Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Grem posted:

I don't know how you could gently caress up your final physical enough to not get 30%.

Keep laughing I'm reloading!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I call that the merkin urchin

it's like if I shaved my face but hair grew on my lips and gums and I didn't shave that hair but somehow imagined women would desire to go anywhere near that with anything but a cock

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I don't mind hair down there. Pussy's pussy and I'm usually content with that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

App13 posted:

22-23 is when females turn from girls to women and lose a bit of hope about life, imo. Aka its prime relationship time.

Though it seems that I only ever meet girls that are 18-21, or 26-32. Never in between. Not complaining, though. I'm in my mid twenties so I don't mind the 18-21 crowd, and I have some mom issues so I don't mind loving the 26-32 crowd.

That's because many men and women between the ages of 22-23 are entering the workforce for the first time after college. Dating anyone with no real life experience isn't probably going to work out in the long term, which is why the 18-21 year old demographic (for men and women) isn't great for any sort of relationship, especially if you're coming at it as someone who's been jaded by years of dumbness in the military.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I dated a girl who had a dope landing strip. It was classy looking.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

psydude posted:

That's because many men and women between the ages of 22-23 are entering the workforce for the first time after college. Dating anyone with no real life experience isn't probably going to work out in the long term, which is why the 18-21 year old demographic (for men and women) isn't great for any sort of relationship, especially if you're coming at it as someone who's been jaded by years of dumbness in the military.

I dated an undergrad for a while and honestly the best thing about it was that she didn't give a gently caress about the military so I never had to deal with the stupid questions or try to explain it. I have found it more frustrating with date women close to my age because they want to force an understanding that just isn't gonna happen. It's best when someone doesn't give a gently caress and will listen but won't pry.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Zeris posted:

I dated an undergrad for a while and honestly the best thing about it was that she didn't give a gently caress about the military so I never had to deal with the stupid questions or try to explain it. I have found it more frustrating with date women close to my age because they want to force an understanding that just isn't gonna happen. It's best when someone doesn't give a gently caress and will listen but won't pry.

The worst is when they think you NEED to talk about things with them, like its part of getting better.

I'm sorry but I really don't want to talk to a 30 year old music teacher about the poo poo that goes on in Asian ports. That's what my therapist is for, and she does a fine job of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

App13 posted:

Might be the wrong thread, but anyone have experience with Voc rehab buying them a laptop? I'm using an iPad pro right now, which is awesome, but I need something to run ArcGIS
If you're wanting to run ArcGIS probably don't do it on an Apple product. None of my teachers have had anything nice to say about how the OSX version has worked for students.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
What about running it in Windows through boot camp?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mike-o posted:

What about running it in Windows through boot camp?
Can't see an issue there, should work fine. I think it's mostly an issue of the OSX port not being done very well.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I was planning on boot camp. I'm just a fan of apple notebooks, though there is definitely a hefty premium.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a form you'll need to get someone from the school to sign that says you need a computer (trivially easy to do) and then the VA will get you a cheap but still new laptop. I've never taken them up on that offer (cause I can't get them to drop 2500 on a new MBP) but I have got them to fix the screen on my macbook pro.

Just talk to your counselor and tell them that you need a laptop for school.

This is what's going to help me going to film school. I could probably get them to buy me a copy of CS6 too. Also possibly a good camera

There is ALSO another option and one I used. There's something called the American Opportunity Tax Credit (https://www.irs.gov/uac/American-Opportunity-Tax-Credit) that essentially gives you a bunch of money back for computer purchases as a student. I've used it twice now because it doesn't matter how many times as long as you are under the cap (it does add up though). So even though I have an iMac, I'll probably get a MBP because portability is a good thing. And they're ultimately better than iMacs for editing.

Wishlist for Vocrehab - Canon 5d Mk III (Video and photo)
MBP
???

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Remember, for voc rehab, you have to prove there are jobs in the field. So film/photography might be a stretch if you're planning on doing what everyone does with their phones and twitter.

I got a Dell. It was new and had all the typical Microsoft office poo poo and McAfee. Got it right before windows 8 hit so I missed all that terribleness but it's way outdated now. Probably going to bug them for something new again when I get back into school this fall.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but dude, you got a dell :thumbsup:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
And it still works.

Color me surprised.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so I'm retarded and a few beers in, so I don't feel like researching a bunch of VA websites, but is Voc Rehab basically for trade school or what

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

so I'm retarded and a few beers in, so I don't feel like researching a bunch of VA websites, but is Voc Rehab basically for trade school or what

I'm on Voc rehab and getting a bachelors in geology

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No. Unless you want to go to vocational school.

And depending on what your disability, that may still be a no.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I've been leaning towards computer science or something along those lines. Disability poo poo is nothing physical.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Remember, for voc rehab, you have to prove there are jobs in the field. So film/photography might be a stretch if you're planning on doing what everyone does with their phones and twitter.

I got a Dell. It was new and had all the typical Microsoft office poo poo and McAfee. Got it right before windows 8 hit so I missed all that terribleness but it's way outdated now. Probably going to bug them for something new again when I get back into school this fall.

You'd be surprised. There are two things I'm grateful for the military teaching me. The first is the ability to wake up at a snap be on my feet and ready to do whatever. He second is my MOS is pretty much a bunch of jobs rolled into one. If I can't be an editor, I can be a producer, if not hat, camera work. If not that then scripting, if not that then talent or broadcast (like a DJ), if not that community relations. Etc.

There are actually a bunch of jobs in this industry. It's hard to get though because a lot of people want them.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wait a sec, if you burn up all your GI Bill does that mean you can use another 48 months of voc rehab if you wanted to?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I asked that question to the counselor and the answer I got was "it depends". The paperwork says you can't use it if you have no G I Bill left. The safest bet is to start using it with just one semester left but it does eat your G I Bill time. Make an appointment for an intake and find out!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No.

You would have an additional 12 months for 48 months maximum. This is the cap on education benefits, period. There are ways to go beyond that, but they require signatures and waivers and poo poo.

So do 48 months under VR&E, or 36 months under post-9/11 covering the difference on your books and any specific poo poo you need like a laptop or software that isn't rolled into tuition as a technology fee, then go to VR&E and have all that piddly poo poo covered (except meal plans) for 12 more months.

I would just suck it up, sign up for VR&E, take their tests and sign their papers. Nothing is written in stone, you can change majors if your first choice doesn't fit. Meet with a counselor once a semester (usually in a federal building of your nearest city), do your poo poo, and you'll be fine.

Just make sure you go in with a plan. And those tests are a joke. My top result with the occupational skills test was some poo poo like ceramic engineering, followed by forestry, then a slew of earth sciences. So yeah, gently caress engineering (for me, cool for you cats), but it was otherwise right.

10% service-connected or 20% VA disability rating minimums. If you don't have at least that, you're stuck with post-9/11 period.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 5, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I had no idea it was 4 years period. Definitely looking into vocrehab

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not a lot of guys know about voc rehab, period. So any of your vet bros at school, fill them in if they have disability. They deserve to know it's an option, and probably have heard precisely dick about it before.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Holy poo poo, was I being helpful?

Clearly I'm not stoned enough.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I just applied to switch over to voc rehab from post 9/11. The best part? If you're at an expensive school, they cover the entire cost of tuition.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rumor claims if you have a non-service connected disability that still prevents you from doing your career, you can still be eligible for voc rehab. Some chick claimed her husband started going deaf at 50 or so, and he was an air traffic controller, so obviously that's a no-go. Apparently he's an accountant or some poo poo now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are voc rehab programs outside of the VA. If he was out more than 15 years, he probably went through another program.

And yes, non service connected can claim voc rehab. That's why there's a 20% requirement for a VA disability rating outside of service connected. You still have to finagle your way onto VA disability if you haven't, but it's there. My mental health claim is rated as separate, so VA disability, from my back and leg claims, which are service connected. But I exceed the minimum for service connected, which is, again, 10%. My total combined beats the requirements with a sizable stick. If you're in a similar boat, you will be fine.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Are all for profit schools bad?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Soulex posted:

You'd be surprised. There are two things I'm grateful for the military teaching me. The first is the ability to wake up at a snap be on my feet and ready to do whatever. He second is my MOS is pretty much a bunch of jobs rolled into one. If I can't be an editor, I can be a producer, if not hat, camera work. If not that then scripting, if not that then talent or broadcast (like a DJ), if not that community relations. Etc.

There are actually a bunch of jobs in this industry. It's hard to get though because a lot of people want them.

Be careful of this.

I have a friend who is a well known film camera man, been on lot's of blockbuster films and he wanted to get into directing. In order for him to do this he had to just utterly give up camera work. Apparently you are either a camera operator or a director, you won't be taken seriously by the industry if you try both. He went over a year with no work just to get the break he needed to stop people thinking he was a camera operator. He directed a few commercials then went back to the cameras as he said he just couldn't break into directing, there's far too many people with better contacts but not necessarily more talent.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soulex posted:

Are all for profit schools bad?

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: almost assuredly with few exceptions, such as certifications

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: almost assuredly with few exceptions, such as certifications

And even then those certs are cheaper at a community college with better instructors/facilities.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

And even then those certs are cheaper at a community college with better instructors/facilities.

In IT this isn't always the case. There's for profit companies that partner with hardware and software vendors to conduct certification courses spanning a couple of days to a couple of weeks. It's a much more compressed timeline because they teach 8 hours a day, so it's typically targeted toward businesses that need to train their employees.

As far as degrees are concerned, though, community colleges are always better than for profit schools.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Ok so I'm playing the VA website game of clicking every link and just getting the most generic information possible regarding Voc Rehab and get poo poo like this

quote:

Eligibility and Entitlement
Services that may be provided by the VR&E Program include:

Comprehensive evaluation to determine abilities, skills, and interests for employment
Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and medical referrals
Independent living services for Veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities

which makes it sound like I basically get a lifecoach or something out of the deal. I know that I'm being really dense about this whole program,and I've had a friend that got out under similar circumstances recommend that I check it out, but a lot of the above sounds like a lot of VA fluff as I don't have a lot of faith in VA to actually do anything beneficial for me aside from cutting school a check.

I'm rated 60% from VA, I have like 33 months of GI Bill remaining (I used a semesters worth of MGIB like 8 years ago) and am looking at doing my lower tier classes at a community college, transferring to the state university (University of Idaho) while ideally working on a Computer Science type degree. What is something that I can read that breaks down the advantages of using Voc Rehab over just standard post 9/11. "Literally Shaking" you're giving good information but I guess I don't see exactly why I should be beating down doors trying to get into this.

I guess I need some sort of powerpoint slide briefing with task, conditions and standards in order to show me a comparison of what using VR over traditional gi bill.

I just read this http://www.disabledveterans.org/2010/06/25/1-unofficial-guide-to-chapter-31-voc-rehab/ which seemed useful but at the end of the day that dick wants you to pay $20 for a strategy guide so I can't take it that serious as a source of information :(

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp

Do not pay anyone for information. That's just a waste of time.

You just have a counselor that you meet with once a semester, not a life coach. You make your own decisions, they are just the government mouthpiece.

So you have 33 months post-9/11. Congrats, under VR&E, that's 45 months left.

If nothing else, it's worth it just to get your books covered entirely and not having to wait like a bitch for your book stipend check.

VR&E is not on the same level as your regular VA employees, or at least that I've found. My counselors have given a poo poo. Any problems and they were on it. You're more likely to have the certifying official at school dick up your paperwork than a VR&E counselor. Way the gently caress more likely. So, deal with that official yourself on post-9/11, or have your VR&E counselor chew that rear end for you.

The simplest answer is just sign up and get a meeting with a counselor who can better explain this in person. Follow that link above, sign up through ebenefits, and you should have an appointment in 4-6 weeks, probably sooner.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
OK, I'll fill out the form and see what happens, worst case scenario I guess I can just resort to my original plan of not using it. I appreciate your time/post. I just have to get over my usual disgust for VA related poo poo and check it out for myself.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No worries.

They really can be a step above at VR&E. And it's definitely worth your time. It may just seem like hoops to jump through, but these are the lowest hoops in the VA. Lots of dudes here on it or have been before, and while there are still kinks in the system, it's relatively painless.

Also, no more calling the general benefits line for education poo poo questions or trying to get your poo poo untucked while being tossed around on hold 45 minutes at a time. Just leave a mesage with your counselor and poo poo gets done.

Might seem like a headache, but I preferred it to playing gently caress-gently caress games waiting on hold for this or standing around waiting on the certifying official for that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I remember looking into Voc Rehab and it being worse for me then Post-9/11 /w Yellow Ribbon, I wish I could remember which specific benefit it was that I wouldn't have though. I'm pretty sure it was one big thing because I was all set to do it then went "lol nope"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Probably the BAH stipend.

It used to be about half of what the stipend post-9/11 is, but that's been fixed and now you fill out a form with the counselor and boom, full post-9/11 BAH.

I can understand turning that down back years ago, especially if you had plenty of post-9/11 benefits left, but those days are gone now.

• Locked thread