Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

A human heart posted:

Hey thread, just finished the first book of the Fuckshit series by Retard Childman, can anyone recommend anything similar?

Check out This Post by A human heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Honour killing was/is by no means monopolised by the elite. I'm no expert but I'd put money on it that what goes on in tribal patriarchies the world over it broadly unchanged from times when peasants/peasant equivalents still lived there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Strategic Tea posted:

Honour killing was/is by no means monopolised by the elite. I'm no expert but I'd put money on it that what goes on in tribal patriarchies the world over it broadly unchanged from times when peasants/peasant equivalents still lived there.

Sounds like the ingredients of an interesting story. Shame about the actual book.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 3, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WarLocke posted:

Here's a suggestion from out of left field: Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas books? I'd say they qualify as 'urban fantasy', and most of them take place in/around Pico Mundo, California.

The first book even got a movie treatment, and somehow still turned out pretty alright.
First, if you think Odd Thomas was an alright movie, you have terrible taste. Second, I've read Odd Thomas, it was better than some Koontz stuff, but that's not saying much. I don't see how he turned it into a series, I thought that Thomas dry-humping his ghost girlfriend for weeks, was a pretty good way to end the series, but apparently somebody wanted to read more of it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

coyo7e posted:

you have terrible taste

You're probably right. I guess I should recommend something I don't like, then.

Tell me, have you read Watch on the Rhine? :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kraps posted:

Any opinions on the Nexus series by Ramez Naam? It looks kind of like Lock-In which I enjoyed.

It's pretty good, but I wasn't blown away. Naam is a little bit preachy when it comes to the virtues of IP-based telepathy and meditation, to the point where I was somewhat irritated by it even though I largely like what he has to say.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

I also think FItzpatrick's War is a good book. Ignore the fact that one of the goodreads genre's it's under is Steampunk. :barf: It's totally good.

Man, it's been years since I read that. I'd also say that you shouldn't let the fact that the premise reads like a Baen-esque right-wing milsf fantasy put you off. Ultimately it's a story about a simple, conservative man trying to deal with the fact that the people he trusts as his leaders are monsters. From what little I've read of Judson, it was very much a "write what you know" situation.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just picked up United States of Japan -- supposed to be inspired by the man in the high castle, but with mecha. Will post imps when I finish it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What're peoples' thoughts on Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy? I'm looking for something relatively straightforward and engaging to listen to at the gym which doesn't get bogged down in ~worldbuilding~ and magic systems at the expense of the plot, this had near-universally good reviews but with the fantasy genre I don't put as much stock in them as I used to. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Finally got around to reading _Rocannon's World_. How did LeGuin possibly write such a good first novel?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

I really enjoyed the Fitz Hexalogy. Pretty unique.
If you still enjoy the rest of the farseer trilogy you're reading, check out her Live Ship series.

Check out Tigana by...I forget the author right now but he's really good and Tigana's really fantastic.

Yeah, I enjoyed Tigana a lot. Haven't read any of his other books.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Finally got around to reading _Rocannon's World_. How did LeGuin possibly write such a good first novel?

I doubt I've read her entire catalog, but every LeGuin book I've read has been great. I think she's just a natural writer (or didn't publish until she had polished her skills).

Even the later Earthsea books that forgot about Ged and focused on Tehanu were good, I just think I was too young to appreciate them when I first read them.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

multijoe posted:

What're peoples' thoughts on Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy? I'm looking for something relatively straightforward and engaging to listen to at the gym which doesn't get bogged down in ~worldbuilding~ and magic systems at the expense of the plot, this had near-universally good reviews but with the fantasy genre I don't put as much stock in them as I used to. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Do you enjoy hundreds of pages about a teenage boy lost in the woods?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed Tigana a lot. Haven't read any of his other books.

I recommend Last Light of the Sun.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She is a genius, to say it bluntly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

coyo7e posted:

Is there any urban fantasy outside of Iron Druid, where the setting is not "whatever big-city setting the author knows well and/or gets their rocks off, going into insane detail about?" I'd really enjoy more urban fantasy that's more.. Rural I guess? I'm getting kind of tired about reading about London/Vegas/LA/Miami/etc. I mean you cannot throw a nickel in a library without hitting a novel set in fantasy London, for instance.. And Vegas comes in right on its heels.

Eventually I'll just have to get off my lazy rear end and write some $2.99 pulp urban fantasy about living in rural northern california or something, I suppose. Chupacabras eating weed growers and meth dealers? Yes, please!

The book I just finished, Carter & Lovecraft by Jonathan Howard is mostly set in Rhode Island with a little bit in New York.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Either Seal Team 13 or Seal Team 666 has weird poo poo monsters in random places like mexico or thailand (I think, it's been a while since I read em).

Also throwing a recommendation to Carter & Lovecraft. It ended up being a lot better than I expected it to be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

andrew smash posted:

She is a genius, to say it bluntly.

I think part of it is that she's the only author I'm aware of who managed to steal profitably from Lord Dunsany. In this early book it's really clear -- she manages to have these holy-poo poo what just happened amazing sentences that are very evocative of Dunsany's style, and she pulls it off; when most other writers try the same thing it just sounds hackneyed and pretentious. She really, really knows what she's doing.

20 more hours on her kickstarter, by the way:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arwencurry/worlds-of-ursula-k-le-guin

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Kraps posted:

Any opinions on the Nexus series by Ramez Naam? It looks kind of like Lock-In which I enjoyed.

I haven't read the third one yet, but I enjoyed the first two enough to recommend them to my brother.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm a bit late to the party, but KSR's Aurora is really something. I devoured it in a couple of days and had the pleasure of going into it completely unspoiled. And then I went on Goodreads and saw it was rated something like 3.7. What the hell, people?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Some people probably feel like it's some kind of downer ending and it leaves them a bad taste. Must have expected something different going in. I had that initial reaction but after thinking about it realized it's very sobering but not nihilistic or depressing at all.

To be honest I should have seen it coming when people started a civil war inside the ship. My reaction was one part "oh poo poo KSR really went there and poo poo is going down" and one part it was like reading a history book about the Reconstruction and having that sinking feeling.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 4, 2016

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's the most optimistic portrayal of realistic human space travel yet!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

multijoe posted:

Bad, generic fantasy with nothing interesting going on. I never understood why it got good reviews. I kept waiting for it to get good, and it never happened.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

multijoe posted:

It has a neat twist near the end, which I don't recall seeing in any other fantasy, but not neat enough to be a worthwhile payoff for reading the whole thing, IMO. You could do worse if you're looking for Generic High Fantasy Novel #672, but that's all it is.

(The twist, for those interested: there's a prophecy -- because of course there is -- which is basically labeled "instructions on how to defeat the encroaching evil that threatens everything you know and love". Accordingly, a large part of the series consists of the protagonists trying to get all the pieces in place to fulfill it, so they can defeat the encroaching evil etc.

Turns out the prophecy was written by the elves back in an era when human settlers were doing their best to wipe them out. The "encroaching evil" is humans and the prophecy is instructions for building a superweapon that kills humans. Oops.
)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I am halfway through The Coldest War, book 2 of Ian Trelligis' Milkweed Triptych... And I am liking it more than I thought I would when I began. It started out as just Nazi superheroes vs British warlocks... But it's much less about juvenile fantasy action figures being postured to fight each other by a man child than it is the lengths of actions people will go to in times of war. The writing isn't flawless but has definitely improved as its gone along (I rolled my eyes at how Marsh and Stephenson were introduced). The alternate history stuff is also pleasantly understated. The writer is not going to rub his research in your face but there's clear some knowledge there and some thought behind it. Solid books.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

ToxicFrog posted:

It has a neat twist near the end, which I don't recall seeing in any other fantasy, but not neat enough to be a worthwhile payoff for reading the whole thing, IMO. You could do worse if you're looking for Generic High Fantasy Novel #672, but that's all it is.

From what I've heard, Memory, Sorrow & Thorn had some more novel (for its time) takes on the fantasy genre than just that one twist, and had a then-unprecedented length (which made it the most "epic"). But now so many series have met and surpassed the standard it set that it would probably seem quaint if you read it today.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Solitair posted:

From what I've heard, Memory, Sorrow & Thorn had some more novel (for its time) takes on the fantasy genre than just that one twist, and had a then-unprecedented length (which made it the most "epic"). But now so many series have met and surpassed the standard it set that it would probably seem quaint if you read it today.

That does make it sound faintly interesting, but it's still probably not something to listen to on audiobook. I'll bear it in mind next time I want to give epic fantasy another spin though

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I am halfway through The Coldest War, book 2 of Ian Trelligis' Milkweed Triptych...

I was really suprised by these books as well and would suggest them to anyone interested. I really liked the xmen like super heroes the nazi's created and as you mentioned the portrayal of the depths people will go to during times of desperation really was great in these books.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Solitair posted:

Oh wow, I had no idea it was that old! I read MS&T around 2008 and thought it was a relatively recent publication for some reason.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Marshal Radisic posted:

Man, it's been years since I read that. I'd also say that you shouldn't let the fact that the premise reads like a Baen-esque right-wing milsf fantasy put you off. Ultimately it's a story about a simple, conservative man trying to deal with the fact that the people he trusts as his leaders are monsters. From what little I've read of Judson, it was very much a "write what you know" situation.
Yeah, I thought it was a damned good book, but would have to give fair warning that while the many of the actual characters are pretty sympathetic, it's set in an exceptionally nasty (think 'boot stamping on a human face, forever') society.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Reason posted:

I just finished Windup Girl and I read Water Knife not too long ago. I'm interested if anyone has any more recommendations for similar books(bio-engineering and global warming gone rampant). Would it be right to call it near future speculative fiction? Not even sure if this is the right thread to ask.

This was near nine pages ago, but you might be interested in Liberation: Being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America. It goes full anime toward the end but overall I found it really neat + good. The same author also has a book called Lost Everything that was pretty cool and might be of interest. His style won't be for everyone but the images he conjures up of post-collapse America are quite cool. Both are near-future speculative fiction, no pew-pew lasers or spaceships or anything involved.

I mostly just wanted to post these because they're neat and I don't know that I've ever seen Slattery mentioned in the thread. He may be a bit too SFF-adjacent, crossing the boundary into like ... speculative weird fiction? Reasonably similar to the kind of new weird that Gilman turns out in certain ways, just in the way he handles Americana and shrugs at genre conventions.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
This Amazon listing seems a little wrong General Battuta. Unless you have stacks of pen names?

http://imgur.com/FZvyPD1

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ClydeFrog posted:

This Amazon listing seems a little wrong General Battuta. Unless you have stacks of pen names?

http://imgur.com/FZvyPD1

Huh, that's weird. She was one of my editors. Let me see what's up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Huh, that's weird. She was one of my editors. Let me see what's up.

THE EDITOR REVOLT HAS BEGUN

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Megazver posted:

THE EDITOR REVOLT HAS BEGUN

More meat for the Masquerade

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This was near nine pages ago, but you might be interested in Liberation: Being the Adventures of the Slick Six After the Collapse of the United States of America. It goes full anime toward the end

This gives me pause, sorry.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I've really been enjoying the Wolfhound Century books and the last part comes out in paperback in a few days. Set in a dismal otherworld soviet style dystopia with a folktale forest and crashed landed archangels from beyond the stars. As usual it's the human characters that manage to be the most awful and it's been very gripping.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you're not Russian, I suppose.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Movac posted:

Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake and its sequels have one hell of a bio-engineered apocalypse.

These were awesome, once I got started I couldn't put them down. I wish we had more of Jimmy in the last book and maybe a little bit more insight into Crake's intentions but overall loved this series. Now to start on some of the other recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

Neurosis posted:

I am halfway through The Coldest War, book 2 of Ian Trelligis' Milkweed Triptych... And I am liking it more than I thought I would when I began. It started out as just Nazi superheroes vs British warlocks... But it's much less about juvenile fantasy action figures being postured to fight each other by a man child than it is the lengths of actions people will go to in times of war. The writing isn't flawless but has definitely improved as its gone along (I rolled my eyes at how Marsh and Stephenson were introduced). The alternate history stuff is also pleasantly understated. The writer is not going to rub his research in your face but there's clear some knowledge there and some thought behind it. Solid books.

The book that got me started on Tregillis is Something More Than Night, which I personally loved. I went into Milkweed expecting more noir stylings and, despite being disappointed on that front, thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't like what I usually read and while I was lost on some of the history stuff, I never felt clueless. His other series, the Alchemy Wars, starts with The Mechanical which has some interesting takes on slavery and ownership. The second book in the series, The Rising came out just recently and starts out with a glaring inconsistency I want to write and ask him about, but, other than that, is really good.