since it's "only 17 bucks" you might feel less ripped off, and therefore less inclined to ask for a refund.

Two, they can gauge how much to expand into the future. You buy a 60 dollar game, how much of that did you play?
:shrug:
Well, by separating the games, they can gauge how quickly the interest wanes, and it will determine if further content might be worth it.

I don't agree with it, but from a business and marketing standpoint, I recognize that it holds a great advantage for a company to implement.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
God I fuckin' hate RPG melodrama.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Lady Naga posted:

MGS3DS is also really good looking

Framerate is rear end though, unfortunately.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I replayed the HD one recently and the way I described the experience was "it's a bad good game"

Like you know how a "good bad" game or movie or w/e is something that's clearly objectively flawed and stupid but extremely fun or funny or interesting? FFX is a game that's really well-made in all technical aspects, probably has the tightest and most well-balanced combat/bosses of any Final Fantasy, and has some good story beats, but also has some awful story beats, a ton of unskippable bad cutscenes, and some of the most repulsively awful minigames ever designed which are a big part of the otherwise-anemic endgame and optional content; it felt like a "good game" on some level but I was basically never enjoying it

It's also the closest thing to a prototype of FFXIII

I would argue that FF13 was a very bad attempt at recreating X, because it was half-assed and nowhere near as carefully constructed.

Pretty much all of X's worst content is in its optional endgame stuff, and it's fairly easy to get the optional summons and go beat Omega without needing to do the abject worst of it. I mean, I guess you don't have to do any of it, but you'll probably need either some ultimate weapons or some high-end upgrade materials to beat Braska's Final Aeon. Of due note, if you do too much optional content, you'll literally kill the final challenge of the game in two hits so...like, don't do much.

The game played as intended has you basically never deviating from the main story and as such Braska's is really challenging and a good climax.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lady Naga posted:

God I fuckin' hate RPG melodrama.

I loving love it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait, there's a whole other map in Dying Light? But I've been playing it for like 15 hours already....

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait, there's a whole other map in Dying Light? But I've been playing it for like 15 hours already....

Oh yeah, welcome to the good part :getin:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Old Town should have been the bigger map really.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's really hosed up that the genre that's the most well-suited for cool, subtle character moments would rather blast you in the face with boring poo poo about prophecies and world-ending threats.

Lightning sure does love her sister. Why does she love her sister? Iunno, they're siblings, so obviously they just really like each other. Wouldn't you rather hear more about my super cool ideas like...What if...There's an evil thing called "the darkness" and it threatens to end the world???

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Motto posted:

isn't that most FF games, maybe substituting "linear character development" with "homogeneous character development"?

Not really unless you grind for a million hours, and even then you get options for how they grow.

Tidus is the speedy frontliner who manipulates turn order, and changing this would be deliberately sabotaging him considering the number of levels it'd take to get him anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lady Naga posted:

It's really hosed up that the genre that's the most well-suited for cool, subtle character moments would rather blast you in the face with boring poo poo about prophecies and world-ending threats.

Lightning sure does love her sister. Why does she love her sister? Iunno, they're siblings, so obviously they just really like each other. Wouldn't you rather hear more about my super cool ideas like...What if...There's an evil thing called "the darkness" and it threatens to end the world???

You didn't seriously download LR expecting the plot to be good or make sense, did you? Everyone praises LR because it's fun to play and that's about it. The story is batshit and awful.

• Locked thread